2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Jim E

I notice that the tracker has a column for sex and age. Brew was M35-39 at the start, and he still is after 6.55 miles.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Same pace through 19.65 (6:57) so now the fun starts.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Jim E

Yeah, latest pace 7:14, so slowing a little, but still 7:00 overall. The last section has less slope than the rest of it.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So....hopefully holding a steady effort, and clearly maintaining a steady age and gender.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Jim E

Well crap. 3:05:22. So close. He did pick up a few more places in that last bit though. He was gaining places throughout, suggesting that his pacing was better than the majority of those around him.

Running Problem

Problem Child

The uphill around 23-25 hurt. I did the math and needed something like a 24:00 5K. The entire cushion I had on a 3:05 was gone and I needed a very fast finished mile. I wouldn’t let myself quit, stumbled at the first timing mat then people yelled at me to go to the finish line, crossed the finish line and went straight to medical. Blurry vision and I couldn’t really hold myself upright. I don’t really remember the walk. I was sitting, they moved me to a cot, I drank some water and vomited it up. Went to a second medically area with a reclining chair and about 90 minutes after I finished I felt normal. Stomach issues during the race came and went, taut I think it was just the overall temperature hitting 75 and the hill being longer and feeling steeper than I expected.  Think I PR’d the 13.1 and 26.2 today. So I can make sc happy.

Checkers or wreckers. Fuck it. Going for it at CIM. 2021 course is the same as 2020.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The uphill around 23-25 hurt. I did the math and needed something like a 24:00 5K. The entire cushion I had on a 3:05 was gone and I needed a very fast finished mile. I wouldn’t let myself quit, stumbled at the first timing mat then people yelled at me to go to the finish line, crossed the finish line and went straight to medical. Blurry vision and I couldn’t really hold myself upright. I don’t really remember the walk. I was sitting, they moved me to a cot, I drank some water and vomited it up. Went to a second medically area with a reclining chair and about 90 minutes after I finished I felt normal. Stomach issues during the race came and went, taut I think it was just the overall temperature hitting 75 and the hill being longer and feeling steeper than I expected.  Think I PR’d the 13.1 and 26.2 today. So I can make sc happy.

Checkers or wreckers. Fuck it. Going for it at CIM. 2021 course is the same as 2020.

A) don't make any decisions for 10 days post marathon.

B) there's got to be another one of these Revel races to do before September.

Katia77

There is! Big cottonwood is September 😊 I’m doing the half, I think.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

A) don't make any decisions for 10 days post marathon.

A) already signed up for CIM. I want to run it again probably because I’ve done well. I also get to meet some online friends there sometimes.

B) wife kinda told me she wanted a summer, and a backyard this year. I put off doing it last year for Chicago for my BQ attempt and she told me if I was going for 2020 I had to pick something early, or not attempt it and run CIM. The goal is to run it. There isn’t a deadline (Run before I’m xx years old, before I have a kid, before they cancel the race, etc).

I think the training has built on itself. Someone mentioned calf pains from running lots of downhill and while mine were sore after, I didn’t feel it running or I changed stride to prevent it from happing. I don’t know. Maybe TRX after hard runs helped strengthen the calves. I need to figure out the stomach issues because I had a ginger candy at mile 12 and it helped, but they came back and my heart rate kept going up with nothing bringing it down (dunking water, cold towels, breathing, sipping honey stingers). The last 5 miles (check Garmin and post if you want) mirrored the last training run when it was about 80 degrees. I even tried running by feel to get it to come down but nothing made it feel any better.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew - First, congrats. Second, I hope we get to meet at CIM. Third, stomach issue are always what get me in races. Have you ever tried Nauzene? I can’t go a race without them now. I used to come close to vomiting at the end of every single race, but once I discovered these, I haven’t had an issue. I still have stomach problems, but it’s helped probably 80% with the nausea.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

That’s an excellent time, Brew.

Congrats!!!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - First, congrats. Second, I hope we get to meet at CIM. Third, stomach issue are always what get me in races. Have you ever tried Nauzene? I can’t go a race without them now. I used to come close to vomiting at the end of every single race, but once I discovered these, I haven’t had an issue. I still have stomach problems, but it’s helped probably 80% with the nausea.

First, I was thinking about you during the race and how your last 8 miles at Boston sucked. Second OH HELL YEAH you’ll just have to wait. Maybe the finisher area or some kid friendly food place after. Third, never heard of it. Ginger helped for a bit today so I’ll give it a shot. It hasn’t happened in training so I really don’t know what caused it (heat, honey gels, no electrolyte drink, the pace) but once I vomited I started to get better. I’ll look into it for future races. I’m also going to lose two toenails, I popped a FAT blister under my big toe, and none of this happened in the 200ish miles I trained at race pace in these so somehow my foot was moving in my shoe.

rov thanks man. I’m proud of the time. Thankfully I didn’t get calf problems from the major downhill race. At least now my HM and Marathon PR kind of match each other.

just got back from dinner. Anyone have tracking on darkwave for tomorrow? I’ll be flying around 10:00am EST SO I don’t know if I can track her or if she will be done. Unless she isn’t racing, but I thought she was.

VDOT 53.37 

congrats Brew!

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

OMR

Brew:  Congrats...you picked off a ton of runners in the second half, and your time with a temp getting up to 75 degrees is impressive.  Bummer about the stomach issues.  You'll get it next time.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

just got back from dinner. Anyone have tracking on darkwave for tomorrow? I’ll be flying around 10:00am EST SO I don’t know if I can track her or if she will be done. Unless she isn’t racing, but I thought she was.

There wasn't any tracking, since it was a 5K.

Ran 18:53.  Yes, the exact same time as I ran at BAA 5K.  Which means I missed my PR by 2 seconds for the second time in a row...

Other than that, I was pretty happy with it. I took the female win, which means I'll get a check for $125 at some point, so yay.

Race report here.