I know the answer, I just need to hear it... (Read 380 times)

BigDaddyJoe

Holding back at the beginning of a race goes against every instinct I have.  I feel like if I don't take advantage of fresh legs while I have them, I won't be able to recoup that time later in the race, and it will be wasted.  I know that is wrong, and holding back will enable me to have a more consistent race and have something left in the tank at the end, but my mind always tells me otherwise.  So go ahead, yell at me and call me an idiot, and tell me why I've got it all wrong...

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

HermosaBoy

What distance race are we talking about?  Are you going for time or are you racing specific individuals?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

BigDaddyJoe

What distance race are we talking about?  Are you going for time or are you racing specific individuals?

I'm just talking in general, even a 5K.  I am currently training for my first marathon, but have done 2 half marathons so far.  I don't race individuals, just try to get my best possible time.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

Well, if you start to fast in a 5K, the worst that will  happen is you'll slow down the last 1.0 to 1.5 miles, maybe losing 30s or so on your over-all time. If you do that in a marathon, you could easily go from running say 7 min miles to 9+ min miles, or even a walk to the finish.  In the marathon, proper pacing is one of the most important aspects to the race. No amount of fuel is going to over-come bad pacing.  Most of us have been there and done that.  In the marathon, your best best is to run even or close to even splits, assuming that you want to run your best time. Just know the first 10 miles are going to feel super easy, and you have to resist the urge to pick up the pace and bank time.

I'm just talking in general, even a 5K.  I am currently training for my first marathon, but have done 2 half marathons so far.  I don't race individuals, just try to get my best possible time.

HermosaBoy

In the marathon, your best best is to run even or close to even splits, assuming that you want to run your best time. Just know the first 10 miles are going to feel super easy, and you have to resist the urge to pick up the pace and bank time.

This...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

npaden

It does seem somewhat counter-intuitive, but once you get it figured out you will be amazed at all the folks you end up passing in the last half of the race that started out with a jack rabbit start and petered out.

I think all of my PRs have been negative splits.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

an amazing likeness

It is well proven that the fastest race times come from a slight negative split -- running the second half faster than the first half.

The time you may 'bank' for a few miles early on will cost you over many more miles at the end.

Let's just look at this with some possible data, using a 1/2 marathon. You feel good at the start, so you run the opening 5 miles at 10 sec/mile faster than your goal pace. You've banked 50 seconds.  Then in the last 5K, you're hurting and you give up 10 sec/mile for 1mi, then 15 sec/mile for the next and then 20 sec/mile as you finish --- you've now given back 55 seconds. Your banking time did nothing for you.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

BigDaddyJoe

It is well proven that the fastest race times come from a slight negative split -- running the second half faster than the first half.

The time you may 'bank' for a few miles early on will cost you over many more miles at the end.

Let's just look at this with some possible data, using a 1/2 marathon. You feel good at the start, so you run the opening 5 miles at 10 sec/mile faster than your goal pace. You've banked 50 seconds.  Then in the last 5K, you're hurting and you give up 10 sec/mile for 1mi, then 15 sec/mile for the next and then 20 sec/mile as you finish --- you've now given back 55 seconds. Your banking time did nothing for you.

Now THAT makes sense!  I'm a numbers guy, and this sums it up perfectly for me.  Thanks!

MoBramExam

Run your training runs (tempos and intervals) in this manner.  By race day, you will be confident that negative / even is the way to go.

npaden

Now THAT makes sense!  I'm a numbers guy, and this sums it up perfectly for me.  Thanks!

Except he added the numbers wrong.  In that scenario you would actually end up 5 seconds ahead banking time.

In reality though, banking time very rarely, almost never works.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

mikeymike

Banking time only works if your "goal pace" is slower than your actual fitness.

In milktruck's scenario, if goal pace = actual fitness, then running 5-10 seconds per mile faster in the first half would result in a spectacular blow up that would start well before the 10 mile mark and would involve giving back a LOT more than 55 seconds in the last 5k. It would probably involve some walking.

In fact if goal pace = actual fitness then it's probably impossible to run 10 seconds faster per mile for 10 miles. Your 10-mile race pace should only be 7-8 seconds per mile faster than your half marathon race pace.

Runners run

npaden

Same half marathon course.  1 year apart.

First year I paced a little too conservatively probably.  Ended up with a pretty big negative split.

GPS Interval<button>Manual Laps</button>

TypeDistanceDurationElapsed TimePaceNotes
                          1 Manual 6.59 mi 52:35.04 52:35.04 7:59  
                          2 Manual 6.59 mi 51:00.96 1:43:36 7:45

Second year I went out too fast.

1 Manual 6.59 mi 50:51.48 50:51.48 7:44  
                          2 Manual 6.59 mi 53:31.19 1:44:22.67 8:08

Splitting it up into 3.3 mile segments you can see it even clearer.

First year.

1 Manual 3.3 mi 25:40.79 25:40.79 7:47  
                          2 Manual 3.3 mi 26:58.37 52:39.16 8:11  
                          3 Manual 3.3 mi 25:52.17 1:18:31.33 7:51  
                          4 Manual 3.28 mi 25:04.67 1:43:36 7:40

Second year.

1 Manual 3.3 mi 24:53.48 24:53.48 7:33  
                          2 Manual 3.3 mi 26:02.63 50:56.10 7:54  
                          3 Manual 3.3 mi 25:43.69 1:16:39.79 7:48  
                          4 Manual 3.29 mi 27:51.21 1:44:31 8:29

Last 3 miles each year.

First year:

11 Manual 1 mi 8:02.49 1:27:19.35 8:03  
                          12 Manual 1 mi 7:39.98 1:34:59.33 7:40  
                          13 Manual 1 mi 7:27.67 1:42:27 7:28  
                          14 Manual 0.18 mi 1:08.100 1:43:36 6:31

Second year:

11 Manual 1 mi 8:00.01 1:25:22.72 8:01  
                          12 Manual 1 mi 8:28.67 1:33:51.39 8:29  
                          13 Manual 1 mi 9:12.28 1:43:03.67 9:13  
                          14 Manual 0.19 mi 1:27.33 1:44:31

7:42

Pretty classic example.  I really think if I had paced better I would have for sure at least not blown up like I did the second year.

Feeling the growl again

Holding back at the beginning of a race goes against every instinct I have.  I feel like if I don't take advantage of fresh legs while I have them, I won't be able to recoup that time later in the race, and it will be wasted.  I know that is wrong, and holding back will enable me to have a more consistent race and have something left in the tank at the end, but my mind always tells me otherwise.  So go ahead, yell at me and call me an idiot, and tell me why I've got it all wrong...

YOU'RE AN IDIOT, and you've got it all wrong.

Well, unless you are running the 800m, and in that case you're doing great.

You're welcome.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Don't listen to these pussies. Go out as hard and as fast as you can in the marathon. Bask in your glory for the first 3-5 miles.

You people have issues 

Don't listen to these pussies. Go out as hard and as fast as you can in the marathon. Bask in your glory for the first 3-5 miles.

Yeah, it worked great for this guy!

Dave