2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Speed Surplus

rlk - Do you actually want a pair? What's the most you want to spend?

brew - Likewise, what's your top dollar? $30? $40?

darkwave - went home devastated, eh? 2nd overall and top Masters woman isn't too shabby. I like to think I can still kick so I would have probably tried the same thing.

Keen - Big miles! What are you targeting these days?

rovatti - Also big miles! I can count the number of times I've cracked the Mendoza line on one hand.

My week:

The results of my 3k came in... official time was 11:14 which is a little disappointing after finishing with 11:05 showing on the clock. Meh.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
    Mon 3.4 7:58 0:26 Best I could cobble together with both kids at the park 126 (68%) 0 strava
    Tue 3.0 8:14 0:24 ez miles 133 (72%) 38 strava
    Tue 0.6 6:05 0:03 Spike and 3k pace test. 2:59 800 and a 35 200 for fun. 154 (84%) 0 strava
    Tue 1.1 8:54 0:09 CD 137 (74%) 95 strava
    Wed 2.0 9:11 0:18 WU 128 (70%) 0 strava
    Wed 0.3 9:18 0:02 WU spikes 137 (74%) 0 strava
    Wed 1.9 5:52 0:11 3k at Shoreline 164 (89%) 0 strava
    Thu 18.6 3:01 0:56 Nice and easy after last night's track race 122 (66%) 999 strava
    Sat 6.9 8:32 0:58 Easing back into it after a busy/weird week 140 (76%) 216 strava
    Sat 5.9 10:00 0:59 Slow one with 8 y.o. 123 (67%) 371 strava
    Sun 4.0 8:12 0:32 All I had time for 142 (77%) 116 strava
      47.7 6:24 5:05     1835

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - remember, you don't need to be in shape to run fast at CIM now; you need to be fit in December.  Being too fit right now would be a bad thing.

Being in shape now would make me feel a little more confident going into being fit for CIM. Plus I sometimes regret marathon training due to the lack of enjoyment I gain from it...I think.

They might end up there, but someone might need them because their feet are shaped weird.

Nice looking horse. I'm not a horse person in case you forgot.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew/DWave - These group runs have gotten MUCH larger since I first started running ~4 years ago. For at least the last year or so one of the biggest determining factors in where they run is locations that have massive parking lots available, which has really cut down on some of the locations they can use. They cater pretty heavily to the beginner/"run a marathon to say I've done it" crowd - the planned distance for the marathon training group's first "long run" was a whopping 6 miles. I suppose everyone starts somewhere.

DWave - I have the RR queue'd up. I was hoping it would be done by today when I saw the race on Strava.

Clever - I'm aiming for the Dallas Running Club Half (Nov 3) as my fall goal race. I'm still deciding whether I want to run the Houston marathon (Jan 19, which would mean moving immediately from the DRC half to training for the full) or the Cowtown marathon (Ft. Worth, March 1) which would give me just a bit of downtime before starting training for the full.

3 seconds difference between the clock and gun in a 3k? That seems to me to be a not-insignificant discrepancy.

Had to googol "Mendoza Line".

Does anyone have any input regarding these two races? Weather should be roughly comparable between them from what I've seen. Houston is flatter/faster, but is it enough faster/better to offset ~5 weeks less training and about double the drive time compared to Cowtown?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

SC - that's an odd time differential between the reported time and the race clock time.  Very strange.

Brewing - my philosophy is that you can't be in your best shape all the time, and being really in shape at the very beginning of your cycle means that you'll be past your prime at the end.  Problematic, since the goal is to be in your best shape on the day it matters most.

That's why I don't get too futzed if I run some relatively slow races when I'm 12 or 14 weeks out.

CK - I don't know Cowtown at all.  I do know Houston is a very very good race, and worth targeting.  (and FWIW, I'm doing the Houston half in 2020, so I can cheer for you if you run the full).

I also happen to think that racing a half marathon, and then taking a short break before swapping to a shortened marathon cycle, can work well.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

"SC - that's an odd time differential between the reported time and the race clock time.  Very strange."

Agreed, but it does match what I had on my watch, and I'm usually pretty accurate starting/stopping at just the right time, so I believe it.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

rlk - Do you actually want a pair? What's the most you want to spend?

if you are already at the store and you see them for an amazing deal, like under $40 or something, then go for it - otherwise it's not worth your effort and I don't want to burden you!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave interesting. I'd think maintaining a little better fitness, or being consistent, would put a runner at a better starting point than a kind of yo-yo approach. train hard, fun run, train hard, fun run. We shall see.

keen Dude 6 miles WAS my long run a few years ago and I wasn't even marathon training. Depending how far out the marathon is (6 months?) it could be better for a beginning runner to start with an hour (6 mile) run vs saying "Okay everyone we're doing 10 miles. It's going to be 85F outside by the time most of us finish. No aid stations so I hope you brought everything you need." I've heard people say carrying a pacing sign must suck when they're wearing a belt or backpack with water. Oh yeah, I did the whole run with just a handheld like the EDC from Ultimate direction. It can hold about 4 gels and either it was good weather (shaded) that helped me keep water until the summit (biggest fear was 6 miles without aid stations) or because I was just casually running it. Reminds me of the first half marathon I ran where I forgot water at the truck and ran the whole race with just aid at the 5K 10K hm turn around points. Really freed up running.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

kcam

Of course dwave is correct - you can't be at your best all the time.  You'll burn out physically and mentally trying to do it.  The 'cycle' approach the Pros use is proof enough.  Thing is, they do it because they need absolute peak performance for a very specific race, it's their job and it determines whether they 'get paid' or not!  For us hobbyjoggers, I don't feel it's as important or at least we (I) don't need to emphasize being at absolute peak performance on a certain race.  I never did do that and my PRs probably suffered just a bit because of it BUT I got to race a whole heckofa lot while being in pretty darn good shape, though not peak, throughout most of the year. I'm still happy I chose that approach.

rovatti - I don't think stents need time to 'settle' (although I do believe I read that tissue does grow 'into' them over time) but I went from being on no medications at all to being on a statin, BP med and two forms of blood thinner overnight!  I'm an engineer (so I don't know shiite about medical stuff but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once) and whenever you introduce a step function stimulus to any system (like my meds) there will be an overshoot / undershoot / settling response to the stimulus.  So I'm all good with waiting for that response to settle out before I start hammering again.  I've got more lab tests plus the Cardio visit so it's coming to a conclusion here soon.  I'm kinda patient so I don't mind waiting another week before going full-tilt back into it.  I tell ya, it's killing me that I can't race.  My club had one of our two yearly Mile on the Track races last Saturday.  I couldn't even bring myself to go watch 'em race so I stayed away. Sad

Running Problem

Problem Child

For some zoom flys like $50 each pair if you can find them. Tey're currently $100 for a pair on runningwarehouse with free shipping. Vaporflys...I don't really know. As Clint Black said, the shoes don't make the man. Training does.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Hey all. I still run.  Sometimes.

climbed Lassen finally.  Nice little hike up and around.  Tons of people out and even more butterflies.  All the way to the top.  Did not expect that.

Did a wait list for a 100k but I’m like 115 down so no chance.  Probably just break down and do Javelina.  But that’s later so I don’t know.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

climbed Lassen finally.  Nice little hike up and around.  Tons of people out and even more butterflies.  All the way to the top.  Did not expect that.

Did a wait list for a 100k but I’m like 115 down so no chance.  Probably just break down and do Javelina.  But that’s later so I don’t know.

Creak 2 Peak is an uphill/downhill 21 miler.

Tahoe 100k is the same weekend as Tahoe 200. I might be around to fuel you with some Red White and Blues.

Bozz Johnson has some ultra stuff too.

Ascent also has winter ‘10k’ runs if you’re looking for a race and still out here.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

woot! Lassen is so pretty. Shasta next?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Thanks for the input! Speaking of us possibly overlapping on races next year, are you still thinking about doing the Chisholm Trail half?
                            Nice RR. Basil does look quite good for his age. This reminds me that it's been too long since I've ridden a horse.

PJ - Nice climb, and it's good to know you still occasionally run.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

pepperjack

pie man

Shasta is on the list.  But my through hiker buddy is going to be in Washington state around when the timing would work, so I might try something up there instead.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

From the Internet.

Committed and signed up for the 5K this weekend! Taking a bit of an easy week after the last 4 at 65-65-70-70 miles; coach cut me off after 3000m worth of work on the track today so I'd be fresh for the race, will do an easy long-ish run tomorrow, short and easy Fri/Sat with some strides on Sat, and then gonna hammer it! There is a CASH PRIZE WHAT. Overall winner was 21:10 last year and first F was somewhere in the 22s, so I'll either walk away with a payday or some competition will come in to pull me along to a faster race - either one would be great for me!