2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

AceHarris

I like a combo of alone and group running. I actually like workouts with people more than easy runs, but that’s because many of my RBs do their easy runs too fast. A solid track workout with people to work off of and cheer on makes for a good training day.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Pretty much disagree 100% with all of that, in the most respectful way possible.

PJ - not quite sure what you disagree with above - can you clarify?  (lotta conversation above).

+100 to Jmac's comment.  It is really important not to overdo the LT, since overshooting it just a bit makes it a completely different stimulus.  And for people with an excess of speed, they tend to overshoot LT effort because they're actually a bit more comfortable with that anaerobic assist.  Basically, you need to make sure that you stay in 3rd gear when tempoing - shifting up to 4th gear makes it a different workout.

I agree with Ace too that having people to work out with can be fun.  Or, for me, it is good practice since I prefer to run by myself and get a bit tense when in a pack - since races are not solo time trials, I need to be comfortable running near others.  But I also agree with Brew's point about being able to focus on one's effort easier when by oneself - that's why I prefer to be solo for my most important marathon workouts.

So basically I just agreed with everyone.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

For tough workouts like intervals I would always choose to do the workout with others, if possible.  Conversely, I much prefer to do my long runs by myself, or with one other person who doesn't chit chat.  Also, when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself.

pepperjack

pie man

The post directly above mine.  Running with people will make you better.  Track will make you better.  I've seen it over and over again.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I should say the runswere done faster than the cap of 7:00 and run by feel. I kind of failed on both parts (harder than comfortably hard and staying under the cap) but succeeded in finding those two things out. I guess I wouldn’t understand ‘run by feel but occasionally check pace’ other than mile splits and even those felt like I slowed down/sped up at times. Still kind of a foreign concept for me.

As someone who has struggled mightily with LT pace this cycle, I cannot stress enough that you need to run by feel. I use my LT pace as a cap in how fast I can go, not a target. Therefore, if I went out in this 3x2 mile workout at what felt like LT pace, but was actually 10 seconds slower, I wouldn't intentionally put in more effort to get to LT pace. However, if I was 10 seconds faster than LT pace, I certainly would intentionally slow down.

You should honestly run every single pace that way: easy pace and MP are caps, not targets.

Pj: I guess I need to find more running friends. I don’t have too many. I would think running with slower people

might not make me faster though just because I’d feel like I’m showing off. Then again, if I can’t ever keep up it doesn’t really help either. Totally respect you disagreeing too. Didn’t take it negative I was actually going to ask for clarification. Hope all is well in NorCal.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

So basically I just agreed with everyone.

I think lawyers do this frequently.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Maybe I’m just fortunate because I grew up at the track and it’s never been anything but a place to get serious work done?  I sorta feel like removing all the other factors actually helps a workout be more focused.  I just can’t quite get the same intensity when doing laps around a path in a park or something like that.  And I have tried.

As for the people, I think it’s more an accountability thing.  And a bit of mutual motivation.  I really don’t have any science to back it up, but it just seems like anyone that joins a group gets faster, even if they were fast already.  I know it helped me, I was running 21 minute 5ks and 1:40 halfs.  A year and half later I was running 18 minute 5ks and sub 1:30 halfs.  And nabbed the BQ.  But if you don’t have a good group, or a close group that’s tough.  Sorta where I am right now, driving down to healdsburg every other week isn’t cutting it.  Strava community is probably closest thing I have right now.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Maybe I’m just fortunate because I grew up at the track and it’s never been anything but a place to get serious work done?  I sorta feel like removing all the other factors actually helps a workout be more focused.  I just can’t quite get the same intensity when doing laps around a path in a park or something like that.  And I have tried.

As for the people, I think it’s more an accountability thing.  And a bit of mutual motivation.  I really don’t have any science to back it up, but it just seems like anyone that joins a group gets faster, even if they were fast already.  I know it helped me, I was running 21 minute 5ks and 1:40 halfs.  A year and half later I was running 18 minute 5ks and sub 1:30 halfs.  And nabbed the BQ.  But if you don’t have a good group, or a close group that’s tough.  Sorta where I am right now, driving down to healdsburg every other week isn’t cutting it.  Strava community is probably closest thing I have right now.

I guess that has more to do with it (good group) than just picking any group. I never did track and there aren’t many available to run on here so it’s hard to find one. Now...it could also be just my personality that I don’t like people too much and I have started running from the beginning with the watch being my friend. Totally get your side. The best part of running is it’s usually different for everyone. Not in a bad way too.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh yeah...kkrunner had her child. 5lbs 22 Oz 19 inches long. 3/21/19. Unsure if it is on the page of faces since I don’t do those things anymore.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Oh yeah...kkrunner had her child. 5lbs 22 Oz 19 inches long. 3/21/19. Unsure if it is on the page of faces since I don’t do those things anymore.

It is - and YAY KK!

On training in groups - I think a lot of the benefit is from the motivation and the information sharing.  And just from the fact that it's fun, and people generally run and race their best when they enjoy their training.

That being said, there are two big downsides - one is getting dependent on others to pull you through workouts, and thus being unable to handle being an island during a race, or to pace oneself.  The other downside is getting sucked into running faster than is best for your training.   I see this happen a lot - people crow about how wonderful it is to have their teammates push them during workouts.  And then somehow their races never live up to their workouts.

My week: 56 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming.
                      M: 8 "miles" pool-running.
                      T: 8 miles very easy (8:57) plus strengthwork and core.
                      W: 7.5 miles very easy (9:08), yoga, then another 4.5 miles very easy (8:38) plus drills/strides
                      Th: upper body strength/core and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                      F: 12 miles, including 2x3200m on the track in 12:48 (6:28/6:20) and 12:38 (6:21/6:17).  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                      Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:36) plus drills/strides and then upperbody strength/core plus some DIY yoga.
                      Su: 14 miles progressive, with the first 4 miles averaging 8:34, next 4 averaged 7:16, last 6 averaging 6:42.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

CK - please report in on Chisholm Trail - I'm selfishly very interested to hear all about it, as I'm considering the half for next year.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Congrats KK!!!

my week:

M: 3 easy + weights

T: 5 easy + swim

W: 5 easy + weights

Th: urd

F: 5 easy

S: 7 easy with strides

S: 10 easy

total = 35

kcam

Got in 57 miles this week.  My first week of 50+ miles since May 2018.  Woohoo!

Ran the 1st leg (7.2M) of the Oakland Marathon Relay this morning.  Surprised myself by being able to hold 7:00 pace for 7+ miles.  I thought I'd be closer to 7:15.  My splits were pretty darn good at 6:58, 7:00, 6:54, 7:01, 7:02, 6:59, 7:04, 7:08 (last bit).

After tagging off I stopped for a gatorade and then kept jogging to the second relay exchange on Treasure Island out on the Bay.  I just wanted to get in 15 miles for the day and wanted to run the Bay Bridge since I'll probably never have that chance again.  I was still able to bring that run in at 8:13 pace.   Perfect day to race.

Next race will be a 10miler in Sacramento on April 7th.  Enough time to get in at least one more 15-17mile run.

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

track is good for you. also, track is bad.

carry on.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That being said, there are two big downsides - one is getting dependent on others to pull you through workouts, and thus being unable to handle being an island during a race, or to pace oneself.  The other downside is getting sucked into running faster than is best for your training.   I see this happen a lot - people crow about how wonderful it is to have their teammates push them during workouts.  And then somehow their races never live up to their workouts.

Well I was going to post this same thing, but DW has it perfectly. I always see these training groups in Central Park, where people are doing workouts with 5+ in a group. There is NO way all of those people have the same fitness, so what happens is that one person is training correctly, and everyone else slower is training too hard. The only time I could see the benefit of running in a group is when you would bail on a workout for "mental" reasons rather than physical reasons, e.g. you just don't feel like doing the last rep when you probably could if you could build up the willpower. Also, sometimes groups force you to get out the door, which can be the hardest part of any run.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I mean...I'm kind of dependent on the people here, and on Strava, for getting me through workouts. I know everyone can see my workouts and most are experienced enough to be able to look at my runs and identify where I quit/bonked/went to hard/etc. I've had solo long runs I could have used someone to help me get through, and I've had workouts where I'd rather be alone. Just like people participating, or not (see rlk/max/kev4x100/etc.), in this forum. Free to join and you get what you pay for. Plus it's easy to scroll past someones post/advice/experience/opinion and ignore it without them even knowing. 

I get to decide on doing 2x3 mile tomorrow, or skipping it and doing a tempoISH run Tuesday and the 9-10 mile one Thursday. DW is going to a friend's house after work (new baby) to hang out so I get to stay home. Maybe I'll run the 6 mile hill on lunch since I haven't done that this year, it is downhill training, and hard.

My Week:

59.1 miles. Decent. I could have hit 60 but just didn't care enough to (it is only a number) and Sunday was a nice day to just run by feel/joy. The rest of the house was sleeping because it was after a little kid birthday part (food comas???). Thursday was too hard. I learned how that feels again and to CAP my workout pace, not HIT my workout pace, at times. Tuesday felt good I think. I probably blocked it out. Saturday's long run was cold and snowy but enjoyable with 2/3 of the usual suspects. Original plan was 16 but weather and mentally enjoying being done 30 minutes earlier won that day. Only one TRX workout as I think doing it after the tempo/threshold run would have been too much for me. Maybe I'm wrong there. Opinions?

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11771317/training/log

Fun title names above. I can't seem to figure out the rwol-appspot thingy again.

VDOT 53.37