2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mad told me he would have dropped at Michigan bluff if he didn’t know I was waiting at Foresthill with PJ.

I think we spent all of 2 minutes at No Hands. He damn near KILLED me going uphill at Highway 49. Then again after No Hands. Then again after Robbie point. Then he decides he is going to drop the hammer when we hit the track. He said he felt comfortable when we had about a 30 minute cushion. The In/Out at Auburn Lake Trails was FAST because we were only 10 minutes ahead of their scheduled 30 hour finish (max said these can be deceivingly fast) but it’s dont. Oh and I need a new watch if I’m going past 38 miles which means I won’t need to go past 26.2 for good measure any time soon. Like ever again. I got home 10 minutes ago and left like 26 hours ago.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Brew - you sound a bit delirious.  Congrats to you and Smax!

I took 2 weeks off (to rest the calf strain and then a trip to Ireland), and got back to business this week:

M: 8 easy + weights

T: spin

W: 10 easy

Th: 10 with tempo 5@7:50  (yes, you read that right...)

F: 7 easy

S: 7 easy + weights

S: 5 easy

total = 47

The pride parade is going right past our apt and is LOUD.... thumping disco and hovering helicopters for the past 11hrs now.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Chiming in with congrats to Smax (and Brew, and PJ, and anyone else who engaged in the insanity).  Ilana - that chart is great.

Rovatti - training where you are is the quickest way to get to where you want to be.

My week: 28 miles, 28 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
        M: 8 "miles" of pool-running
        T: yoga, 2 "miles" pool-running, and 1500 yards swimming.
        W: yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running
        Th: Upper body weights, core, and 9 "miles" pool-running
        F: 8 miles very easy (9:05) and some drills
        Sa: 10 miles, including 8 short hill repeats (60-70 seconds up; ~2:30 back down). Also injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming
        Su: 10 miles easy (8:59) plus drills, strides, and upper body strength/core

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - you sound a bit delirious.  Congrats to you and Smax!

Max got to be the delirious one. I had to stay focused and keep track of time and stuff. I also had to do photography and pose for photos with Hal Kroener while max snacked then tried his best to drop me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk I see your boy C MONEY is officially done (according to his strava) with the 100 milers. Maybe he will move back to the bay area and can show up to group runs again.

There is quite a bit of truth to this. The only part it's missing is "treating them like a 7 year old" which pretty much sums up the entire experience.

Technically, 20 minute miles wouldn't make it for a buckle at Western. You'd hit the track at 30 hours which no one did this year.

Congratulations to Smax and Brewcrew!

Meanwhile, CK will be happy to know that I saw two deer on this morning's run and did three strides, adding one for Friday's deer so it wouldn't feel bad.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - Congrats! Here's hoping you're still lurking and will give us a RR.

Brew - Way to go! Pacing RR??

Ilana - Hooray for deer strides! That's a funny little pie chart, I like it.

OMR - Nice week as well.

Ran into some major watch issues (complete crashes) during my LR, which was a first. Also ran into some GI cramping that turned to really bad gas pains a few miles later. The odd thing being that it only hurt while running. I felt pretty puny about it knowing that Max and Brew were out there doing much more at the same time, but I still had DW come pick me up ~2.5 miles early. For some reason LRs have been kicking my arse lately. Doing 11-12mi+ during a workout without water isn't an issue at all, but for some reason I start out on an easy Saturday LR (carrying water) and I'm feeling it by mile 7-8.
              Took the kiddos to a drive-in movie (Secret Life of Pets 2) Saturday night, which was fun. Hot and humid, but fun. The movie of course started at dusk (9:20), so coupled with the 45 minute drive back from the theater it was a much later night than any of us are used to.
              Sleep felt far better than usual this morning, so I don't feel bad at all about skipping a run this morning. I'll just do the workout tomorrow.

Monday, Jun 24, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 30, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
              Mon 12.1 7:34 8x 1k in the best weather I'll see all week 149 (76%) strava
              Tue 10.3 8:02 2 red-tailed hawks, 1 Mississippi kite, 1 red-headed woodpecker, & 1 small ornate box turtle 147 (75%) strava
              Wed 11.5 8:23 3 blue herons, 2 cottontail rabbits, 1 Mississippi kite, and 1 great horned owl 140 (71%) strava
              Thu 11.2 7:47 5 miles at M effort, 2 oblivious coyotes, 1 hawk, 1 heron, & 1 tiny nope rope 149 (76%) strava
              Fri 10.4 8:23 1 rabbit, 1 hawk, and 1 tarantula 140 (71%) strava
              Sat 12.6 8:30 4 bluegill, 3 hawks, 1 rabbit, & some new road 146 (74%) strava
                68.1 8:06

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm sure max will drop in to congratulate me on avoiding his attempts to murder me and share his race report. He MIGHT be awake at this point. No guarantee. Reference point. I'd check back in a three to five business weeks.

I am debating a RR for pacing. I mean...on one side it would be good to document it if I ever get asked to participate in an ultra marathon ever again. On the other side it DOES make for a good read and it's probably the only time I've been up for....7 am, pm, am, noon...about 29 hours. I was just shy of completing the entire race. SO CLOSE.

Surprisingly I had no stomach issues until I tried a Turkey sandwich around Pointed Rocks. Why aren't you carrying water on long runs? Are you going to run a marathon without water? Practice like you play. Train like you race. It's getting hotter and if you can't drink and run it's going to get worse. Plus everyone likes buying running stuff, right? How was the movie? I was let down by the first one.

Max - Congrats! Here's hoping you're still lurking and will give us a RR.

Brew - Way to go! Pacing RR??

Ilana - Hooray for deer strides! That's a funny little pie chart, I like it.

OMR - Nice week as well.

Ran into some major watch issues (complete crashes) during my LR, which was a first. Also ran into some GI cramping that turned to really bad gas pains a few miles later. The odd thing being that it only hurt while running. I felt pretty puny about it knowing that Max and Brew were out there doing much more at the same time, but I still had DW come pick me up ~2.5 miles early. For some reason LRs have been kicking my arse lately. Doing 11-12mi+ during a workout without water isn't an issue at all, but for some reason I start out on an easy Saturday LR (carrying water) and I'm feeling it by mile 7-8.
                Took the kiddos to a drive-in movie (Secret Life of Pets 2) Saturday night, which was fun. Hot and humid, but fun. The movie of course started at dusk (9:20), so coupled with the 45 minute drive back from the theater it was a much later night than any of us are used to.
                Sleep felt far better than usual this morning, so I don't feel bad at all about skipping a run this morning. I'll just do the workout tomorrow.

Monday, Jun 24, 2019 thru Sunday, Jun 30, 2019

Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                Mon 12.1 7:34 8x 1k in the best weather I'll see all week 149 (76%) strava
                Tue 10.3 8:02 2 red-tailed hawks, 1 Mississippi kite, 1 red-headed woodpecker, & 1 small ornate box turtle 147 (75%) strava
                Wed 11.5 8:23 3 blue herons, 2 cottontail rabbits, 1 Mississippi kite, and 1 great horned owl 140 (71%) strava
                Thu 11.2 7:47 5 miles at M effort, 2 oblivious coyotes, 1 hawk, 1 heron, & 1 tiny nope rope 149 (76%) strava
                Fri 10.4 8:23 1 rabbit, 1 hawk, and 1 tarantula 140 (71%) strava
                Sat 12.6 8:30 4 bluegill, 3 hawks, 1 rabbit, & some new road 146 (74%) strava

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Like you pointed out, it could be handy to reference what you did/had should you do this again. Bonus, it'll be interesting to at least some of us (me being one, of course).
                  I do carry water on my LRs, since it lets me do a single big loop or out/back rather than smaller ones. It's the weekly runs I haven't taken water on, but those runs without water have been much better than the LRs with water - even with quality mixed in.
                  I didn't care too much for the movie, and hadn't seen the first. Not really any solid plot (even for a goofy kids movie) to speak of. It just seemed like 3 small, largely unrelated stories that happened to mostly come together towards the end, and lacked built-in jokes for parents that the kids don't get. I actually spent a decent amount of time holding/walking around with DD3 until she fell asleep. Once she did I sat down and kept refreshing the tracking site for WS.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

This year was MUCH better than 2015 for tracking. I think there were 4 or 5 total check-ins for him that year. I was able to track him all 38 miles from Foresthill this year.

So mid-week runs are better without water than long runs with water. Mental? Time of day? not sleeping well or some random diet change Friday than Tuesday?

Good notes on the movie.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

The runs are at the same time of day, and conditions were more or less the same - including diet. Mental is about the only thing I could think of, but I don't know what that issue may be. It's not like there's any pressure on those runs.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Brew - I know you're a man of few words, but you've got to put together a WS pacing RR!

pepperjack

pie man

I was debating a impromptu spectator/crew report.

Finally got to meet Brew.  Funny enough it was probably past 8 and everyone else I was bothering had left for the finish.  I was also at least 6 pbrs and one can of Pinot Grigio deep at the point (full disclosure I was at forest hill from 1).

When i wandered down to robie point past midnight they were saying something about not getting updates from no hands so I think that was a constant the whole time.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

PJ - I'd vote for a spectator/crew report!

After just one extra day off it was nice to put in a harder effort this morning - a fartlek with some threshold, M-effort, and a long (~1.4mi), almost maximal effort up a hill as a fitness tester. Was pleasantly surprised to tie my all-time fastest time up that hill (I set a 1 mi Strava segment to help track this) despite the extra effort before that segment began. I'm looking forward to trying to beat my goal time on that segment (sub 6 minutes) later on this year - currently I'm 15 seconds from that goal.

This morning I had an email waiting for me about the Hot Chocolate 15k/5k coming to OKC this October, and soon after a request for pacers for said race. That doesn't seem to interfere with anything I have planned right now, and pacing sounds fun so I put my hat in the ring for it.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I would also like a pacing race report.  And...I do think it's really helpful to write down lessons learned while they are fresh, because you forget them sooner than you think.

This morning I had an email waiting for me about the Hot Chocolate 15k/5k coming to OKC this October, and soon after a request for pacers for said race. That doesn't seem to interfere with anything I have planned right now, and pacing sounds fun so I put my hat in the ring for it.

Is this the Hot Chocolate series run by RAM racing?  If so, you should read my race report from when they came to DC.

http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2011/12/race-report-hot-chocolate-15k-december.html

(after this race, RAM racing was reportedly banned from the DC area - no more races for them here)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

rovatti:  Funny.

Brew:  +1 to writing a WS Pacing Report.

pj:  Hmm...a PBR/PG report?  Or a "here is what it was like meeting Brew" report?

Keen:  I am jealous of your weeks, but at least I am starting to feel as though I am making progress.

I am debating on signing up for the Door County Fall 50 Road Race in October.