2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Hey, that's a big PR!  Yay for that, too bad about the suckfest.  I look forward to hearing the details!

Jim E

Lauren - Sorry to hear about the suckage, but hey, PR and first week reg for that patriots day run is some compensation.

rovatti - Interesting week. It takes some determination to shift to substantial cross training when you have an injury.

ocramiroeb - Sounds like a plan. Shorter races are fun too, and you can do more of those.

mattw4jc - I agree that the cutoff may be around a minute next time, although we might get surprised again.

rlk - So how did the Bay to Breakers go? Hopefully you got lucky with the rain, as did we in our alternative race. As   for the weather, seriously WTF?

Ilana - Nice place you got there. Running camp? Heck yeah!

Today's race. The Tilden Tough Ten is always held on the same day as the Bay to Breakers but is otherwise somewhat different. It's a kinda-sorta trail race over hilly terrain along a ridge in the hills behind Berkeley. Actually 8 miles of it is on pavement, although the two that are not are pretty badass.

This year after a day and night of pretty  heavy rain, the RD declared that not only was the trail section now dangerous, but it was also inaccessible to vehicles so anyone slipping on the downhills and hurting themselves would be hard to rescue.    
          So the new plan was to run to the end of the pavement (4 miles), back a mile to a turnaround, to the end again, and back for a total of ten miles. Fortunately the number of runners is quite small so this crazy scheme worked quite well. The local cows did their best to make it more trail-y by trashing an aid station overnight and spreading a most excellent mud/water/poop slurry around on some sections of the trail. I had been been dithering over which shoes to wear, so happened to have my road flats with me which grip really well in the wet (unlike some over-hyped shoes I could mention).

I had a good race. I did skid on the slurry, but so did everyone. Did it in 75 minutes and change (Course PR with a big asterisk). One  of the dubious benefits of age is the amount of attrition in my age group due to injuries. For various reasons I am doing fewer miles and staying reasonably healthy, so If I show up and don't blow up I walk away with some sort of award. This race was the RRCA state 10 mile championship this year, so now I have a medal bearing this mouthful: State  Champion - Tilden Tough Ten - Male Senior Grand Master Champion 2019.

tl;dr: I won the 60-69 AG, not some chess match. My car-pool mate RB2 got the female version, so we were nicely symmetrical on the way home.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Lauren - Congrats on the PR and punching your ticket for Botswana. Looking forward to the autopsy report.

Jim - Congrats on the big AG win and the new hardware!

Botswana cutoff - I'm fully prepared that my 47 second buffer won't actually get me in, and I'm pretty okay with that. Then again, I have found a couple marathons just prior to the cutoff that I could run in hopes of bettering my time should those feelings change. Otherwise, I probably won't race (but may perhaps run) a marathon until the Cowtown at the beginning of next March.

I finally got a nice week up again. I was planning on 14-15 for my LR, but decided to cut it short since I could see a thunderstorm blowing in. When I was 4 miles out I knew I wouldn't beat the storm, sprinkles started at mile 3, and I got absolutely dumped on the last two miles. With the winds (35mph+) and lightning it was probably the worst weather I've ever run in - as I was getting back into the neighborhood DW was in the van coming out to look for me! Just after I got back in the house my phone started blaring - the National Weather Service had just declared a flash flood warning for the area.
        Possible big weather today, too - we're supposed to get from "just" severe thunderstorms with flooding and/or large hail all the way to big tornadoes. Lots of area schools actually cancelled classes for today, since very few have basements or large enough safe rooms to house all the kiddos should a tornado come by. The hidey hole is cleaned out and stocked!

Monday, May 13, 2019 thru Sunday, May 19, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
        Mon 11.8 7:37 2(8x 1/4mi R) 156 (80%) strava
        Mon 2.4 8:25 I found the heat again 137 (70%) strava
        Tue 8.8 8:13 4 deer (4 strides), 3 geese, 1 rabbit, & 1 hawk 145 (74%) strava
        Tue 2.5 8:18 Another day, another 20 minute double 135 (69%) strava
        Wed 10.1 8:20 3 herons and a solid half-mile cloud of gnats 144 (73%) strava
        Thu 11.7 7:36 7x 4 min I 152 (78%) strava
        Fri 7.3 8:23 3 deer (3 strides) & 1 bat 144 (73%) strava
        Sat 11.1 8:18 3 hawks (1 eating a snake), 1 scissor-tailed fly catcher, and very much not beating the thunderstorm 143 (73%) strava
          65.7 8:03

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

jim NICE! I'm all about big asterixs these days.

rlk I like the outfit for B2B. Looks like the ran came and went without affecting the race.

Lauren congrats. Sounds like you put it all out there and had a slightly better than me day with the finish result.

keen man...don't say that. 47 seconds is HOPEFULLY enough. I don't want to find out I need to break 3 at CIM to get in to Boston 2021. I'd have to hang out in a different thread and listen to Jmac tell me about how great the JD2Q training is. Probably to the point I do it trying to prove him wrong, and PR. Oh and I like how my niece says "tur-neigh-duh" with her North Carolina accent. "ITS A TUR-NEIGH-DUH!"

my week:

I was a useless POS for the most part. To the point I've decide to just quit drinking all together. I'd rather feel like I did after Mt Charleston and have it be from running than drinking. Oh and I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones. I hear its a good TV show people are getting in to. I need to get back into running this week and doing long Saturday runs. 40 miles should be possible. Maybe some trails. Oh and I hate vehicle electrical work but I want the passenger window of the jeep to roll up. Buying a new motor from Pick N Pull didn't solve the problem.

EDIT: https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190520/22-year-old-ohio-woman-dies-running-cleveland-marathon

This resonates with me. I'm wondering why she didn't just quit knowing how I felt for the last hour or so, and also what went wrong for her. Dew point plus humidity is a 120 which works for training but I feel like there is something else that happened. 22 year old college athlete collapses 1/4 mile from the finish and dies...something went MAJORLY wrong that day other than running a marathon in the heat.

From the article:

Hospital officials told Beacon Journal/Ohio.com news partner News 5 Cleveland that 60 to 70 racers were treated on site for “heat illnesses, dehydration, muscle strain and ortho injuries.”

Weather forecast: 60s with 85% humidity and a dew point of 59.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufilter=NULL&v=XqMa8bRFbv0

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

Thanks folks! I'm still pouty but I'll get over it and channel that anger into a better race someday. I typed up a long thing that's on the B&B forum, link here for convenience.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Lauren- for such a suckfest, that's a great PR, congrats!!! Hope you give it some time to settle in and forget the pain, but remember the PR Smile

Jim- "senior grand master"! I like that! Do you play chess?

Congrats on the race and distinguishing award! Bummer about the rearranged course, but totally warranted.

We too got SOOOO lucky with weather. Holy cow. I got briefly poured on during my warmup down to the start, so my socks were wet the whole day, but then the sky opened up and the day was beautiful. The race was fun (not race effort for me - a centipede is only as fast as its 13th runner) and the reaction to costumes is always awesome. I'll post some photos later. Ah, and ended up saying a few words on NBC >_<

brew- thanks! yeah, i thought about you and how it was a bummer you missed out since it ended up being nice here after all. But I'm sure the journey here still would've been rough adn not worth it. I hear Squaw got a foot of snow on Saturday...

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

To the point I've decide to just quit drinking all together. I'd rather feel like I did after Mt Charleston and have it be from running than drinking

Hah - this made me laugh.

Lauren - I'm sorry the race sucked, but at least you got something from it.  I have to admit, I was a bit confused about your comment on wasting the Tracksmith singlet and Vaporflies on the race.  Not sure why those were wasted.

CK - that's crazy.  I was about to brag/whine about having to run through ankle deep water for 100m (and dodge idiots swinging oars) (not at the same time), but you've effectively stolen my thunder.

BTW, please stay safe tonight.

RLK - saw the pictures, both from your FB feed and from news articles posted by friends in the area who are not runners but thought your costumes were the coolest thing ever.

Jim - nice job on what sounds like exactly the kinda course I'd skip....  And...I really do believe that in the older age groups, getting to the start line is part of the competition.

Here's my week, belatedly:

61 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 4x800 in 6:02, 2:56, 2:56, 2:56, 2:51 (recovery of just under 5:00 after the 1600; all other recoveries just over 2:30).  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                W: 8 miles very easy (8:52), drills/strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:55)
                Th: Upper body weights/core and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                F: 12 miles, including a tempo on the track of a bit over 3 miles in 20:15 (intended 4 miles, did 6:26/6:22/6:26/1:01 before bailing when I started working too hard).  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                Sa:  10 miles very easy (8:53), drills, strides, and upper body weights/core.
                Su:  15 miles - first 4 averaging 8:39; next 4 averaging 7:23; last 6 averaging 6:57, and then a cool-down of a bit less than a mile.  Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

From the Internet.

Thanks folks! S'pose a PR is a PR no matter how you slice it, and the BotswanaQ minus five gets you into the 4/20 race no matter how junky and depressed you feel while you're getting it, lol.

Dwave - they were just awfully expensive shoes to jog a marathon in, is all! If I could have gazed into the future to see how my day would go, I'd have saved my coin and just run in one of my trusty long run/workout shoes. I'll get a couple more marathons out of them so I guess it's not really a waste! And I did PR even though my bad race math had me thinking that was out of the question at one point, so wearing the Tracksmith kit wasn't a waste either (usually race in club colors, but was going for PR bonus money with Tracksmith).

AceHarris

Lauren: Congrats on the PR!  Sorry you didn't get what you wanted out of your experience on race day. Sounds like it was a mental test for you. Anytime you complete 26.2 you're putting experience in the bank for next time. Well done!

Jim: Congrats on the new title! Although, that one is tough to turn into a vanity plate.

Keen: Nice week! I saw 4 deer on my trail run yesterday, so I think you need to do 4 more strides on your next run. I have a buddy that is BQ - 48s! I really hope both of you all get in! He's going to run Marquette in August.

RLK: I enjoyed the strava post on B2B. Looked like a lot of fun and nice pacing!  I was showing my wife the post, she was both intrigued and confused, haha.

My Week:

Tu: 8 @ 7:53 - only 46 degrees this morning, felt amazing

F: 7 @ 8:08 pushing my youngest in the stroller and working the uphills - 68 degrees

S: 7 @ 7:56 with a full moon

S: 14 @ 7:30 - 8 easy, 4 tempo-ish (6:46, 6:36, 6:35. 6:30) - Felt surprisingly good on the tempo. It was warm and humid, but breathing was easy throughout the pickup and legs felt light. Probably the benefits of only running 4 days a week.

Week: 36 miles

Had a nice trail 10 miles yesterday when it was 85 degrees out. Shade is good. Only had 2 ticks on my at the end, so that's pretty good. Last 7 days was 46 miles. Almost felt like real training.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Lauren - Nice RR. Which revenge race are you targeting?

DWave - Sorry to have preemptively one-upped you. Solid week, though!

Ace - How's all the trail running treating you? "Only" 2 ticks. yuck.
                      I'll try to take care of those deer strides for you tomorrow.

The first day with weather that threatened tornadoes passed yesterday. There was a rare pair of sister tornadoes that dropped down in the country ~10 miles from me, but they were baby tornadoes and didn't last long or really do any damage to even crops/livestock. We did get plenty of rain though, along with some hail - no damage to us, thankfully. Some low-lying areas, especially ones near a creek or a lake, flooded and several houses ended up at least partially underwater.

Good workout today on the treadmill as I watched what should be the last of this round of storms pass by.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Nice report, Lauren.  You held it together better than another friend of mine who ran the same race (came in around 3:28).

I think sub-3:20 would have been too aggressive as a goal, so IMO you did a good thing holding back (inasmuch as you did!) early. The profile actually reminds me a lot of St. George, with a big hill in the first 10 miles and a huge descent in the second half.  I mean, obviously your stomach issues were a big factor (and I have btdt) but I do think you probably outran your fitness a little, but clearly not too much because you finished strong.

Jim - you are the champion, my friend!

As some of you have noticed on Strava (HI!) I have upped the mileage a bit heading into my half which is in a few weeks.  I have had some good longish runs and good track workouts with the club.  This week though will be a down week because the weather has been terrible.  Right now it's hailing and blowing and I hope the power doesn't go out because there is lightning, too.  It snowed yesterday. On the other hand, the resort got 8" and announced they're opening for the weekend!

From the Internet.

Thanks folks! CK - Baystate Marathon in Lowell MA on 10/20. Cheap, flat and fast, close to home, not too big or too small! And two loops, so if I go out hard and totally blow up I can DNF after 13 lol.

Baystate Marathon in Lowell MA on 10/20. Cheap, flat and fast, close to home, not too big or too small! And two loops,...

I've run it twice and like it a lot.  The 2nd time it seemed a bit less flat and more roller-y than I had remembered.

pepperjack

pie man

That's why Erie was so great, somehow seemed even flatter on the second loop.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

From the Internet.

I've run it twice and like it a lot.  The 2nd time it seemed a bit less flat and more roller-y than I had remembered.

It was my first marathon in 2016 and my half PR last year, so I have both unfinished business AND good associations with it, lol!