2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

speaking of Chipotle and racing... Did you ever figure out what was going on when you had those stomach issues? I didn't see a "stomach scrub" post so either I missed it or you went with 'one time thing/accident' and decided against it.

1) Went to GI doctor, had bloodwork done and got poked at on a table - all looked fine.

2) problem has not re-occurred since.

3) I have to get a colonoscopy in early May Sad.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

kcam - you said "very hilly 16miler on the race course I'm running next Sunday". first of all - great run! second - does tihs mean the los gatos 4miler is "very hilly"?! Would you recommend any "correction factor" for my own estimates of pace i might try to hit?

something about the phrase "I don't eat beans before a marathon" makes me laugh, dwave. But that is solid advice.

brew- don't check the weather until you're packing! it'll be great. nothing to worry about. Smile

did a 5 mile tempo on saturday (6:58 pace) hungover from seder, then yoga with BF that afternoon (stretching more than I have in... a long time), then a 13mi hilly long run on sunday (which shouldn't have felt bad but it did), and then 10x400 @ a bit faster than 5k pace this morning which didn't feel snappy at all. bit tired! was trying to convince myself that forcing 90sec 400s at the track on tired legs is a good thing.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

kcam - you said "very hilly 16miler on the race course I'm running next Sunday". first of all - great run! second - does tihs mean the los gatos 4miler is "very hilly"?! Would you recommend any "correction factor" for my own estimates of pace i might try to hit?

something about the phrase "I don't eat beans before a marathon" makes me laugh, dwave. But that is solid advice.

brew- don't check the weather until you're packing! it'll be great. nothing to worry about. Smile

did a 5 mile tempo on saturday (6:58 pace) hungover from seder, then yoga with BF that afternoon (stretching more than I have in... a long time), then a 13mi hilly long run on sunday (which shouldn't have felt bad but it did), and then 10x400 @ a bit faster than 5k pace this morning which didn't feel snappy at all. bit tired! was trying to convince myself that forcing 90sec 400s at the track on tired legs is a good thing.

Packing? It's like a weekend in Vegas. Just buy what I need there right? Left over 2016 shirt for race day, maybe a visor, etc. At this point it's going to be HOT AS FAWK so I'm glad dad has a pool. I'm also glad NeRP is staying home. Solo weekend trip to Vegas and while I feel slightly bad about only seeing my dad for a few hours and 1--% using him for a free hotel he doesn't exactly spend every waking moment with me when he visits. I would just like a 15-20 mph TAIL WIND for...like....the whole race maybe...idk.

Hangover, running, yoga, hilly long run and some 5K pace. Damn I don't miss those days. 105 days without alcohol kinda makes life boring...yet also interesting.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/sports/kenyan-runners.html

Sometimes it seems like it would be nice to be a Kenyan runner... but in reality, no.

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/11/your-money/lottery-winners-financial-advice.html

Sometimes it seems like it would be nice to be a LOTTERY WINNER... but in reality, no.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

Yes, I think it's super hilly (for a 4 mile road race)!  It's point-to-point 4 miles with the downhill direction being the race course.  I ran it 4 times (twice 'up' and twice 'down') Sunday morning.  I just wanted to familiarize myself again with how the hills come at you.  The last time I ran it was in 2013.  I ran it in 23:59 (chip time) with miles of 6:00, 6:06, 6:02 and 5:50 so the last mile's super, super fast IF you don't kill yourself on the first three miles.  I also ran it two other times and both showed mile 2 a little slower than mile 1.  Whatever you do don't go out too fast on this one.

You start with a nice .15 mile slight downhill then you make a RH turn onto Highway 9 ("chrome wheel, fuel injected and stepping out over the line.  Cuz, baby, tramps like us, baby we were born to run" <-- sorry, couldn't resist!) and you immediately get hit in the face with a relentless 1.5mile climb.  Not steep but, dam, it's difficult when you're racing.  Then you get a nice little downhill for .6 miles, you'll be tempted to hammer this but you shouldn't because at the bottom of the .6 you have to go up yet another steep hill.  There's a couple more climbs until you get to mile 3 when the course turns downhill.  It's the perfect downhill, not too steep but enough to make you fly.  This is a .7 mile dh and then you make a RH turn onto Santa Cruz blvd with .3 to the finish.  You can see the line .3 miles away but it's a climb to get to it.  Not steep or anything but you're about tapped out and it gets a itty bit steeper the closer you get to the line.  This last .3 is where you can pass a lot of people that are out of gas.

Here's my course map elevation from Sunday's run:

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/024544872e9d430ba99059a4954b92e2/workouts/b131e96251a64e6e9f09311d3c71722f#map

Good luck out there on Sunday rlk and Brew!

Oh, PSA everyone... that 1:16 400 I ran on Saturday? WRONG.  I was relying on the hand-timed results my team sent out.  When I looked at my own watch results they all matched except the 400.  I didn't run 1:16, I ran 1:32!!! That's more in line with the rest of it.  What bothers me is that I actually thought 'wow, I ran a 1:16 400!'.  I should have known better than that, but I can dream can't I?!

berylrunner

Rick

I predict a BQ -4 minutes for Brew.  Hopefully only a week of post race quad soreness.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

First week of taper in the books with just about 50 miles run and some walking...+ painting the kids’ rooms , not ideal but good strength exercise for armsSmile

I’m feeling good and ready to attempt 3h30, knowing that , in a good day, I could even try a bit more...

have a good week

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Running Problem

Problem Child

I predict a BQ -4 minutes for Brew.  Hopefully only a week of post race quad soreness.

I don't care what ANYONE says about you...you're alright in my book.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

What bothers me is that I actually thought 'wow, I ran a 1:16 400!'.  I should have known better than that, but I can dream can't I?!

Why would you be bothered by thinking you could run that fast? I literally SAID I would never run a marathon. I literally SAID JOKINGLY "I can stop running when I qualify for the Boston Marathon" and it has become a goal after CIM 2016. Dreams are what make goals and goals make us try harder, run when it's uncomfortable, and "give up" things like alcohol or late nights other people can't imagine doing other than after the holidays or a massive indulgence. So keep that dream alive. Yeah 16 seconds is probably a lot of time to take off a 400m run, but taking 51 minutes off a marathon team is also a lot and I'm trying to do it Saturday.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- what is the BQ time for you?

kcam

My point was that a 76 400 for me right now is so far out of line I should have immediately known it was wrong!  Instead I posted about how slow my longer intervals we're compared to my "76 sec" 400.  In reality they all lined up about where they should have.

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- what is the BQ time for you?

3:05:00.

https://www.runrevel.com/rmc/track?a=1574712

Apparently they offer tracking. I am back on the page of faces for those who are "friends" of mine.  Permission to share stuff granted. I'll throw a bib number up here Friday afternoon. I'll probably go out at 3:04:00 (7:00/mi) pace and see what the 3:05 pacer plans on doing just because 1 race report I read said the pacer did sub 3:04 that year. I'm not concerned TOO MUCH about his race outside of knowing he's 2 minutes ahead or running even splits. Plan is shirt and shorts from the start with gloves (throw aways...still bothers me), Nike Zoom Flys (140 miles on them), and two or three gels (Honey Stinger Strawberry Kiwi). I'm back/forth on my (orange) Injinji wool socks. It could avoid blisters but could be warm. I'm leaning towards taking them for avoiding blisters. Either a visor or Hoo Rag to maintain this uncut hair I have.  Oh and to keep checking the weather to make sure it's 40-80F with a S to WSW wind at 10-20 mph...because that helps somehow.

A goal: 4/20/20 entry.

B goal: 4/20/20 entry.

C goal: 4/20/20 entry.

I don't want a BQ time. I want in to that MARTHA FAWKING PARADE! Checkers or wreckers and we might need to CHECK some things so we avoid WRECKING things.

Revel has said what 3 flavors of Honey Stingers (Gold, Fruit Smoothie, and Strawberry Kiwi-caffeine) they'll have. They also changed from Powerade Lemon Lime to Fruit Punch (email sent 4/19/19).  I hope I don't have to run around a half marathoner to get water and cause an accident/collision/fumble. It would probably suck for both runners.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

I'll be rooting for you, Brew. If you run 3:04 without having broken 20 in a 5k yet, you officially have the weirdest PRs in this group. I think you can do it!

Important update about my butt: It has healed, at least for running purposes.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I'll be rooting for you, Brew. If you run 3:04 without having broken 20 in a 5k yet, you officially have the weirdest PRs in this group. I think you can do it!

Important update about my butt: It has healed, at least for running purposes.

everything about this post is strange and funny but meaningful! well said, clever.

woop woop, brew!!

_________________________________________________