2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

In all seriousness, for people with Raynaud's, they're a life saver. My core gets perfectly toasty in racing at 45 degrees, but my arms freeze. By using arm warmers, which are often thicker than LS shirts, I get the best of both worlds. I can keep my forearms warm, my core cool, and I can get rid of the sleeves if I get too hot. Anybody who makes fun of them (see LRC) is an idiot.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I'm pretty sure my watch uses the same sensor your FR235 does, and it does have some problems when it's cold (lack of blood flow near the skin surface) - that's pretty common for all wrist HR these days, though. I'm interested to see what Garmin et. al come out with soon regarding HR sensor updates for watches. I know there are a few watch lines due for a refresh.

Lauren - Congrats on the 80 mile week! Big weeks and several 20+ milers should really help the endurance. And I say go for it on the 10k!

Arm warmers - When I first heard/saw these I thought they were the dumbest things possible, but that changed once I really took notice that it's my arms that get cold sooner than my core. Now it's vests that I think aren't a great idea.

I forgot to mention that my SIL is taking her citizenship test today (she's Canadian). Hopefully this goes well, she's been working toward getting to this point for many years now.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

jim- good to see you here! I had a slow start to the year. SLS 5k this weekend will be my first race since CIM. See you there?

Unfortunately kinase is fairly injured - as you read we ran a lot of CIM together, but this year her achilles issues have been pretty bad. She does short ez runs sometimes but not much more.

lauren- don't think we've met yet? hi! nice 80 mile week. I've never run that much - hit 75 on two occasions and came out the other end injured, so I have respected that and barely hit 70 since Smile

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

In all seriousness ...By using arm warmers, which are often thicker than LS shirts, I get the best of both worlds. I can keep my forearms warm, my core cool, and I can get rid of the sleeves if I get too hot. Anybody who makes fun of them (see LRC) is an idiot.

I agree with this and it's actually what I discovered last night (I'm an idiot, not that arm warmers are thicker than LS shirts). I also realized they're probably a perfect option for my marathon starting (potentially) cold and ending 20+ degrees warmer. They'll probably come in handy for some fall training when I don't want to wear my cold gear top, or a wind breaker, or it is somewhere in between. They ended up being more comfortable than I expected. Plus they are cheap enough I won't mind tossing them if I can't stand how they feel rolled down at my wrist all bunched up. I don't buy coffee anywhere but 3 rockstars are about the same price as 1 pair of arm sleeves and I love me some rockstars. I even told RB about them and said they're cheaper than a week of coffee so he could toss them if he wanted to.

keen what is your problem with vests? Is it acceptable to wear a vest with a long sleeve?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

kcam

Big fan of arm warmers on fall and winter weekend long runs.  I usually start those at 6AM or so and when I start I'm cold but warm up once the sun comes out.  I just take them off and tuck them in my waistband for the remainder of the run.

I also seem to have a mild case of Raynaud's but it's with my hands rather than my arms.  I have to have gloves in weather below about 50 or my hands turn into frozen unusable claws.

darkwave - did you see that Cherry Blossom came out with an admission of a short course?  80m short.  Ouch, I hate when they can't place the cones correctly.

http://www.cherryblossom.org/aboutus/pr2019/release_apr1219.php

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - No real hatred towards vests. But if it's cold enough that I need something to cover my core then I'm also going to need something over my arms. Thus jackets>vests. I am a fan of arm warmers. And those old woolen tube-socks I used as arm warmers for the start of the Route 66 marathon a couple years ago. Those made good throw-away arm warmers.

SIL passed the test without missing a question! Hooray!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave - did you see that Cherry Blossom came out with an admission of a short course?  80m short.  Ouch, I hate when they can't place the cones correctly.

http://www.cherryblossom.org/aboutus/pr2019/release_apr1219.php

Yup - just saw.  I am shocked.  I had a short mile, but it was balanced out by a long mile elsewhere.  {Plus, this is a top notch org, and this is a very junior league mistake.

There goes my PR....  Good thing I've got Broad Street next month.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

You'll run even better in another race.  What distance did your GPS report?

AceHarris

I'm doing a bad job of keeping up with the thread! Sorry guys and gals.

During cherry blossom, I was just barely ahead of the mile markers from mile 4 on and hit the finish line at exactly 10.00 on my watch (which never happens), so I wondered if it was slightly short.

Who is running the Monday race?? I need some tracking info!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You'll run even better in another race.  What distance did your GPS report?

Here's my Garmin report.  I took manual splits, so you can see the short and long mile markers, plus the average pace of both.  I missed the first mile marker, so spit 3 is the infamous mile 4 (short) and split 7 was mile 8, which I thought was long to balance out.

I am meticulous about running tangents unless there's a reason not to.  And I also don't think Garmins are accurate enough to measure tangents.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

I am very similar in that during a race trying to run perfect tangents is something I can focus on other than the hurt.  Under normal conditions (no tall buildings or trees or tunnels bloking the course) I figure that unless my GPS reads race dstance PLUS .05-.1% I BEGIN to suspect short course.  Your 10.04 probably wouldn't have made me suspicious but Ace's 10.0 would have.  On my 10mile race last week my GPS reported 10.07, reasonable.  Ah well, go get em at Broad Street.

I was travelling for work this week (2 + 8 hour flights with a long connection in London twice in a week is a dangerous travel in my last week before taper for the Belfast marathon, especially as I was trying to get my miles in!).

So I did my long run last week on Saturday, traveled on Sunday and managed about 30 miles in north Carolina (which is not bad considering the time difference and how busy I am there...). On Wednesday I was invited by a friend to run a 10K race with him this Saturday, and I accepted. The race was in the country side, not flat and not on tarmac, with strong wind for most of the race. I managed a surprising (since I didn't taper a part from a travel day - not run but travel back from north Carolina - the day before) 41' (my PB is just above 40'). I guess something to do with the time adjustment and the tiredness from the travel, but my Heart beat did not go above 148 with a very low average of 128 for the whole 10K! (consider that in my PB I was above 170 all the time). i will try to find a nice flat 10 K in the summer to test this...

Today I ran my last long before the marathon: 24 Miles with a nice couple of progressions to race pace. One early (easily kept 8' / mile for a couple of miles) and one between mile 21 and mile 23 averaging 7'45 per mile. Total for the week 60 miles, with a 30 days mileage at 280 (never been here before...).

I was very happy about the long run after the race and I feel stronger than usual in this time of the year, but I am still thinking to follow the suggestions I got here and go with the 3h30' pacer at least for the first half - 20 miles and then see how I feel. Next time I can try something more "advanced". I'll see what happens in the next weeks, but I am reluctant to risk the 3h15' pace as Target A.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Jim E

Hi. Me again

Keen - The series: Two ten milers so far, the rest of it consists of two halves (Urban Cow in Sacramento, and Carksburg), and a marathon you might have heard  of called CIM (Double points for that one). I figure if I keep showing up and  don't blow up, my chances of staying in the top three are decent. That's Interesting about the upper arm sensor. I might give that one a try. They only  way I can get HR consistency out of my G235 is to strap it on uncomfortably tightly, and even then I'm not sure.

rlk - Yay, it was great seeing you today, and Kinase too. I didn't spot you during the race though, I imagine you were way ahead of me running 19:something. I wound with 20:48 chip, 20:50 gun, my first sub-21 in quite a while. That was still only good enough to get me 6th AG (welcome to the PA), but I'm pleased.

Brew - I assume you mean the Paralympics. Not much chance of that. Amelia is still coming back after taking a chunk of time off for stress fractures. Selection relies on world rankings, so having American T11 records for 5K and   Marathon counts for zip. The Olympics seems to be heading in that direction too. Sorry to hear you did not manage to hook up with a blind runner. That community is pretty small. When I discovered I had a pair of them living about  a mile and a half away, it seemed like a sign.

Armwarmers. They are kind of expensive for what they are. I have had success with tube socks with the toes cut off, which I am happy to throw away. Of course you can hang on to your armwarmers by simply smushing them down to your wrists and leaving them there.

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

hello kids. what day is today?

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

Running Problem

Problem Child

hello kids. what day is today?

#fakebostonmarathon today if you're folowing social media accounts.

Loading up the people now. I can't seem to find people by hometown anymore.

EDIT: Looks like Jordan Hasay and Dez are running together through the half. 1:13...damn I can only wish.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22