2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

My week: 37 miles. No speed. Long run of 13 Saturday morning pushing a 32 pound kid in a stroller.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brewing - that sounds awful about Max's race.

And...can't the stroller-pushing count as strenghtwork?  Like hill-training or something?

Rovatti - progress is progress.  BTW, I'm planning on being in your neck of the woods for the 5th Avenue Mile again.  It'd be really nice if they could announce the heat times, given that the race is less than a month away.

My week:56 miles, 16 "miles" of pool-running, and 2000 yards of swimming
      M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running
      T: 12.5 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 2x1200, 800, 2x200 in 6:14, 4:38, 4:33, 2:59, 41 and 40. 4:40 recovery after 1600, 2:44 and 2:39 recovery after the 1200s. Full recovery for 200s. Also light leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.
      W: 4.5 miles very easy (9:13), drills, strides, DIY yoga and core, and 5.5 miles very easy (8:57)
      Th: light upperbody weights and 7.5 "miles" pool-running.
      F: 3 miles very easy in the morning (9:00) plus some strides. In the evening, DIY yoga, 4.5 mile warm-up and then mile race in 5:35.
      Sa: 10 miles very easy (9:04); upper body weights/core.
      Su: 15 miles - 14 progressive split as first 4 averaging 8:45 pace, next 5 averaging 7:30 pace; last 5 averaging 6:41 pace, and then 1 mile jog back to car. Followed with leg strengthwork and 1000 yards recovery swimming.

Race report is here.  Basically I was leading and on track to crack 5:30 when I tripped and fell 20 feet from the finish line.  No win and no sub-5:30 for me.

At this point, I'm about 80% pissed off and about 20% amused at the whole thing.  I'm sure that those ratios will shift as time passes.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - that sounds awful about Max's race.

And...can't the stroller-pushing count as strenghtwork?  Like hill-training or something?

Yeah, almost like they should have canceled the race but I’m sure the logistics and “rain or shine” type policy (assumption) prevented doing it a different weekend. I am making a guess and assuming people were sheltered for a long time and the race was put on hold because he is still out there, and along with there only being less than 10 finishers I think they did something for runners. Sounds like a stupid game playing with lightening and freezing weather. “Let’s go do a race through Mother Nature telling us we shouldn’t. What could happen?” That time I got hypothermia.  This is another story I’m hoping he writes soon.

Yeah...I thought about it. Im sure there is a micro training benefit I’m gaining from it outside of giving my wife three hours child free on a Saturday morning.

sucks about the race.  I thought you did really well. I can imagine you were very upset. Was this a night race? I remember you doing one of those last year and talking about traveling there and back.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK - Hehe. Nice catch.

KCam - Nice that you're getting some more running in. Hopefully all the labs and the checkup go well.

Rovatti - Really nice week. Glad to hear you're doing well.

Brew - Pushing NeRP in the stroller definitely counts for strength work in my book.

DWave - RR queued up. From the preview it sounds like it'll be part tragedy, part comedy.

Max - Is crazy. At mile 146.4 and moving at 1.5mph (~17:08/mi) as of the last SPOT update. I'm really looking forward to reading about Dragon's Back, States, and Bigfoot. It'll probably make for great reading over the holidays!

Another one in the books! Had a bit of a run-in with the assistant athletic director today. I was taking a breather after having finished my workout (the last half I moved onto the track after the (American) football coaches opened up the gates. He came up flexing his assistant-AD muscles wanting me to leave - seemed very much the typical school administrator in my experience. Despite having already been told last year that I could use the track so long as the coaches were there, he said he doesn't want anyone not from the school using it because then "we'll have kids riding their bikes and skateboards all over it". SMH. So, the 5,000m time trial I have planned for Thursday will likely be done in stealth mode.
          On the other hand, today's workout felt GREAT. Challenging, but not reaching too far. Started feeling some fatigue on rep #8, certainly on 9 and 10, but was still able to hit the right effort on those and the pace was right in line with the others as well.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Aug 05, 2019 thru Sunday, Aug 11, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
          Mon 13.2 7:30 2x (5x 1k at CP) 1 minute recovery between intervals, 8 minutes between the sets 149 (76%) strava
          Tue 11.1 8:26 4 hawks, one scissor-tailed flycatcher, and lots of deer tracks on the road 139 (71%) strava
          Wed 10.9 8:38 1 shooting star (!), 2 badgers (!), 1 hawk, and 1 raccoon 147 (75%) strava
          Thu 11.1 7:59 1x 5 min, 3x 3 min @ ~5k effort 153 (78%) strava
          Fri 10.1 8:08 One big thunderstorm and a few short power outages - Innsbruck 142 (72%) strava
          Sat 14.3 8:28 No wildlife of note. Sad story. 139 (71%) strava
            70.7 8:10      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Speed Surplus

Quick check-in:

RLK and Brew - Due to traffic, I took a different route that didn't pass by the Nike clearance store. Sorry!

I think I'm going to do a trail race this weekend just for fun. 10m or half marathon. We'll see...

My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
            Mon 5.1 7:48 0:39 Too hot to run slow 146 (79%) 150 strava
            Tue 6.1 10:10 1:02 Recovery trails with Morg 124 (67%) 314 strava
            Wed 7.7 8:15 1:03 Threw in some progression to try to catch Morg 141 (77%) 371 strava
            Thu 7.0 8:18 0:58 Just some easy loops 137 (74%) 198 strava
            Fri 5.7 8:26 0:48 Felt muggy and sloggy, but HR+pace seem to indicate some fitness 131 (71%) 102 strava
            Sat 5.0 10:08 0:50 Slow one with the boys (cold ones followed) 123 (67%) 97 strava
              36.6 8:47 5:22     1232

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Katia77

Stopping in and busy as ever, which isn't a huge shock..

I see Max is still insane.

Brewing - omg 32 lbs?! Is NERP big or is my kid just that small?

Dwave - oh no, so sorry to hear about the tripping. You'll make it up soon, I'm sure, but that's just a really unfortunate sequence of events.

CK - totally annoying about the AD.

I'm up to about 30 miles a week, and officially decided to defer or cancel Chicago this year. I have no doubt I could get through 26.2 miles, but at about the time I was trying to figure out how to run 16 miles on Wednesday morning, working a full day, then taking a red-eye to FL with both kids on my own, I realized it sounded insane and may be a recipe for a nervous break down. Going to do a half in a month, and maybe Houston or Phoenix as a full.  I'm working a ton right now and my travel schedule just got in the way and I'm not in racing shape for a full right now anyway. so this way I can actually race a full. I'm not brave enough to attempt a LR in FL in August right now..   I've done almost 18 miles at this point, and yesterday's ru.n at the end of the day after a flight with both kiddos (and DH) was 8.1 at 8:40ish, so I'm feeling good, just tired. Mostly from work

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - omg 32 lbs?! Is NERP big or is my kid just that small?

I'm up to about 30 miles a week, and officially decided to defer or cancel Chicago this year. I have no doubt I could get through 26.2 miles, but at about the time I was trying to figure out how to run 16 miles on Wednesday morning, working a full day, then taking a red-eye to FL with both kids on my own, I realized it sounded insane and may be a recipe for a nervous break down. Going to do a half in a month, and maybe Houston or Phoenix as a full.  I'm working a ton right now and my travel schedule just got in the way and I'm not in racing shape for a full right now anyway. so this way I can actually race a full. I'm not brave enough to attempt a LR in FL in August right now..   I've done almost 18 miles at this point, and yesterday's ru.n at the end of the day after a flight with both kiddos (and DH) was 8.1 at 8:40ish, so I'm feeling good, just tired. Mostly from work

I think NeRP is just that big. Just remember, dynamite comes in small packages. NeRP gets more and more like me every day by doing things like "walking around barefoot everywhere" and "being an asshole" but apparently it's different when they're your own. He is really good at sleeping, and thankfully eating. Not much he doesn't like and we've moved from "no?" to actually hearing "yeah" when we ask him a question. 16 miles before traveling sounds nuts. Traveling with two kids after running a 16 miler sounds like you hate your husband self. Great job bouncing back into running after number 2. I'm sure the desire to sit at home and watch the house become disorganized sounds more appealing most days. I'm already dreading training with one kid. You have TWO! Plus you're kind of important at your job. Oh and the "feels like" in Jacksonville was something in the neighborhood of 113 the other day.

max is down to about 49 miles to go. I think he will catch up to Catra Corbet. Looks like a handfull more climbs but mostly on top of a mountain range. The weather seems to be better than "I might ACTUALLY die this time."

I had a stroll down memory lane today. New RB for lunch runs mentioned not wanting to slow me down when I asked if she was coming. I pulled up a run from 2015 (I do this sometimes) and showed her my pace then. A BLISTERING 8:50 and my long run (first year I ran CIM which was my 2nd marathon) a few days before was a 9:25 where the first few miles were "too fast" and that's what I ran at a casual pace pushing a stroller a few days ago. my how things change.

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

So I ended up signed up for Santa Rosa in 12 days.  Should be interesting.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

Full.

Running Problem

Problem Child

So I ended up signed up for Santa Rosa in 12 days.  Should be interesting.

Watch out for the course markings for the first two miles.

https://abc7news.com/sports/wrong-turn-leads-to-mistake-at-santa-rosa-marathon/1490449/

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/6029356-181/santa-rosa-marathon-race-director

Oh and hit up some breweries while you're there.

http://santarosamarathon.com/beerfest/

VDOT 53.37 

pepperjack

pie man

Only if they have grace bros.

Rovatti - ... I'm planning on being in your neck of the woods for the 5th Avenue Mile again.  It'd be really nice if they could announce the heat times, given that the race is less than a month away.

https://scblob.nyrr.org/nyrrsitecoreblob/nyrr/pdf/race-pages/2019-fam---final1-heat-schedule.pdf

I'm planning to run.  See you there!

kcam

i'd love to run the 5th ave mile, maybe the only race on what they call the 'bucket list'.  My daughter lives on Long Island and I visit once in a while but so far not at that time.  This year I will be visiting from 8/26 through 9/3.  DOH!  "Missed it by THAT much."

Have fun!

BTW - had the cardiologist visit and he said I'm good to resume training though he did say to keep it below about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of effort.  Uhhm, I'm gonna race and that will be a 10!  Also, said that the tests show little to no heart damage from the incident.

... tests show little to no heart damage from the incident.

Excellent news!!   ...and I wonder if you'll run better now with your stents than you did clogged coronaries?