2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm trying to remember the last time you had a point-blank *bad* race ... and I can't. (You probably can though, ha.)

Easy.  Shamrock 2019.  Y'know, the one where I defiled a military base.

Speaking of that, I now have that most internal of exams scheduled for tomorrow, which means a clear liquid diet today.  Nothing but clear liquids, lemon-lime jello, lemon italian ice, and select sports nurititon gels and chews that don't have red/blue/purple food coloring.

Dumb me: a) didn't start making my lemon lime jello until this morning (not realizing it takes 4 hours to set); b) didn't read the instructions right and used too much water, thus no jello for me.

So...I went shopping.  And...unbelievably, I could not find pre-made lemon lime (non-sugar-free) jello in any of the three grocery stores I checked.  There's red and purple pre-made jello all over the place, and plenty of sugar-free lemon-lime (which I can't have for migraine reasons).  Blood-sugar addled, hangry me wants to have a good cry right now.

Anyhoo….

Classical music - I was raised with classical music forced on me as a young kid (my parents played it in my bedroom every night when I slept to promote intellectual development or something like that.  Either despite or because of this, all classical music is like nails on chalkboard to me.  Rovatti - I hope you enjoy - I'll take the colonoscopy instead.

RLK - I do that extensive warm-up because I never feel good on the first interval, or even the second interval, of a workout.  So, pre-race, I try to get those intervals out of the way before hand.  Good job on the race - I find corners really slow one down in a mile.

Marco - I'm so glad the race went well, though the course management issues are unfortunate.  You ran a really well-executed race - well done!

Brewing - that report is INSANE.  I can't believe all the aid station issues - absolutely unaccepatble in any race, let alone one catering to those chasing BQs.

Hi to all others.

I'll dump last week off, since I don't think I did that before:

38  miles, 14 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
    M: Yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
    T: 10 miles, including 2x(1600, 800) in 6:00, 2:53, 5:55, 2:53 (half distance recovery in 4:25-4:40 after 1600s, and 2:07 after 800)).  Also leg strengthwork and 750 yards recovery swimming.
    W: 7 miles very easy (8:52) plus drills/strides and DIY yoga.
    Th: Light upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" of pool-running.
    F: 7 miles, including an uptempo 1600 in 6:09. Also DIY yoga.
    Sa:  Travel and DIY yoga.
    Su: 3 mile warmup, 10 mile race in 62:28, 1 mile cool-down.  Travel, and then 250 yards recovery swimming

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

We all gather there, first watch a mobility-compromised ~80y/o guy finish his race from the previous heat like 15 minutes ago (!),

Hey! That mobility-compromised 80 year old is my club's President!  That was his first GP race in probably 15 years (we now have 3 80+ guys in the club so he went out to complete the 80+ team - they won their division!).  He's not much of a runner anymore but he still gets out there and does his thing.   BTW, he was a dam fast runner in his day.  Just felt the need to defend us old guys - we like racing too!

Congrats on your 5:38, sounds like it was a slow course.  You will run much faster on OMB.  Hopefully I will make that race as my hamstring is back to feeling 100%.  I always found the OMB to be 5 seconds faster than, say, a track mile.  Other people say more like 10 seconds but that's never been my experience.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - that report is INSANE.  I can't believe all the aid station issues - absolutely unaccepatble in any race, let alone one catering to those chasing BQs.

Your Jell-O making experience kinda feels like my marathon prep. Hopefully you get some good sleep tonight with the entire lack of sugar. Yeah I'm not doing Revel again. I know what it's like to work an aid station. I was shocked to see 7:00 marathoners stopping LITERALLY to grab something to drink. When it's a four person crew and early in the race I get it. Anything beyond 13.1 should be STACKED with people who know what they're doing. Not just the (not what it was) local boy/girl scout club doing charity work to earn a badge. I don't care how old you are. Hold out drinks or snacks, have adults restock you, but for FAWK sake PUT THE GELS SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN ON THE FAWKING TABLE!!! I suggested a mandatory aid station training in their survey for "aid station captians" so they can plan on having 20 runners coming in to an aid station. I can't imagine what it was like for the 4:00 group at some points. Heck, I think only two or three aid stations had shade for themselves. Imagine standing in 60F + weather for 4+ hours handing out water that's getting warmer and warmer. I can only ASSUME they started getting thirsty. RB said he walked to the tables at some point and wasn't really happy with their aid as well. I can't help but think of how it makes for a more memorable marathon. "That time I thought this race was supported." I cannot comment on how other Revel races are, but this race (including the price since it's one of the most expensive they run) doesn't make me want to return.

rlk not sure how I missed your post. 5:38 shape eh? Looks like I need to drop some speed work into my workouts again if I have a chance at a rematch of owing you a beer at CIM. Good job handling the corners. I do the dw approach of "high/low" where you start outside and swing inside. Locally they had an out and back mile and when I ran with the elites (missed my race due to the time posted not being the time they ran my age group) but I actually enjoyed it a little more because I was in the back and could run my race. I guess a sub 6:00 mile is pretty elite for non-professionals.

Did you get into a team for B2B? I'm probably going to run to the start and cruise it casually around 8:30 pace. I probably need a costume.

Running my usual 8:30 seems difficult still. Unsure if I should just cool it on the running or stick with the short slow easy miles. I kind of planned a TRX workout tonight but I might put that off another week and eat some ice cream or drink some beer. MMMMMM BEEER. Oh and I'm somehow still ahead of 2018 miles this year by a comfortable amount.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Only saying that in total awe!!! Seriously, that kind of thing makes me tear up/get really sappy. So there we were, 20 of us young and sprightly and about to compete against each other, but getting pretty emotional together watching him come through the line. So impressive and inspiring - huge kudos to him and the entire 80+ squad (wow!). I can only hope to be moving forward at that age.

There is an 80+ guy on Tamalpa who does most of the GP races, recently with a walker. Cue the waterworks.

Because of "ageing up", this year we were finally able to put together our first 70+ team ever. One of the 70+ers was one (of our two) original founders!

Thank you, I need that ego boost, lol. Hope to see you out there! That's your team's race, right?

Hey! That mobility-compromised 80 year old is my club's President!  That was his first GP race in probably 15 years (we now have 3 80+ guys in the club so he went out to complete the 80+ team - they won their division!).  He's not much of a runner anymore but he still gets out there and does his thing.   BTW, he was a dam fast runner in his day.  Just felt the need to defend us old guys - we like racing too!

Congrats on your 5:38, sounds like it was a slow course.  You will run much faster on OMB.  Hopefully I will make that race as my hamstring is back to feeling 100%.  I always found the OMB to be 5 seconds faster than, say, a track mile.  Other people say more like 10 seconds but that's never been my experience.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Yeah I was thinking that- that's how cyclists do corners in crits, too, but more to stay upright. In the moment I wasn't thinking too much about the mechanics.

Ya I'm on the 2nd of our 3 centipedes. We have a speedy one, a less speedy one, and a masters' one. 15 people each - 13 tied together, 1 blocker (run in front and make sure we don't swallow anyone up), 1 floater (ready to sub in if somebody attached needs to detach for whatever reason).

rlk not sure how I missed your post. 5:38 shape eh? Looks like I need to drop some speed work into my workouts again if I have a chance at a rematch of owing you a beer at CIM. Good job handling the corners. I do the dw approach of "high/low" where you start outside and swing inside. Locally they had an out and back mile and when I ran with the elites (missed my race due to the time posted not being the time they ran my age group) but I actually enjoyed it a little more because I was in the back and could run my race. I guess a sub 6:00 mile is pretty elite for non-professionals.

Did you get into a team for B2B? I'm probably going to run to the start and cruise it casually around 8:30 pace. I probably need a costume.

Classical music - I was raised with classical music forced on me as a young kid (my parents played it in my bedroom every night when I slept to promote intellectual development...

Imagine how addled your brain would be today if you had listened to darkwave as a child!

Good luck with the colonoscopy.  I did it last year and the prep was brutal (clear liquids for 24h, 4 dulcolax, and a gallon of golytely)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Imagine how addled your brain would be today if you had listened to darkwave as a child!

Good luck with the colonoscopy.  I did it last year and the prep was brutal (clear liquids for 24h, 4 dulcolax, and a gallon of golytely)

Thanks - this was my second full (I've done a few flex-sigs also).  This time the prep wasn't TOO bad.  The worst part was the nothing but sugary clear stuff for 24 hours.   I did Suprep for the cleaner - one 16 oz dose at 6:30 pm the day before, and a second dose at 3:30 am, each chased with 32 oz water.  The Suprep tasted like cough syrup - not great, but not awful.

The procedure itself was just a nice nap.  And they gave me an IV and so now my legs feel much better post-Broad Street.

Good news was that no polyps.  They did find "non-bleeding mucosal ulceration" which I'm guessing was connected to my Shamrock issues.  They took some biopsies, so I'll know more in about 2 weeks.

In the meantime, I'm spending the rest of my recovery day watching "Chernobyl" since I've heard it's the feelgood miniseries of the year.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

who;'s got a running music situation they like?

i have been buying refurb 8gb ipod nanos off ebay for the past while (they last like 2 years before my sweat kills them). but i do have to either hold it in my hand (it's small/light) or wear shorts with a good pocket for this.

plus now i don't mind only shuffling music.

but it appears that the ipod shuffle only goes up to 4gb which isn't quite enough.

BASICALLY looking for something tiny or light that i can clip onto my shirt, ideally 8gb, ideally can be found for like $40 on ebay, etc.

(hate hate hate running holding a giant smartphone)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VXMXWKE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Been running with it for almost 10 years now. It also has an extra SD slot if you want to go even higher. Plus, my favorite feature is the clip is already built into the side of it. Perfect for running.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK - No real experience with running with music myself, but I know people who use a slightly different model of the player JMac listed, and they seem happy. I think the biggest difference is support for wireless headphones.

Brew - I liked the write-up. And I agree w/ DWave about the aid station issues.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

BASICALLY looking for something tiny or light that i can clip onto my shirt, ideally 8gb, ideally can be found for like $40 on ebay, etc.

(hate hate hate running holding a giant smartphone)

I don't run with music anymore. It's much easier.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/d/vacaville-classic-ipod-shuffle/6871903990.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/d/san-francisco-ipod-nano-3rd-gen-4gb/6882411463.html
                        ain't no skewl like OLD SCHOOL!

I'll look for ya. If some random guy knows your name and says he is a less than imaginary friend now it's me.

dwave glad it's all good. hopefuly even better news in two weeks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- not really looking for specific items to buy, but more a recommendation for something that fits the "small, clippable, 8gb+, cheap" bill

jmac- thanks for the rec! will look into that!

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you want something cheap I’d just check Craigslist for an old iPod or iPhone if you’re currently using Apple products. People hold on to them for some reason then unload them cheap. I’d say run without one though.

brew- not really looking for specific items to buy, but more a recommendation for something that fits the "small, clippable, 8gb+, cheap" bill

jmac- thanks for the rec! will look into that!

VDOT 53.37 

My week:

M: 9 easy

T: weights

W: 8 easy with strides & bounding

Th: 8 easy

F: 7 easy + weights

S: spin 75min

S: 7 with "tempo" (3@7min)

total = 39

Slow progress, I guess? ...

Hey to everybody!

AceHarris

My Week:

M: 9 mile progression starting at 8:00 and finishing at 6:25 pace.

Th: 7 on trails with 1100' gain

S: 6 easy then some strides

S: 13 mile "fun run". Just ran whatever pace I felt like. Ended up looking like a few easy miles, some steady state, then a pickup mile. Overall pace avg was 7:30

Total was 35.5 miles.

I'm starting to feel a little stronger on the trails, but have really slacked on my x-training. Needs to pick the weights back up and get back to doing abs more regularly.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)