2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I remember this one time Strava said if you negative split a marathon before the day after CIM you'd get free New Balance Shoes of your choosing. It was so awesome I wrote a story about it. They stopped making the shoe I picked a year later.

yeah, i bitched at my friend who works there a few months ago when they had some challenge where i think it was "$20 off smartwool socks" and they really meant "$20 off $50" or something (i'm making up these numbers, i forget) - which is so different than just 20 off! i didn't want to spend any.

ok, cheapskate rant over. Big grin

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

yeah, i bitched at my friend who works there a few months ago when they had some challenge where i think it was "$20 off smartwool socks" and they really meant "$20 off $50" or something (i'm making up these numbers, i forget) - which is so different than just 20 off! i didn't want to spend any.

ok, cheapskate rant over. Big grin

This is exactly why I haven't pursued the lulu coupons, or the other coupons for Strava challenges. Free gear? Yeah, that'll get me in the store. Some random percentage off? Not enough of an enticement to drop cash on something I wouldn't have bought over going with my favorite stuff from elsewhere.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Very similar to "free" medal engraving at the Nike store. Yes you can walk in, drop off the medal and pick it up later for free. They just have so many things you think you need.

$50 off smartwool socks...I'm not training for a 240 mile journey through Moab, UT. How many socks do they think we need? Suggest a free stick of Squirrels Nut Butter (or discount coupon) as an idea. I know Mr. Thornley would have to agree, but I could see people getting into it.

It's almost as bad as "free" shipping with $16 tax for buying shoes online. Tax free and $10 shipping would be a nicer option. #firstworldproblems #carbonfibershoes #shorthairdontcare

how do you get a job at Strava? Computer programming background? I'm sure it takes a large number of people to run the website and they make all kinds of improvements/updates so it can't be hard. I'm just curious about employment there.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mattw4jc

I'm not sure how letting in everyone who applies with a qualified time leaves a few thousand spots open...

I meant that if they lowered the qualifying time to say (for extreme example) 2:45 for youngest age group and so on up. Then everyone who qualified would get in, but a lot less people would qualify and they'd have a lot of unsold entries. It's basic supply and demand, but instead of raising and lowering the price to get the number of applicants they want, they're adjusting the qualifying standard and filling the 27,000 (or whatever) slots they have.

As for Strava, I never get why folks (and maybe some of you are guilty here) join these "Run a 5k in August" challenge every month. And by folks I mean people training for marathons, ultras, ironmans, etc. When a minimum run distance is 6, 7 or more miles, what's the point? Another badge or trophy which is really just a small image being shown on your profile? [/rant]

Running Problem

Problem Child

I meant that if they lowered the qualifying time to say (for extreme example) 2:45 for youngest age group and so on up. Then everyone who qualified would get in, but a lot less people would qualify and they'd have a lot of unsold entries. It's basic supply and demand, but instead of raising and lowering the price to get the number of applicants they want, they're adjusting the qualifying standard and filling the 27,000 (or whatever) slots they have.

As for Strava, I never get why folks (and maybe some of you are guilty here) join these "Run a 5k in August" challenge every month. And by folks I mean people training for marathons, ultras, ironmans, etc. When a minimum run distance is 6, 7 or more miles, what's the point? Another badge or trophy which is really just a small image being shown on your profile? [/rant]

Gotcha.

Badges are life. Untappd gives out badges for drinking beer in specific locations. Strava gives them out for being active. Some people collect medals, some people like digital tags, some people just run without looking at pace or using GPS/Strava. Crazy times we live in 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

how do you get a job at Strava? Computer programming background? I'm sure it takes a large number of people to run the website and they make all kinds of improvements/updates so it can't be hard. I'm just curious about employment there.

brew- they have a ton of different groups- ux designers, android dev, ios dev, infra dev, marketing, analytics, customer support, they hired someone recently to be their podcast person (why does every quasi-running expert need a podcast these days? it's too much to listen to...), etc. yeah, a programming background would help. (welcome to SF).

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- they have a ton of different groups- ux designers, android dev, ios dev, infra dev, marketing, analytics, customer support, they hired someone recently to be their podcast person (why does every quasi-running expert need a podcast these days? it's too much to listen to...), etc. yeah, a programming background would help. (welcome to SF).

Got it. So I'll have to go back to college and get a degree in "computers" to work there. I'd be interested in what their customer support is. "umm...I should be the king/queen of this SEGment...and like...I'm not."  I'm sure it is interesting.

I didn't know podcasts were still a thing. I thought those died out with napster or vlogs.

bailed on my workout today. It felt too hard after yesterdays run. Looking at the data it was right where it needed to be according to some spreadsheet I pulled from RA based on Jack Daniels training paces. 2:20-2:26 (5k-10k pace) and I hit just about 2:20-2:24 for all of them, but the odd intervals just felt like garbage. I was just reading about perceived exertion being influenced by non-running factors in Endure. Guess it is true for me. shoulda, coulda, woulda, all got scared by one little did. I actually thought I was slowing down much more on that 2:24 which is why I bailed on two more.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Odd intervals felt like garbage? Why didn't you just skip those and do even ones, then? 

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - Odd intervals felt like garbage? Why didn't you just skip those and do even ones, then? 

I’m a strange goose surrounded by ducks.

Truthfully I should have just stuck it out if only for the “don’t bail on the workout” mentality to be kept. Even going by feel could have been good for the mental game and I might have surprised myself.

EDIT rlk Check out David Goggin's post on the IG about Leadville. He explains "checkers or wreckers" a little bit differently and with more detail. I'd say "checkers or wreckers" is similar to your 3:19 at CIM 2017.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

keen with a solid dad joke!

RLK: Where are you on the points thing for road races?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

From the Internet.

lol!!

Re: Strava challenges, I figure I'm gonna run the miles anyway, why not get a coupon or whatever and then see if I actually use it. I did get the free Lulu stuff the first year they did that challenge and that was awesome - I would bet they didn't realize how much runners actually, you know, RUN, and cut back on the swag after that, haha. I am also super guilty of the "run a 5k every month" ones though I don't know why I bother, just habit I guess.

Had a really solid week last week and re-discovered my racing joy/sorted out some of my mental hurdles, so I'm super happy about that!

Monday - 7 easy

Tuesday - 11.2ish in 90 min, my legs felt like MOVING

Wednesday - 8 miles w/ club workout; 1000, 2x800, 3x600, 2x400 for 5200m total of work; short jog after the 1000m and between the reps of all the following sets, 400m jog between 800s and 600s, 600s and 400s. 3:52ish, 3:05/3:00, 2:13/2:12/2:12, 86/84 and I am SUUUUPER excited for winter mile season now! Was running high 80s for 400s with long recoveries all winter, to put a couple mid-80s back to back at the end of a workout with a shorter jog in between says that good things are coming.

Thursday - 7.3ish easy

Friday - into the city for a long run with one of my running BFFs who was passing through town on her way back from a work trip overseas. 16.7 miles at a nice easy 8:45 average and we chatted away through the whole thing and it felt like no time at all.

Saturday - 5.1 easy

Sunday  - Falmouth Road Race! I went in super chill and apparently I need to channel this attitude for all my races. It's never good race weather so I knew I wouldn't be running at 100% ability, the logistics are a little crazy, and I got in a 3/4 mile warmup... at 7:30. For a 9 AM start. Met a bunch of friends there, distributed the bibs I'd picked up the day before, we all rode the buses over to the start together. Too crazy and crowded to try jogging at all so we just maneuvered our way up to the wave 1 area and waited. I thought I'd be looking at like a 9:00 first mile but splits from Garmin were 7:03, 7:19 (I dropped MY FAVORITE HEADBAND and had to go back to save it, lol - shoved it in my pocket and made do with flyaway hairs for the rest of the race), 7:09, 7:06, 7:07, 6:58, 6:39, 25.6 sec for the last 0.08. Official time 49:46, 22/812 in my age group, 446 overall out of more than 11,000. I enjoyed the scenery and high fived spectators and saw a couple of friends and one of my coaches and ran through all the sprinklers. Passed Bill Rodgers early on. Felt like smiling the whole time although I don't know if my face actually did it or not, especially toward the end when I realized I had a ton of gas in the tank and cranked it up, lol.

Friends all finished before me or within a few minutes of me, we made our way off the cape before traffic could back up too badly and hung out and ate lobster rolls for an hour or so before going our separate ways. This was such a great reminder that if I relax, conditions don't have to be PERFECT for me to have a fun time and a good race. Gonna hang on to that feeling for the rest of my fall plans.

And I DESTROYED my workout today so I'm super happy with that. 6x1000m, longish recoveries (group workout, I tend to jog briskly but then end up waiting around for the stragglers to come in), 3:55, 3:50, 3:49, 3:48, 3:46, 3:48. The last couple were TOUGH but doable, if you'd told me I needed to do one more I probably would have shed a tear and said some choice words but given it a try.

Speed Surplus

Lauren, that's a heck of a nice set of 1k repeats!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a solid dad joke! Especially towards another one of the dads in the thread.

Lauren - Awesome week, and I'm glad you're getting the mental stuff sorted out and are putting in strong work at the ends of the workout.

Upcoming Races:

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ace- ha, thanks for remembering! I'm in I think 10th place now. The last race on the circuit I did was in June, then there was one on July 4 I was out of town for so I lost a rank or two. The final race of the year is on Thanksgiving, so I should be good to go! (It's top 15). Bit of a break from road racing due to XC.

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace- ha, thanks for remembering! I'm in I think 10th place now. The last race on the circuit I did was in June, then there was one on July 4 I was out of town for so I lost a rank or two. The final race of the year is on Thanksgiving, so I should be good to go! (It's top 15). Bit of a break from road racing due to XC.

How many points do you need to bet back to the top 8, and are those two individuals doing CIM? I'd imagine 2 weeks before CIM is a good time to hit that last race effort then taper so I'd expect those two women, and you, to want to stay top 10.

lauren wow those 1,000m repeats are FAST! Also, nice pacing on the road race.

VDOT 53.37