2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK & DWave - Best of luck with your races this weekend.

DWave - Several local people I follow on Strava are already in Duluth and apparently the weather is pretty awesome.
    Tracking info?

Speaking of weather, I got my arse kicked this morning. I didn't check temps or anything (usual this week has been mid-upper 60's, with dew point a couple degrees lower) and I wished I had. 80*/75*DP was a pretty big change, and I sure found myself wishing I had brought a handheld along. At least there was some cloud cover.

I had a completely meaningless streak come to an end yesterday. I was finishing the run off with a stride and stopped my watch when I hit 11.75mi. I didn't notice until later that I had hit it "too late" and my watch actually stopped at 11.76 - the first time this year I didn't stop a run with my mileage ending in a "0" or "5". Oh, well...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had a completely meaningless streak come to an end yesterday. I was finishing the run off with a stride and stopped my watch when I hit 11.75mi. I didn't notice until later that I had hit it "too late" and my watch actually stopped at 11.76 - the first time this year I didn't stop a run with my mileage ending in a "0" or "5". Oh, well...

What kind of @$$hole stops their run at anything less than a zero or 5? I'm looking DIRECTLY AT YOU JMAC WITH YOUR XX.96 BULLSHEET!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RLK & DWave - Best of luck with your races this weekend.

DWave - Several local people I follow on Strava are already in Duluth and apparently the weather is pretty awesome.
        Tracking info?

Danke - yes, weather is looking good.  I never count on the weather here until race morning, but so far so good.

Number is...tricky.  If you look me up, I'm bib 11013.  My packet says 13.  And then my bib just has my last name, no number (pretty darn cool).

I would guess either 11013, 13, or Burbach will work.  Timing mats will be weird - the half is on the second half of the marathon course, and so we use the same split mats as the full, which means we get splits at 6.9 (marathon mile 20) and 11.9 (marathon mile 25).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Dwave:  Congrats on the AG win!  1:25:11...speedy!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dwave:  Congrats on the AG win!  1:25:11...speedy!

Thanks - was not what I wanted timewise - left it all out there but had an off day.  The hardware was nice, though.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

A little disappointed our thread almost made it off the front page of the community board. I carry some of that weight.

Dwave: AG win is a solid result! Sorry the time wasn't what you wanted. Looks like you gave it all you had.

RLK: nice work on the mile PR! 12 seconds is huge in a mile!  I have to agree with your strava title of mile anxiety being greater than marathon anxiety. Short races are stressful.

CK: I'm not sure we can be imaginary friends anymore with your recent streak ending. Also, I feel you on the humidity. When I've checked the weather the last three mornings when I got up the humidity was 100%, 100%, and 96%. At least I get to chase my kids around when I get home to try and give them sweaty hugs.

I actually hit 40 miles this week. First time since February. Legs still feel "in shape". Definitely have more strength and endurance than speed. Starting to slow a little, but hard to tell how much since the humidity is affecting my paces as well.

M: 9 easy on the trails (9:36)

Th: 8 hilly route with my youngest in the stroller. Worked the hills (8:14)

Fri: push up contest against my 3 year old. Pretty sure I won, but it was debated.

Sa: 13 at 7:34 - 3 easy, 3 steady state, 1 easy, 3 tempo, 3 easy - tempo miles were a tad slow due to a big hill and humidity, but effort was there.

Su: 10 easy (8:13)

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Awesome job on the AG win, even if it wasn't quite what you wanted overall. I agree, those timing mats are weird.

RLK - Killer mile!!

Ace - *channels Val Kilmer in Tombstone* "If I thought you weren't my friend I just don't think I could bear it". Though without the same sarcastic meaning.

That little streak is starting over again - it's just habit that doesn't really add anything, kinda like running the cul-de-sac near the entrance of my neighborhood.
                Humidity percentage is the same here - I recently learned that, on average, the most humid time of day in Oklahoma is 6am. Somehow that's also the same time I've been hitting the roads in the morning.

Basically all easy running last week. Bailed on one workout because my left leg seemed too tight (no pain), and then decided to just keep it all easy from there. Friday and Saturday really sucked with temps at 80* and dew points at 75F* to start the day. Summer needs to be over with!

Monday, Jun 17, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 23, 2019

Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                Mon 11.4 8:10 1 Mississippi kite, the full moon setting, lots of fog, and several XC kids 143 (73%) strava
                Tue 11.4 8:14 2 hawks, 1 tarantula, and lots more XC kids 146 (74%) strava
                Wed 11.4 8:08 74 tiny toads, 2 rabbits, & 2 other runners 148 (76%) strava
                Thu 11.8 8:01 1 deer (1 stride), 1 rabbit, and a new route 150 (77%) strava
                Fri 11.3 8:34 Had my review read on the TJM podcast. Wahoo! 151 (77%) strava
                Sat 15.1 8:49 1 flock of herons (no Camille in sight), and learning that Austin Armadillos are Awesome 146 (74%) strava
                  72.4 8:20

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- sorry to hear that the result wasn't what you wanted, but any day that you're able to leave it all out there and notch age group victory (prize money for that, yes?) still has some silver linings. looking fwd to reading your report and hearing some analysis on why it might have been an off day. always the opportunity to learn...

thanks ckace!

mile race, put on by kcam's team. very toasty out and a slightly downhill course. just a mile segment of road with a couple gentle curves at one point. mile races are really painful and fun. and weird! i can only recall a couple of moments during the race when i actually had thoughts and decisions to make. the rest is just instinct, which is pretty cool. i ran 5:26 which is a 12 sec PR (I've run 5:38 both on track and on road). a couple seconds probably came from the downhill, but this was a road race and not a track race so I think the course is what it is, within reason.

not sure of my splits (though there were signs to mark 400, 800, 1200, 1400, 1500). I think 80, 2:40. My legs tied up for a moment with like 300 to go which was odd, so I feel like there could have been a second or two in there. Also by the end I wasn't very close to anyone else (a couple seconds of buffer in front/behind me), so I wonder if I could have squeezed a better kick out had I been competing in that moment.

Very very happy with it, though!! And no janky hamstring afterwards (like after my previous race, a 5k). Great way to end the season.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk when do you find out if you kept your top 10 placing and do you think you held on enough to stay within reach of free admission to 2020?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

The scoring will come out probably within a few days, and I have my own "standings" spreadsheet to keep track (since they don't update theirs with every race). This year the Mile race was very competitive (top 2 women 4:3X, top several men 4:0X !) so my 5:26 still only put me in like 25th place or so. But I still think I'll be okay. Looks like I'm holding ~8th place for now (it's top 15, not top 10). I'll miss the next one (that's the MH 5k), but the following one (SV TT 5k) actually has a pretty small field behind the elites, and since points depend on placing within PA runners, I think I should be okay.

Running Problem

Problem Child

The scoring will come out probably within a few days, and I have my own "standings" spreadsheet to keep track (since they don't update theirs with every race). This year the Mile race was very competitive (top 2 women 4:3X, top several men 4:0X !) so my 5:26 still only put me in like 25th place or so. But I still think I'll be okay. Looks like I'm holding ~8th place for now (it's top 15, not top 10). I'll miss the next one (that's the MH 5k), but the following one (SV TT 5k) actually has a pretty small field behind the elites, and since points depend on placing within PA runners, I think I should be okay.

You know what that means for SV TT 5K right? The elites will show up due to bad weather in Mortgage Hill (too hot) and you'll have to crank out some "checkers or wreckers" speed to reel in that 8th place securely. Probably another PR going into CIM too. Enjoy the time off though.

I'm trying to figure out how to trail run for a few hours this weekend since I'm not doing road training apparently.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RLK - major congrats!  That's awesome!  Just fantastic.  I'm so happy it worked out!

And yes, I find that the tension at the start of a mile race is just very different from any other sort of race.  I actually like it - it reminds me of my horse-riding days - just that adrenaline jolt that you don't get with the longer distances.

CK - 75 DP is just awful.

Ace - good to see you back!

Hi! to the rest of y'all.  Brew - you're swapping to trails?  Therein lies Smax madness.

I'll drop off my week and my race report.

34.5 miles, 8 "miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
                          M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running
                          T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 2x1200, 2x200 in 6:20, 4:41, 4:39, 45, 43. Followed with 1000 yards recovery swimming.
                          W: 7 miles very easy (8:46), drills, strides, DIY yoga, some light upper body strengthwork.
                          Th: Travel and DIY yoga
                          F: 2 miles very easy (8:54) and DIY yoga
                          Sa: 2.5 mile warm-up, Garry Bjorklund Half in 1:25:11.
                          Su: Off (travel and porking out)

And, my race report:

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- are you hanging out in Auburn this weekend?

dwave- "I normally find "Minnesota nice" endearing, but it is remarkably frustrating when trying to navigate a four way stop sign intersection."

Laughing so hard at this. This sums up all the feelings of being a New Yorker who moved to sloooow and relaxed California. Just envision me running to meetings at 2:59 because I am worried I'll be late, and then I sit in a conference room by myself until everyone else shows up around 3:05-3:10. Every damn day.

kcam

I ran the same race as rlk (congrats on that big PR!) and ran 6:01.1.  Something to build on.

I was taking down those big traffic barriers after the race and somehow jammed one of them into my lower rib cage.  Could hardly sleep last night because it was sensitive to any pressure on it.  Good new is, though is still hurts to touch it, I can run.  I got in 8 miles at lunch today with 3 X 1 mile tempo repeats.  Ribs held up but are sore now.  I think it's just a deep bruise.

RLK, I hope you hang onto that comp - it really is a feather in your cap to achieve it.  The PA is one of the three premiere USATF associations in the country.  The only ones that can give a run for the money is New England and SoCal.  I think our depth is better than either of those but they may have a few faster runners at the very top.  Anyway, to 'comp' in the PA is impressive!

The TT5K discussed earlier really is a premiere road race event.  Here's a photo my wife took of the finish one year  (Alan Webb outkicking Galen Rupp for the win).  It's these kinds of runners on the women's side that rlk will have to contend with!  I'll be there to cheer you on rlk but I'm running the normal-person 10K!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Full blown jump into the deep end axe murdering commitment level from Foresthill to the track for my less than imaginary friend.

I’m sure if that elite vegetarian runner from Cornell was around you’d be there too. 

brew- are you hanging out in Auburn this weekend?

VDOT 53.37