2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

http://bfy.tw/NFvJ

Wink

rlk must be hard getting to CIM when you try to avoid the highways. 

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

I know I haven't been the poster boy for 3:20 as I once was, but I know you folks care... The big news is that I am relocating the whole family (cat included) to Belfast. Wife and I got offered jobs there and I just couldn't pass the chance to be in the epicenter of Brexit. Ha. Fun times ahead.

We should be moving by June 1st. You folks have no idea how bureaucratic it is to ship a cat abroad. I sort of became an expert in the subject.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

I know I haven't been the poster boy for 3:20 as I once was, but I know you folks care... The big news is that I am relocating the whole family (cat included) to Belfast. Wife and I got offered jobs there and I just couldn't pass the chance to be in the epicenter of Brexit. Ha. Fun times ahead.

We should be moving by June 1st. You folks have no idea how bureaucratic it is to ship a cat abroad. I sort of became an expert in the subject.

Eheh...

I live in Belfast if you ever want suggestions for places to go running (definitely see Mary Peters track and Lagan valley river side!!) or anything else you know where to find me ... I know how difficult relocating a cat could be... I’ve been here for more than 10 years now... and when I got here I wanted to bring our cat, but gave up Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Eheh...

I live in Belfast if you ever want suggestions for places to go running (definitely see Mary Peters track and Lagan valley river side!!) or anything else you know where to find me ... I know how difficult relocating a cat could be... I’ve been here for more than 10 years now... and when I got here I wanted to bring our cat, but gave up Smile

Well well well. Small world.

I spent a week in Belfast when they brought me in for interviews and stuff. I went running around the titanic quarter, river towpath, lagan meadows, botanic gardens, and ormeau park. I wanted to go to the track but ran out of energy Sad

I can send you a message once I am properly relocated and stuff. Thanks!

(ps: rlk, max, jimrovatti, dwave, etc., can all certify that I am real and that I even used to be a runner in a not so distant past)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Haha, this is true. We even went for a run together in the 'burgh once! There is photographic proof, somewhere.

Well how exciting, congrats sam! So worldly. Don't be like ocra and give up on the cat, though!!

Running Problem

Problem Child

http://bfy.tw/NFvJ

Wink

touche. Also, I'm kind of in a negative mood in case you're offended by any of this. Also lacking motivation to work. Mostly because people are asking me questions when the REAL question is "will you contact them and ask this list of questions for me even though I have their contact information. Sometimes I miss working nights as a bioprocess technician through a temp agency as a single male.

sam I "adopted" sh*tty k*tty when my SIL became a traveling nurse. Apparently Hawaii keeps animals in lock up for a month. I can't even imagine what Ireland would do when their country is arguing with the European Union. Hope you have an easy move. The ONLY thing I know about Belfast is there is a parade each day that Catholic hate. Like....KKK walking through the streets hate but I'm sure it all depends. I got my wife pregnant to get rid of the cat. Sh*tty K*tty might have liked me more than NeRP.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

wait wait wait. I think we might be working for the same employer (small effing world).

did you move to Belfast to do a PhD and stayed there? Environmental economics? Did you leave your cat in Italy!?!!

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew lol it's ok and i'm certainly not offended. (just don't take your anger out on any pedestrians!)

Small world!?  I am here for this

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

I am here for this

so am I

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - The start is the same for the full and half since the courses are the same for quite a while. There is a 5k that starts later, but it uses a completely different course.
                      And thanks! Consistently getting in those short double runs makes a huge difference - those are nearly 20% of my week. I feel like my fitness has come back quite a bit and I'm getting a bit antsy to run a race just to see where I'm really at.
                      Is NeRP going through a "doesn't want anything to do with daddy" phase? All of my girls have had random times when they didn't want anything to do with me unless they had a nightmare.

Sam - Whoa! Big news. I hope you enjoy Belfast.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

belfast...  1st thing that comes to my mind is Bobby Sands....  but I'm old.  Also, I think Mikkey is originally from there.

Jim E

Wow, Sam is shifting countries (again).

I see there are some new faces here since I was last posting. I'll try not to make too many puzzling references to the Before Times... Maybe I should do one of those bio things. Is there a place for those or do you just slap them into the thread?

rlk - I dunno if I could make any criticisms at all. That is a super race, and congrats on the PR. Hey, there was even ice cream, and I like the clockwise course. That might be because the lake is run in the other direction at mile 16-ish of the SF marathon. Urghh!,

Dwave - Nice BAA 5K report. That race seems... challenging, what with the crowds, crowded start, winds and having to run another 1200m after crossing the marathon finish line. Nice work. The grippy stickers seem like a good idea. I once had serious slippage problems in a wet race, which seemed to be robbing me of speed with a little slip at each toe-off. I was so disgusted that I changed brands for my racing shoes. The NB 1400s I use now have soft, grippy outsoles that are excellent in the wet, but wear dismayingly quickly. That's interesting about your Vaporflys transforming into regular flats. Maybe there should be a second-hand market in squashed 'flys.

Morgan  Hill - That's my 5K PR course.

Ilana - Yay on the win! Great to see you racing.

brew - I think the BAA medals have grown before. My 2010 is one of the smallest medals I have, The 2014 and 2017 ones are quite a bit bigger.

Belfast changed a lot in the last 15 years, just don’t be around in July if you don’t like the march season (I’ll explain...) indeed Sam, I did come for a PhD in environmental economics at queens university and worked there after for a few years, but didn’t agree with the management methods ( now they changed) and I decided to change, I don’t think I was right for the university ... so now I work for a US based research institute under a branch in Manchester, but I stayed in Belfast and travel a lot... ( what can I say... we love the whether here Wink )

the cat  is happy at home with my parents on law,Irving a happy warm and dry life in Italy , so I don’t feel guilty about that Smile

mikkey is from here, and we’ll try to meet as well Smile

Looking forward to meeting you, Sam !

on a more running related topic: I’m in the taper now after the crazy weekend with 10k race on Saturday ( 8th I’m the end with a relaxed 41’, I wonder what I can do in that small rave if I prepare for it Smile) and 24 miles in 3h22 on Sunday

I’ll do my best to taper and prep well and probably follow your suggestions and stay with the 3h30 pacers. However, I cannot avoid thinking to a 3h20 goal and how to assess if I can do it during the race ( I don’t want to waste the occasion, but I don’t want to have a bad end of the race either...)taper madness is here....

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Running Problem

Problem Child

However, I cannot avoid thinking to a 3h20 goal and how to assess if I can do it during the race ( I don’t want to waste the occasion, but I don’t want to have a bad end of the race either...)taper madness is here....

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/976579147

Personal results training for a 3:30 and going 3:23. This was a really good day and the last few miles required a lot of work. I think this was the year I decided to go for sub 3:30 around halfway because I was feeling good and still had something there at mile 20. I broke 3:20 
                              and even 3:15 a year later at the same marathon and it's my current PR. 3:13 or something like that.

EDIT: Suspiciously (scary) low heart rate last night for 6x1 mile repeats. Average pace around 6:50 (aiming for 6:50-6:53) and the "feel" is getting different (easier) so speeding up is going to be something I need to watch. Last time I did this workout I pushed 165+. I was about 10 BPM lower last night. Maybe it was the weather. I had to actually do math (got lucky) for the 1/4 mile recovery jog. The wind is just mental at this point. I almost surge when I FEEL wind. I can only wonder if this workout accurately reflects effort/pace/feel for a downhill race which could be really handy to know.

"What am I capable of" post since I can't find ilana's template. Also, there is really only one goal #CheckersorWreckers

Race Day plan:

Travel Friday and get packet pickup. Maybe talk to the pacer if they're available ONLY because I read a race report where the 3:05 pacer finished closer to 3:04 and had banked some time.

Simple dinner, bagel with nut butter and hard boiled eggs with (maybe) coffee for breakfast.

6:55-7:00 pace from the start. Nothing faster than 6:55 just for fear of blowing up later.

Honey Stinger Gel 45 minutes. This might change a few minutes just because the course has water/nutrition/poweraid every 2 miles. I plan on only taking water with the gels (Organic Strawberry Kiwi) and I'll carry some Ginger in case my stomach turns to sheet.

Mile 21 is where it gets flat so I plan to keep pace and if possible speed up to 6:50. If I have something left I can pick it up for the LAST mile. I'm imagining I'll feel similar to the last miles of CIM where I'm telling myself "15 minutes." There is no "comfortable cushion" at this point and I'll take every second I can get if I'm ahead of my BQ.

THE goal: ANYTHING that gets me into the 4/20/20 marathon. I'll take a sub-3, 3:03:00 or a 3:04:59 as long as it gets me IN to the race.

Backup goal: don't get injured. Hasn't happened yet, but after telling my RB his A goal should just be finishing I should follow my own advice.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dwave - Nice BAA 5K report. That race seems... challenging, what with the crowds, crowded start, winds and having to run another 1200m after crossing the marathon finish line. Nice work.

Thanks!  To be clear, the course itself was a very fast one, and having so many fast people out there helped with fast times (that 18:53 made me the 44th woman to cross the line....)  But the organization needs improvement.  If they are going to have a big deal 5K race with a strong elite field and nearly 10,000 runners, they need to expend the appropriate resources to organize it.

Sam- I'm bummed because I was going to head out to Pittsburgh again for the road mile this summer.  Ah well.  I don't see myself heading to Belfast for a road mile.

BTW, when I hear "Belfast", I think of the song by Orbital.

Brewing - have you actually taken ginger while running before?  if not, I strongly suggest trying that at least once before race day.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.