2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

From the Internet.

pj that's a super cool experience! I don't know that I'm ready for a race like that anytime soon, but someday I'd love to give it a shot (maybe I'll start with some more low-key orienteering stuff first though).

Just a couple more days!! Dress rehearsal/sharpener workout yesterday was encouraging - borrowed from a friend whose training is somewhat similar to mine only better, lol. Warmup and then 2 miles MP, 1 HMP, 0.5 10K, 0.25 5K with a little jog recovery in between the pace changes. 7:18/7:15, 6:49, 6:37 pace, 6:20 pace. Not changing the plan - still running by effort and going to go out with 3:20, but I'm feeling very good about my odds for 3:15 now.

kcam

DWave - So, maybe a 1.5-2 week taper, race it all out, then maybe a week of easy miles afterwards?
      Perhaps cut off a few miles per run later this week, then 70-75% (including race) for race week sound good? Or just a one week taper to 70-75% peak?
      Then for the week after a couple "shorter" than usual runs, then back to usual mileage but with maybe one light workout later in the week?

I would not taper 1.5-2 weeks for a half (especially a half that is not THE goal).  I'd train normally including whatever my normally scheduled Sunday long run was and then start tapering mileage for a next-Sunday race.  I'd do zero hard running, just some strides one or two days making sure one of those days was the day before the race, after that last Sunday long run.  That's just how I would and have done it in the past.  I'm assuredly a different runner than you but that's my opinion.  BTW, CK, your log here isn't open - I'd love to take a look at it.

Running Problem

Problem Child

So....the interesting thing is the down week after means you’ll have one or two weeks of hard runs before tapering for the marathon. I’d think a 5-7 day taper would work for the half, then the usual “day per 3K “ recovery that Jmac typically does...which would be like 7 days. Umm maybe shorten that to 5 and do a long run 7 days after the race.

DWave - So, maybe a 1.5-2 week taper, race it all out, then maybe a week of easy miles afterwards?
        Perhaps cut off a few miles per run later this week, then 70-75% (including race) for race week sound good? Or just a one week taper to 70-75% peak?
        Then for the week after a couple "shorter" than usual runs, then back to usual mileage but with maybe one light workout later in the week?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Sorry - I missed all this before.

CK - when I run a half during marathon training (like I'm doing now) I do a one week taper,  I usually move my long run on the previous weekend to Saturday to give me one more day of recovery.  Then taper down that week.

After, a week of just easy running seems excessive to me, unless it's the end of your season.  I usually take it easy the first few days after, and then if I'm not feeling terribly achy, do something like 3200, 1600 or 2x3200 at tempo effort.  And do a long run that following weekend.  It takes me 10 days or more to fully recover from a half, but that doesn't mean I don't train during those 10 days - I just accept that since I'm still tired, my paces will be a bit slower, and that's fine.

Lauren - Good luck this weekend!!

Ace - if you happen to stop by, any tips or thoughts on Columbus?  I'm doing the half, which is the first half of the marathon you did 2 years ago, IIRC.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks again for all the input, everyone!

kcam - Log should be open now.

Lauren - Good luck! Tracking info?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

AceHarris

dwave: As you may remember I blew up in Columbus 2 years ago. With that said I still enjoyed it and thought it was well organized and competitive! The first half of the course is mostly flat as I remember it. The hills were in the back half. I think mile 12 or 13 had a gradual climb. A lot of long straights on the first half. Like 2-3 miles! If weather is good, it’s a solid half to race.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Lauren - Have you run Baystate before?  I've run both the full and the half with good results.

Gentle rollers, loop course, medium-sized, minimal hassles, well-organized, usually good (cool) weather.

GOOD LUCK!!!

From the Internet.

Thanks folks! I am excited! Big grin

Tracking here: https://www.baystatemarathon.com/phone/runner-tracking-spectator-info.html I don't have my bib number yet, last name Dobson.

Rovatti - yup, was my first full marathon in 2016 (not a great day for me though) and is still my current half marathon PR from last fall! I keep thinking I should branch out and run different races but Baystate is just too good, lol.

berylrunner

Rick

Have a great race Lauren.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

kcam

Have a great race Lauren.

Ditto!

Be confident come race morning because you really have put in the work!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Go get it Lauren. Hard work is about to pay off.

im signed up for a turkey trot 10k. It is 9 days before CIM and on the same day I’d do my last Marathon specific workout. My last 10K was used for determining training paces for Chicago 2018 and my notes say I felt like puking the whole time. I might consider racing this for a PR and my final workout. I’ll have something like 6x 1 miles as a workout two days before this 10K. My goal this year isn’t a PR in the 10k.

What are the benefits of racing a 10k at the start of a taper for a marathon?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

From the Internet.

3:13:15 net time! Stomach was a little iffy so I had to manage it carefully - SUPER SUPER happy with my race though!! Go scope my splits in my log! Big grin

Whoa!  VERY nice. Big CONGRATS!!!

kcam

Lauren, NICE! A negative splitter with the last two miles significantly under average pace and the last itty bit had a bit of a kick left.  Your training has you way up on strength,.  Congrats.

Brewing- one thing I always liked about CIM is that you can do a final tune-up race (10K) 10 days out from it via a Turkey Trot.  I always raced the SiValley TT all out before COM and it gave me confidence.  I'm signed up for both again this year though I may defer CIM to next year.

Did a 16 Mile long run starting in Pacific Grove running south to 17 mile drive then on 17 mile drive for about 4 miles before turning around.  My wife was photo'ing the Monterey Bay Triathlon this AM so we had to be there at 6:15AM.  Did my long run from there. No one out there that early and it was absolutely gorgeous!  Few if any cars.   Invigorating run.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Congratulations, Lauren!  That's wonderful.  And your splits are lovely.