2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

CalBears

Mmmmmm, BEER.  The reason why I am not in the 3:00 thread.

Not sure what you mean - we love beer and drink the beer we love...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CalBears

I'm still out here banging away, but very inconsistently.  This was supposed to be a good week for me but this darn heat .... I missed Thursday and Friday because I didn't want to get out at lunch in the 90+ temps.  And I just can't force myself out in the evening when the sun goes down.  Sigh.

I was struggling with the same problem of inconsistency while I was trying to run after work... For 2 years... Until I started to run in the morning - 5am, or 5:30am or 6am (depending on the distance that day) and since then inconsistency stopped to be a problem. And it's always 55 in the morning here in the Bay area Smile I thought it would be difficult to wake up so early because I thought I am a late go to sleep person - no, just started to go to bed earlier, you definitely need some discipline, but transition was easier than expected and it's a great feeling to go to work when your daily run is already in the books.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

you called?

Did you ever get a kegerator? I feel like it was 2 years ago you were looking but didn’t think the beer would last over winter or something.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Lauren - Ha! I feel you on all the soccer commitments! DD1 had a tournament on one side of the greater metro area this weekend, while DD2 played on the complete opposite side. Divide and conquer!

DWave - Another solid week. Good to hear both cats and your ankle are all doing ok.

Lauren - You've been killing it with the mileage lately, well done.

Rovatti - Nice week!

Last week was a bit crazy for me. DW and DD1 were sick, while DD2 faked out her mom and got to stay home from school, so I was off work helping take care of them. Thursday/Friday I helped move my grandfather into a new place, then soccer stuff all weekend. DD3 also decided she wanted to potty train herself mid-week, which was a (welcome) surprise.
          And it's sign-up day for squeakers, so that's a thing. I just noticed that one of the local fast guys (~2:35 marathon) is right in the middle of one of the pictures on the B.A.A. website (blue singlet, bib 353 - 52ND OA at Botswana last year).

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Sep 09, 2019 thru Sunday, Sep 15, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
          Mon 13.6 7:25 20 min T, 4 min E, 15 min T, 3 min E, 10 min T 147 (75%) strava
          Mon 3.2 8:06 DW says I have a running addiction. I prefer the term "aggressively-pursued hobby" - Yorkshire 130 (66%) strava
          Tue 10.5 8:21 HR seems to be taking a nosedive lately 128 (65%) strava
          Wed 10.5 8:19 1 set of glowing eyes. Should have brought the brighter headlamp 129 (66%) strava
          Thu 14.1 7:42 9x 1k 150 (77%) strava
          Fri 7.5 8:17 Richmond 132 (67%) strava
          Sat 16.5 8:12 3 herons, 1 owl, and lots of fog in the moonlight 134 (68%) strava
          Sun 2.5 8:04 Just loosening up the legs 132 (67%) strava
            78.4 8:00      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

berylrunner

Rick

Recovery week of 26 miles and then yesterday did a nine mile hike called the Subway in Zion.  Unbelievable,  almost makes me want to cut running and get into canyoneering.   However,  I did bang my knee on the first rappel,  so need to take a few more days of easy.

Lauren,  great weeks.  I need to copy your training if I do another marathon cycle.

Dark wave.  Hope the kitties are doing well.   I am up to 11 now.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Celeb sighting on my jog this am:

Desi Linden cruising along the Hudson river (looked like she was doing a tempo).

I screamed DEZZZ!!! ...she smiled and flashed me a peace sign. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rov I'd have tried to catch her at the end just for a Strava photo/title. "That time I caught the Boston Marathon winner. I don't think she knew I was chasing her. I don't think I'll try that again."

kcam I feel the pain. Former San Jose transplant but, (not trying to compare/be a dick) I trained for Chicago in 90-100F temps. Others here have as well, or worse, and RLK  lived through it without AC. Try making it a point to get out there and not bail on a run until you've done one mile. Seriously. I have had some big mental funk MONTHS where I didn't want to run until keen suggested getting dressed before bailing, and I decided on doing 1 mile before  bailing. It's 10 minutes difference. As a point of reference, I have 20-30 mph winds on my run today with a chance of rain. Want to trade? I listened to a LOT of people here about various ways to marathon train. Morning runs, slowing down, or just STARTING runs made a big difference.

dwave glad the ankle is feeling better. I'm just waiting for something major to happen to me. Sickness, injury, more mental blocks, etc. for this cycle.

keen almost EIGHTY this week?!?!?!! DAMN! How many hours is that? 10? Garmin says I ran 9 and RA says I ran 8. I don't know where the difference is.

My Week:

Tuesday speed work went okay. Fast/slow but it's roads so any up/downhill assistance is uncontrollable. I probably could have taken longer breaks between each 1,200 (4:43, 4:40, 4:53 felt hard, 4:38 with ~2:30-40 job recovery) but such is life and doing workouts at work.

Thursday went well with 7 @GMP...but actually a few seconds faster. Again, working on how it FEELS and not focusing so much on the watch. I know CIM has no problems with GPS, but focusing on my form, speed increases, stomach, and not leaning back as much seems to be helpful mentally.

Saturday changed from a long run to a bad math problem in that I THOUGHT I'd be pressed for time to get home before DW needed toget her hair done. Apparently a 9:00 pace for a 12 mile run starting at 7:00am means I'll get done at 9:00-9:15. Thought I'd add on at the end but just wasn't feeling running around the building for 3+ miles.

Sunday long run started off miserable and just running to move the legs. Jumped into the local store run that THANKFULLY wasn't running uphill courses. I was able to start and end my run from home AND discover a section of road I've used for CIM training previously is now open again and freshly paved. This will come in handy as I'll be doing speed/T/M paced workouts after work on Tuesdays. It's been a while since I've done that so finishing a M run without trying to race the sunset home should be weird.

60 miles for the week finally. two sessions of TRX (book workout 3x10) seem to be doing well. I'll probably increase the ab workout times from 30 seconds to 1:00 shortly. I'm NOT looking forward to that. 7 day run streak.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Strict WTF adherent

Did you ever get a kegerator? I feel like it was 2 years ago you were looking but didn’t think the beer would last over winter or something.

Yup. It has served me well.

Now working on a keezer, because why stop anywhere reasonable?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yup. It has served me well.

Now working on a keezer, because why stop anywhere reasonable?

https://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/app/d/zephyrhills-upright-freezer-209cf/6955696027.html

If you say so...This can fit up to 8 or 10 ( honestly forget) homebrew style 5 gallon kegs, or probably two full sized kegs.

VDOT 53.37 

berylrunner

Rick

Yep, thanks.  Plan for shedding a few pounds before my marathon,  out the window.  I might as well gain 10 and enter the clydesdale division.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Yep, thanks.  Plan for shedding a few pounds before my marathon,  out the window.  I might as well gain 10 and enter the clydesdale division.

Way to look at the bright side!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

No posts in 4 days???

Running Problem

Problem Child

No posts in 4 days???

Busy training.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I had business travel - that's my excuse.

Had some wonderful steak tartare while in NYC.  Of course, in retrospect, not the safest dietary choice, but too late now.

Also ran on the west side, where I continue to be confuzzled by where runners are supposed to run versus bikers biking.

Sorry I didn't ping you Rovatti while I was there - I had no idea when I was going to be able to run, so couldn't commit to a time/location.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Had some wonderful steak tartare while in NYC...Sorry I didn't ping you Rovatti while I was there ...

It's just as well...  I've managed to strain my chronically gimpy calf again, so I've been back in the gym with weights, XT, and pool.  Hopefully short term.   I like steak, but not tartare... where'd you get it?