2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

+1 to what dwave said and i was already thinking, maybe you should try ginger (raw ginger root?? that's... fibrous) on training LRs in the future ahead of the next one but I think it's not the best idea to start with this race.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

ocramireob - got ya. mikkey and I never met, but we did the same race many years ago. Can't remember if it was the liverpool marathon or reading half. I heard they have this amazing running club called the new IRA, very exclusive . I will hit you with a DM when we move. No sooner than June 1st as things stand with visas and all that crap. watch out for the taper crazy, it gonna get you!

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - have you actually taken ginger while running before?  if not, I strongly suggest trying that at least once before race day.

I do have a 10 mile run tomorrow at marathon pace I could test it out on. Other than that...once...in an ultra. I hate the taste. All I have are actually hard candies which carry the risk of choking. I'm leaning towards a gum but I'm mostly hoping I don't need it since I never trained with it and I'm not sure it would really work with too much sugar in the stomach like the (assumed) problem I had with Chicago.

rlk I actually considered raw ginger but couldn't figure out how I'd carry it. It packs such a strong taste I'd only need a small amount and I think my stomach only upset me once during this training cycle, but I'm possibly blocking it out or making it up.

Course SLIGHTLY changed to eliminate a "somewhat awkward turn" at the start. It shortens the course 0.1 mile and they add it later in the course. They just couldn't let me run a 26.1 could they? I'm actually glad they changed it as I was concerned with the start based on the description. Checking the course I was off by a mile. It goes downhill until just after mile 22. Checking the weather tells me I should stop checking the weather.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

My template wouldn't do you any good, Brew, because I'm incapable of predicting your race times!  But best of luck.

Small worlding is so cool!  Best of luck to Sam also on the move and stuff.  We actually gained our current cat four years ago when a neighbor moved to Hawaii and didn't want to subject her cat to the quarantine.  She (the cat, not the neighbor) is not handling our own recent move (new house in same town) very well, though.  Cats do not like change.

rlk, congrats on the 5k PR!

HI JIM!

I have been going to my club's track workouts (just started two weeks ago, so have done the first two, though they did informal intervals/hills all winter).  I forget how much I enjoy these, especially the early season stuff which is on a dirt track.  Somehow without lanes and markers (the coach puts up cones for start/stop lines) it feels more relaxed to me.

Running Problem

Problem Child

My template wouldn't do you any good, Brew, because I'm incapable of predicting your race times!  But best of luck.

If we could have a repeat of CIM 2016 where you predict my time and I beat it by a few (like 7ish+) minutes I'd send you a care package. *predicted time must be a BQ or faster. Package may or may not require refrigeration. Not all participants will win.* 

Last workout was not run correctly. Heart rate was WAY too high (175+) for a majority of it. It is possible due to the 75+F temperatures I was running in, maybe the Honey Stinger gel took too much to digest (they don't taste good hot), I might have drank too much water an hour or so before the run, or possibly running way too hard. Tuesday's workout (6x mile) was the same pace but with recovery and the HR was MUCH lower than I'd ever expect. I don't know what to make of it other than I ended up running 4.5 miles at 5K effort in what could possibly be the last 4-5 miles of my marathon temperatures. I should have backed off the pace, finished the workout at perceived effort (160-165 BPM, HEAT INDEX DIPSHEET!), and looked at how it went overall vs focusing on pace so much when it wasn't comfortable. Great way to enter taper. I also found out NeRP lost a free hat I received in a raffle, work sucked, I won't get the 50ish miles I was planning for the week, and I never got to try my ginger hard candies. Yup...time to relax and try running in the heat of the day as much as I can leading up to race day.

Anyone ever run a marathon where the weather starts at 40F and is pushing 70F at the end? Sounds like the Midwest or East Coast in the summer.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

my last 2 weeks:

M: 1h XT

T: 6 with track intervals 12x400@90

W: 2 easy + weights

Th: urd

F: 8 easy

S: 7 easy + weights

S: rd

total = 23

M: 5 easy + weights

T: 6 with track intervals 4x1200@4:45

W: spin

Th: 6 easy

F: 7 easy + weights

S: 7 easy with 3x1/2mi hill repeats on TM

S: 5 easy + weights

total = 36

My knee is still nagging.  If it ever quiets down, I'll train harder.

Happy Holidays to Y'all!

pepperjack

pie man

I ran an ultra where it was in the 20s at the start and in the 70s at the finish.  4,000 feet of elevation difference will do that for you.

Spent the day at a different ultra yesterday.  Would have done it if it didn’t sell out immediately months before I even moved out here.  But I got to hang at a turn and listen to music and drink beer.  And then hang at the finish and drink beer.  Probably not getting in the one on two weeks.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rovatti - good to see you putting up weeks again.  Feels really good to have you training, Ilana racing, and Jim posting!

Brewing - you're up this weekend, right?

I'll do two weeks as well:

Last week: 44 miles, 8 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming (had Cherry Blossom on the Sunday previous)
                  M: 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                  T: 3 miles very easy (9:11), yoga, then 5 miles very easy (8:50) plus drills.
                  W: 7 miles very easy (8:57) plus drills/strides and DIY yoga.
                  Th: 7 miles, including a very brief "perk me up for this weekend's 5K" of 4x400m at 10K effort with 100m float; 300m float, 2x200m at 5K effort with 200m float (83, 93, 91, 91, 44, 43).  Also DIY yoga.
                  F: Travel to Boston and DIY yoga.
                  Sa: 3.5 mile warm-up, BAA 5K in 18:53 (6:15, 6:05, then 6:35 for last 1.11 (5:55 pace).  3.5 miles cool-down.  Travel home.
                  Su: 12 miles very easy (8:36) plus drills, strides, and then 1000 yards belated recovery swimming.

This week:  60 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                  M: Yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                  T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 400/800/2x1200/800/400 in 87, 2:56, 4:23, 4:21, 2:52, 78.  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                  W: 8 miles very easy (9:17), yoga, and 4 miles very easy (9:02) plus drills/strides.
                  Th: Upper body strength, core, and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                  F: 12 miles, including a 4 mile (6400m) tempo on the track in 25:18 - 1600m splits were 6:29, 6:20, 6:20, 6:09 .  Followed with hill sprints,  leg strengthwork, and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                  Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:59) plus drills, hill sprints, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.
                  Su: 14 miles progressive, split as first 4 miles averaging 8:49, next 4 averaging 7:38, last 6 averaging 6:37 (a bit of a tailwind assist on the last 6).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

Good work everyone.  Hope y'all had a nice Easter Sunday.

I got in a very respectable 62 miles this week (most since March of 2018).  Key workouts were the club's Step Up / Step Down track relay yesterday which consists of two runner teams with each runner alternating intervals of different lengths:

Runner 1 - 400, Runner 2 - 800, Runner 1 - 1200, Runner 2 - 1600, Runner 1 - 1600, Runner 2 - 1200, Runner 1 - 800, Runner 2 - 400

Good fun but it really indicated I'm in dire need of more endurance ..

400 - 1:16

800 - 3:03

1200 - 5:05

1600 6:44

I really slowed way too much as the distance went up.

This morning was a very hilly 16miler on the race course I'm running next Sunday.  All good on the niggle and injury front (fingers crossed)!

Brew, your race is next week, right?  Stay sane!

AceHarris

Kcam: that workout sounds “fun”. What race are you running?

rovatti: hoping the knee issue fades for you.

brew: best of luck this week in taper madness

33.4 miles this week. Just 3 running days, 1 trail, 2 easy days in Charleston. Weather and travel took away one training day. My youngest had an accident right after we got to Charleston and we ended up in the ER Friday night with some sutures and a broken finger. We made it 5 years with kids with no ER visits, which was pretty good. Hopefully we have another long streak without a visit.

Currently torn between running a 50k in September or a 1/2 Ironman with a friend. I’ll just keep running until something makes me decide.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good fun but it really indicated I'm in dire need of more endurance ..

400 - 1:16

800 - 3:03

1200 - 5:05

1600 6:44

I really slowed way too much as the distance went up.

Brew, your race is next week, right?  Stay sane!

So...I agree with you on the need for endurance, but I also wonder if it's not as bad as this indicates.  If you ran each interval very hard, then that would compromise your performance for the next, wouldn't it?  So some of the slow down could be lack of endurance/strength, and some could be compounding fatigue.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rovatti - It's nice that you're putting up weeks like this. Hopefully your knee does calm down soon.

DWave - Nice week. Remind me: do you have anything big on the horizon?

Ace - Bummer about the kiddo having an accident. Everything ok there now?
                          How are your swim and bike skills?

Brew - You doing good during the taper?

Last week was pretty light from me at just shy of 50mi. I did get in a couple good workouts, but also missed an easy day and my LR (sick kiddo one day, travel for the LR). Looking forward to a workout tomorrow, though heavy thunderstorms are predicted from this evening all through tomorrow morning, so I'll likely be relegated to the treadmill for it again. At least there's the upside of being able to really dial in the effort level.
                          Sunday (OKC Memorial Marathon) looks to be warm and windy - no surprise there!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I ran an ultra where it was in the 20s at the start and in the 70s at the finish.  4,000 feet of elevation difference will do that for you.

darkwave yeah. I need to quit checking the forecast. Looks like a tail to cross wind with 40s at the start then from 22 on it's a headwind and mid 70s. Thanks for all the encouragement to go run in the wind. Water and honey stingers during the race. The stomach should (ideally) hold out. I'd do Chipotle pre-race however I've never done that so I'll try it for CIM training. 5:30AM PST start time. Unsure of online tracking.

keen I bought a 1989 Jeep Cherokee for $2,500. I think I'm either ready for the race, ready for marathon training to be over, or not running enough to keep myself off the computer. Oh and I'm checking the weather about as often as I say weather and the weather keeps changing. I know how people running Boston this year felt. I think Jim Walmsley once said every time he checked the weather for Western States it got hotter and hotter. I know his pain. Checkers or wreckers.

ace half ironman. Hope the kid took the broken finger well. I also hope you told them it would be cutoff and the name could become "Nancy/Nathan 9 Fingers" officially.

My week:

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Apr 15, 2019 thru Sunday, Apr 21, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description Link
                            Mon 6.6 8:38 That time a rubber band would have been nice. strava
                            Tue 10.2 7:46 That time my shorts smelled like nut butter. strava
                            Wed 4.5 8:18 That time it’s biscuits and dovetails strava
                            Thu 9.4 7:58 That time I’m tryin’ to love my life in a country song. strava
                            Fri 6.3 8:38 That time everyone is achieving their goals. strava
                            Sat 3.0 8:41 That time I just wanted a sippie cup strava
                              40.0 8:13    

Tuesday went well. Thursday didn't. Thursday was about 80F and Tuesday the heart rate was pretty low (6x1 mile). Totally missed the goal of mid 50s but it's taper, Easter, and I bought a Jeep.

I won (like....overall not age group) a trail 5K Saturday. I considered doing the 10K, opted for the 5K due to time, then went for the course record set by a 14 year old last year (8 seconds behind). I think if I'd turned around AT the turnaround instead of caring more about the 3 miles I could have had it. It's lonely at the front but giving out high 5s as the leader of a race was pretty cool. I've never done that during a road 5K. It's lonely finishing first (literally 10 minutes ahead of anyone) but the thought process during the whole thing was interesting. I wanted to win, but not hurt myself, and not go too hard 2 days after a big workout, but still win, then get something to eat before heading home. I won a license plate since we run though "dead truck canyon" and I feel like a big fish in a little pond because any of the fast guys could have smoked me but it's nice to be a "fast guy" for a day. I'm glad I gave people the "okay" signal and thanked them for moving while giving out high fives and "you too" on the way down. I feel like it is something missing from road runs.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'd do Chipotle pre-race however I've never done that so I'll try it for CIM training. 

Good idea - a friend gave me a pseudo heart attack last year when he announced that he had decided to try Chipotle, WITH THE BEANS, for the first time before his marathon, since it worked so well for me.

[I do not eat beans before a marathon.]

Fortunately, it worked out well and he PR'd.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good idea - a friend gave me a pseudo heart attack last year when he announced that he had decided to try Chipotle, WITH THE BEANS, for the first time before his marathon, since it worked so well for me.

[I do not eat beans before a marathon.]

Fortunately, it worked out well and he PR'd.

speaking of Chipotle and racing... Did you ever figure out what was going on when you had those stomach issues? I didn't see a "stomach scrub" post so either I missed it or you went with 'one time thing/accident' and decided against it.

VDOT 53.37