2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Vaporflys....

they were just awfully expensive shoes t... I'd have saved my coin and just run .

Pretty much how I feel about them. I ran with plenty of people who wore them and blew up, or PR'd. It seems to be a placebo effect and people are going to praise a shoe instead of training...I mean, Just because I've PR'd on the Hanson's Advanced plan and blew up in Chicago doing the Jack Daniels 2Q workout plan doesn't mean the JD2Q plan doesn't work. I've PR'd CIM twice and Mt. Charleston once but I will recommend CIM over Mt. Charleston hands down. I honestly thing Revel Mt. Charleston 2020 will be WORSE than 2019. Oh and I think dwave said not to make any decisions about marathons for 10 days.

keen I saw the flood warnings and checked here. I assumed you'd let us know you're going to be training in a different area if anything was in trouble.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

run brag:

(but if it makes you feel better, i was slogging super hard this morning!)

Ilana- can't believe all the snow! My dad and my bf's parents (Denver burbs and COS, respectively) keep texting us pics out their windows. Dad's gonna ski at A-Basin later this week.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

Meanwhile 90 miles to the north

...and 6500 feet higher

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK - I'm just a little jealous of that view - and the weather that goes with it. Perhaps I'll take my phone along on a run sometime soon so I can post a picture of the vast stretches of farmland I get to look at on my runs.

PJ - Craziness with all the snow.

Brew - How's the work on the Jeep going? Get that electrical issue figured out?

Possibly more bad weather this afternoon through tomorrow morning. Hooray for spring in tornado alley!

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do for a workout tomorrow. Tuesday was alternating HM effort and 5k effort intervals. Any suggestions on something to try, preferably something that I might be able to do on a treadmill if it comes to that?

DW and the kiddos want to go to my in-law's to swim Saturday. If I'm feeling ambitious I might run there from my house, which is probably 18-19 miles depending on the route I take.

ETA: Whoa!! The semi-local semi-pro runner I've mentioned a couple times (met her after a HM in Tulsa a couple years ago) just had an article written about her on Runner's World. It was really interesting to follow her build-up on Strava leading up to setting the CR at the OKC Marathon this spring.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen: 10k tempo run? Warm up and cool down while running with digital cyclists? I’d say run to the house then chill in the pool after. Long run, then pool could feel good. As for the Jeep...took some electrical measurements and threw them to a off roaring forum. Since this (self diagnosing electrical) is new to me I have no clue what these numbers really mean. Just that the motor works on a different door but not this one.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

PJ damn!!! gloomy.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Adding my contribution to crazy weather - here's the results of some storms that rolled through on Thursday afternoon.  These pictures are from one of my regular running routes.

https://twitter.com/ArlingtonVaPD/status/1131673155083350016

Just crazy.  The storm pretty much popped up out of nowhere - apparently it was a front that fell apart as it crossed the Appalachian Mountains, but then unexpectedly rebooted when it hit the DC area humidity.   We got the tornado warnings about 5 minutes AFTER we had grabbed the cats and gone down to the basement.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Point Reyes was more akin to the top image than mine.  Phone is out of commission, gps was previously out of commission.  So I just ran and it was nice.  Other folks in the group did have devices and so I have an estimate of things.  No photos, which is a shame it was rather gorgeous. Trial out to the ocean reminded me a bit of far North Queensland.  A lot of stinging things.  My legs are just tingling.  Ahhh, california...

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Point Reyes was more akin to the top image than mine.  Phone is out of commission, gps was previously out of commission.  So I just ran and it was nice.  

That's very old school runner.

CK - you OK?  I saw that parts of Oklahoma have gotten hit pretty hard recently.

Since I'm here, I'll drop off my week.  I'm racing a road mile on Monday, so I eased up on things the latter half of this week:

42 miles, 20 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                    M: yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.
                    T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2x1200, 2x800, 2x400, 2x200 in 4:30, 4:24, 2:56, 2:53, 86, 83, 41, 41 (recovery of 2:20-2:30 after the 1200s and 800s, 90 seconds between the 400s, and 75 seconds between the 200s).  Also leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                    W: 5 miles very easy (8:59), yoga, and 7 miles very easy (8:43), and drills/strides
                    Th: Upper body weights/core and 7.5 "miles" of pool-running.
                    F: 10 miles, including a track workout of 3200, 1600 in 12:29 (6:14/6:15), and 6:08 (~5 minute recovery).  Followed with 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                    Sa:  8 miles very easy (9:00), drills, strides, DIY yoga, and light upper body weights/core.
                    Su:  4 "miles" of pool-running, 1000 yards of swimming, and some DIY yoga.

In other news, for anyone who cares about my GI troubles, I finally got the biopsy results back for my colonoscopy, and it confirmed I have ulcerative colitis (very mild version - not anything like the horror cases you can google).  So, my Shamrock issues this spring were a UC flare.  

UC gets treated with a) medication and b) lifestyle/diet modifications.  The good news is that I implemented the lifestyle/diet modifications years ago, when we knew I had autoimmune problems and a bad GI tract, but inconclusive test/scoping results.  So now I get to go on some more meds that will hopefully prevent future flares.  So that's win.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dwave I guess having “light” UC is better than “Google” UC. Are there more dietary restrictions you could make? I’d imagine you made them all over history. Any idea WHAT could have caused the reaction? Beans, rice, cilantro?

VDOT 53.37 

dw - bummer about the UC, but I guess it's good to know (and hopefully will remain mild)   Did you have ulcers or biopsies on your prior colonoscopies or flexsigs?  (just curious...)

my week:  (no running due to calf strain)

M: 1h XT + weights

T: 1h pool running + spin

W: rd

Th:1h pool running + spin

F: 1h XT + weights

S: spin

S: spin

I'm keeping Peloton in the black.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dwave I guess having “light” UC is better than “Google” UC. Are there more dietary restrictions you could make? I’d imagine you made them all over history. Any idea WHAT could have caused the reaction? Beans, rice, cilantro?

I'm pretty sure what triggered the March issues - in early March I went to a farewell luncheon for a friend/coworker who is vegetarian.  They catered a special meal for the luncheon that was packed full of stuff that's triggers for me - beans, nuts, cheese.  I tried to be careful but wasn't careful enough, and started having problems after.  What was different is that usually I'd have problems for 2-3 days, and then be fine.  This time, the problems lingered on and on all the way through my half-marathon, which was about 2 weeks after that luncheon.

dw - bummer about the UC, but I guess it's good to know (and hopefully will remain mild)   Did you have ulcers or biopsies on your prior colonoscopies or flexsigs?  (just curious...)

So, colonoscopy in 2010 or so (can't remember and can't find the actual report) showed "abnormal mucosa" and the report referred to  "indeterminate colitis."  Biopsies were taken - I don't have the results, but I seem to recall they were inconclusive.  At that same time, they also did a upper endoscopy (might as well do everything at once...) and that found esophagitis and gastritis.  So basically I was irritated from the front door to the back.

Cut out the gluten, lactose, nuts, dried fruit, beans, etc, and things improved substantially, though I'd still have mild issues from time to time (nothing like the issues that led to the colonoscopy, where a 10 mile run would often include 4-5 breaks).  Interestingly I also had a long history of elevated CRP that dropped into the normal range when I started limiting my diet.

Flex-Sig in 2013 says "appears to be local inflammation from running."  Flex-Sig in 2017 says the same, plus external hemorrhoids.  No biopsies either time.

This is the first time ulcers were noted.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dw- whoa, sorry to hear it! but glad you have a path forward, and that the "lifestyle changes" are already taken care of. if i may ask - i'm curious what medication you've been diagnosed. my project at work for the past ~4 years has been a drug indicated for UC/CD. it's currently in late stage clinical trials, but it's an interesting competitive landscape as there are already a lot of treatment options out there. makes it better for the end user, i think - forces everyone developing the drugs to be more innovative and think more about patient convenience.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dw- whoa, sorry to hear it! but glad you have a path forward, and that the "lifestyle changes" are already taken care of. if i may ask - i'm curious what medication you've been diagnosed. 

Rowasa (topical mesalamine)  (actually, the generic version is what the pharmacy gave me).

And...for the record, I think more options are always better.

Rovatti - hope the calf strain heals quickly.

pepperjack

pie man

Glad you got a diagnosis.  Hope the medication helps.

new place is nice, a bit out of the way.  Bonus is it’s 5700 feet or so.  I was expecting Chester at 4400, so this is significantly higher.  Also, closer to Reno.