2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

OMR

rlk:  Congrats on the PR to close out the season!

Dwave:  Four-way stops should be illegal in Minnesota.  Nobody seems to know how they are supposed to work.  I also encounter similar stuff when running.  If I stop at an intersection for a brief break or whatever, I will typically wave to a vehicle at the intersection to go through the intersection.  Unless I turn around and start walking the other direction, they will wave back and just sit there and wait for me.  Enjoyed your RR, and congrats again.  Perhaps not the time you wanted, but still well-executed and an AG win.  I momentarily forgot that you don’t look at your watch to check your pace when racing.  Just to play devil’s advocate, I wonder what would have happened had you checked your watch and discovered you were running slower than you thought.  I want to believe there have been times where I have mentally felt as though I was running faster (and with more effort) than I actually was, and had to convince myself that I was actually capable of the pace I wanted to run, even though it felt too hard at the time.

Brew:  Say hello to max for me.

My week:

M:  8.7

T:  Rest

W:  7.75

T:  7

F:  6.7

S:  Off

S:  7.4

Total:  37.5.  Missed Saturday’s LR (which is a MLR right now) because my calf seized up while doing running drills on Friday.  Thought I tore it, but apparently just crampy.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Just to play devil’s advocate, I wonder what would have happened had you checked your watch and discovered you were running slower than you thought.  I want to believe there have been times where I have mentally felt as though I was running faster (and with more effort) than I actually was, and had to convince myself that I was actually capable of the pace I wanted to run, even though it felt too hard at the time.

thanks OMR!

regarding this ^, I've found a few different outcomes from that. sometimes if the effort feels sufficiently high but i see that it yields a slower pace than desired, I get crabby about it and mentally give up.

brew- lol, maybe. definitely wouldve gone up there for max but we are headed to CO. say hi to him for us!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- lol, maybe. definitely wouldve gone up there for max but we are headed to CO. say hi to him for us!

Auburn is on the way.

Long way to travel for being someone against burning fossil fuels. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I momentarily forgot that you don’t look at your watch to check your pace when racing.  Just to play devil’s advocate, I wonder what would have happened had you checked your watch and discovered you were running slower than you thought.  I want to believe there have been times where I have mentally felt as though I was running faster (and with more effort) than I actually was, and had to convince myself that I was actually capable of the pace I wanted to run, even though it felt too hard at the time.

I actually thought about that, and I think one of two things would have happened.  Either I would have tried to force things by picking it up, and then imploded; or held the effort but gone to a really bad place mentally, as RLK alluded to.  No question in my mind I would have performed worse by looking at my watch.

Another point: I went and pulled up the Garmin reports for both this half and my PR last November.  Both my average HR and my maximum HR were higher for this race than for my PR.  (172 and 181 for this race, versus 170 and 176 for Richmond)

Garry Bjorklund

Richmond

Now granted, HR is not a perfect measure of effort, so you can't conclude too much.  But I think this supports my belief that pushing harder would not have ended well.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave hmm that sounds like maybe being overtrained?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave hmm that sounds like maybe being overtrained?

I wouldn't go that far...if I'd been overtrained, I don't  think I'd have run as well as I did.  And when I'm overtrained, I really don't want to run or race - I don't want to be there.  I was really excited to run on Saturday, which argues against overtraining.  Heck, it's taking some mental effort to take my break now, as I really want to get back out there.

I'd go with a combination of "past my selling date" and "not primed for the distance."  My coach thinks that I have been running my workouts too hard.  I'm happy to agree to pull back on them some.  I do think I raced too much between Broad Street and Grandma's and would have benefited more from just training (coach disagrees, and thinks I would have been fine, if I had just run the workouts slower).

Ultimately, I peaked at Broad Street, but failed to pull off a second peak at this race.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Didn’t realize that was this weekend.  Should probably go down and make an appearance since I didn’t last weekend for the sky race.  

Full blown jump into the deep end axe murdering commitment level from Foresthill to the track for my less than imaginary friend.

I’m sure if that elite vegetarian runner from Cornell was around you’d be there too. 

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Didn’t realize that was this weekend.  Should probably go down and make an appearance since I didn’t last weekend for the sky race.  

Bib 137.  He wants me in Foresthill at 6:00 and says he'll be there around 6-8:15. Awards are at 12:30 apparently and there is some brewery he said we might stop at on the way to the finish. I think it was Crooked Lane. My choice would probably be Moonraker.

dwave could humidity have anything to do with it? The finish for Richmond is SMOKIN fast. Possibly some digestive tract stuff? The heart rate going up at the end of St. Louis is interesting. Mine did that because I couldn't cool down (untested non-scientific hypothesis) and glancing over the race repots you said Richmond is primed for a negative split and you expected a tailwind but it felt like a cross wind. You mention having leg pains at St. Louis and the data shows you heart rate started approaching 175 prior to the hill. Looks like a mind/body battle and the mind was in control and the body was trying to hang on. I personally think the mental grind (St. Louis) is harder than the physical grind.

I need to keep reminding myself I'm doing a 40 mile ultra this weekend so I should be relaxing. Might do some easy miles tomorrow then chill until Saturday night. It's still weird starting a run at night. I'm sure Jmac will be proud of me running so late at night. I'll get him back by finishing my run early in the morning though.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave could humidity have anything to do with it? The finish for Richmond is SMOKIN fast. Possibly some digestive tract stuff? The heart rate going up at the end of St. Louis is interesting. Mine did that because I couldn't cool down (untested non-scientific hypothesis) and glancing over the race repots you said Richmond is primed for a negative split and you expected a tailwind but it felt like a cross wind. You mention having leg pains at St. Louis and the data shows you heart rate started approaching 175 prior to the hill. Looks like a mind/body battle and the mind was in control and the body was trying to hang on. I personally think the mental grind (St. Louis) is harder than the physical grind.

Humidity was low at both races.  Both races had great weather.  Richmond has a much faster finish than GB, but also is much more hilly in the middle.  I think both courses are equivalently fast, though not similar to each other.

One thing I've noted - it seems really common for people to have not run what they expected to on Saturday.  Now granted, that happens every race.  But on social media I'm seeing a LOT of "I don't know what it was, but I just didn't have it from the start" - more than I normally do.  And these are experienced runners with reasonable goals who didn't start too fast.

My pet theory (which may just be excuse making) is that the unusually dry and windy weather, combined with a very strange spring, meaning that there was a lot of pollen in the air, and that left people feeling a bit off.  This is backed up by local pollen readings, and also by the fact that my sinuses and throat and eyes were irritated and burning the whole time I was in Minnesota.

This theory is countered by the fact that my breathing was fine, of course.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I laughed and thought of you all today:

we are in the mountains in CO, and our plan for much of this trip was to hike 14ers and such. they still have a lot of snow, more than typical, so we're realizing we probably need better traction for shoes, even bought a set of hiking poles to share, will probably soften our ambitions, etc. We are asking a dude in an outdoors store about yaktrax vs microspikes (microspikes are like a more robust version of yaktrax, good for grades). He says "do you know about screw shoes? That's really your best bet. You should put together some screw shoes."

darkwave

Mother of Cats

He says "do you know about screw shoes? That's really your best bet. You should put together some screw shoes."

Hahahahha!

Good luck this weekend, Smax!  (and Brew)

I love following WS for some reason, even though I've no interest in ever doing an ultra.

For the trifecta on the men's side, I'm taking: Smax, Walmsley, Hazen

Running Problem

Problem Child

RLK: you should have asked him ‘stainless or galvanized? Also what size and length? Home Depot, Lowe’s, Ace or Meeks?’ But the irony. So awesome.

Dwave: Mike Wardian is Running the beltway or something out there this weekend. Starting Saturday around 1 or 2 am. Might be a cool long run. That time I met an amazing human.

Rov: don’t forget Kaci and Matt Daniels. I hope jeff Browning wins for some reason. Isn’t sharman is going for number 10 and needs to do it in something like 18 hours for his ‘1000 miles in 10 days ‘buckle. Ofherwises it’s just ‘1,000 miles’ which doesn’t have the same appeal. That pressure is something I can’t imagine. 100 miles and you can’t just finish because that 10 days buckle. I hear someone has a 2,500 mile buckle. I think LOTS of the top athletes will blow up. It’s only 80 as a high (34F at the start) with mixed snow all over.  Some will go out way too fast since everyone plans for heat and no one plans for ‘ideal’ weather for this race. Even this week people still did heat training as if it would spike 20 degrees this weekend.

Im so scared. 40 miles at night with a guy I met online three years ago alone on a dirt trail where they’re offering free candy and soda. This is normal right?

VDOT 53.37 

berylrunner

Rick

Good reasons to be scared Brewing.  Have a good time.  Tell  Max we miss him here and in the Ultra group.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Im so scared. 40 miles at night with a guy I met online three years ago alone on a dirt trail where they’re offering free candy and soda. This is normal right?

So long as you don't get in the panel van you should be ok.   If you can't avoid that, then... "His name was Brewing Runner".. 

Have fun on your way to Auburn, and tell Max "hi".

RLK - I'm a big fan of the Kahtoola nanospikes myself. They've done well on the occasions there has been snow and some ice on the roads around here, but when things have gotten really nasty I've avoided seeing just how good they are by sticking to the treadmill.

My right pinky toe has been hurting a little. Not while running or walking, but if something hit the side of it or pressed "in" on the nail. Turns out I somehow had a blister underneath that toenail. Not exactly fun getting rid of, but also not as bad as I would have thought. How does this happen?? Perhaps I should blame the toenail for not growing back 100% properly after my first marathon.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: