2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I'm apprehensive, because I haven't raced in a few years, now.  (I canceled my would-be comeback race due to pain in the muscles and ligaments around my sfx area.)  But I have looked at the past few years of Canyonlands results, and actually, my guess at the kind of time I might be able to run lands me right in my usual spot - I've never won my age group, but come in 2nd or 3rd several times, and always in the top 10 AG.  It's actually reassuring to see that the AG winner last year was slower than my PR, and that my realistic target would put me in the top 10 AG.

I'm probably not going to do this race, though, because it got bought up by another race company and they want $100 for the half and only $10 less for the 5-mile!  Yikes.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I think she's 35, maybe 36.
      I'd certainly call 12* "pretty cold" as well. It doesn't often get that cold around here. Bummer about the breathing problems, but you certainly have the right attitude about it. 
      "Men have a sharper PR drop-off from shorter distances to the marathon" - Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ilana - Great to see you around here again, and that you're putting in consistent runs and other activities. Those are some crazy race prices!

My right calf is feeling a bit tight, so I'll be working that out today. Hoping to do some sort of interval-ish run tomorrow to finally step back in to the "two workouts per week" club.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

pepperjack

pie man

Most important question is what shoes was she wearing at each race?

Mary Cain is in Mammoth with Deena (and Alexi and that gang)?

Less than perfect experience last night.  It was my day off for MLK and I had drifted all the way down to Novato and found what looked like a perfect spot for a track workout, not a school track--maybe a former school track.  I roll up around 6 and it's already getting dark.  I finish the warm up with a lap and I realize it not a dirt track, but pretty much a marshy mud track about half way around.  But I get out my headlamp and make the best of it.  After a lap or so I realize i'm running through just a full on cloud every lap in the turn closest to the road.  I worry a little that someone is going to freak about someone with a headlamp but it seems to go fine through 3 of the 4 1200s (this is California and not Baltimore!).  But by the last rep they have gotten out of the car and are pretty much in a circle on the edge of the track and I bail, taking the straight and just leave the area to finish the last rep which went about as one would expect.

Mainly annoyed that they didn't wait like 3 minutes and I would have been able to finish and leave forever.  But, whatever.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

berylrunner

Rick

Congrats on the BQ, Beryl! I haven't paid close enough attention to remember what kind of taper (if any) you were doing, but do you think it contributed to feeling flat on race day?

Combination of a lot of factors, but the main one was travel stress and poor food and adult beverage choices.

Also, major rookie move.  After researching, I found out the sports drink had 0 calories, so I ran a marathon on 2 gels.   Kept the paces up pretty good at the end, however..

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

pepperjack

pie man

That's not a lot of nutrition, good job holding on at the end.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

That's not a lot of nutrition, good job holding on at the end.

That is approximately 2/9ths of the required gels for a marathon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

PJ - A little Strava stalking (and google image searches for shoes) and I think she was wearing Cheaterfly 4%s in at least CIM and Houston. So, you know. The shoes probably ran most of the race for her. Especially that downhill, slip-and-slide of a course in California... 

Beryl - Just two gels? Wow, not much at all. Good job holding on without it. Do you do lots of longer training runs without nutrition? The only people I know who could have finished a marathon like that don't use gels very often, if at all, during training runs.

I used 4-5 during my last marathon (plus one just before), and plan to up that to maybe 6-8 for my next marathon.

Upcoming Races:

berylrunner

Rick

Beryl - Just two gels? Wow, not much at all. Good job holding on without it. Do you do lots of longer training runs without nutrition? The only people I know who could have finished a marathon like that don't use gels very often, if at all, during training runs.

I used 4-5 during my last marathon (plus one just before), and plan to up that to maybe 6-8 for my next marathon.

Yes, I was doing my long runs on 200 to 300 calories.  Of course, shorter and lower intensity.

My breakfast was an estimated 500 calories and I am overweight, so I had a fuel belt of fat to burn.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

That is approximately 2/9ths of the required gels for a marathon.

excellent take, may cliz's RWOL presence rest in peace

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

kcam

Many of my marathons I've had no gels or food at all but then almost all of my training is on an empty stomach so maybe used to that depleted(?) state.  I do like to keep a few of those energy beans in my pocket just to have something to take my mind off the latter-stage monotony.

Two gels is a buffet to me, lol!

Speed Surplus

"That is approximately 2/9ths of the required gels for a marathon."

I think you mean 1/9th!

"Many of my marathons I've had no gels or food at all but then almost all of my training is on an empty stomach so maybe used to that depleted(?) state.  I do like to keep a few of those energy beans in my pocket just to have something to take my mind off the latter-stage monotony.

Two gels is a buffet to me, lol!"

I can't imagine not eating a ton of gels. I basically eat one every 20 minutes until I can't stand them anymore.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Many of my marathons I've had no gels or food at all but then almost all of my training is on an empty stomach so maybe used to that depleted(?) state. 

This is more the strategy I take. Zero calories before/during any run except if I'm specifically testing nutrition, but then I'll use gels in the race.

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave I thought something was up with your 1,200s. Seemed slow when I finished mine and looked at your paces.

Beryl damn....2 gels for a whole marathon?!?!?!! sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettt. I'm like "1 every 45 minutes" unless it's an ultra (I've done ONE ultra) and them I'm like "eh, whenever I feel like I need one, or I'm hungry" which is apparently 2 hours.

PJ Interesting workout. Did you have to jump a fence and was it possibly just some farmers field?

I don't get the stalker reference or know who this mystery girl in Mammoth is. I'd drive there to meet Tim T. though. He seems like a funny nerd kind of guy.

Random thought of the day after Mr. Walmsley hit 64:00 for the half. Do Elites ever think "I can't be that guy because they're better than me" or something those lines, OR do they just say "I'll get better." and that's why they're elite and I'm not?

Easy run turned into "I want to run goal 5K pace for that 5K in March" which was not as hard as expected but not what I wanted. Tomorrow might be my first tempo/threshold/Strength workout if I can get home and out of the house after work. I'm unsure what kind of distance I need Saturday but I might bail for the first time because I think my RB wants to do 15-16. I'm not about that high mileage life.

Oh and apparently waking up around 3:00am is now my thing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

Brew: What's the 5k in March? What's the goal? I'm also targeting a March 5k... so far I've done one workout 💪😂 (5x1000). What kind of workouts/plan are you on (if any)?

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- tim t is a low key, cool guy

sclever- wowow every 20 min! I would hate them very quickly, at that rate. I do like every 45 minutes, until I hate them

kcam- people ran marathons off of nothing back in the day, so sometimes i wonder if we've all been subject to a marketing scam and we don't actually need it Wink

_________________________________________________
                                mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58