2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

From the Internet.

Attempting to catch up, lol. Crazy few weeks. My sister is dealing with some wild stuff with her trash person of an ex-SO, which I let stress me out way too much, and I've been super busy with end of the school year stuff and eight million soccer tryouts for next year with my daughter.

ilana nice pacing and congrats on the AG award! Agreed that 50s isn't much of a slowdown, especially if the execution was better this time around!

Brew sorry about the job stuff, that sucks :C

beryl nice 10K!

From the Internet.

I bounced back pretty quickly from the marathon - have done a few 11-12 milers, a few workouts, about 55 miles total two weeks ago and 65 total last week. Should be within that range this week as well. My run streak is at 81 days right now and it kind of finally seems doable to keep it going!

3 mile tempo @ 6:48 average two weeks ago; last week did a shorter fartlek type workout (minute on/minute off and a couple of faster 30s sprints) and then a Thursday night 5K in 20:27 - 34 second PR. This week was 4x5 minutes "on"/2 min recovery, ran by feel and was in the upper 6:30s for the "on" segments, 6 miles GMP today - 7:27 average for those miles, first was a little slow but the last was a little fast. Just cruising along and waiting for my fall revenge!

Strict WTF adherent

55.3%

So there's your benchmark

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

One nice thing about the Steamworks Half is that we got our race photos for free (via Facebook).  Here's my favorite.  I may be getting older and slower but I can still put my arms up!

Mile 3 hands high

darkwave

Mother of Cats

One nice thing about the Steamworks Half is that we got our race photos for free (via Facebook).  Here's my favorite.  I may be getting older and slower but I can still put my arms up!

Hah!  Carbon copy of your avatar!  And congrats to both you and Beryl!

I ran a kinda-sorta 5K today - race report here.  Time was 19:38, which means nothing since the distance was significantly long.

Race management was not great in many ways, which annoyed me.  A very reputable local race management company was doing the timing, so I expected better.  Course turn-around was way off, mile markers were wrong, and there was just a general sense of not prioritizing the race aspect of things.  Which I've seen happen at first time smaller races.  But I expected better from this one, since it was not a first time race, was fairly well promoted, cost $35 to enter, and (again) was associated with a reputable timing company

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

berylrunner

Rick

Ilana, looking good!  Congrats on your race.

Lauren, nice weeks and congrats on your race.

Dark wave- sorry to hear about the poor organization.  Speedy time, well done.

My 5k went well.  Nervous because of sore muscles and the 5k course is the second (slower) half of the 10k course.  5k split from yesterday on that section was 21 min.  Started out too fast but then settled in.  Pushed it and somehow held on to finish in 19:45 (PR).  Second place age group and got a silver metal.  Kind of fun.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

darkwave- ha, this line from your RR "I hate to be the 'but my Garmin says,'" is exactly in line with my 5k experience form a few weeks ago.  and the poor planning from a supposedly reputable organization.

beryl- wow! congrats on the PR!

happy to say my season will be wrapping up this week. will do a low-key 2mile race on the track on tuesday (hosted by another local team that practices on the track at the same time my team does - so it's "low key" but everyone will be watching, ha) and then a road mile on sunday, and that'll be it!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Beryl - you're a beast - no way I could double back like that.  And a PR - wow!

darkwave- ha, this line from your RR "I hate to be the 'but my Garmin says,'" is exactly in line with my 5k experience form a few weeks ago.  and the poor planning from a supposedly reputable organization.

Hah - I was thinking about your race too!  I think what it comes down to is: an odd Garmin reading is not enough by itself to conclude a course was long or short.  But when your Garmin measurement is way off without an obvious explanation like trees, tunnels, tall buildings; AND you have some strange splits (I apparently ran a 6:39 mile in the middle of my 5K, going by manual splits), AND everyone's time is inconsistent with what they expected to run, then you can reasonably conclude the course was wrong.

Good luck on the short stuff - it's bizarrely fun!

My week:

42 miles, 14 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                  M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running
                  T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 2K and then 4x800 - splits were 7:44, 2:56, 2:56, 2:54, 2:51. ~4:30 recovery after the 2K; ~2:20 recovery after the 800s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                  W: 7 miles very easy (8:58), drills, strides, DIY yoga.
                  Th: Upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.
                  F: 4 miles very easy (8:44) and DIY yoga
                  Sa: 3 mile warm-up, "5K" race in 19:37 (course was significantly long - my best guess is about 200m extra), 3 mile cool-down. Later did injury prevention work and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                  Su: 10 miles very easy (8:43), and then upper body weights and core.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

beryl:  Congrats on BOTH PRs!

Lauren:  Nice PR on the 5K!

McBen:  Hmm...I'll have to investigate what that means for me for a 5K.

ilana:  Nice photo.

Dwave:  Well, the fact that it was long and that was your time means that you are fast!

rlk:  Good luck with the 2M and road mile!

My week:

M:  8.4

T:  7.6

W:  7.3

T:  Rest

F:  7.4

S:  11

S:  6.6

Total:  48.3

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Beryl - Awesome job on both races!

Lauren - That is a quick bounce-back from the marathon, and awesome on the 5k PR! I forget if you've said this before, but do you have any more shorter distance races planned over the summer?

Ilana - It's awesome how much like your avatar that photo looks!

DWave - Bummer about the handling of that race.

RLK - Any goals for your last two races? Good luck in both, either way.

Decent/acceptable week from me. One workout I had a hard time hitting the right effort on the harder portions and I didn't get a LR in. My girls wanted to make me breakfast Saturday (crepes!) so I planned on moving it to Sunday, but hail/lightning that morning would have had me on the treadmill - but the storm had knocked out the power so I couldn't do that, either. Not worried about it though since I'm still so far from any possible races.
                      Ditched a planned workout this morning. My left quads and hamstrings felt tight and were somewhat restricting the range of motion needed for the tempo run (no pain at all), so I just backed off and turned it into an easy run (muscle tightness didn't interfere with easy effort/pace).

Random tidbit: I created a Strava course for my planned LR just so I could get some direction prompts to make sure I didn't forget any turns since I was planning running roads I hadn't gone over before. Looking at the elevation chart it was interesting to see where they were obviously estimating the elevation profile based on GPS/radar data (long stretches that are obviously too flat or perfectly at a particular grade), and where it was based on readings from the barometric altimeter in my watch (because I know no-one else has run or ride on these roads with an altimeter-equipped tracker before).

Monday, Jun 10, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 16, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Mon 12.1 7:55 Seeing where my fitness stands. 4x opening strides, 3x all-out hill sprints, then one long, uphill interval. 141 (72%) strava
                      Tue 10.6 8:22 4 rabbits, 2 hawks, and 1 owl 131 (67%) strava
                      Wed 10.6 7:55 2 rabbits, 2 herons, and too much of my road washing away 140 (71%) strava
                      Thu 13.2 7:19 5x (5 min CV, 2 min reco, 4 min 5k effort, 2 min reco) 153 (78%) strava
                      Fri 8.3 8:16 Most of the miles - Innsbruck 132 (67%) strava
                      Fri 2.1 8:23 (and now you know...) The rest of the miles - Innsbruck 131 (67%) strava
                        56.9 7:54

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ckeen- well, after a full week straight of legs feeling like garbage (yesterday was the peak of it), I am questioning if i should do the 2M on Tuesday... my goal would be to break 12:00.

Not sure what advice I'm even asking for, but  ... anyone have tried-and-true ways to wake up your legs? Or to decide if they're just a bit overcooked and there;'s no coming back until you take a real break?

For the 1M on Sunday (which I'm already signed up for and committed to), I think the goal is under 5:30? I'm told it's a slight downhill course, and it's a straight-line route. My last road mile was a crit-style course which is a bit slower because of all the tight corners.

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk how is the leg feeling? I thought the plan was to relax and not push it. IS a 12:00 two miler going to help the glute muscles? Then following it with a road mile (5:20 is my guess) sounds like a fair amount of work with a sore butt. I'm more than confident you'd be able to pull these two off, but I'm not the one with the sore butt. I'm the one with the Jeep and lack of motivation along with sh*tty work situations. 

beryl good job on the race

dwave Sucks when the race is mismanaged. I think everyone needs that reminder sometimes just to remember not everything is a well established run full of well prepared volunteers. Sometimes a sh*tshow of a race makes you appreciate how well other runs can be. Oh and I always think of max when it comes to races measured by GPS being short. Yes I'd talk to the race director and tell them "hey my watch TOTALLY measured this long. So weird." but I'm also KIND OF critical of people and guilty of finger pointing according to a recent performance review.

ilana How many shirts do you have that color? I seriously thought it was the same one from the profile but noticed the lack of sleeves.

keen just take your phone with you like all millennials. "Hey google/siri give me direction to " works for me.

DW comes back late tonight. I'm already 100 miles behind my pace bunny for 2019 miles this year, and I realized CIM training is going to start pretty soon. Guess I need to get out there and do some speed work, or running in general. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will axe murder me before July.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

ckeen- well, after a full week straight of legs feeling like garbage (yesterday was the peak of it), I am questioning if i should do the 2M on Tuesday... my goal would be to break 12:00.

Not sure what advice I'm even asking for, but  ... anyone have tried-and-true ways to wake up your legs? Or to decide if they're just a bit overcooked and there;'s no coming back until you take a real break?

For the 1M on Sunday (which I'm already signed up for and committed to), I think the goal is under 5:30? I'm told it's a slight downhill course, and it's a straight-line route. My last road mile was a crit-style course which is a bit slower because of all the tight corners.

point 1: ice baths are my go to for freshening up legs pre-race.

point 2: if you don't want to do a race, the chances are you will not perform well - we can't run our best unless we want to be there at some level.  If you can't find some reason that you really can get enthusiastic about the race, then better not to do it IMHO.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

glute/ham thing feels totally fine, been that way for a week+.

more just dragging legs all week. and yesterday i was sorta lightheaded on my run - every time i stopped at a light in the 2nd half of the run (10mi@8:20) I felt like the blood rushed to my head. It was weird. Maybe I should ice bath - I haven't done that in ages.

I do want to do the 2mi race - it is incredibly convenient, i really liked the 2mi distance when i did it last year, think i would improve, would have a few people to key off of in the race, etc ... but I'm just worried that if my legs feel crummy because they're overworked, this will deepen the "hole" I'm in. And the 1mi race on Sunday is more important.

But  on the other hand, I am like "why would they be overworked"? I've been doing lower mileage (45-50mpw the past month+) and "sharpening" type workouts recently, getting a lot of sleep, etc etc.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

more just dragging legs all week. and yesterday i was sorta lightheaded on my run - every time i stopped at a light in the 2nd half of the run (10mi@8:20) I felt like the blood rushed to my head.

Have you checked your ferritin recently?