2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Clever - Congrats! I thought DFL was just a badge of honor in ultras, I didn't know it extended to 3ks as well!
    In all seriousness, well done and nice pacing. That type of shorter race is just well outside my comfort zone.

Nike shoes - I saw the VF 4% go on sale at one place (jackrabbit, I think) a month or so ago. Not many sizes left by the time I looked into it.
    There is a Nike outlet in OKC - perhaps I could check into shoes for someone.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Do you know if the Nikes sold in outlet malls are standard quality?   (I don't know...)

As someone who got a BAD pair of Vaporfly Next% two weeks ago, I would take care here.  My hunch is that the pair that I sent back might now be sitting in an outlet.

(though both shoes were marked as size 6, the right shoe was very obviously smaller when you held the pair together.  And the left shoe just felt awful on my foot, like it wasn't foot shaped)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

Do you know if the Nikes sold in outlet malls are standard quality?   (I don't know...)

I can't tell a difference. I know that some stores simply don't carry the higher end models (like Fred Meyer). But I have to think the Zoom Fly at the clearance place is the same as anywhere else.

...I do have 5 pairs of them now (2 from Nike Employee store, 1 online, 2 from clearance) so I should be able to tell if they were different!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Speed Surplus

I’ll take zoom flys for $20-30. 10.5. Worked for Mt Charleston. Might as well stick with what I know for See I Am.  Figure out payment options later. If you want my cell number I can give it to you.

Worshingtin you say...I know a guy who runs trails up there sometimes.

OK, I'll either be stopping by there on the 9th or 11th. I'll let you know if I find anything in your size for cheap!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

mattw4jc

OK, I'll either be stopping by there on the 9th or 11th. I'll let you know if I find anything in your size for cheap!

Hey Pusher Man - I need a hit on them dope FlyKnits. Can you hook me up bro?!

(jk, not actually wanting shoes)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

rovatti- i'm pretty certain yes. I've seen things marked "as is" and that's how you know they're not the same quality. But "outlet malls" these days aren't really that anymore, it's just surplus or stuff made specifically for the outlet stores. (gap does that.)

they have dimensional specifications and they measure these things. if the shoe does not pass, it shouldn't be sold  or it should be sold "as is". it sounds like dwave may have gotten really unlucky with an oversight.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

If you see any W 8.5 zoom flys ... let me know Big grin

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Looks like this group got a little more team-like. We will all have matching shoes. Who has a deal on shirts?

dwavfor the price of the shoes I’m a LOT bit surprised they were as bad as you say. Ever had anything like that with the Adios?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

kcam

I ran 16 miles this week.  3 runs including a 7 miler this morning.  All at ~9min/mile pace, felt great.  I haven't yet gotten the go-ahead to run from the cardiologist but I gotta run!  My hip is probably 90% healed up and doesn't bother me in running.  I see the cardio in a few days, fingers crossed that I get the 'all clear'!

I visited the Nike outlet near my house yesterday (since yall were talking up the sale on the Zoom VF) but saw nothing there. For $30 I'd definitely try a pair but not for $200.  I'm a cheapskate.

kcam - It's great to see you running!!  Hopefully you'll get the official green light.  (Do stents need time to "settle"?  I dunno...)

my week:

M: 10 with intervals on the TM: 5x(4min@3k effort, 3min@9:00)

T: weights

W: 11 easy

Th: 10 with tempo in the park: 2x5k@7:15

F: 3 easy + swim

S: 12 easy

S: 8 easy

total = 54

So I ran 222 miles in July!  That's my 1st time over 200 (aka "the Mendoza line") in 2 years.

OMR

kcam:  Sounds like good news...hope you get the official all clear!

rovatti:  Congrats on getting above 200 again.  July was also my first month above 200 in a quite a while...maybe things are looking up for us old farts.

My week:

M:  8.4 @ 8:34

T:  8.3 w/15 x 1min hard, 1min recovery

W:  8.1 @ 8:39

T:  Rest

F:  8.6 @ 8:40

S:  16 @ 8:48

S:  5.1 @ 8:43

Total:  54.5.

From the Internet.

No parkrun for me this weekend - husband had old dad soccer and the kid is juuust slightly too young to be home alone while I traipse off to races, lol. Would've screwed up my long run schedule anyway so it's fine. There is a possibility of a 5K next weekend while I'm up visiting my parents in Maine, just have to see what coach thinks - it'll be either a hilly 10-12 miler or the 5k with long wu/cd for me that day. Falmouth the following weekend but the weather there may be less forgiving.

Another solid week, 70 miles:

M - 7ish easy

T - 10.5/90 min easy

W - club track, 1600, 1200/400, 800/800, 1600; 6:23, 4:45/90, 3:10/3:06, 6:19 with a massive negative split because I went out way slow, lol.

Th - 7+ easy AM, 3.5 easy PM

F - HILLZ. Oof. 10 miles with a bunch of hills.

S - 7ish easy

Su - 17.1 long, with a great group for a good chunk of the middle miles. Makes it go by so much faster! 8:04 average, 2 gels and a fuckton of water. Slowed a bit toward the end when I got sloshy from the water, picked it up for the last mile-plus. Legs felt great though.

On to the next week!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

KCam - Great that you're out there running some, and here's hoping for good news from the cardio.

Rovatti - Nice week, and good job getting well over 200 again.

OMR - Good week as well, and congrats on getting the monthly mileage up there again.

Lauren - Really nice week. Maine should have improved weather for a 5k over your home area, right?

Brew - 20 mile RR incoming? A copy of Grumpy Bruce showed up at my house yesterday. DD3 LOVES it. We probably read it at least six times yesterday afternoon. It's right up there with Goodnight, Gorilla and Pooh Loves.

The local running club has started their group LRs aimed at training for the Route 66 Marathon (Tulsa), so I dropped by for a little social interaction. In general the first group runs tend to be smaller than the later ones, and the training groups in the fall also tend to be smaller than spring (OKC Memorial is a big target race that drives this), but the group was really big - 200 or so, with lots of new people. I only saw one person I knew, and couldn't find anyone else who was planning on running ~15, so my "group" run ended up being mostly solo anyway. It was nice having the water stops, though!

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Jul 29, 2019 thru Sunday, Aug 04, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                            Mon 12.7 7:52 8x 1k @ CP 157 (80%) strava
                            Tue 11.9 8:15 2 rabbits & 1 hawk 143 (73%) strava
                            Wed 11.3 8:30 1 hawk 142 (72%) strava
                            Thu 12.9 8:06 12x 1/4mi R 157 (80%) strava
                            Fri 11.5 8:20 2 herons, 1 hawk, and not enough rain to cool me down 137 (70%) strava
                            Sat 15.1 8:03 First Landrunners run in a long time 140 (71%) strava
                              75.4 8:09      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

lauren 5K. Check out the current status of things. Plus medals. I'm sort of looking forward to the time when NeRP is old enough to leave home alone but I'm sure I'll miss him being around making everything take longer by then.

keen I considered it but it's uneventful, other than "shotgunning" a Hoppy Trails GU and chasing it with a Coke at the summit which lead to a few miles of stomach pains, going off course for a photo op (visible on Strava), lolly gagging at aid stations with local runners I haven't seen outside of social media, making a new Strava buddy who has only run for 8 months and "was in town and found the race", and a VERY SHEETY low point doing the last climb. Had I not lolly gagged (and trained) I might have actually broken 4:30. Goal was sub 5. Earned a wide blister between my heel and arch from bombing down 2-3 miles of downhill at 7:30 pace thinking "how did I go faster for Mt. Charlest? HOW DID THE WINNER GO FASTER THAN THIS?!?!" and some SORE legs/calves that still linger today. Good thing it wasn't a race and I didn't bring my trekking poles. The last climb made me think of max and wonder how HE climbed out of Robie Point. I wanted to turn around and shortcut to the finish. I beat my friend (did it last year, during a fire that covered the area in smoke and people quit) by 43 seconds or so. Mostly a casual run with the Birthday Boy. I didn't know it was his birthday or else I'd have had a Birthday Cake GU for him at the top. I think he enjoyed the trail run atmosphere more than any road race. Probably the easier effort overall even with the longer duration. It's his longest run to date I believe.

200 people and not a single one to train with? wow! My group runs are probably 20 or less unless there is a race entry giveaway.

kcam good to hear it's (possible) going well.

outlets Gilroy and Tracy have them. I always thought it was the stuff they couldn't sell as new for various reasons (logos crooked, threads hanging out, manf. defects) because FOX racing previously held a parking lot sale for their manf. defects. Similar to the $33 Nike sale on Vaporflys. People slept in line. Imagine getting a head to toe outfit for running for $100. Headband/visor, glasses, headphone/earbuds, gloves, jackets, shirts, pants/tightes, shorts, socks and shoes....kind of a big deal. Now...Outlets just seem like an "outdoor/air mall" that people hate if they live anywhere with weather. They (outdoor malls) are stupid if it rains, gets too hot or cold, has a breeze above 4mph, or "requires" driving because the shuttle is too slow and walking is a stupid thing unless you're inside a building. I just shop online and send online friends out to the stores for me. 

Earned a pint glass (not a Kleen Kanteen...kind of sad to not have a pair) Saturday, a S-Biner bottle opener, an some stickers. It was probably a bad idea to climb 5,400+ ft in 12ish miles going into CIM training. Calves are sore, legs are sore, and I might take another day off running. After doing some 800s I'm even wondering if I'm capable at this point to hit a 3:20 at CIM which is NO WHERE I expected to be after missing it by 20 or so seconds (checking official chip time...22 seconds). This should be fun.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwavfor the price of the shoes I’m a LOT bit surprised they were as bad as you say. Ever had anything like that with the Adios?

Nope, though almost a decade ago I had a manufacturing error with another pair of Adidas shoes (pre-Adios) - big chunk of plastic on the inside of one shoe's heel.

BTW, I got a second pair of the Next% and they were fine, so it was just that pair.   My concern, however, is that it's shoes like that which get returned and then eventually end up at the outlet.

Kcam - great to have you back!

Rovatti - thumbs up on the mileage, and a nice looking week.

OMR - good week from you as well, with nice balance.

Lauren - a lot of good work there.

CK - wow - 200 people for a run is a LOT.

Brewing - remember, you don't need to be in shape to run fast at CIM now; you need to be fit in December.  Being too fit right now would be a bad thing.

Jumped into a 5K yesterday - ran 19:05 for second female.  I let it come down to a kick, and then got destroyed.  Oops.  Race report.

Also, my week: 48 miles, 17 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
                                M: Yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running
                                T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 6x800, 2x200 in 3:01, 2:58, 2:56, 2:55, 2:55, 2:53, 38, and 38 (recoveries of 2:20-2:3x between the 800s. Full recovery for 200s.
                                W: 7 miles very easy (9:08), drills, strides, upper body weights/core, and 3 miles moderate (8:17)
                                Th: DIY yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                                F: 8 miles, with one mile uptempo (6:16)
                                Sa: 4 miles very easy (8:34), plus drills and two hill strides, then DIY yoga.
                                Su: 4 mile warm-up; 5K race in 19:05 (6:11/6:07/6:47 for last 1.11), 3 mile cooldown. Much later did a 4 mile shakeout (8:40) and then 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.