2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Nice week.

Marco - Fancy seeing you here! Listen to Ilana. There's a reason she's the Pace Prophet.

Brew - Nice week, and good mileage for March.

SClever - Ouch. But I obviously didn't have to tell you that. My brother had a similar impact (fell while ice skating last year) and it literally rotated his pelvis out of alignment. Hopefully you don't have anything like that.

Ilana - Sounds like a great week. Good luck on the 5k (should you choose to run).

Rovatti - Nice week as well. How're thing going?

Miserable Wall o' Text from me:

More easy running from me this past week, though I missed my LR due to travel. I still managed ~50 miles, and since I'm just enjoying building back my fitness and not training for anything specific the missed LR doesn't bother me.

Work finally came through and said that everyone who put their name in the hat for a free marathon entry is going to get one. No word yet on the coupon code we'll use for that, though. 25 days and counting to the marathon...

I'm very much a data guy, which has lead me to a program/website called Xert. It mostly revolves around bike training (specifically with a power meter), but they're also doing a beta for people (like me) who are using a running power meter (Stryd). Very interesting stuff in how they track threshold/1 hour power, the max you can output, etc., and how long you should be able to hold given outputs.
    One thing I'm looking forward to testing is a Garmin datafield that's built around using their algorithms to tackle Strava segments. Basically it takes how they view your fitness, compares it to how long a segment is, and gives you a single number (power target) to run at in order to finish the segment as fast as possible - and it will change this target up or down based on if it thinks you're going to hard or too easy. There's a .4mi/.64km uphill segment (~40' / 12.2meter e-gain for the curious) I plan on testing this on later this week as part of a fartlek workout. This should be fun in and of itself, but as an aside it can help me better learn how specific shorter race efforts should feel, which is something I could definitely use improvement on.

One of our local marathons had its final running over the weekend, and I was a bit bummed not to get to do it. It was won by a guy who seems to run ~2:35 for the marathon no matter what - downhill, flat, cold, or hot he always runs the same. The HM in particular is super-asterisky. Downhill for the first 9.5 miles (~500' of overall loss, just a couple tiny rollers), then rolling uphill (~90') for the remainder. It's also a perfectly straight course and had a 5-10mph tailwind the entire way. I know of several people who are using this race to help decide on a goal pace for Botswana - including a guy who set PRs for all distances from 10k to the HM during the race. I hope that doesn't come back to bite people.

Oh, and local elections today (mayor, school board). I'll probably run to/from the polling place for lunch.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

airbnb sucks! Race reservation canceled. No longer available. This is why hotels are better than renting a room in someone's house. Last time was Chicago and THAT was a sheet show. Nothing like finding out a month before race day your room reservations are canceled ($135 for a night near the finish and close to the Pacific Ocean). UUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

marco I'd think if you do some 8-10 mile runs at Marathon Pace with a warm up and cool down of about 2 miles you'd be good for a 3:30 you'd be fine for race day. Just taper correctly and don't start too fast in the marathon. If you're feeling like you can go faster at mile 20 start going faster. Otherwise just cruise towards a 3:29. The goal would be to get the feeling of what marathon effort and pace would be like. This would be in addition to the weekend long runs. I'm one to go out and try and stay within 5 seconds slower or faster than race pace. Roughly 8:00 pace (7:53-8:03 would be the actual window) would get you where you want to be.

https://www.belfastcitymarathon.com/download/files/2019%20Marathon%20Map.png

wow...that is a lot of turns.

PJ Malik Reed? I don't really attend or care about the local college football team. Nice way to get some pocket money. My BIL did it for a short while. He might still do it.

keen maybe that 2:35 guy really knows how marathon effort feels (not joking). He might be someone to talk with about training and such. I've recently considered asking some local runners about their pacing for races but I'd have to go run with them and make friends....which is something I don't really want to do at this point in my life. I just want to complain about running so much I have no friends. Oh and I'm using a "super asterisky" course for the 4/20/20 marathon. long hair don't care.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

In case anyone is interested in pacing....info@beastpacing is looking for runners at the following races. Probably the easiest way to jump into pacing is to email them and say you'd like to do a race. I just said I'd do a 1:50 pace because I'll end up getting my long run in that way.

Hi Team-

We still have the following time slots open on upcoming races. Please let me know if you are interested in taking any helping out on any of these races. Additionally, if you know someone else who might be interested in pacing please feel free to forward this email.

4/6/18 Salisbury Marathon & Half Marathon (Salisbury, MD) - 1:40, 2:45 half

4/6/19 Downtown River Run Marathon/Half (Reno, NV) - Marathon 3:30, 4:00, 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, Half Marathon - 1:40, 1:50

4/7/19 Go! St. Louis Marathon & Half Marathon (St.Louis, MO) - Team is full, but can add in one more 3:15 and 3:40 marathon pacer

4/7/19 Cheap Marathon (Salisbury, MA) - Anyone???

4/13/19 Blue Ridge Marathon & Half Marathon (Roanoke, VA) - Half:1:45, 2:00, 3:00

4/13/19 Brian Mickelsen Memorial Half Marathon (Cottonwood, AZ) - 1:45

4/14/19 Coastal Delaware Running Festival (Rehoboth Beach, DE) - 1:35 half

4/20/19 Hot Chocolate 15k (Detroit, MI)  - 8:00/mile

4/27/19 Hot Chocolate 15k (Brooklyn, NY) - 8:00/mile

4/28/19 Canaan Vallley Half Marathon (Davis, WV) - 1:40, 2:00

4/28/19 Women's Run Series Albuquerque Half Marathon (Albuquerque, NM) - 2:15, 2:30, 2:45, and 3:00

5/4/19 Ripon's Run Half Marathon (Ripon, CA) - 2:00

5/4/19 Sutter Buttes Spirit Mountain Half Marathon (Sutter, CA) - 3:00

5/4/19 Shiprock Marathon & Half Marathon (Shiprock, NM) - Marathon: 3:15, 3:30, Half Marathon: 1:40, 1:50, 2:15, 2:45, 3:00

5/5/19 Earth Rock Run Half Marathon (Amesbury, MA) - 3:30

5/5/19 Long Island Marathon & Half Marathon (East Meadow, NY) - Marathon: 3:10, 3:20, 3:35, 3:50, 4:05, 4:20, 4:40. Half Marathon: 1:40, 1:50

5/5/19 OC Marathon & Half Marathon (Newport Beach, CA) Marathon: 3:00, 3:05 (2), 3:10 (2), 3:20 (2), 3:25, 3:35, 3:55 (2), 4:20,  4:25, 4:35, 5:05, 5:20

5/12/19 USA Beach Running Championships (Cocoa Beach, FL) Half: 1:40

5/18/19 Martha's Vineyard Marathon & Half Marathon (Martha's Vineyard, MA) Marathon: 3:00, 3:05, 3:10, 3:20, 3:25, 3:30, 3:50, 4:05, 4:35, 4:50, 5:05 Half Marathon: 1:30

Lastly, we just added a 3:15 slot to the 6/9/19 Light at the end of the Tunnel Marathon (Snoqualmie Pass, WA).

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

"The HM in particular is super-asterisky. Downhill for the first 9.5 miles (~500' of overall loss, just a couple tiny rollers), then rolling uphill (~90') for the remainder. It's also a perfectly straight course and had a 5-10mph tailwind the entire way."

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - crazy on the work/marathon thing.  Don't they understand that you need to train for these things?

Speaking of data - my Stryd has been really weird recently - giving me strangely low power readings on some runs, but not all of them (not correlated with shoe choice or running surface).   Dunno what's going on - maybe I need to update the software again.

SC - UGH on the tailbone thing.  I'm hoping that clears quickly.  Sometimes in that area, stuff can really hurt, but not be all that serious.  I hope that's the case for you (not that I want you to hurt).

Brewing - I am so sorry about the Air BNB.  That really does suck.  (you already know my feelings about using Air BNB for race accomodations).  At least you found out now, instead of on arrival, like one of our forum-mates two years ago....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - He certainly does have that pacing nailed down. He's not really a guy who helps other with their training; from what I've gathered he doesn't mind other people joining him for runs, but he also seems to enjoy just dropping anyone who can't keep up - his usual easy runs would be about T effort for me.
              I saw that email as well. No races in fly-over country that I could make.

SClever - Indeed.
              Too bad the race won't be held again - I'm not sure why they're stopping it after 10 years. It has always seemed pretty popular. Maybe someone will step in and take over the races (5k, HM, FM, & 20.6 miler). Hmm... How does one become a race director?..

DWave - Have you updated it recently? They pushed an update (1.1.9) in the last month or so that lessened the smoothing (making it more responsive), but it also unintentionally made it react to wind/air pressure quite a bit. There should be a new update to fix this soon, or you could email their support and ask to go to the previous version or to the new beta one (1.2.0). I've been using the beta for a couple weeks and it's really solid - I like it more than the "old" version.
              I was OOO yesterday for jury duty, but saw the email regarding us all getting in to the marathon when I got back in. It said something along the lines of "we had more people wanting to run than budget, but we moved some things around and everyone is getting an entry" (likely they used t-shirt money for entries). The somewhat frustrating thing about this is that is seems the sender is looking for an "attaboy" for making sure that everyone is getting in, but 6+ months ago I told him exactly how he could save $40 per entry over how they usually do the drawing (waiting until the last minute like this year).

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - I am so sorry about the Air BNB.  That really does suck.  (you already know my feelings about using Air BNB for race accomodations).  At least you found out now, instead of on arrival, like one of our forum-mates two years ago....

True. I was just pissed to find out around 4:45am and wasn't that someone known for booking multiples races/rooms then backing out Wink

Maybe I'll urinate or deficate in their bushes since the SF Gate says that kind of thing happens during the race. Who cares if they're 3 miles +/- 3 miles from the course.  I've emailed the next potential person who had a kid in her profile photo. It might be more accomidating to NeRP being mobile if she has one to match.

keen I am expecting to see your Strava start a marathon countdown. Send out work emails or something so people know how to properly train for a marathon. Are you going to do it as another casual run and stick with a group of people with a goal? Oh and I noticed the marathon in town this weekend might have ZERO pacers. Add to them not running the certified course (possibly not certified at all) and I'm not expecting it to last very long. My hometown cut it's marathon out a while ago due to lack of participants (read: it costs too much based on what we make) and you can see how it dies. Another local race that's been going 50 years might die. The Newspaper who STARTED IT (assumption based on the name) does nothing for it so another RD took it over for a year. I don't expect it to continue and it's apparently the oldest foot race in town. Newspaper does run an article and post lots of photos of the event though. Becoming an RD is NOT something I'm interested in.

I think the people here were telling you to go above that guy to save the company money. Maybe he is going to save money by dipping into that HSA money. Just send an email after the event and say "man 25 days wasn't enough time to train for a marathon. I ran 1 mile more per day up until race day and it was miserable. It would be cheaper and easier to sign up in November."

sc wait....you're going to fly to Oklahoma for a half marathon? You could probably team up with max and do CIM relay and pull off a new PR. As if 88 minutes is slow for a half marathon.

Waiting to hear back about an interview AND a pacing gig (98% sure I'll be pacing Saturday) while also waiting on my boss is boring. You just sit around. How did old people do this before computers?

2x3 mile doesn't sound appealing. I keep saying 2x3 mile but it's actually 3x2 mile again. It's a good thing I don't have to think about marathon training in May.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

True. I was just pissed to find out around 4:45am and wasn't that someone known for booking multiples races/rooms then backing out Wink

Touche.

CK - thanks for the tip - mine is on 1.1.9.  I'm lazy, so maybe I'll wait until the new beta is released for mass consumption.

But yeah, I was running into a pretty strong headwind on Sunday, but my overall power readings were very low.  And Runalyze gave me a "running effectiveness" score of 1.18 for Sunday, and 1.09 for this morning's track workout (no wind) which made no sense.

To the rest of you, Runalyze explains:

Running Effectiveness (RE) is a metric introduced by Dr. Andrew Coggan calculated as the ratio of speed to power. The greater its value, the more 'effective' the runner is at converting external power into speed. Novice or fatigue runners may have lower values since they do not travel as fast for a given power output or must generate more power to achieve the same speed.

RE [kg/N] = Speed [m/s] / Power [W/kg]

Rating

On flat terrain with good running conditions.

• … < RE < 0.99 – below average
                  • 0.99 < RE < 1.01 – near average
                  • 1.01 < RE < 1.05 – good
                  • 1.05 < RE < … – likely the realm of elite world class runners

So yeah, 1.18 and 1.09 make no sense.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I'm looking for a marathon to run all-out, but so far I haven't found one for the fall that won't conflict with something else I'm already running. The OKC Marathon will be just a long training run; I'm not sure if I'll stick with a group or not.
                    I did all I could to try helping them save money, but you can only lead a horse to water. I'll probably offer to help plan this again for next year, but who know if they'll take it.

DWave - I do wish Runalyze would let you see RE based on splits the way you can pace, power, etc. That would be helpful for evaluating workouts.
                    I noticed the issue on that firmware version when a headwind gust at the end of a run moved my power from easy run levels to beyond tempo range, even though my pace didn't really change at all. Going to the new firmware version was pretty painless.

Upcoming Races:

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I agree and will try to follow these ideas Smile

I wanted to see if I can try the 3h20 but it seems more sensible to test the 3h30 first , especially this year Smile

have a good week

marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

AceHarris

Welcome Marco! It's generally good advice to listen to Ilana and ignore Max 

Seems like you have some great base mileage, just have to target your training a little more.

Brew: Race is quickly approaching. How you feeling?

Keen: Are you still planning on doing OKC?

Anyone want to venture a guess on a goal time for this weekend's 10 miler?

Last 11 weeks I've averaged 32 MPW. Mostly easy miles, but have completed some 4-6 mile tempo runs ranging from 6:25-6:55. Mile repeats with one minute rest from 5:48-6:10. Long run up to 15 miles. No racing.

Really have no idea what to go for. Maybe I'll try the dwave method and just go off effort and not look at pace!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - I'm doing OKC as a training run. No goal other than to finish.
                          I'd probably say go with the DWave method, but it if I had to put numbers to it I'd probably say go out in 6:30-6:35/mi and see how that feels.

I won a hat Monday just by joining a Strava group for the company that makes them (and some of my favorite running shorts). I didn't even know they were doing a contest, and thought it was some sort of April Fools prank at first. Then I realized that the email came from a guy who had just followed me on Strava, and whose name I remembered being connected with the company. Yay me!

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: Race is quickly approaching. How you feeling?

Really have no idea what to go for. Maybe I'll try the dwave method and just go off effort and not look at pace!

I'm feeling ready...and also still nervous like any race. The current workouts SEEM to be going really well. Last night's 3x2 mile was really impressive. Felt easy and the body kept wanting to speed up. I've been doing as Jmac and dwave instructed and trying to pay more attention to how it FEELS to run at marathon pace/effort and learn just how much more/easier it can be. Little things like a stomach ache or side pain or just feeling like I'm floating and seeing I'm doing 6:40 which could ruin a goal race. It seems like everything is working together (gels, TRX, pace, thinking, etc.) to build the confidence I'll want going in to race day. I sometimes imagine a 3:03Tight lippedx finish time or hammering out 6:50 miles for the final 10K and how that would feel. I even imagined what it would feel like to finish with a time that gets me in then run the mile or so to the car to get the phone and text a RB my time and call the wife while waiting for my RB to come in with his wife. Looking at stuff like pace and heart rate then the weather and how just going out there and doing it has mentally prepared me kind of reminds me of when I was a casual runner who wouldn't run in the wind then I had no option because "what are you going to do on race day?" was the motivation. I'd LOVE to be in Boston for the race on 4/20/20 and do brunch 4/19/20. Maybe I'd even get a tattoo of the date, distance and finish time. I DID think of matching my brother in law. He got 3:30 (beer time, digital format) tattooed on his wrist and says he wants to make it a watch tattoo. For no reason other than it's easy to cover up and it's runner nerd like.

dude....DEW EEEET!!! I'll throw out 64:00 or bust as a time estimate.

I was literally thinking CIM could be a great place for me to try it (run by feel) IF I get IN to the 4/20/20 marathon. Just show total time, or maybe full blown dwave and look at something like what time it is in the day and run an entire marathon on feel instead of a specific pace (6:55/mi would be REALLY nice) just to see how it goes. I might end up doing better running by feel/with a pace group than looking at the watch.

keen 25 days is plenty of time to train for an all out marathon. Maybe YOU should give the "run by feel and not by pace" thing a shot then report back. Monitor the weather or something random that would distract you from the pace or total time. Do it like they did in the 90s before GPS was affordable to runners. NeRP's mom (also happens to be married to me) was talking about needing new shoes to workout. I sent her to Running Warehouse and she saved like $50 PLUS she could have received a new hat because they were Brooks shoes. Apparently free hats (and sheety bosses) are a thing going on right now.

dwave to add insult to injury...the second rental I looked at said they allow kids during my workout last night. This morning they're booked that weekend. 87% chance I'll make a reservation at a legitimate hotel. Unfortunately there isn't anything near the finish line (beach, zoo, golden gate park) that I know of.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Brew - very close.  different spelling on the first name but probably the same pronunciation.  Definitely the 5'10" he was listed as, if not shorter.  Lived a nice place over the by the golf course where I ran XC, coincidentally...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - very close.  different spelling on the first name but probably the same pronunciation.  Definitely the 5'10" he was listed as, if not shorter.  Lived a nice place over the by the golf course where I ran XC, coincidentally...

Pretty sure that golf course is becoming a school in the next 730 days. Nice neighborhood to put one with the local bike riders across the street. Looked like they were having a party recently. You should have snapped a photo. I’m sure he would have been okay with it.

VDOT 53.37