2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

!!! Thnk you!  Just ordered two pairs.

These don't come in women's shoes, so I always have to go with the men's in 5.5.

Now you have me wondering if I should do the same. I just ordered some "Po'Boy" cheaterflys (zoom fly fly knit with carbon fiber plate) for CIM so now I'm wondering if I should have gone with these. Will they be training shoes or racing shoes, and if racing...what distances?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- men's and women's shoes are indeed differently shaped. The footbed, mostly.

#WomenAreNotSmallMen

I just broke open a box of zoom fly flyknits that were on sale somewhere so I added them to my "I'll eventually wear these" pile. The  upper and lace area is weird, but they are pretty comfortable none the less. I wear them for most training, a lot of my teammates do ... they feel good,  esp for long runs? Are  they supposed to be race-specific shoes? Hm.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Now you have me wondering if I should do the same. I just ordered some "Po'Boy" cheaterflys (zoom fly fly knit with carbon fiber plate) for CIM so now I'm wondering if I should have gone with these. Will they be training shoes or racing shoes, and if racing...what distances?

The Takumi Sens are very light, stiff, and bouncy - I've done long runs in them, but most people don't.  I would say very few people use them for a marathon.  The normal use is as a short distance racing flat.

They are bouncier than the Zoom fly, but far less cushioned or forgiving.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk you mean they don't just "shrink it and pink it" like everything else? I guess I've always thought everyone's feet are different and not gender specific, but it kind of makes sense. I think I'm planning on training and racing in my fly knits. I used my Zantes for fast training runs and they felt light and spongy. I think I still have some miles on the Zoom Flys from Mt. Charleston (2 pairs) to see if I notice a difference between the shoes. I wanted the black with orange swoosh but they were gone so I get red, WHITE, and blue. Excellent color for a road shoe. I just hope no one points out my shoes if I BQ this year.

dwave gotcha. Maybe after marathon season is over I'll look into them, and others, for racing flats. Having never worn them, and not having people around me to talk shoes it's just hit and miss mixed with trial and error.

I hate heat. I hate heat even more when I'm able to find a different gear and go hard. Slowed down during today's run because a new girl (capable runner) was struggling to keep up with the pace and we didn't want to ditch her. Found out 4+ miles in she did 8 this morning and was hanging with us doing 7:20s. Oh and she wants to go sub 3 at CIM...so I have that going for me now. #stillonegrumpybruce

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

rlk you mean they don't just "shrink it and pink it" like everything else? I guess I've always thought everyone's feet are different and not gender specific, but it kind of makes sense. I think I'm planning on training and racing in my fly knits. I used my Zantes for fast training runs and they felt light and spongy. I think I still have some miles on the Zoom Flys from Mt. Charleston (2 pairs) to see if I notice a difference between the shoes. I wanted the black with orange swoosh but they were gone so I get red, WHITE, and blue. Excellent color for a road shoe. I just hope no one points out my shoes if I BQ this year.

in the bicycling world, mostly shrunk and punk (?), unfortunately. My nice bike is a "unisex" bike and the handlebars are slightly too far of a reach for me, despite getting a legit bike fitting. meh.
            feet are evolutionarily designed for the load that they carry, and the factors involved in that load are largely distribution of mass and mass itself. those things can bucket decently well by gender. easier to design just two fits for a given shoe than ... infinite? Smile

Running Problem

Problem Child

in the bicycling world, mostly shrunk and punk (?), unfortunately. My nice bike is a "unisex" bike and the handlebars are slightly too far of a reach for me, despite getting a legit bike fitting. meh.
              feet are evolutionarily designed for the load that they carry, and the factors involved in that load are largely distribution of mass and mass itself. those things can bucket decently well by gender. easier to design just two fits for a given shoe than ... infinite? Smile

Glad I'm not a cyclist. Sounds like getting "fit" means "you're going to buy this, and hope it works for you." Glad running should keep me from getting fat. I'd hate to have my feet change because I eat more (scarfs poppyseed muffin with lunch).

VDOT 53.37 

From the Internet.

I have heard that some companies do a different fit by gender and some do not, so you'd prob have to inquire with each manufacturer to find out if you were particularly interested in knowing for sure. I wear men's Nikes because the standard width for men (D) is the same as the wide width for women (standard is B), and it's way easier to find all the cool shoes either unisex or men's 7.5D than women's 9D (if they even make them, most models they just don't). Most other shoes I can just go with women's because the last/toebox are shaped differently than Nike's and the standard women's usually fits me fine.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The shoe thing (making only men's shoes) doesn't bother me too much from a fit standpoint, but I do get annoyed because it can be challenging to find men's shoes small enough for my feet.

I get more annoyed by

a) races going with "unisex" (aka Men's) shirts [they never fit well]; and

b) gym equipment catering to men - stuff like pull-up bars being too wide for me to use, benches being too far off the floor, and dumbbell handles being too thick for my hands to comfortably wrap around.

[on reflection, my whining is less about life not accommodating women and more about life not accommodating small people.  At least I'll always have airline seating.]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

The shoe thing (making only men's shoes) doesn't bother me too much from a fit standpoint, but I do get annoyed because it can be challenging to find men's shoes small enough for my feet.

I get more annoyed by

a) races going with "unisex" (aka Men's) shirts [they never fit well]; and

b) gym equipment catering to men - stuff like pull-up bars being too wide for me to use, benches being too far off the floor, and dumbbell handles being too thick for my hands to comfortably wrap around.

[on reflection, my whining is less about life not accommodating women and more about life not accommodating small people.  At least I'll always have airline seating.]

My niece wears a size 4. Good luck finding track spikes in that size. I tried for a while and gave up. She won't be winning any meets but I was going to spend $100 on some spikes for her as a "hey I found some. Now you get new shoes" gift.

Life doesn't accommodate tall people (6'3 and taller) very well either. I'm sure keen/ace have plenty of "being tall sucks" moments. Heck I bet finding a size 14 running shoe becomes hard too. I'm pretty glad I'm average in most things. Unisex shirts DOES sounds a little ridiculous unless it's a singlet. I'd imagine those are kind of unisex but I haven't found a race offering them.

Life sucks and usually complaining gets old...unless you type it out and assume people read it Big grin Ask me how I know.

VDOT 53.37 

Katia77

Hey look I actually stuck around for more than 1 post in 2 months... 

Brew - eh, 2 kids isn't that bad, lol at the moment it's the new job that is seriously time consuming. I mean, I'm on my computer bc I was working .. on "vacation" at 11pm..

Beryl - I feel you on the hard time scheduling LRs.

Dwave - totally on the "it's hard to find stuff as a small person" bus. For me, professional clothing is probably the hardest. No wait.. maternity professional clothing was downright impossible. Professional clothing is just... I need i hemmed. But, yes - airline seating lol.

I managed 20 miles last week and so far 12 this week. I'm not sure how much more I'll get in since I'm in FL with both kids and I don't really have time to adjust to the time difference so I'll likely be up late. Running a half a REVEL half in a month (it's in my backyard) and my sister is going to run it with me (she's thus far not a runner) so that's kind of exciting.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

AceHarris

Brew: You have no idea how flattered I am that you thought I am tall!! I'm just 5'9", haha!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

As possibly the tallest person in the thread (just north of 6' 1") I can verify that in most cases flying sucks!
                          Clothes shopping tends to suck as well - finding clothes that are long enough yet not approximately as round as an old whiskey barrel is quite difficult. Can I get the body of a medium to smedium and length of a large? No, well, thanks anyway...
                          And the shower head in hotel rooms is frequently at about chin-height, and angles down from there.
                          I does have benefits, though. I never have to ask for someone to reach something on a shelf, and don't mind when someone in a store asks me to do so for them. I always get to be in the back row in pictures. Plus, I can laugh at songs like this

Surely there must be some middle ground somewhere!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

1. When I was younger I was 29x34 for pants and it was neigh impossible to find them.  Even 32x34 is not all that easy.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

mattw4jc

Just to show I'm caught up on this thread. I'm 5'8".

I had an off week 2 weeks ago with only 21 miles. I was resting a minor calf strain / tightness. Then I was off work last week and attempted 10 miles per day. Skipped Wednesday and Sunday, but ran 16 on Saturday for 56 total.

This week is going so-so. 8 on Tue + 8 on Wed + 9 today. Six scheduled for Saturday and something long on Sunday. I don't feel like I'm really into this marathon training cycle. More of a just get some miles in attitude. I feel slow and don't like getting up at 4am much right now.

A week ago I got into some poison ivy or similar and have looked pretty bad all week. Mostly felt okay and not too itchy, just annoying I guess. Some spots are getting better already. Others showed up later.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

1. When I was younger I was 29x34 for pants and it was neigh impossible to find them.  Even 32x34 is not all that easy.

BF is a 28. i'm sure these small sizes are harder to find now than they were a few decades ago. #murica.

_________________________________________________