2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sorry for jumping in here, but I had a question for DW and Brew:

Any preference for hotel for CIM? I see there are a couple of choices (definitely NOT doing Airbnb for reasons we just saw). Not sure if there's really any difference between the ones that are all near the finish line.

I've stayed in two hotels. The Shearton hotel isn't much and after staying there for my second race it's just not worth it to me.  No refrigerator in the room. The Holiday Inn next to the freeway is the Blind Association headquarters and there is a shuttle pick up (school buses) just around the corner, and it's an easy walk back (I did it my first year so you won't die). They charged extra for a late checkout. I didn't notice the noise from the freeway and I could see it from my room.

When we stayed at the Sheraton my wife told me "runners are annoying on a Sunday morning" when the (assumed) half marathoners were being loud in the halls after I'd left...as if it's normal to be making loud noise in the hallway of a hotel at 5am on a Sunday because "IT'S SEE I AM" and NO ONE else is staying at the hotel except runners who are awake to start their Sunday morning run. I think they offer a late checkout complimentary.

I plan to stay in Folsom near the start this year to try something new, and be closer to home. If you want to stay in Folsom I will tell the wife my online friend is riding back to the hotel with me. You'll just have to wait for me to finish, listen to me chat non-stop, and tolerate a 2 year old for the drive. This might require more effort if there is a post-run meetup,  but also depends who is showing up. We could have avocado toast in the morning and take a photo together .

A post-race meet up should probably happen since you're coming and I expect at least rlk to show up to cheer for elites or team mates. Maybe there should be a 2019 CIM thread...but that requires effort and I'm busy with Strava titles.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marco - You get a call-out in sub-90!

DWave - Soooo close! I've got the RR queued up. Any thoughts on the changes from the firmware update?

Brew - Great mileage, and the workouts have looked good lately, too.

Kcam - I'm thinking alongside DWave for this one.

I feel like I had a solid week, with a couple good workouts. Monday I crushed a 1 mile uphill segment goal I've had for a while (despite starting a hard running part of the workout a minute before the segment begins), then a tougher-than-I-thought-it-would-be treadmill workout Thursday (it did let me perfectly nail the effort for the "on" portions, though).

OKC's version of Cherry Blossom (the Redbud 10k, wich accompanying bike races the day before) was Sunday. There were some pretty quick-for-the-area results (top 3 were a bit under 37 in the 10k, with a couple under under 18 for 5k) despite none of the super-fast people showing up.

DW and I took the kiddos to a park yesterday to meet up with my BIL and his son. Fun times were had by all, and as usual it's quite interesting to see the differences between how moms and dads let their kids play and explore.

Monday, Apr 01, 2019 thru Sunday, Apr 07, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
      Mon 10.6 7:58 Xert-ing myself up that hill, plus 2 owls & a killdeer 144 (73%) strava
      Tue 10.2 8:28 Just the one killdeer 137 (70%) strava
      Tue 3.2 7:58 To the polls and back 141 (72%) strava
      Wed 7.3 8:41 Why does the sheriff keep driving past me just before mile 3? 140 (71%) strava
      Wed 2.5 8:15 Felt a little better for this one. 145 (74%) strava
      Thu 10.1 6:57 3x 12 minutes @ 30 minute max power (321w) 157 (80%) strava
      Thu 2.5 8:14 1 hawk, 1 woman pushing a stroller, and a lot of soccer players 142 (72%) strava
      Fri 10.1 7:59 It’s getting really toasty in the garage - Innsbruck 134 (68%) strava
      Fri 2.6 8:19 Lots of runners and cyclists out today! 143 (73%) strava
      Sat 15.5 8:34 1 owl, 2 deer (2 strides), & 3 herons (still no Camille) 135 (69%) strava
        74.6 8:06

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk Thanks for the tip on the bus. A sunny day in SF???? Unheard of. I'll have to keep an eye out for your team, plus I owe you a beer, and I'll say hi if I see you. The day would be about 13 miles if I run from the hotel and the race which is fine since I'm treating the whole thing as a fun run. I kinda want to experience it (tortillas and all) since I can run it without pain and I like to party.

Randomly in discovering the Stampede 5K I believe I think I might kind of know a lady on their website photo.

Oh yeah, I saw Sage's post on the IGs today...he flat out admits he shouldn't have done a 55k trail ultra 7 weeks ago. He just won't take his own advice and focus on the road. Jack of all trades, but master of none.

dw damn...I mixed up my races. Also, horrible math on my part for time. I wouldn't be surprised if you're shooting for a sub 60 at that race by 2021. Also, I saw "screw shoes" follows you on the running social media website. I smoked.

kcam You're experiencing why I decided NOT to race the local half marathon last weekend. "Time remorse" meaning you didn't hit the time you thought you could so now everything after it will suffer. Shake it off. Next week is a totally different race, totally different course, and totally different weather. Go for that sub 21. Stow Lake isn't SacTown. 

My week started off lame. I didn't really care I was moving to a new age group, and nothing motivated me. Tuesday's repeats seemed good, but Thursday's Tempo run just felt like SHIT! I seriously thought I'd bail a 10 mile tempo at mile 4. Powered through the wind (didn't FULLY check weather) and ran off feel (165 or lower heart rate goal) and surprised myself with the whole workout. I was only a few seconds off a "perfectly paced" run plus I could feel more pains in my stomach when I was pushing the heart rate to 168+. Friday I went to lunch then discussed yard work with the wife (I put off redoing the lawn to train for Chicago 2018) along with realizing our weekends are pretty full until July.

Got my long run in on Saturday and ran along side a RB doing her first marathon (4:15 with no walking) and got my planned 16 while telling the RB with me the schedule, weekly mileage, or long run distance don't mean I'll run a specific paced marathon. Went home, played with the kid for a bit and started doing other things while also thinking "man, a few years ago I would NEVER think of doing ANYTHING after a 16 mile run. Pizza for the "birthday" dinner.

Sunday packed with sprinkler repairs (thought I had a broken pipe due to a $100 water bill in 2018) so I planned a full day of digging. Finished early, put everything away, replaced shocks on the truck, Sushi lunch with the wife while my sister in law watched NeRP, and ended the week with a solid run. I actually planned on 7 but it felt so good I almost went 10. The mid 60s was feeling almost hot enough to need to prevent a sunburn. It's going to be 31 or so tomorrow morning, I think.

oh yeah, max is alive and well if you haven't seen his Strava. Sounds like he is going to Jim Walmsley his Western States run and drop his pacers because he is going to be feeling so good for those 24 hours and get his silver buckle. My words expectations not his.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

Congrats on a well-executed 10-miler, DW! Finishing in :01 or similar is always tough, but you're right there. I saw the splits on your RR and they are 🔥.

Kcam, sorry to hear you're disappointed, but at least that's a nice even split. Good luck on the 5k!

Rovatti and RLK: Hey!

Nice looking weeks from Brew and Keen.

My week: I managed to jog 2 miles yesterday. My butt was still sore and I didn't feel like I should go any faster than 9:00 pace, but it's something. Also, I tested a few short bike rides, and I actually don't have any tailbone soreness on the bike saddle. So I'll probably ease back into training this week with a mix of biking and running.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

jimmax, dad5jcz , definitely a few others have dropped off the face of (this forum). hmm...

JMac- I'm gonna insert myself here, any hotel "downtown" and near a start line bus pickup spot is a good choice. I've stayed at two distinct ones in recent years - last year I had a ~.8mi walk back to the hotel after the finish which was a bit painful in the moment but overall fine. I understand brew's reasons to stay in Folsom but I personally recommend staying in Sac, especially if you're flying in. (I forget where you live but I assuming you're flying in, and if you center yourself in Sac you won't need to rent a car or anything. There's a bus from SMF straight to downtown. Folsom is, well, about 26 miles away!). It's easier for all the Saturday/race weekend stuff, the bus ride on Sunday morning is sorta part of the experience (like in B-town) and if you're there solo you can make friends on it, and then it is ultra convenient once you finish your race and feel trashed to just stagger back to your hotel instead of having to travel a bit. Also most of the hotels in downtown Sac will have some sort of super early breakfast just that day, catered to marathoners, which is a nice-to-have. I'm sure some in Folsom may have that too.

Brew- I got sunburnt from my 1h40min LR yesterday! Rainy season appears to be over and the weather has been mostly quite nice lately. I did get to run with Karl the Fog early this morning, but he seems to have burned off already.

Happy to provide more local tips closer to it if you have questions. Re. transit, if you're going to run with your phone (which I assume you will to document the experience?), download the SFMTA Muni app. Easiest way to pay for transit.

Hahaaa yes, at least they asked me if they could smack my photo across the whole race website :P It's one of my fav spots in the park, so consider it paying homage to the almighty Conservatory of Flowers (one of our morning run meetup spots) !

Speaking of Walmsley, a few of my teammates ran R2R this past weekend (sort of ... they are calling it R2R2R as in "rim to river to rim" but I refuse to call it that! Ha) - Jim and friends' cowboy loop - and both flybyed Jim and co during their run and then got to meet him at the trailhead when they finished. Pretty cool!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew- if you're going to run with your phone

Speaking of Walmsley, a few of my teammates ran R2R this past weekend (sort of ... they are calling it R2R2R as in "rim to river to rim" but I refuse to call it that! Ha) - Jim and friends' cowboy loop - and both flybyed Jim and co during their run and then got to meet him at the trailhead when they finished. Pretty cool!

What kind of millennial runs without their phone? I bet they read printed magazines and books too. FREAKS!

I'd fan girl out if I met Jim. I actually had a chance (unknown to me) on a lunch run earlier this year. He would have been finishing and I'd have TOTALLY asked for a Strava photo. I might have even asked him if he knew who he was.

VDOT 53.37 

jim, max, dad5jcz , definitely a few others have dropped off the face of (this forum). hmm...

It was dad4jcz.  Has anyone heard from him?  (maybe facebook or strava?)

My week:

M: rd

T: 7 with intervals 3x(1200, 400)

W: 8 easy, weights

Th: 8 easy

F: 7 easy, weights

S: 7 easy

S: 7 easy

total = 44

I'm still very slow, and I'm concerned it might be permanent. Time will tell...

kcam

I'm booked at the Holiday Inn downtown for CIM.  I've stayed there three or four times and it's about as good as it gets for location.  Easy walk from finish back to the hotel, shuttle in the morning is right there, lots of nearby dinner options the night before and not too far from the Expo (though not within walking distance).  Fwiw, they've never charged me for a late check-out after the race.  I stagger back the 0.5 miles, take a shower and then leave.  I always ask about a slightly late check-out time when I check in and theyve always been super nice about it.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dw damn...I mixed up my races. Also, horrible math on my part for time. I wouldn't be surprised if you're shooting for a sub 60 at that race by 2021. Also, I saw "screw shoes" follows you on the running social media website. I smoked.

Yeah, at this rate I'll break 60 about the same time I turn 50....

Not sure about the following - perhaps I missed something?

Jmac - I stayed at the Inn off Capitol Park this past December.  Good value and good location.  The rooms are a bit small, and the heating/ac was a bit odd, but those were my only gripes.  I'll likely stay there next time, but upgrade to a suite.

As noted, any hotel in downtown Sacramento will work.  Sacramento has a lot of hotels downtown, and this is not a big race, so hotel rates stay reasonable.  I do recommend staying by the finish line/expo and taking the buses to the start - it's just easiest.  And there's plenty of places to buy food, convenience stores, and places selling cheap clothing downtown.

As for late checkout - I've always just stayed Sunday night and flown back Monday morning.  I guess you could take the red-eye back to the east coast post-marathon, but I'm not personally a fan of that.

Rovatti - other than seeing him yesterday, I haven't interacted with Dad - he's not on FB.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not sure about the following - perhaps I missed something?

The guy who came up with installing metal screws into his shoes, then ran a marathon and from the start was doomed so he started checking out the women on course, follows you on Strava. At least I thought so. Maybe I'm mixing him up with other forum-ites.

EDIT: I FEEL you'll get your 10mph race goal sooner than you think.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The guy who came up with installing metal screws into his shoes, then ran a marathon and from the start was doomed so he started checking out the women on course, follows you on Strava. At least I thought so. Maybe I'm mixing him up with other forum-ites.

EDIT: I FEEL you'll get your 10mph race goal sooner than you think.

Nope - just checked.  Not one of my followers (wow, that reads weird).

Could do 10 MPH for a 5K, hopefully.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

More on this later, but I just watched my official race video from cherry blossom and dwave and I are right beside each other!! I’ll post a low quality screenshot later.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks for the hotel reccs everyone! I’m just focusing on CIM to get over the very sad forecast 7 days from now in that special place ya’ll don’t talk about 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

More on this later, but I just watched my official race video from cherry blossom and dwave and I are right beside each other!! I’ll post a low quality screenshot later.

!!!!  Where on the course?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ummmm please don’t bring another monsoon year toCIM. I never experienced it and I’d like to keep it that way.

EDIT CIM 2012. SSE 20 mph winds with Rain.

Thanks for the hotel reccs everyone! I’m just focusing on CIM to get over the very sad forecast 7 days from now in that special place ya’ll don’t talk about 

Click Me.

EDIT #2: I REALLY don't want to train in 20+ mph winds with "feels like" 41 F temps. Serious lack of motivation right now to pull winter gear out to run when yesterday was 65F during my run. I mean...it only SNOWED (1/8 in total probably but it still counts enough to complain) at lunch.

VDOT 53.37