2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Have you checked your ferritin recently?

on 3/18/19 it was 25 ng/dL. low end of the normal heuristic, but continuing a slight upward trend for me.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Interesting - I understood that generally anything under 40 was considered low for runners - though I know it's individual. So that seems low to me.  Though obviously you know your body better than I do.

for myself - I need to be at least 70-80 to be running well (mine was 139 last time I checked, believe it or not).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

oh wow. i don't think mine has ever been measured at higher than 30? was 11 towards the end of college, and i've slowly worked my way up. all this to say- i don't think iron-deficiency anemia is the issue at this moment

Running Problem

Problem Child

point 2: if you don't want to do a race, the chances are you will not perform well - we can't run our best unless we want to be there at some level.  If you can't find some reason that you really can get enthusiastic about the race, then better not to do it IMHO.

Pretty much this. If you aren't feeling it it's possible you underperform and carry that into the mile race. I'd pick the more important one and go for it since it seems to be a "season" ender until CIM (assuming you're running) comes up. Glad you're feeling better. Did you find a dr. to see or just stop looking into it more after it felt better?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

actually just signed up for cim today! yikes. and yes, season ends, then get to play around for a few weeks, then will start base building.

i got a pretty rough massage and then focused on doing glute-firing exercises before most runs/especially workouts. kinda just went away on its own. very thankful for that.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - You're "already" 100 miles behind goal? Ha! I'm about 218 miles behind right now according to RA. I can still hit my goal, but missing a LR like I did this past weekend really hurts that progress.

CIM - That one is on my to-do list. Maybe next year...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk I guess I'll have to finally pay you that beer I owe you. Damn 5Ks. Enjoy the time off. Any vacation trips coming up? Any kind of goal for CIM set? I have at least one friend locally coming (his second) and I'm trying to convince two more. One I think is 50/50. Mostly the fear of the first marathon holding him back, but on a long run he learned marathon pace is mostly easy pace FEEL compared to 5K-HM feel. Another said he would hop in if Mr 50/50 does. I think when training ramps up around August (WOW that seems so soon) they'll look more into signing up.

Brew - You're "already" 100 miles behind goal? Ha! I'm about 218 miles behind right now according to RA. I can still hit my goal, but missing a LR like I did this past weekend really hurts that progress.

CIM - That one is on my to-do list. Maybe next year...

Yeah...if you forgot my bet with ace I kind of slacked when I had to do about 40-50 miles a week to hit 2,000. 100 miles behind with lots of weekends full with Jeep or family stuff might make it slightly more challenging to get those Saturday long runs. I might need to start waking up at 4am again to get extra miles in. At least the weather is better at that time.

ace I was thinking about you the other day. I saw we have Bells Two Hearted Ale locally available.

Speed work...not looking forward to starting ANYTHING fast, or TRX. Both of which I enjoyed earlier this year. Marathon training....maybe not so much. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

Brew: I appreciate you thinking of me when you see good beer. I enjoyed some new brews while in New Mexico last week from Santa Fe Brewing and La Cumbre. Sorry work sucks. I hear running is a good stress reliever.

Lots to catch up on since I haven't been around in a while. I'll have to go back and do some reading.

We just got back from vacation in Santa Fe. It  was a great trip other than 50 hours of delay in travel...for a domestic flight!! Really frustrating since the delays led to only getting 1 day with my brother instead of 3. We did get a fun afternoon in Chicago with the kids. I got some decent runs in while in NM. I could feel the elevation a little bit, ranged from 7k-9k. Also enjoyed some good hikes with the family.

I'm feeling stronger on hills and trails, but can tell I'm losing a little speed. Hopefully I can get back on the track soon to stay balanced.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

Stopping by.  I now live in the land of very limited internet.  Have been to Reno twice in the first three weeks though.  Becoming a regular at the Costco there.

did by little Gabe tribute on the track while in sac Sunday.  Did a 3000 cause she won that at indoors despite Alberto and NOPs best efforts to get disqualified. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 11:12 which means I could probably manage sub 19?  It was sorta hot but not humid so decent.

The plan was also to do a 1500 cause that was probably her best event.  I wasn’t sure about doing the full thing after a hard 3k so I decided to run four minutes hard and see if I got back to finish before she would complete a full race (4:01 pr),  and just made it.  Then decided to finish out the full 3.75 laps anyway.  Decent effort at least.

i was borderline low iron in high school.  I seem to remember being in the 20s, but I’m not 100 percent sure on that number.  The doctor definelty said I wasn’t anemic, just borderline low.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

PJ- Smile  you ran those fast, too. we did a SF memorial run on Monday evening, timed it as close as we could after work to the post-funeral run in MSP. nice to have different clubs and friends-of-friends come together for it.

decided to skip the track 2mi race, took yesterday completely off. short run this morning, still feel crummy, blah blah.

Now a ramble about some fun nuance of our local race circuit...

If the race this Sunday (last of my season) were any longer than 1 mile, I think I would bail! But here in PA-USATF land, we have "grand prix" race series (plural) that are scored with points on both an individual and team basis - and if you finish in the top 15 (for Open AG runners) on a points basis in the short or long road race series, you get all your race entries in that series comped the following year. Points are awarded descending from first place at 100 points. It's a big deal to make the Comp list, in my mind! Not for the $ but for the accolade of "top 15 short road racer in the region" type of thing. The elite runners can show up for just a couple races and score well enough at those few to easily make the Comp list, but for me it takes showing up for almost all of them and doing decently.

Here are the current standings: https://www.pausatf.org/data/2019/RRWomensStand2019.html

Most of you know my name so you can see that I'm doing well so far, by virtue of showing up to everything and performing decently. But most of the people just behind me on this list are a good deal faster than me, so they could easily surpass me whenever they decide to show up. Also, notably, 2nd, 11th, 12th, and 16th places are over 40 so for the final Comp list they will be taken out of the Open rankings (there are separate Comp lists for each age group. I believe Jim has been on some Comp lists in the past). I tanked at the most recent race (RFAS) and I will be out of town for the 5k after that (so Morgan Hill burrito for me, brew), so I do want to get it together for Sunday (OMB Mile).

And "SVTT" which is the final race on this list for the year is the Silicon Valley Turkey Trot ... it's an all-comers 5k in San Jose BUT it has an Elite field. So your 15-16.5min 5k pro women will race, and then just a few of us local folk will line up with them. We are instructed to run in the Elite field instead of the "fun run" event, because our start line position/timing/etc matter, but yes we get completely demolished by them. It is a crit-style course so it is fast! And I don't think I would get lapped. But it would still be a lonely and humbling race experience.

Here are results from last time it was on our race circuit: https://www.pausatf.org/data/2016/RR5KSJ2016pa.html#womenOPEN 

Running Problem

Problem Child

RLK: I’ve known non-running events to require a minimum number of ‘participation’ to prevent such a thing. Something like Top 15 must have 4/6 races. Hope you have a great race this weekend. Top 15 would be really cool for you. Almost like top 35 at Dipsea.

PJ: you could run along the river or the Tahoe Pyramid path out East of Verdi. Mt. Rose would be a good climb. Also the Tahoe’s Rim atrial. Steamboat Ditch Trail runs through town. It can get slightly hidden between homes so I’d take your phone if you ran that just to look up some connections on digital maps.

EDIT: Found this gem today. Something good DID come out of this day other than a PR. FLOATING RUNNER IMAGE!!!

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

rlk, I totally understand the 'chasing points' thing!  I was compd (Long GP) a few times in my late 40's/early 50's but I had to hit every race to make it!  Are you only interested in the Short series or are you working the Long too?  Good luck the rest of the way and I hope you get that comp.  I'll be running the OMB, we should say hullo in person!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - 50 hours of travel to "just" go as far as you did sounds pretty terrible, especially with little ones!

PJ - I hope you're enjoying the kind of territory that results in lack of internet availability.

RLK - Feeling good about the race this weekend?

Brew - Nice picture find.

The local XC teams have started summer base training as of this week. Yesterday I was nearly through with my run and I heard voices coming from a place they shouldn't - a creek beneath a tiny bridge, surrounded and hidden by trees. I caught a glimpse of 5 or so "runners" who were just having a chat down there. I thought about jokingly calling out that they wouldn't get fast standing around down there (no one else was around to hear), but decided against it.

Listening to a podcast at work I just heard the host read out the review I left of the show. That was nifty, and a disproportionate high point of my day so far.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

kcam- cool!! would be great to say hi. I look like my avatar but so do about 15 other people who will be there... :P

I haven't chased Long Series yet - seems like a more "all in" commitment, needing to be sharp for 10mi in March and 26.2mi in December. Will do it one of these days, though. Already slightly apprehensive about SVTT 5k on Thanksgiving, just before CIM. (Though CIM seems to be a week "late" this year.)

brew- yeah i totally thought you could "drop one" race for this but I read the rules and can't find anything like that :/ Will ask coach. They do exclude people who have only done (I think) 2 or fewer of the races. So preventing some local semi-pro from showing up for 2, getting their 200 pts, etc. Also, this is much less competitive than Dipsea black shirt Wink

ckeen- thanks for asking!

did a few tuneup 400s this morning and even though i'm still feeling a bit tired, legs felt better going at a fast pace (was doing ~5:20s) than they have at ez pace. so a bit more optimistic for sunday!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rlk: missed it the first time about the burrito...man I want one. Super TAK-oh-REE-UHHH! Really it’s just a burrito. I think it’s a “I grew up here and they were really good. It’s comfort food. I miss them” kind of thing. Better than Garlic or Mushrooms that early too. The SJ 5K sounds fast as FAWK! Is there any real reason other than the course making it fast? Some kind of qualifier or tune up race for elites? I read about it one time and was surprised I’d never heard of it after being there 20ish years.

VDOT 53.37