2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Aw, you guys.  I feel like a poser since I'm probably never going to see a sub-3:20 (and probably not sub-3:30 again) but if you want to read my race report it is here on my blog. No photos yet but I'll add any I get on Wednesday (they are made available for free, another nice perk of a small race).

It is definitely tough seeing my times get worse as I get older, and also seeing that my decline is worse than for men.  Allan (who I mentioned in the RR - some of you might have known him as Tejas Runner back on RWOL) is seven years older than me and he's been narrowing the gap between our race times pretty steadily. (So OMR, take heart!)

Keen - a nighttime Bad Idea this time of year sounds like a Better Idea than a daytime one.

SClever - sounds like she's hooked!  BTW I have ordered an e-bike (actually, two of them, one for Britt as he decided that since I'd done the research he might as well get one too) and it should be arriving this Friday.  I am super super excited!

Beryl - I came pretty close to my at-the-time 5K typical time (not my PR, though) as the third leg in a Ragnar relay.  Also I twice did the Durango Double back when it was a trail 25k/50k on Saturday plus a road half/marathon on Sunday (both times with the shorter option for both races), and that was super fun and my road race was not that far off my then-PR.  So it's not too crazy.

Rovatti - baby that calf!

DWave - you look like you're in great shape for that goal half.

Yesterday I did chores but really didn't have DOMS at all, kind of surprising.  (Saturday after the race I came home and...fell asleep.  Possibly because I had two beers at the after-party.)  Today I did my 4.5 mile trail loop at super-easy pace and felt fine though fatigued.

Oh also some of you may have heard that they made the decision to cancel Hardrock this year. It's a huge event for the local (and Silverton, which is kind-of-local) community so it's a big deal, but I think it was a smart one.  Lots of avalanche debris in the mountains, and the rivers are super high with plenty of snow still on the peaks.

Speed Surplus

"SClever - sounds like she's hooked!  BTW I have ordered an e-bike (actually, two of them, one for Britt as he decided that since I'd done the research he might as well get one too) and it should be arriving this Friday.  I am super super excited!"

Ooh, what kind of bike?

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

kcam

It is definitely tough seeing my times get worse as I get older, and also seeing that my decline is worse than for men.  Allan (who I mentioned in the RR - some of you might have known him as Tejas Runner back on RWOL) is seven years older than me and he's been narrowing the gap between our race times pretty steadily. (So OMR, take heart!)

I can really, really relate to this, Illana.  It wasn't too long ago I was setting my absolute PRs and now no matter what I do I'm in a downward spiral as far as race times go.  It's disheartening but also encouraging (with the right perspective - at least I'm still able to run/train/race).  I'm getting slower 'faster' than my male peers.  Guys I used to beat easily and regularly at any distance are now beating me at all distances, and by a lot.  KCAM REALITY CHECK:  Life is good!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - Great job on the well-executed race, and getting that AG win ahead of Woman in Yellow. Also, if the course was that much longer this year your time actually wouldn't be much slower than two years ago, if any. Also, I love the "yatta!" icon at the top of your RR.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew:  Yes, it is over for a few months.  I may have missed it earlier, but whatever happened with that job interview you had?

I didn't get the job. I received my review and got the worst review I've ever had  (problems with authority, critical and finger pointing of others) then my boss announced she is leaving a month later. Her last day is Friday. Another job requiring zero experience didn't even hire me. I've just given up on doing anything my way at this point in life and doing everything other people's ways. Today that included NOT showing someone what houses South of their residence I was talking about because "I don't want to waste my time" was the logic of that someone. I pretty much fawking hate my office and 90% of the people who work here but it is easier to just shut daFAWK up and do the minimal amount of work I'm assigned. Much easier than overachieving and getting special projects and stuff.

Wife went to Mexico today. Single dad duties for a week include picking up NeRP from grandmas (30 minute drive after work) and now planning dinners since grandma (my mother) doesn't cook dinners. She said she had no food but could make rice for dinner, then wondered if NeRP (18 months) could eat rice and said it might be messy. I said rice isn't dinner and pulled chicken breasts (sorry rlk) from the freezer. I'll grab some veggie after work.

TL;DR: I'm at an extremely low point in my life and there isn't a point of trying. No one else is around to listen to me bitch. I put the jeep back together wrong too.

rlk congratulations on the relay. I had wondered what event was going on this weekend (I was at Fallen Leaf Lake) then remembered it was the 6 person relay. Your non-participating team members should look into the The Reno Tahoe Odyssey. It is the weekend before and 6-12 people can do it. Slightly more expensive but also slightly longer than the 72 miler.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Kcam - yeah, I set all my PRs at age 50 (!) and then menopause hit me like a ton of bricks, oof.  But you're right, I should focus on the yay (or yatta!) that I can still race, and heck, I'm still placing in my AG.

Keen - both races come out to the same pace, actually! And that icon photo is from a hike in the Escalante area.  It's my "Yay, I accomplished something, go me!" icon.  Yatta!

SClever - It's the Priority Embark - turns out you can get it for $1k less via Costco so that's how I ordered it, though ordering from Costco turned out to be a bit more of an ordeal than I expected.

Brew - aw, that's a bummer.  I hope you can either come to terms with your work (maybe a new boss will be the answer?) or find a new job.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - aw, that's a bummer.  I hope you can either come to terms with your work (maybe a new boss will be the answer?) or find a new job.

I just quit caring and take the work they accept as complete, process it and when it comes back as "missing information" I ask the one person who has the official say (my boss) how we should proceed. It is much easier than attempting to think independently and problem solve. I can do that on my own time in the form of marathon training...unless it involves stomach issues. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ilana - Same overall pace, but a longer course and two years (and injuries) later? Sugoi ne!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

runethechamp

Ilana - Thanks for the comments and great to see you are back racing! I can relate to getting older as you can see below..

Brew - Sorry you are feeling down. Hope you get your things worked out.

Dwave, keen SC - Solid weeks.

I think I'm getting too old because now I managed to injure myself swimming. Without seeing a doctor I'm pretty sure it is triceps tendinitis, but at least I was smarter with this injury than with my running and only did one workout after I felt it the first time. I have an appointment with my hamstring doctor in a couple of weeks so if it doesn't feel good by then I will have her take a look at it. At least the weather is nice and I can ride my bike with no problems, and I *think* my hamstring injury finally has made a good turn for the better.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

ilana - strong race!  I'm impressed that you got out there and ran well.

Hey to all you that are injured, old, disgruntled, and/or depressed!

Running Problem

Problem Child

upside to my year...max hand picked me (and rlk) to hang out with him at the end of this month for a few (hopefully less than 12) hours between Foresthill and Auburn. If I can make it I even get a free boat ride out of the deal so I can be a millennial and get a selfie with the "boat driver" who is probably someone important like a race director . I won't get to reenact this moment. Maybe I can encourage him to kick it into high gear so we could meet up with Kaci.

Downside I'm not prepared for trails, keeping him awake that long (I only have so many stories), I haven't been training, and I'm not sure how I'll turn down the (potential) beers he'll bring. I also don't know how to get a sweet story feature like this. Plus I'm not sure I have enough lights, proper nutrition dialed in, experience on the course (last time I told him within 5 minutes "last time I was here I got lost") or activities to do while waiting for him.

I guess this is the motivation I need to TRX tonight after NeRP gets hosed off. This kid REALLY likes water. and laughing. especially after he farts.

rune I saw the recent activities. If ever there was a sign you're intended to be a racecar driver or hot air balloon piolet I'd say it's injuring the muscles you use for post-work activities. At least you can drink Skyrgosi with one injured arm.

VDOT 53.37 

Strict WTF adherent

It is definitely tough seeing my times get worse as I get older, and also seeing that my decline is worse than for men. 

Happy to help on that front.

Happy to help on that front.

You and me both!

(We need a new stat that captures rate of decline in AG%)

OMR

OMR - Best of luck with the new training approach! Any tune-up (utras/marathons) you're thinking about before BC100k next year?

Keen:  Our local running club has four races left in their annual series, so I’m hoping to jump into at least three of those.  They include a couple of 5Ks, a 15K, and then one race that can be a 5K, 10K, or a half.  There are a couple of small marathons within driving distance in September and October, but once mid-November hits, the local marathon season is pretty much over.  I might do one of the marathons if they fit into my schedule, but that would probably be as a supported hard long run, not a race.  We are having some wonderful weather this week as well.

ilana:  Congrats on the half and the AG award.  If the race was longer and your time was only 50 seconds slower, then it doesn’t appear that you are slowing down very much at all!

Brew:  Sorry to hear about the work situation.  Hopefully things brighten up for you on that front before too long, be it a new job, new boss, etc.  The WS outing with max sounds like fun.

rovatti:  hmm...”injured, old, disgruntled, and depressed” ... i am none of those things!  Well, OK, maybe one...or two...or three...  And I don’t think I will want to see what my AG% decline is going to look like...

berylrunner

Rick

10 k went very well.  I changed my conservative plan because of the course.  Some good downhill for the first half.  Also attempted to keep up with my faster brother.   Managed less than a mile but kept him in sight for a few. Went all out, positive split but not too bad of a fade.  40:58, 11 overall, 4th age group.

Split 5k sub 20 so that sets the bar for tomorrow.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59