2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

!!!!  Where on the course?

Never mind - I found it.  Looks like around mile 2 on the course.  Neat!

Everyone else- if you go to here and click on the video, at 9 seconds you see me (short woman, red singlet) with a taller man to my left in a blue singlet and white hat (Ace, that's you, right?)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

Ummmm please don’t bring another monsoon year toCIM. I never experienced it and I’d like to keep it that way.

EDIT CIM 2012. SSE 20 mph winds with Rain.

Click Me.

EDIT #2: I REALLY don't want to train in 20+ mph winds with "feels like" 41 F temps. Serious lack of motivation right now to pull winter gear out to run when yesterday was 65F during my run. I mean...it only SNOWED (1/8 in total probably but it still counts enough to complain) at lunch.

I ran that race and it was a doozy.  I think that may be my best race of any distance ever.  I was in tip-top shape and ran 2:55:49 to get 2nd in my AG (and win outright the USATF-PA 50+ division).  It wasn't my marathon PR but I think if it had been a normal CIM weather year (cold and dry) I would have been pretty close to 2:52 which would have been a PR.  Ahh the memories Smile   Race report:

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/024544872e9d430ba99059a4954b92e2/workouts/670e7aad7efc40ba87e7f0baf43608aa

Running Problem

Problem Child

I ran that race and it was a doozy.  I think that may be my best race of any distance ever.  I was in tip-top shape and ran 2:55:49 to get 2nd in my AG (and win outright the USATF-PA 50+ division).  It wasn't my marathon PR but I think if it had been a normal CIM weather year (cold and dry) I would have been pretty close to 2:52 which would have been a PR.  Ahh the memories Smile   Race report:

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/024544872e9d430ba99059a4954b92e2/workouts/670e7aad7efc40ba87e7f0baf43608aa

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This is the point where you get ejected from the thread, right?  :P

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is the point where you get ejected from the thread, right?  :P

So first jmac is trying to steal our speed, and now YOU are kicking them out?. This place needs the TURD to come back in. Things have gotten out of control. The inmates are running the institution.

fun fact: part of marathon training is adjusting to being awake when the buses will be loading. This week has been as early as 2:45. Last week it was at least 3am so I could sleep in.

im actually trying to figure out when to eat dinner, breakfast and sleep/wake up times. I’m 5-6 miles from the pickup and expect no traffic.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- sorry i suck. remind me which marathon you are doing?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- sorry i suck. remind me which marathon you are doing?

Mt Charleston in Las Vegas. Saturday April 27th or something like that . Buses to the start pick up between 2 and 3am. Race starts at 5am. Saturday race is already weird, but the 5am start is definately getting to me. I can't figure out if I should do a 5pm dinner then try and eat some eggs and a bagel (usual race breakfast) when I wake up/on the bus.

Heck, today it is 35 MPH winds at the start and 25 mph winds along the course and I wouldn't know if I should speed up with the tailwind and try for a sub 3 or hold back and not blow up by going too hard at the start in that kind of weather.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Good on you for training that super-early pre-race stuff.
                  Personally, I'd eat when I woke up.
                  I'd think a tailwind like that would be good for some "free" speed so long as you didn't overdo it - probably not a pace more than 5 minutes faster than goal. Again, just my thought and worth what you paid for it.

HR sensors - I posted a couple weeks ago that I had been having issues with all my HR sensors. My remedy for this? Buy another HR sensor! I went with a Polar OH1+ - an optical monitor that's typically worn on the upper arm. This gets around both the static issues seen by chest straps and the low blood flow in the wrist that causes problems with the watch sensor. I've used it for a solid week or so now, and it's just awesome! It'll connect to anything I want it to (ANT+ and BLE broadcast simultaneously) and it just works - I haven't had a single issue at all. My only complaint, and fairly minor one at that, is that the battery life is a bit over 10 hours which might not get me through a training week.
                  Nifty thing I just thought of: This thing also records HR internally, so I may see if DD1 can wear it during a soccer game. That would be an interesting HR plot to look at.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

kcam

HR sensors - I use the Rhythm+ Scoshe, I like it a whole lot more than the chest straps.  Worn on the firearm it holds in place very well.  Mines held up for 4 years now.

https://www.scosche.com/rhythm-plus-heart-rate-monitor-armband

Jim E

Hi all, Just a quick drop-in. I just wasted an evening (just kidding) skimming the 2019 thread. I have not seen rlk on the race courses lately, which prompted me to visit. I see Kinase (M) all the time though. Nice CIM RR, by the way. What am I up to? Oh this and that. I'm coaching a couple of beginning blind runners which is proving kinda fun. My own running was pretty unfocussed for a while, but is coming back. I'm currently third in my division in the local USATF long race series after two races. Top three get comped races next year. The last race in the series is CIM, so I guess I'll have to race that again. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it. Hey, who knows, I might post some more.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

KCam - The Rhythm+ was certainly on my radar (over the newer Rhythm24, honestly), and I know it essentially been the standard for such monitors for years. This one seems really solid, so hopefully it serves me for the next 4+ years.

Jim - Nice to see you dropping in here. Nice job on the race series placement, especially without being in top shape yet. How many races are in the series? Or at least how many count toward the rankings?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Good on you for training that super-early pre-race stuff.
                          Personally, I'd eat when I woke up.
                          I'd think a tailwind like that would be good for some "free" speed so long as you didn't overdo it - probably not a pace more than 5 minutes faster than goal. Again, just my thought and worth what you paid for it.

HR sensors - I posted a couple weeks ago that I had been having issues with all my HR sensors. My remedy for this? Buy another HR sensor! I went with a Polar OH1+ - an optical monitor that's typically worn on the upper arm. This gets around both the static issues seen by chest straps and the low blood flow in the wrist that causes problems with the watch sensor. I've used it for a solid week or so now, and it's just awesome! It'll connect to anything I want it to (ANT+ and BLE broadcast simultaneously) and it just works - I haven't had a single issue at all. My only complaint, and fairly minor one at that, is that the battery life is a bit over 10 hours which might not get me through a training week.
                          Nifty thing I just thought of: This thing also records HR internally, so I may see if DD1 can wear it during a soccer game. That would be an interesting HR plot to look at.

I think a RB has the same HR monitor. I'm wondering about the 235 HR monitor only because I think it reads low when it's cold outside, and my HR seems suspiciously low for marathon training.

I'm thinking the same about breakfast when I wake up. Also, thanks for the support on how fast to go. I was thinking aiming for a sub 3 would be too much/too aggressive if I had a tail wind and just try and ride it to a 1-2 minute buffer. Still hoping with the new times there won't be a lot of people in the 35-39 age group beating their times by a lot. I kinda want to hang out in April 2020. 6:53-7:03/mi should be a good window. Just about where I've been training. Weird. I guess that settles it.

jim welcome back. Any word on the olympic trials? I think it's cool you're even more involved with blind runners. I signed up after you ran CIM as a guide, got one email from a runner coming to the area then nothing. Randomly I received 3 or 4 of the same email one day of that person's response...from a few years ago.

RB found a review of the race today. Revel sent out some course "guide" from one of their runners/pacers/ambassadors who has BQ'd at their races 19 times. I keep reading how I should train for downhills for this race which I KIND of did...a little. I've kind of cut out TRX for the month but might hop back into it tonight. Since I've never done any strength/cross/fitness training during a marathon I'm not sure when to cut it back. I have also done bath time after Tuesday runs this month (joint bath. kinda works) to help out a little more. Plus I didn't feel too awesome last week after not sleeping. Two more 10 mile tempo runs and I'm done training and enter a 10 day taper. I still don't know what to expect on race day other than running for a PR, a BQ, and cold to warm temperatures with some wind. Good thing I've had all this wind training.

Oh yeah, I picked up some arm warmers from Runners Warehouse after reading about them in the sub-3 (thanks JMac) thread. They just might be the ideal layer for race day. I'll get some practice with them tonight. Since I don't have "skinny runner arms" I get to find out how tight they'll feel around my forearms when/if I roll them down. I'm fully willing to toss them too...and I hate people tossing clothes at races during the course. $6.50, but they're not available in orange.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Oh yeah, I picked up some arm warmers from Runners Warehouse after reading about them in the sub-3 (thanks JMac) thread. They just might be the ideal layer for race day. 

I remember you laughing at me when you first saw me with them. Not so funny now, huh?!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

From the Internet.

ooh I've got a lot of catching up to do!

Grinding away over here. I had my first ever 80 mile week last week. Ran New Bedford half on 3/17, 1:36:20 with a side stitch holding me back for a good chunk of it. Considering running a 10K on 4/28 as a final tune-up ahead of my 5/19 marathon, but I may just go out on pace for 3:20 and see what happens! Workouts have been decent on top of all that mileage - solo 13 with 7 right around 7:32ish a couple weeks ago, recent club workouts of 9x800m averaging 3:16 and 8 mile tempo averaging 7:22. I've run 20 miles or more 3x so far, will get in one more 20+ before I taper.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I remember you laughing at me when you first saw me with them. Not so funny now, huh?!

I wasn’t laughing. I was just wondering why you’d wear a tank top with sleeves. PLUS they make really cute accessories so I can match those little green highlights in my shoes.

VDOT 53.37