2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

To each their own. I'll take my chances at dipsea (or quad dipsea...maybe that's easier) before I take my chances at Wharf to Wharf again. When they start grouping people based on their location to the race I'll make sure to avoid it. I'm sure Santa Cruz appreciates me staying out of their town so they can keep it preserved. I'd consider Mt. Marathon more serious than Wharf to Whart or B2B. It's not a race I'd tell someone to show up to if they're looking to PR.

Your banana peal will biodegrade in a landfill just fine.

- Ha, going to avoid NYCM now too? Smile

- Banana peel, incorrect. Not enough oxygen and too tightly surrounded by non-bio materials. https://www.thoughtco.com/do-biodegradable-items-really-break-down-1204144

- Mike n ike might have gelatin, which is derived from animal bones. I eat things that contain gelatin - not too nitpicky

rovatti- mary cain story is awesome!!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

- Ha, going to avoid NYCM now too? Smile

- Banana peel, incorrect. Not enough oxygen and too tightly surrounded by non-bio materials. https://www.thoughtco.com/do-biodegradable-items-really-break-down-1204144

- Mike n ike might have gelatin, which is derived from animal bones. I eat things that contain gelatin - not too nitpicky

rovatti- mary cain story is awesome!!

Probably. Way too hard to get a time qualifier, or 9 races plus volunteering. Might as well aim for Western States. At least I’m young enough to get in before I’m 55 if I start trying now.

Interesting. Anaerobic bacteria need to get on it.

No Gelatin. Had two things a coworker’s app labeled as ‘May be’

I learned sugar can have bones in it too. Also interesting.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

Lauren - I wasn't necessarily thinking of moving your marathon up, but rather of doing something a bit shorter.

Anxiety before workouts - I honestly don't get this, though I've heard of others experiencing it - I think it's because I train by effort, so there's never any "what if I don't hit my paces."  And I'm not worried about the workout hurting because I know how it's going to feel (since I run by effort, the workout always feels pretty much the same).

Which is not to say I don't get a bit of "I don't feel like working hard today" before each workout.  But that's different from nervousness.  Which, in turn, is different from fear, which I had to work through in my previous sport (equestrian - jumping horses).

It's really interesting to parse and separate the different feelings.

Ahh, gotcha! Yeah, I'll definitely be doing a couple shorter races. Might jump into a parkrun this weekend and see if I can pull off a 5k PR.

I do run by effort so you'd think that would help with the anxiety but brains are weird, lol. I also used to ride horses! Pre-show nerves were pretty similar to what I've been working through with races this spring and I never showed enough to really get over them in that context. I've just always been this way I guess.

Running Problem

Problem Child

lauren DO IT! The park run could be just what you need. 

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Reebok_Floatride_Run_Fast_Pro/descpage-RFRFP01.html

HMMM....$170 for the CheaterFly 4% (by different name) in colors I like AND my size. 

3.5 ounces. I'm not even sure I can imagine what that feels like. I'd actually be concerned with this causing more pains.

Anyone have input/experience running in a racing flat like this? I'm a little more accustomed to the 8 ounce shoes.

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/Nike_Zoom_Fly_Flyknit/descpage-NZFKMS9.html

Or do I go with what I know (Mt. Charleston Shoe) with the updated carbon plate and flyknit update?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

3K race report:

Got DFL 

There were only 5 racers, and no one really around my pace, but oh well. I thought the person in front of me had a seed time of 10:50, so I followed them perhaps a bit too closely on the first lap. I knew it was a bit too fast so I slowed on the back but still wound up with an 86 first lap. Overall splits were approximately:

41 (200m)

And my watch read 11:15, but the clock on the track read 11:05 , so I'm not sure what to believe. Guess I'll wait for the official time.

Either way, it's about what I expected - I'm not in the same shape I was in back in March. But it's understandable, given some of the total dud weeks I've been putting in. And it wasn't a total catastrophe. Good to know I can run roughly a 19:30 equivalent on some pretty bad training! Oh, and I got some blurry pics that make it look like I'm running fast Tongue

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I do run by effort so you'd think that would help with the anxiety but brains are weird, lol. I also used to ride horses! Pre-show nerves were pretty similar to what I've been working through with races this spring and I never showed enough to really get over them in that context. I've just always been this way I guess.

I got performance nerves when showing, but also fear.  When I line up for a race now, I just remember "no matter how badly this goes, the worst thing that happens is that I walk or DNF"  Smile

Brewing - I have the Reebok Run Fast Pros.  They are not similar at all to the VF.  Very bouncy, but also very thin and flexible, with fantastic traction.  Totally go ahead and give them a try - you might like them.  For me, I need a stiff shoe to run fast in, and they're just too bendy.

I've used them for track workouts, and I consistently run slower in them than I do in in my Adios 2s.

But, again, everyone is different, and some people run very vast in flexible shoes and prefer them.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - I have the Reebok Run Fast Pros.  They are not similar at all to the VF.  Very bouncy, but also very thin and flexible, with fantastic traction.  Totally go ahead and give them a try - you might like them.  For me, I need a stiff shoe to run fast in, and they're just too bendy.

I've used them for track workouts, and I consistently run slower in them than I do in in my Adios 2s.

But, again, everyone is different, and some people run very vast in flexible shoes and prefer them.

Cool. Thanks for the info on it. I ran in my Zoom Flys yesterday and I'm not sure how much I'd want a soft flexible shoe. These were pretty good for road training and didn't destroy my feet for Mt. Charleston. Plus when it says "designed for elite marathons" running 2 hours I just wonder how much it would benefit me vs training more. I think I'd want another pair of the zoom fly's so maybe I'll hold out until next payday. The 3.5 ounce weight seems paper light.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

Cool. Thanks for the info on it. I ran in my Zoom Flys yesterday and I'm not sure how much I'd want a soft flexible shoe. These were pretty good for road training and didn't destroy my feet for Mt. Charleston. Plus when it says "designed for elite marathons" running 2 hours I just wonder how much it would benefit me vs training more. I think I'd want another pair of the zoom fly's so maybe I'll hold out until next payday. The 3.5 ounce weight seems paper light.

FYI, Zoom Flys can be had REALLY cheap at some Nike outlets these days, depending on color. I got one pair for $22  and another for roughly $30 when I happened to stop at one during a sale.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Yeah, on that ^ note I found some zoom flys online for like $70 and when I received the boxes, they had clearance-looking price stickers on them that said $40!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Try vaporflys and you won't want zoomflys.   That is amazingly cheap though...

Speed Surplus

Try vaporflys and you won't want zoomflys.   That is amazingly cheap though...

I'm waiting for the clearance prices on the old(ish) ones now that the Next% or whatever is out. At the same place I found the Zoom Flys for $22, they had a pair of Vapors that were CLEARLY slightly used and returned... listed at $249 

I asked if they'd sell 'em for less than that, given the obvious wrinkles in the foam, and they said nope! 

Kind of bummed that all I can ever find are the flyknit variety, though. I prefer a traditional upper.

Running Problem

Problem Child

FYI, Zoom Flys can be had REALLY cheap at some Nike outlets these days, depending on color. I got one pair for $22  and another for roughly $30 when I happened to stop at one during a sale.

wait....you found $30 running shoes??!?!?! Where is this mythological place and what is it called?  Size 10.5 color doesn't matter. I'll vemo (young kid speak for paypal)/paypal/wire/mail you money for some $30 vaporfly4% elite shoe. WAY better than $100.

rlk damn that blows.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

wait....you found $30 running shoes??!?!?! Where is this mythological place and what is it called?  Size 10.5 color doesn't matter. I'll vemo (young kid speak for paypal)/paypal/wire/mail you money for some $30 vaporfly4% elite shoe. WAY better than $100.

rlk damn that blows.

Unfortunately, it's the Zoom Flys that were so cheap.

If you do actually want a cheap pair of Zoom Flys, I'll take a look next time I drive there... might be as early as next weekend!

Edit: It's the Nike Clearance store in Centralia, WA

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’ll take zoom flys for $20-30. 10.5. Worked for Mt Charleston. Might as well stick with what I know for See I Am.  Figure out payment options later. If you want my cell number I can give it to you.

Worshingtin you say...I know a guy who runs trails up there sometimes.

Unfortunately, it's the Zoom Flys that were so cheap.

If you do actually want a cheap pair of Zoom Flys, I'll take a look next time I drive there... might be as early as next weekend!

VDOT 53.37 

Do you know if the Nikes sold in outlet malls are standard quality?   (I don't know...)