2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Speed Surplus

"finding clothes that are long enough yet not approximately as round as an old whiskey barrel is quite difficult."

Checking in at 6'1" with size 12 shoes here. I have the same T-shirt issue. If the sleeves are long enough, the body is too baggy. If the body fits well, the sleeves ride up and look dumb. I usually choose Medium and hope for the best.

I don't feel like I'm tall enough to complain about airline seats, but one thing that drives me nuts while running is when people don't trim their trees/foliage high enough. I'm constantly ducking under poorly trimmed vegetation and getting spiderwebs in my hair and such.

Also, not to shoe-size-shame anyone, but Men's size 5.5 shoes are almost incomprehensible to me. I can imagine it's hard to find exactly what you want in that size!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just commenting on the thin folks issue:

Uniqlo is your friend. Muji surprisingly has good inexpensive stuff too.

Basically, if it was built for Japanese people, it'll fit your thin frame. Built for Americans? LOL.

Darkwave is delurking over in the Sub 1:30 thread talking about horses, I'm delurking over here talking about clothing. It's a bizarre situation.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

"finding clothes that are long enough yet not approximately as round as an old whiskey barrel is quite difficult."

Checking in at 6'1" with size 12 shoes here. I have the same T-shirt issue. If the sleeves are long enough, the body is too baggy. If the body fits well, the sleeves ride up and look dumb. I usually choose Medium and hope for the best.

I don't feel like I'm tall enough to complain about airline seats, but one thing that drives me nuts while running is when people don't trim their trees/foliage high enough. I'm constantly ducking under poorly trimmed vegetation and getting spiderwebs in my hair and such.

Also, not to shoe-size-shame anyone, but Men's size 5.5 shoes are almost incomprehensible to me. I can imagine it's hard to find exactly what you want in that size!

Size 12.5 shoes here (when sized up a bit for running, at least). I had completely forgotten about the trees issue since it's been so long since I've run in the city. I'm sure me doing an imitation of the Tower of Pisa to avoid scratching my corneas on a tree branch is amusing to watch.

Can you imagine how light size 5.5 shoes must be?? Trainers the same weight as our racing flats!

JMac - Thanks for the heads up on those - I'll try checking those out.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm delurking over here talking about clothing. It's a bizarre situation.

Didn't our friendships START talking about clothing? It's not bizarre. What is bizarre is you going all "checkers or wreckers" this weekend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - eh, 2 kids isn't that bad, lol at the moment it's the new job that is seriously time consuming. I mean, I'm on my computer bc I was working .. on "vacation" at 11pm..

I managed 20 miles last week and so far 12 this week. I'm not sure how much more I'll get in since I'm in FL with both kids and I don't really have time to adjust to the time difference so I'll likely be up late. Running a half a REVEL half in a month (it's in my backyard) and my sister is going to run it with me (she's thus far not a runner) so that's kind of exciting.

There are perks of knowing I'll never be promoted and probably won't find a job elsewhere. I told my last boss it's nice knowing I'm not so important to a process I MUST be there. She tried to act like she had been there (I doubt it) before and I compared her to our boss who 'serves at the will of the Governor" so I have THAT going for me. I saw they had a bike ride up some big long hill where fancy brick homes lined the streets in your neck of the state on TV the other day. Looked like some fancy Tour De SlUT stage race or something.

two kids...twenty miles...new job. Hopefully you'll get to see Mickey...or Dale (personal favorite).

ace 5'9?!?!?! DUDE I thought you were like 6'4. Now I'm SERIOUSLY impressed by your speed.

keen my niece is 4'11 or something like that. Step dad's grandparents were like 4' and 6'. Some total opposite and he said they drove one of those big old Caddys. Grandma drove it with the seat all the way forward, and grandpa moved it all the way back. Oh and I laughed at that video. I bet Steven Adams laughed too. Click Me.

matt Max told me about Tecnu for preventing that stuff from spreading.

rlk TWENTY EIGHT?!?!?!?! Sheesh. Feed that kid some hummus.

pj I had a new RB suggest Santa Rosa to me yesterday. I said "yeah becuase it won't be hot like today right?" so I think the weather is doomed.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So...side point about the small shoes thing...

My understanding is that running shoe manufacturers do not size the cushioning of their shoes up or down proportional to the shoe.  I.e. my size 5.5s have the same thickness of sole and cushioning as someone else's size 13s.

What this means, of course, is that my experience in a shoe may be very different from someone else's.  That size 13 is likely being worn by a much bigger person than myself, who compresses the cushioning far more, resulting in a completely different ride.  I believe that's why I can run in something like the Saucony Ride or Boston Boost, and feel like I'm wobbling on top of a marshmallow or wearing a pair of clogs, while another runner compresses them more and finds them very stable and comfortable, or even too little for a longer distance run.

Clothing sizing.  I'm just impossible to fit, which is why I have a few tailored business suits and everything else is stretchy "athleisure" stuff (I was wearing gym clothes all day before it became cool).  I'm small, but have the torso of a larger woman and short legs and arms with very small hands and feet (it's like I was born a bit incomplete).  Even if normal clothes were built more for runners, they'd never suit me.

Related story: last year a teammate of mine was trying to organize a bulk order of Lululemon sportsbras for all the women.  So....I went in to try on sportsbras there, and realized....I had to go up to size 10 (which is Lululemon for "you're almost too big to buy our stuff") to find a sportsbra that didn't feel like it was compressing my lungs.  And.....at that size, the fit of the fabric of the sportsbra was far from supportive....more like an empty sack hanging down in front of my torso.

So yeah, no Lululemon stuff for me.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mattw4jc

I'm small, but have the torso of a larger woman and short legs and arms with very small hands and feet (it's like I was born a bit incomplete). 

So yeah, no Lululemon stuff for me.

Large lung capacity perhaps?

berylrunner

Rick

6 foot, size 12 wide shoe.  No complaints.  I sometimes bonk my head on the chicken coop but that is my own fault for not building it tall enough.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

pepperjack

pie man

Brew - I’m always doomed with the weather.  Always.  Honestly, mid 50s sounds amazing to me right now.  You can pretty much see that ocean air rolling in in the evenings over there.

I feel I should point out I’m weirdly in some sort of shape.  It’s definitely not a traditional run a lot of miles shape, but I do 4 10 hour days in the field and usually cover 5-6 miles.  And we ain’t using trails, either.  So I’m down in the neighborhood of my PR weight.  I’m just going to see what happens.  I don’t really feel like I have started running until at least an hour in these days, so hopefully the race is that way.

On the flip side don’t get a traditional taper because I’m going to be working all 4 days next week (unless something unforeseen happens).  But 2 days easy and I’ll probably be climbing up the walls.  I feel ready to go right now and I still hiked up the side of a mountain yesterday in my free time.

(The 3x1600 workout was after a field day and I went over there to see if I could get into the neighborhood of a goal pace and ran 6:50s.  So that seemed like a positive sign)

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

PJ - will be very interested to see how this works for you.  I agree with you that this may actually work well.  Plus, you've got a lot of previous experience with marathons to fall back on.

Mattw4jc - honestly I'm not sure how my lung capacity compares to other runners.  I do know, based on all the spirometry, that I'm slightly below the population norm for my age/height/sex when my asthma's not controlled (keep in mind that the population norm is heavily influenced by the fact that the overwhelming majority of people my age/height/sex are sedentary).  But...lung capacity is not just a matter of rib cage size, but something that is highly trainable, and so runners and other endurance athletes are going to be way above the population norm.  I really don't know where I measure compared to other runners.

+++

My week: 64 miles, 18 "miles" of pool-running, and 3000 yards of swimming
                      M: Yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running
                      T: 12 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 5x800 in 6:03, 2:59, 2:58, 2:56, 2:56, 2:49. 4:56 recovery after 1600, 2:3x-2:4x recovery after the first three 800s, and over 3 minutes recovery after the fourth 800 (crowded track). Since I had the extra long recovery, I used the last 800 to work on turnover (split 86/83). Also leg strengthwork and 1250 yards recovery swimming.
                      W: 8 miles very easy (9:02), drills, strides, yoga, and 4 miles very easy (8:53)
                      Th: Upperbody weights, core, and 95 minutes pool-running.
                      F: 12 miles, including 2x3200 in 12:46 (6:28/6:18) and 12:40 (6:21/6:19) with 5:35 recovery between the two. Also leg strengthwork and 1200 yards recovery swimming.
                      Sa: 12 miles very easy (9:08); upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.
                      Su: 16 miles progressive, split as first 5 averaging 9:02, next 5 averaging 7:54; last 6 averaging 7:12. Followed with leg strengthwork and 550 yards recovery swimming.  (pretty hot and humid this morning, so holding my normal effort for the progression run resulted in paces a bit slower than usual).  Also leg strengthwork and 550 yards recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave you measure pretty high on my scale. Somewhere near the top 1% and it’s slightly biased towards max because he buys me nice things like Shirts, coffee cups, and free Mountain Dew. Plus he listens to my stories before I write them.

Pj yeah I think all your time in the mountains is going to help you. Didn’t know you were going for the safe BQ. I’ll be very jealous of you and also super proud. I’m sure the marathon energy is strong there just due to timing for registration to boston.

I got my weekly miles up to 43 (sounds so lame) with a 15 miler today in race shoes. They felt springy then kind of flattened out. I’ve never felt such strong arch support in a shoe. I really need to get up to 50 which would have been possible if I didn’t have to skip Friday to do errands at lunch. Such is life. Oh and I got some new gels and drink mix to try out thanks to an imaginary friend here. Hopefully they’re the ticket to a (ideally sub 3) CIM that gets me IN ago the 2021 parade.

VDOT 53.37 

berylrunner

Rick

56 miles for the week.  2 good workouts.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

PJ - Long days, bushwhacking off trail? Thinking of putting in for Barkley?

DWave - Good week.

Ace - Awesome LR this weekend. You ran St. Jude a while back, right? What were your impressions there?

Just dropping off my week because I don't think I have anything more substantial to contribute to the thread right now.

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Aug 12, 2019 thru Sunday, Aug 18, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                            Mon 12.8 7:06 2x (5x 1,200 CV), 1:12 rec, 8 min between sets. 1 shooting star and 2 rabbits 154 (79%) strava
                            Tue 12.2 8:32 A steady drizzle on the way out, plus 2 deer (2 strides) 137 (70%) strava
                            Tue 2.3 8:17 Moving miles from tomorrow to today 126 (64%) strava
                            Wed 8.1 8:34 2 shooting stars (!), 1 heron, and accidentally kicking a fat toad 133 (68%) strava
                            Thu 1.3 7:58 A piddly warm-up 134 (68%) strava
                            Thu 3.2 6:01 Inaugural Piedmont Invitational 5,000 (Read: solo time trial) 169 (86%) strava
                            Thu 7.8 8:33 8 rabbits & 1 possum 146 (74%) strava
                            Fri 10.2 8:41 7 deer (7 strides), 4 skunks, 1 rabbit, 1 raccoon, & 1 owl 140 (71%) strava
                            Sat 15.1 8:24 Not the usual Remington hills, but hills all the same 147 (75%) strava
                              73.0 8:09      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

AceHarris

Keen: thanks for the kudos on the LR. It was a tough one.  As far as St. Jude goes, I've ran the HM there. I ran it with my wife and enjoyed it, but didn't go at it with a competitive mindset.  A lot of people run it and enjoy it. It's not pancake flat, but definitely not hilly. Finish line food was good when I ran it in 2014.

Had a weird training week. Monday, my 5 year old asked me to skip my run to play, so I did. What a great choice! Especially knowing that will happen less as I get back to marathon training and as she becomes an adolescent.  Had 2 shorter runs, one a progression. Then ran 24 on Sunday with 2,800' gain. Despite some muscle cramps the last 4 it went pretty well. Felt like I got a good feel for what a 50k day may be like. Still need to work on nutrition/hydration. Essentially just need more of it more often.

This weekend's high temps ranged from 94-97 and morning humidity was 95+, so needless to say I'm ready for Fall!

Anybody have any thoughts on my chances of racing on that April Monday? I have a 2:42 cushion. With registration quickly approaching I've been curious about my chances.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

mattw4jc

This weekend's high temps ranged from 94-97 and morning humidity was 95+, so needless to say I'm ready for Fall!

Anybody have any thoughts on my chances of racing on that April Monday? I have a 2:42 cushion. With registration quickly approaching I've been curious about my chances.

Major ugh on the temps and humidity. It's been rough here in NC too, even in the early mornings.

I would think that any cushion 60 seconds or more would be safe for the 2020 squeakers. The 5 minute drop in requirements will dissuade some from even trying. I do think there will be some sort of cutoff, but I can't image more than 45 - 60 seconds. But of course, anything anyone (including me) guesses is just that - a guess.

I ended last week with just under 48 miles. I've mostly given up trying for any speed work as of late. I need to get back into it, but motivation is low and the heat makes me feel so slow. I had to bail on the Saturday long run with the local running group. This meant a solo16 yesterday. It was a good challenge to keep it going and hold a steady pace on my own. 16 @ 8:25. I sought out some hills too and got about 1,000 ft of elevation.

I'm on a mixed masters team of 12 for the Blue Ridge Relay in about 3 weeks. I have 3 legs, none of which are very long, but each has its own challenge in climbing.