2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - that one's on the radar, but I haven't given it that much thought yet.  I'll probably be mapping out plans for the spring in October/November.  I need to confirm that a) I'm running Botulism 2020 (a little part of me is leaning towards London 2020, if I can get in), and b) that the Chisholm Trail Half is 3 weeks out from Botulism 2020.

Lauren - good luck!

PJ - when you speak of ultras and hiking it's like a foreign language to me.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Lauren - Sound like you've found a pretty great race situation. Best of luck!

DWave - It looks like Chisholm Trail is 4 weeks before Botswana next year. I know it's early, but I'm thinking I may run Chisholm Trail pretty much no matter what next year, but my bigger plans for next spring will depend on what happens with registration for Botswana (how is that only a month away?!). I consider myself a squeaker for that, so we'll see.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk Did I read your Strava title correctly? Are you already training for CIM? I thought you usually did a 12 week program. Thanks to you I double checked the "start date" for marathon training and CIM is just 18 weeks away. I guess that explains why I think I should be doing speed work. I thought I was "ahead" of the game and training started around Labor Day Weekend. Sooooooo thanks.

dwave If you skip on 2020 and do 2021 maybe we can hang out again. Would skipping 2020 open up opportunities to do other races you've wanted to do, but haven't due to scheduled races? Also, haven't you said both times Boston is a solid "meh" and the whole "boston experience" is kind of over rated? not in a negative way, I'm just remembering Chicago being very underwhelming and more of a fun parade than (The Race I'm Extremely Biased Towards) CIM which feels more like friends and family are cheering me on, or running with me. ALso, don't you like doing a half 3 weeks out as a tune up, or is that closer to 6 weeks? I know you liked a half before a full as a tune up and race prep and you'd probably get a second Moose Mug (still majorly impressive) in London. Personally, I'd do London and start going for the 6 majors if vacation/personal life allowed time to travel and enjoy it more than a long run.

jmac have you made hotel reservations yet? Dinner plans? willing to wait for me at the finish line so we can meet up and have avocado toast? I was thinking about you when I saw the whole genome for Avocados were sequenced. Looking forward to seeing training. JD2Q or something different?

Going to the library to pick up Jack Daniels Running Formula book. I might go with something "new" for CIM. Hansons works. JD2WQ was hard and wasn't the reason I did horrible for Chicago. I might not try and do 70 MPW (maybe I will) but 60 mile weeks are coming. Sixty miles seems like so much running just to shave 23 (or more) seconds off of a PR.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

jmac have you made hotel reservations yet? Dinner plans? willing to wait for me at the finish line so we can meet up and have avocado toast? I was thinking about you when I saw the whole genome for Avocados were sequenced. Looking forward to seeing training. JD2Q or something different?

Going to the library to pick up Jack Daniels Running Formula book. I might go with something "new" for CIM. Hansons works. JD2WQ was hard and wasn't the reason I did horrible for Chicago. I might not try and do 70 MPW (maybe I will) but 60 mile weeks are coming. Sixty miles seems like so much running just to shave 23 (or more) seconds off of a PR.

Brew - Ha I have no idea what the plans are, but I will have to leave right after the race due to my flight time. I am sticking with that old bastard for this race as well. Going for the 71-85 plan this time though, I'm going for broke with this race and shooting for 2:39. I would recommend if you're going to follow him that you at least do 56-70. Every plan below that is just begging for injury with how much quality he puts into the two runs given the mileage.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave If you skip on 2020 and do 2021 maybe we can hang out again. Would skipping 2020 open up opportunities to do other races you've wanted to do, but haven't due to scheduled races? Also, haven't you said both times Boston is a solid "meh" and the whole "boston experience" is kind of over rated? not in a negative way, I'm just remembering Chicago being very underwhelming and more of a fun parade than (The Race I'm Extremely Biased Towards) CIM which feels more like friends and family are cheering me on, or running with me. ALso, don't you like doing a half 3 weeks out as a tune up, or is that closer to 6 weeks? I know you liked a half before a full as a tune up and race prep and you'd probably get a second Moose Mug (still majorly impressive) in London. Personally, I'd do London and start going for the 6 majors if vacation/personal life allowed time to travel and enjoy it more than a long run.

So....

a) yes, I like a half 3 weeks from a full.  Which is why Chisolm trail won't work now, since it's 4 weeks out.

b) Yes, I'm a bit meh on Botulism in general.  But...I _might_ have a shot of getting into the masters elite field there in 2020, since most of the top top masters runners will be doing the trials instead.  And if so, I'd love to do Botulism for that reason.

At the same time, Nimmals pointed out some time ago that I have a shot of getting into London 2020 under this WMM Age Group program - if I could do that, it's tempting, since that may be the only way I can ever get into London, short of the charity route.

So...a lot depends on how my fall marathon goes, and what, if anything, that time gets me; or alternately, what my time from CIM 2018 is good for.  Which ever marathon I do, I'll race it all out Smile

As for skipping a spring marathon to enjoy other races - that's what I did this year Smile

Brew - Ha I have no idea what the plans are, but I will have to leave right after the race due to my flight time.

Red-eye after CIM?  Wow.  I actually know a few people who did that last year, and it worked fine for all of them.  For myself, I'm a bit too worried about DVT to sit on a plane for that many hourse right after a marathon (keep in mind I have some additional risk factors for DVT that make me a bit cautious).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Not even a red-eye, I think a land at like 1 am. So I should be awake enough that I won't be asleep for 5 straight hours after not moving my legs. I just didn't want to hang around afterwards too much given I'm pretty much out of vacation days for this year and wanted to return to work the next day. Although avocado toast with brew does sound appealing.

ETA: DW go answer my question on the sub 3 thread on tapering! I'm really curious as to what your response is.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Ha I have no idea what the plans are, but I will have to leave right after the race due to my flight time. I am sticking with that old bastard for this race as well. Going for the 71-85 plan this time though, I'm going for broke with this race and shooting for 2:39. I would recommend if you're going to follow him that you at least do 56-70. Every plan below that is just begging for injury with how much quality he puts into the two runs given the mileage.

Checkers or wreckers is an EXCELLENT plan for race day. I SOLIDLY approve. Remember you have to pin it to win it too.   Sub 2:40.... Must be an early flight. 56-70 is kind of what I was going for since it's a lot of "easy/junk" miles. Plus for the past 3 I think I've hit around 55-60 average. Seems to work. 85 just seems like too much miles, and I go with the "how much TIME is spent training" to compare fast people to myself. 60 seems to fit with marathon training and fluctuates based on feel....until some piece of paper says I have to hit a specific distance for a week because it's training season.

Hmm...Maybe we can meet Saturday or something (depends on when I leave which kind of depends on weather). Before the race can be kind of hard due to darkness, the number of people, etc. I'm sure there will be more than one person with arm sleeves and a tank top (I refuse to call it a singlet). I was kind of looking forward to a group lunch with you, but I was just telling my weekday running friends how they all ditch me because I'm no fun to be around (chatty cathy). You're already ditching me before you show up. I'm sure we'll figure it out. I think handshakes or elbow rubs are good luck (superstitious) at CIM.

dwave elite field...go for it. Makes ALL the sense in the world and I'd do it even if I hated a marathon course. Can't put a price on a good time and you miss every shot you don't take.

ETA:

Although avocado toast with brew does sound appealing.

Don't leave out rlk. She should be there. I still owe her a beer for SMOKING me in a 5K.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

as the Resident Millennial, i appreciate jmac's proposal for avocado toast and i would endorse brew switching what he owes me for virtually dusting him @ 5k from beer to avo toast. excellent choice, jmac.

brew- i mean, coach likes a long buildup. I'm not really doing workouts yet, just miles. which is the way i like it. i would prefer to be even more unfocused (not have daily "plans" but more weekly mileage goals or something), but it's mainly ez runs still so it's fine. agree though, i can't focus in workout-mode for much more than 12 weeks.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

as the Resident Millennial, i appreciate jmac's proposal for avocado toast and i would endorse brew switching what he owes me for virtually dusting him @ 5k from beer to avo toast. excellent choice, jmac.

brew- i mean, coach likes a long buildup. I'm not really doing workouts yet, just miles. which is the way i like it. i would prefer to be even more unfocused (not have daily "plans" but more weekly mileage goals or something), but it's mainly ez runs still so it's fine. agree though, i can't focus in workout-mode for much more than 12 weeks.

I thought you, and McBen, liked the shorter plans. Having never tried it I guess I should do a 12 week plan at some point. Maybe when NeRP is a little older and I forget more. Sometimes just getting out of the office/bed is a workout. Know any places with "AvoToast" in the Sac/Roseville area? I mean....if wearing orange makes you faster and I've kind of stuck with that for all my marathon PRs I'm willing to add in pre-race AT to the list of things. Unsure how I'd work with this in training though since I rarely have bread at home. NeRP actually gets DOWN on avocados currently. Just like daddy (fat kid likes to eat) he's a weird goose in a family of strange ducks. Maybe the plan should be no plan and if coach says "run 8.67 miles" you round down to about 6.5ish. Maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of "I ran like 8 miles" and that's all by feel....like I feel like running 4.5 and calling it close to 8 becacuse it's more than halfway there. 

Jmac: I picked up the Bible. I forgot how stupid this training is. First workout is 12 miles of marathon pace. I think that’s about 8:30 right now. Does JD expect me to train all year or what?

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

oh yeah, Max is running Bigfoot this "weekend" so if you can't sleep...

https://www.bigfoot200.com/2019-live-tracking.html

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Maybe the Mimosa House for AT?  It’s on J street, so I think it’s actually on the course?  Mile 22 AT break?

It’s going to be weird when I actually get to run and pass Loehman’s plaza on fair oaks, not cause I used to live across from a loehman’s plaza and shop at fair oaks mall back home, but because I deliver from that Jacks all the time now.

I was super confused about the Strava comment, I was like ‘how did he know I was running at the high school track without a shirt.’

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I was super confused about the Strava comment, I was like ‘how did he know I was running at the high school track without a shirt.’

I have eyes everywhere. Actually I was just thinking back to when you had (I think) a lot more facial hair. Mustache + School Zone = police jokes. I also mentally block out the naming structure of streets after crossing the river. Mostly because I just want to see the bank, do the S curve thing then head for home. You in for CIM?

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Can I sign up 3 weeks out?  That’s how a do my marathons these days.

Might end up in Reno at some point today.  They dangled a delivery bonus and I can’t resist those.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Looking through the entry list for Bigfoot there are several other names I at least recognize. Aren't you a fan of Catra?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Looking through the entry list for Bigfoot there are several other names I at least recognize. Aren't you a fan of Catra?

I have read her book. She just did Badwater so I'm sort of expecting her to be slower than her best time. I kind of wanted to see her when I drove through, but she wouldn't have remembered, I was too late, and I don't think her crew would have appreciated it. Last year she finished in 91 hours. I might think 93 just because Badwater didn't seem to go her way according to social media posts.

PJ They have 1,000 charity spots for $275 so...maybe?

https://runsra.org/california-international-marathon/registration/

Be warned it is Hot August Nights. Big car show that is at the Grand Sierra, Peppermill, and the Atlantis. Lots of cars from the 50s and 60s parked and people driving around to look at them. At least the weather won't suck. I'd recommend Hunter Lake Trail for a 5-6 mile run with a waterfall at the turn around point.  Oh yeah, check out Revision (Rock Blvd by Baldini's) for some good IPA type beers, Beefys (TINY burger joint with good beer) for lunch, or CRAFT if you wanted to take some fancy bottles home. If you in town Saturday there is a few distances, or the Silver State Striders have their runs too. 

I might switch to Hanson's again. Wife should have one week out of town during training, twice. It's easier to do Tuesday/Thursday workouts when NeRP is at Grandma's house than a 15+ mile training run on a Wednesday and a workout on a Sunday pushing him. Plus I can get the first half of training done on lunch. I'm sure DW appreciates it, and lastly it hasn't failed me yet. Nothing against JD its just very demanding of time and I'm not willing to put in the time (wake up early, do all my training after work) for CIM knowing I'll have two weeks solo dad life where I'll probably miss training, along with more than 1 Sunday quality workout being sacrificed due to "life happening" so I'm comfortable with what I know. Tuesday/Thursday work with Saturday long and some TRX thrown in the mix. I should really start that Sunday.

VDOT 53.37