2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Sad sorry about the calf.

We ate at Trinity Place. (when I go to NYC for work, I'm almost always in the Financial District)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And....bumping up the thread with my week:

60 miles, 2 hours (12 "miles") of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
      M: Off. (business trip to NYC) (had good steak tartare)
      T: 10 miles easy (8:25)* plus upper body weights/core. (* - Garmin was wonky, so this was probably slightly slower and shorter than reported).
      W: 14 miles, including 3x2 miles in 12:37 (6:19/6:18), 12:34 (6:24/6:10) and 12:23 (6:13/6:10); half-mile recoveries of 5:30 after the first and 4:30 after the second (included some shoe re-tying between each rep for which I didn't pause my watch). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
      Th: DIY yoga and 2 hours of pool-running
      F: 8 miles very easy (8:55), upper body weights and core, then 4 miles very easy (8:36) plus drills and strides.
      Sa: 17 miles, including 2x5 miles in 33:24 (6:41 pace) and 33:02 (6:36 pace) with one mile float in 7:35 in between. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
      Su: 4 miles very easy (8:55), yoga, and then 3 miles very easy (8:40).

Pretty happy with my fitness right now.  Which is great, but I've also got 7 weeks to go to my marathon, and I don't want to be too fit too early.  I'm going to talk to my coach about redoing the schedule a bit to only give me two hard workouts a week, one of which will be the long run.  I think that will help me stretch this fitness out and also ensure that I stay on top of recovery.  

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

my week: (little running due to calf strain)

M: 5 easy

T: urd

W: 1h XT + weights

Th: spin

F: 1h XT

S: 1h XT + weights

S: spin

Hey to everyone.

OMR

I'll post a week for the first time in a while...

M:  Rest

T:  7.2M @ 8.27

W:  Rest

T:  11M w/4M @ 7:24

F:  Rest

S:  14M @ 9:58 on the treadmill (7 x 0.5M @ 4%, 2%, 0%, -2%)

S:  26.2M @ 8:55 on the road

Total:  58.4.  Took an extra recovery day early in the week because I overheated on last Sunday's run (wasn't paying attention to increasing humidity and paid for it).

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rovatti - This place has been a deadzone lately! Sorry about the calf issues.

DWave - Your training is looking really good these days.

OMR - Pretty nice week for having an extra rest day.

Ace - Once again, great job at Table Rock!

I had a pretty good, though tiring, week. Thanks to DD2's soccer game being in the afternoon on Saturday I was able to make the local running club group run and ended up meeting four people I had only "known" through Strava. I recognized one guy at a water stop and ran a couple faster-than-usual miles with him while we chatted (and I tried swallowing a cloud of gnats) until he got to his turnaround point, but only recognized the others by name once they introduced themselves (get a profile picture that actually shows who you are, people!).
            During my short run Sunday I was thinking "there's no way I'll be able to pull of the workout tomorrow" due to some fatigue, but ended up surprising myself. I think I'm getting to the point at which I should be able to get a really solid PR this fall, or at the very least have an excellent platform from which to PR next spring.

I'm thinking one more big week this week, then after a long-ish M effort workout next Monday I'll cut back some mileage to give myself a combo recovery week/mini taper ahead of my October race.

Random: DD3 and I were playing outside yesterday when a P-51 Mustang flew directly over our house. Supposedly there's one that lives at the small airport a few miles away - an airport at which I have exactly one successful takeoff and landing (and no unsuccessful ones!) while in the left-hand seat of a Cessna 172.

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Sep 16, 2019 thru Sunday, Sep 22, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
            Mon 15.1 7:21 20,15,10,5 minutes T, 4,3,2 minutes recovery between 149 (76%) strava
            Tue 11.8 8:13 2 owls 131 (67%) strava
            Wed 10.1 8:27 1 shooting star & 1 lightning bug 130 (66%) strava
            Thu 16.1 8:00 2E, 2T, 8E, 2T 144 (73%) strava
            Fri 10.1 8:19 The animals must all be staying out of the drizzle, even the blowie chickens 133 (68%) strava
            Sat 18.1 8:09 Meeting all the Strava people 138 (70%) strava
            Sun 2.1 8:23 And now for coffee, waffles, and bacon 127 (65%) strava
              83.4 8:02      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

These people haven't seen fight club...

https://www.outsideonline.com/2402407/orchard-street-runners-10k-unsanctioned-racing?utm_source=digg

M: 6.68 easy (weather sucks)

T: 400-1600 ladder. Scheduled to go back down to 400 but the emergency bathroom break stopped that. No TRX as the stomach still felt like garbage a long time later. 1:34, 3:05, 4:36, 6:21. First one I slowed down at the end because I was doing 6:10 pace. The mile I didn't think I'd finish, then walked behind a bush and leaned against a fence.

W: 7 easy

Th: URD (PISSED about everything, also all 3 Garmin watches not charged.)

F: 11 with 7 @ GMP. 1 Gel. Stomach was meh. Thought I could have done eight. Skipped TRX due to wedding anniversary dinner plans.

S: 15 easy

S: 10 easy

55.32 for the week. Wanted another week of 60 but the miles Tuesday and the URD ruined that. Schedule said 54 so at least I did that. Nothing says 60 means a BQ it's just a number in my head that tells me I'm doing something right. Plus I'm around 11 weeks away from race day so in my brain training needs to get REALLY serious and missed workouts, and long runs, are going to be a bigger problem. It isn't as though summer is over, fall is here and winter is coming or anything.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

Some nice training weeks on the forum! Well done.

I completed the 50k on Saturday. It went fairly well, despite a small injury and the weather was a bit warmer than expected.

Briefly, I really enjoyed the first 19 miles despite it being almost all uphill. I found a few guys/gals to run with and this made it enjoyable and the miles went by quickly. Glad I was with a group because I was in front on some single track and missed a turn, but they corrected me.

Miles 17-19 included the biggest climb and my calves and quads were feeling it, but the view was awesome! It was consistently > 25% grade which made it difficult (for me at least) to open up on the downhill. It was a very rocky and rooty trail as well.

Had some good miles from 22-24 on softer, less steep, trails and then got onto a forest service road at 24.

Mile 24.5 I rolled my right ankle. This was definitely the worst I've rolled it in a long time. I stopped and essentially walked the next 2 miles to the aid station. For a while, I wasn't sure if I'd complete the race, but really wanted to avoid a DNF. So I refueled at the station, stretched, and started walking. Got onto some grass trail and ran the flats. It was still painful, but each step got me closer to the finish, plus I knew my wife was by herself with the three kiddos during what is typically nap time, so I figured the sooner I finish the less crazy they'll be.

With about 1.5 miles to go, I actually picked up the pace a bit, just wanted to get done. My 5 year old chased me to the finish.

I was tired, sore, and nauseous, but made it in a little over 6 hours. The goal was just to finish, so at least I accomplished that. I may do an official RR at some point.

I did have an xray today since most of my ankle pain was over the bone. Luckily, no fracture, so just some rest then rehab.

Still waiting to here about the Monday race. Regardless of what happens, I'll likely re-enter the marathoning world.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - I'd love to read a full RR sometime. Hopefully your ankle heals quickly so you can get back to it. I'm still waiting on that email myself - I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't get in.

Upcoming Races:

From the Internet.

Oops I ground myself into a little bit of a rut last week. Should recover just fine though.

70 miles:

Mon - 7 easy

Tues - 12 easy, felt great

Wed - 3x mile on road with my club. 6:37, 6:25, 6:20 with ~90ish sec-2min standing rest (coaches timed the rest but I didn't record it).

Thurs - 8 miles easy

Fri - 13.25 miles with a tempo component - switchblade, one of my old faves, 3 sets of 2 miles with target paces ~7:10/6:50, 2 min recovery. 7:11/6:46, 7:05 (downhill)/6:50, 7:13 (uphill)/6:49. Bit of a side stitch in the last hard mile but at that point I just wanted to grind it out and be done.

Sat - 7 miles easy

Sun - thought I'd try for 3x3 mi MP within a 17 miler, did not go well. Effort was high right from the start, legs were willing when I got to the goal pace/effort portion but couldn't get enough air, it just felt aerobically terrible. 7:31, 23, 21; 7:32, 38 and called it there, jogged in with high heart rate. Was warm and humid but not THAT warm - Friday's workout was warmer. Thought it might be iron-related in my immediate post-workout panic and then thought it might be period-related when I had some spotting yesterday but after tons of food, a super short easy run yesterday and an effort to get some more sleep, I'm thinking it was just a bad day and a reminder to take a down week every now and then.

Had a good tempo workout with my club this morning to feel things out again (5 miles at 6:52 avg, that is technically a 5 mile PR because my race PR is from 2016, lol), planned to drop if I felt like garbage but felt good and strong again. I talked with coach afterward and my plan for this week is mostly easy miles, prioritize recovery, get in my last 20+ either over the weekend or push it to Monday. I have been so laser focused on hard training, I've forgotten that recovery is more important than I give it credit for! Luckily for me it just resulted in one bad day and not an injury.

Running Problem

Problem Child

lauren: 70 miles is a rut? WHAT?!?! Any reason the 3x2 mile was at different paces? Running by feel or effort? enjoy the recovery week. That much fast work just makes me tired sitting here.

currently pissed off at the world according to a friend. Just found out I got a bill for my wellness visit. apparently my annual wellness visit is just to talk about past issues. anything new isn't covered under a wellness exam and the PA chose NOT to tell me the information when she started talking to me about it. SO I'll add it to a list of things I'm mad at right now. Note to self: when a doctor, or lawyer, asks "what's new" it's going to cost you money if anything is new. At least lawyers are expected to screw you out of your money. Doctors are just supposed to give me opioids.

3x1600 scheduled. Should be nice and warm too. Unsure if I should switch it back to the ladder I didn't finish last week, or move on to some mile repeats.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

Brew - the rut was really just the last day of the week when I couldn't complete the workout! The pace changes are just a less boring way to get in 6 miles of roughly HMP work, I dread doing longer straight tempos on my own so it's mentally easier for me to switch it up now and then.

AceHarris

Brew: Sorry about the bill on a Wellness check. I'm familiar with that issue as a provider and kind of understand both sides of it, but we try to advise patients upfront that a well visit is for exactly that, wellness. It's a little idiotic, though, to expect someone to come to the doctor and not discuss any issues they may be having. We typically don't charge if it's something simple like a cold or something. Now if you came in with a broken arm on your wellness day, I'd say you're getting charged.  Take your aggression out on some intervals!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Wing

Joggaholic

Thought I would introduce myself. I'm new to this group although not new to RA. I'm just another runner trying to hit 3:20 this year, it's the BQ time I need. I made an attempt early this year in Houston and failed horribly. I went way too aggressive (stupid) and felt apart. Since then I have not felt like I'd gotten my speed and endurance back. Summer is hot and humid down here in TX and I'm blaming it on the weather. I have not been able to hit 3 of the 4 long run targets since I started following a training plan a month ago. I may take a shot at Dallas marathon in mid-Dec depending on how my training goes.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Wing - Welcome! Impressive run streak you've got going. How far down in TX are you? Things have been pretty warm and humid here (Central OK) as well - especially humid the last week or so, but probably not as warm as wherever you are -and it certainly does make things difficult.
                              I'm considering taking a shot at the Dallas marathon, too. Have you run it before?

Upcoming Races:

Wing

Joggaholic

I'm near Austin. I haven't run Dallas before so it'll be new to me. My long runs start at 7am and temp had been around upper 70s at the start and close to low/mid 80s by around 9am. Humidity is high, I'm always completely drenched after the run. I have had trouble maintaining the target training pace (~7:45 ish) past 9-10 miles, and the long run schedule is looking hard to achieve (coming up: 12, 18, 14, 20, 14, 20, 18, 13, 22, 16, 10, race, all at between 7:30-7:45 pace)