2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

...i drive home alone because I forgot shoes.

/pityparty

WHAT?!!!!!???!?!?! You could have acquired new shoes buy chose to DRIVE home? SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. I bet you were seriously disappointed/sad at that time. Other than forgetting shoes was it all good? Santa Cruz weather isn't much different than your local weather so I assume it was nice...but not 90F.

kcam 13:30 was what max and I were running at the end of June so while it sounds slow it really isn't.  Did you get any photos with Mike? I think anyone in the "older" age groups still beating up on the "kids" my age (and younger) are some kind of amazing. It's a long term goal of mine to be that badass. I don't think I'll be Mike Pigg badass but maybe "locally recognized by the people behind me" badass.

dwave good to know the measurement is a "difference in " type of measurement. I'll have to remember that should I need such a test. I'm sure it's coming sooner than I'd expect.

ace Dude! I'm heading down towards San Bernardino area. I know you were around that area a few (7?) months ago.  Any suggestions of places to run? There was an ultra there last weekend I should have signed up for (becuase I'm stupid and need more stories in my life) but I was thinking about you when I looked at the area on Google Maps. Weren't you around San Jacinto? I'll be in Yucaipa, and I might actually melt.

I don't know how to find out who runs the mile really quickly. I carry my keys on me when I run. The jingle becomes rhythmic like the pitter patter of little feet, someone dragging their right foot every step (CIM 2016), or someone holding a Bluetooth speaker at mile 13-14 of a marathon playing whatever music they think is appropriate for their run with absolutely no consideration for anyone else around them because they just started their 6-13 mile race (CIM 2015). I find there is more important sheet to worry about on a run...like passing out from heat stroke, or staying on pace. Maybe I'm just being an "Eeyore" these days car\ing less about other people doing things and more about what I'm doing.

I acquired a "new" watch today thanks to Amazon Prime Day (sorry keen). Should be here Wednesday. Same watch as before and this cost me about the same as replacing the broken screen/face cover on mine. I considered upgrading to a newer model but this does more than I need it to, I'd HOPE to get a second charger ("watch only" might actually mean what it says) and I know how it works. Plus the battery life exceeds the 11 hours it was rated (almost 12 at States) so with two MAYBE I'll be able to do an ultra marathon without getting faster.

Oh and I was told what I wore to work was not the "preferred" attire even though we have no official dress code policy. Apparently rules are more stringent than going off what someone personally feels which you find out AFTER you do something they dislike. I need more running in my life. At least I was productive this weekend and used my "running" headlamp from Western States to do truck maintenance before a big 8-10 hour drive with the family. It's like a prequel to a "Let's go to Disneyland" trip I'll have to make in a few years.

My Week:

M: 6.6 easy

Tu: 4.6 (high heart rate. probably caffeine and a lack of water)

W: 7.8

Th: 7.6

Fri: too hot and lazy

Sa: 8 hours of car part replacement

Su: I don't even remember. Oh and I put baby clothes in the attic

26.6 miles. 133 behind the 2019 goal. CIM base building needs to become a thing. Training starts in like 2 months I think. Gotta look good to meet Jmac and others coming to town.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ha i appreciate the brain-lapse sympathy, all. BF ended up doing what was supposed to be a really nice ride ... except that part of the route he made on strava ended up being gated off as it was a private road (wtf), so he rode up a 2000ft mtn to reach a locked gate. and it was very hot so he ran out of water multiple times (and apparently tiptoed into a winery full of fancy people doing tastings to ask them for a water refill - i'm envisioning that and laughing). and then he juuuust missed an express train home from ~40mi south of SF, so he waited 20 minutes to take a train that took 25 minutes longer. so in the end I'm not too sad that I missed it Wink

I am trying to come back from my few-weeks-long running break and it does not feel good! Bleh. last week:

M- 4.13@8:06

T- off

W- 4.36@8:23

Th- 7.04@8:18

F- 3.72@8:22 incl 500 calories of pastries Big grin

Sa- 5.83@8:13 incl strides and prehab

Su- 8 very hilly@8:38

= 33mi.

Signed up (forever ago) for a 6mi race next Sunday. This will very much be a tempo or a workout or something. If I get top-100 (last year this was 6:52 pace) I get a pretty nice Rabbit half-zip jacket...

kcam- right! I've actually never MTBed, but even riding up a legit climb not clipped in would feel extremely weird. And I need all the efficiencies I can get when I ride with BF, ha.

brew- ya it was super fun and relaxing and beautiful anyway. Actually was pretty hot there, probably around 90, since there wasn't any fog

dwave- i carry keys too. either in a zip shorts pocket or in my hand (ha). even during track workouts. totally agree with you, i am paranoid about stuff being taken no matter where i am.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I acquired a "new" watch today thanks to Amazon Prime Day

That's how I got my current watch, the Garmin Fenix 3 HR. Looks like the Fenix 5 is on sale, as well as a lot of other sports watches/GPSes/fitness trackers.  See https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/07/amazon-prime-day-2019-sports-tech-deal-tracker.html for the skinny.

My toe is still keeping me from running but I managed a decent mtb ride today (still hurt though).

kcam

Brew - I didn't get a photo with him.  I thought about it but he was already besieged by triathlon people trying to get a photo I didn't want to add to it.  He seemed to be totally cool with it.  13:30 isn't slow ... I was really moving and doing the whole race-walk thing to get that pace without running.  I was trying to stay with a few of the slower runners on the run part of the course, but of course, I hadn't already swam and biked as they had!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rovatti - Those treadmill repeats look rather brutal.

KCam - That's a pretty good pace for "just" power walking.

DWave - Nice week.

OMR - Nice week as well. Good luck on the DCF50 and training.

A nothing of a week from me, relatively speaking. ~12.5 easy Monday, but no more runs until a 4.3mi trail run Sunday due to family stuff (vacation, etc). The trail run was fun - I wish I could do that more often, or find some non-ultra trail races to jump into around here.

Back to the grind this week, though, and I had a pretty good start. I somehow did something stupid with my watch this morning that left me without any feedback at all once I started above easy effort. No power, pace, HR, nothing. Not even distance outside of when an auto-lap would trigger (review screen just showing lap HR and total e-gain). Upon review, I somehow or another nailed it - power was just right, and GAP was just right there as well (a bit slow when looking at just the pace, but I'm quite happy with it given the temp/DP). Executing the run (basically hill repeats at M effort) as well as I did well just off of feel (DWave style!) is oddly satisfying.

If all goes according to plan I'll run every day this week, including a group run Sunday, which should be a nice change in pace.

Just signed up for the Dallas Running Club HM on Nov. 3, and I did end up getting a 7 min/mi pacing slot for that 15k in late October as well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen maybe you should figure out what you did so you can try it in a race. Sounds like some secret feature you unlocked.

rlk 90 in Santa Cruz ?!?!?!?! HOLY SATANS BUTTHOLE! NO! My weekend should be around those temps. I'm probably going to melt. Glad you had a good weekend.

kcam Ah. I didn't think about the flocks of other people asking for photos. I guess that's like me asking the elites at States for photos and at some point realizing they probably just want to relax and recover from their race...even though it's been 12+ hours since they finished.

ilana thanks for the link. Prime Day is dangerouns when they sell running stuff and work just stuffed my HSA with money.

dwave you still doing good with the diet not causing any more flare ups? No races have mentioned it so I assume the Chipotle meals are still working and it, like the humidity/pollen/heart rate race was a fluke/random/wtf moment in life.

OMR DCF 50? I can't find any info on that one.

Blood test results back from yesterday. Cholesterol is the lowest it has been since I started testing (2015) and lower than when I thought I was in my best running shape (CIM 2016 3:13) which, after looking at the data, seems to be the worst year.

Total: 165 (Peak 229)

HDL 56  (Peak 69)

LDL 105 (Peak 142

Triglycerides: 37 (Peak 91)

Oddly my Lymphocytes are the highest they've ever been (usually around 50%) at 58.8% so maybe max realy DID try to kill me and my body was prepared for his attempts. Oh and my Hemoglobin and Hematocrit are in the normal range so I have NO clue why my heart rate spiked to 180+ for Mt. Charleston or why I had that numb feeling in my face after States...other than it makes for good stories. Maybe I should make another attempted at a sub 3:05 this year and see if I get a more epic ending to my story.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- well, the night before CIM 2017 BF said to me "if you don't pass out, you didn't run hard enough." jokingly. and then I passed out at mile 26.3. so maybe that should be your next trick! ha ha, just kidding.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Nice cholesterol ratio. Are you eating kind of a low carb/high fat diet? Triglycerides are super-low. Not a bad thing.
                  If I unlocked some secret feature I totally missed the notification. I have been paying a lot of attention to how different efforts "feel", so I guess it has payed off some.
                  DCF50

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

OMR

Brew:  If you’re looking for more cholesterol, I might have some you can borrow.  Last time I had it checked was right before my knee surgery, so after four months of no exercise while eating as though I ran 80mpw.  It was high enough that they would have given me a prescription for it, but I told them I’d run it off and get re-checked later.  (Should probably do that sometime...) I see Keen has already posted a link for the DCF50.  I’ve run it twice before.  The first was a DNF due to a cold rain coming off of Green Bay that quickly dropped my core temp to something less than ideal with nothing more than a singlet on my upper half, and crampy legs.  The second was a pretty good run, with peak fall colors and close to ideal weather.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cholesterol - mine is always amusing - I technically have high cholesterol, but that's just because my good cholesterol is freakishly high - my HDL was 115 last time it was checked - and that's actually on the low side for me (I usually get a little asterisk besides that #, saying that they've double checked it and it's not an error)

So....I have a total cholesterol over 200, and that sets off flags sometimes, and my doctors have told me it's actually nothing to worry about.

Of course, recent Googling now indicates that very high HDL might be something to worry about, but since that's Google and not my doctors, I'm going to take that with massive salt.

Brew - thanks for asking about the GI issues.  Short answer is yes, everything's been fine.  GI-wise I'm pretty much in the same place I was before the March issues - perhaps a bit better.    I started medication back in May to control stuff, but now I'm tapering off of it - the medication is honestly really inconvenient to take, and gives me mild but continuous nausea, so I'm not sorry to be off of it.  If staying on it long term meant that I could broaden my diet and eat nuts, gluten, cheese, etc, then I might stay on it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Interesting thing - tapering off of the medication means taking it every other night for a few weeks.  And...I've noted that when I go to the gym and lift, I perform significantly worse on the mornings after I take the med, as compared to those where I don't.  I hadn't noted a sharp distinction when running, but running is also a less controlled experiment - my paces will vary a lot based on the weather that morning.

I'm hoping I can stay off the meds, and if I can do so, I'm interested to see whether there will be any difference in my race performances.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kcam

Cholesterol?!  My cholesterol levels are almost identical to what Brew reported above and always have been.  Still, had clogged arteries.  I am taking a statin now.  I wonder what the cholesterol levels will be at next measurement ...  Stay healthy folks.

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- well, the night before CIM 2017 BF said to me "if you don't pass out, you didn't run hard enough." jokingly. and then I passed out at mile 26.3. so maybe that should be your next trick! ha ha, just kidding.

I’d be willing to do this if it puts me IN the East Coast April Parade 2021. Every marathon finish gets progressively more dramatic. Plus...stories. Ultras just don’t have that nail biting finish like a solid 2:55:59 warm up at 7:00/mi pace.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cholesterol?!  My cholesterol levels are almost identical to what Brew reported above and always have been.  Still, had clogged arteries.  I am taking a statin now.  I wonder what the cholesterol levels will be at next measurement ...  Stay healthy folks.

As my grandpa says...”You know what I like about you? NUTHIN!”

thanks for the reminder I’ll  be on medications. Can I please wait until I actually run Boston? Can I maybe sell my soul to the pharmaceutical companies (#GNE) for a shortcut? Kind of like rock and roll but less interesting.

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

As my grandpa says...”You know what I like about you? NUTHIN!”

thanks for the reminder I’ll  be on medications. Can I please wait until I actually run Boston? Can I maybe sell my soul to the pharmaceutical companies (#GNE) for a shortcut? Kind of like rock and roll but less interesting.

Lol! Does your grandpa or his relatives have a history of heart disease?  I'm finding that your choice of parents apparently can mean as much or more than cholesterol levels, blood pressure, excercise etc.  🤕

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- lol having done the april parade and the cardiologist visits that followed said marathon finish ... not really worth it Wink

alright, everyone is talking about cholesterol so i checked my bloodwork spreadsheet for the last time i got a lipid panel. here are numbers, anyone want to translate?

Cholesterol 1/23/2018 153
                                Triglyceride 1/23/2018 88
                                HDL 1/23/2018 90
                                LDL (calculated) 1/23/2018 45
                                Chol:HDL 1/23/2018 1.7
                                VLDL (calculated) 1/23/2018 18

_________________________________________________