2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

a bunch of conspicuous-seeming social media posts from current/former NOP athletes in the past couple days. y'all, it is too late for that.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

They should probably STFU and get back to running instead of expressing their opinion of a former coach. No one wants to hear you talk sheet about a former company or coworker at your new job.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

berylrunner

Rick

Finally made the decision to race a couple of days before the marathon.   I knew I would not have the patience to run it easy.  Made a few mistakes like starting in the back.   Too much lost energy weaving, accelerating, decelerating, jumping over clothing.  Another mistake was fueling, or lack there of.  I took in 0 calories during the race.  Split the first half perfect at 1:41 and felt great until mile 22 when the legs got heavy.  Felt the time goal of 3:20 slip away and I mentally gave up.  Some cramps starting also.. Jogged and walked it in for a time of 3:24:30.  I feel good about that.  A course pr.  A future BQ shouldn't be too difficult with fueling and better training.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Running Problem

Problem Child

Why didn’t you fuel during a race?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

berylrunner

Rick

Just experimenting.   Yes, I hit the wall, but looking at my paces it wasn't as bad as it seemed.   The fatigue could have been from the lack of training or work this last week.  On the positive side, no bathroom breaks, no bloating,  no stomach problems,  no gu vurps,  no coated teeth, no carrying anything. no sticky hands, no littering.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Beryl - congrats!  I take it you'll fuel in the next?

And...maybe now that worlds are done, the thread will pick up?

My week:

70 miles, "21 miles" of pool-running, and 1000 yards of swimming
              M: 8 miles (9:03), 6 "miles" of pool-running, and upper body weights/core.
              T: 14 miles, including a track workout of 2x1600, 4x800 in 6:10, 5:59, 2:57, 2:58, 2:57 (recoveries of 4:39, 4:30 after the 1600s; recoveries after the 800s were between 2:17 and 2:25. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
              W: 6 miles very easy (9:08), drills+strides, yoga, and then 3 miles very easy (8:24), followed by 3 "miles" poolrunning.
              Th: Upper body weights/core, and 12 "miles" of pool-running.
              F: 8 miles very easy (8:48), yoga, then 4 miles very easy (8:29) plus drills and strides.
              Sa: 17 miles, including 2x5 miles at marathon effort
              - first 5 in 32:59 (6:36 pace - 6:37/6:28/6:43/6:35/6:36)
              - 1 mile float in 7:38
              - second 5 in 32:45 (6:33 pace - 6:34/6:36/6:35/6:29/6:31)
              Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.
              Su: 6 miles very easy (8:58), yoga, and then 4 miles very easy (8:29), followed by drills and strides.

Two more long runs before Indy Monumental on November 9 - a 21 miler next Saturday, and then 13.1 miles at half-marathon effort the weekend after that (i.e. the Columbus half-marathon).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

From the Internet.

First taper week done! I don't like to do anything too drastic the first week, just cut a few miles but otherwise kept the schedule the same. 63.2 miles.

Mon - 10.2 miles easy

Tues - 6.6 miles easy

Wed - club track - 1600, 800, 1600, 800; 6:27, 3:07, 6:22, 3:06

Thurs - 5.3 miles easy

Fri - 10+ with 6 MP right into 1 T. Averaged 7:28 for the MP, legs were willing but lungs felt yucky; 6:55 for the T mile, finishing into a headwind because of course, lol.

Sat - 8 easy with local friend, didn't really want to run that many but we started off super conservative and then felt great by 6 or so.

Sun - 16 mile long and opposite of Friday, lungs were ready to roll but legs were toast. 8:05 average and managed my last mile in 7:32 but with HR ~10 bpm lower for that mile than Friday's early MP miles, lol. Gonna be a wild taper! Actual goal pace will just be whatever happens at the right effort level on race day and I'm completely at peace with that. I'm positive sub-3:20 will be a pretty safe goal if conditions are good, sub-3:15 should be pretty reasonable, and then maybe NYCM qualifying (sub 3:13) if I have a totally spectacular day.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Beryl - Pretty darn good for a marathon with no fuel and not-ideal training.

DWave - It certainly has been quiet around here lately. Nice week.

Lauren - How're you feeling during the taper so far? I like the "goal pace is whatever the effort results in" approach.

My half went pretty well this weekend. It was warmer than I wanted (~72) and was slightly foggy before sunrise ahead of the race, but even so conditions were FAR better than they were last year. Went out right on target effort (on the HM side of between M and HM effort for the first 10mi) and had a guy blow my me in the first 1/8 mi. I figured the big hills outside of town would end up bringing him back to me. He was 20 seconds ahead at the first mile, and a minute ahead at mile 6.5. Mile 10 put us back on a road leading straight into town (most of the race is in the country outside of the town) and against the wind. I picked up the effort all I could and watched the distance between us shrink, but ran out of real estate in which to catch the guy. I ended up 18 seconds behind him, 2nd OA yet again at this race. Aside from once again not winning this one, I'm pretty happy with the effort. This was just 9 seconds slower than my best time on this course - but the temperature was about 37 degrees warmer than it was during my fastest year (it was held at the end of October then).

On to the DRC half!

ETA:

Monday, Sep 30, 2019 thru Sunday, Oct 06, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                  Mon 10.5 8:32 1 exploding meteor and 1 rabbit 140 (74%) strava
                  Tue 15.6 7:46 6E, 8M 149 (78%) strava
                  Wed 8.1 8:30 1 rabbit 133 (70%) strava
                  Thu 7.1 8:12 This was ridiculous - Watopia 126 (66%) strava
                  Fri 6.3 8:13 Finally the young, fast(ish) guy in the age group again. 130 (68%) strava
                  Sat 1.3 7:45 Warming up 139 (73%) strava
                  Sat 13.1 6:48 Wurst Race Half - 1:29:18 chip 165 (87%) strava
                  Sat 1.0 8:33 I need to find an old German woman to teach me to dance a polka 141 (74%) strava
                  Sun 2.2 8:13 Crisp 123 (65%) strava
                    65.2 7:55

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

beryl no bathroom breaks or stomach pains are good. I still remember my first half and full marathon where I didn't have to carry anything. It was this eye opening experience and felt like I was invited into a cool kids club where I just had my meals handed to me. I dont' forget wearing my water bottle belt with front pouch in 2015 for my marathons.

Biggest week in the books. Second biggest week ever (glad I didn't know that). 10 miles more than I ever thought I'd run this cycle. Felt great every morning that I can think of. Maybe this whole "marathon training builds on itself" and "cross training will help make you a better runner" thing is actually working. I should really start listening to other people's advice and stop doing things my way.

M: 7.83 easy

Tu: 9.66 mi ladder. Thought I'd vomit about 1/2 mile from home. Skipped TRX because it never settled down and the thought of a plank just made me want to vomit more. Ate a pint of Halo ice cream and stayed up too late because I couldn't sleep. Ladder (400-1600-400) with recovery being close to 100% of the interval run time. 95, 3:06, 4:37, 6:15, 4:38, 3:06, 93. Still going off feel and it FEELS like 168+ HR gets uncomfortable however; I considered this workout a success after 4 days off due to a cough/sickness/being drugged up on Dayquill.

W: 6.5 easy

Th: 8 at GMP*. 2 mi warm up/3 mile cool down. 6:50, 6:58, 6:52, 6:52, 6:51, 6:53, 6:52, 6:46. Headwind in a few spots was a mental barrier and I had to tell myself I was only done with the first 1/3 of a mile and had 2/3 I could change the number on the screen, along with going by feel and building mental tolerance. Gel before the run started and again around 45:00 (I think. no note). I actually didn't think this would be possible, and I was done with the workout so early I tacked on an extra cool down mile so I could shorten the weekend runs. This actually felt a little better than doing 7 miles. In the middle of the run I was realizing I did this at a 7:20 pace about 2 years ago and it was just as challenging. For real....if this IS marathon pace I'm a little scared.

Fr: 7.5 easy

Sa: 15 pushing a stroller around town and testing out new winter gear. NeRP wasn't happy after about 30 minutes, then wasn't happy he was going to fall asleep in the stroller. I wasn't happy I got a flat in a brand new tube because of the 1/2 mile of dirt trail I ran. Maybe I need new TIRES that are thicker than goatheads. At least I got to show my wife how to change the tube. I doubt she'll need to do it herself at some point. #dadlife.

Su: realized I had 59.6 and figured I'd just go for 80....I mean 70. Better weather, friend to run with, and no stroller to push. Somehow stopped my Garmin at 1:31:00 at the end of the 10.50 mile run.

TOTAL

70.1 miles

This still seems like a lot of running, and I did it without (what feels like) much extra effort. Oh and I FINALLY got the passenger window on the Jeep to roll down AND up. Turns out the two or three people who told me to check the switch were right. Driver switch was bad and putting in a working one returned function...so maybe I'll stick with not thinking about it and just doing it.

VDOT 53.37 

From the Internet.

Keen - my husband says I'm walking around like a normal person instead of hobbling like a little old lady, so I guess taper is going well so far, lol! Running feels roughly the same still - I'd been feeling surprisingly good most days for how much work I was putting in - but I expect I'll have some extra spring in my step by the weekend, and then next week will be showing restraint and keeping it short/easy most days.

Wing

Joggaholic

I'm contemplating either Dallas on 12/15 or BCS on 12/08. I've heard BCS has a faster course.

My long run on Sat was 18mi and at 8:15 pace it was hard near the end but manageable (not a sufferfest). I'll need 2min of margin for BQ and that'll push my target marathon pace down to 7:33. Race is 2 months away and I have yet to run anything at that pace for over 6 miles, mentally that doesn't sit well with me. I'm looking forward to this weekend when the cold front comes in so I can see how big/small a difference the lower temp will make.

Running Problem

Problem Child

wing: Go do a 6 - 8 mile run at that pace with a 2-6 mile warm up followed by a cool down. Two months is a long time. You're doing enough weekly mileage this shouldn't be a problem. You could probably do it during the week and still get a 15+ mile long run in. Just remember 2021 is going to be the 125th so there might be MORE people aiming to get into Boston so the 2 minutes might not be enough.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Lauren - ditto the others on the thumbs up for your race mentality.  How do tapers normally go for you - i.e. is the toasted legs normal?  (I've heard that's the case for some).

CK - that half does show great improvement.  I'd be pretty happy with that.

Brewing - I agree that the GMP workout shows considerable improvement over the years.

Wing - what is BCS?  Not familiar with that race.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

From the Internet.

DW - yeah toasted legs is pretty normal for me at this point. I don't like to drop volume too much early on, so the first half or so of a 3 week taper for me usually has me feeling kind of up and down from one day to the next; it's mostly the long and MLRs that see a volume reduction. Should be feeling great by next week though!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - yeah toasted legs is pretty normal for me at this point. I don't like to drop volume too much early on, so the first half or so of a 3 week taper for me usually has me feeling kind of up and down from one day to the next; it's mostly the long and MLRs that see a volume reduction. Should be feeling great by next week though!

Got it - makes sense.

I'll have toasted legs too, two weeks out.  Because I'll have raced a half three weeks out....   I always seem to freshen up that last week.