Trying to cut down my routine before a morning run (Read 448 times)

I, also, do not make it a point to eat before morning runs.  If I was well fed the day before, I'll just have some water/juice before the run. If not, and I feel like my energy level might get low after a couple hours of running, I will eat a bananana beforehand. Anything over 2 hours and I bring my breakfast with me to eat. Usually a granola bar about halfway through the run.

I will just get up and head out the door if I'm doing 45 minutes or less.  Longer than that and I need to have a cup of coffee and wait 30-45 minutes for things to proceed before heading out.  I live in a suburban/rural area where public facilities are few and far between, but even trails are just busy enough you don't want to have to hide behind a bush.

My solution has been to make that 30-45 minutes my primary chore time.  I empty the dishwasher, put away a load of laundry, clean the cat box, etc.  I've found chores are much less annoying when I'm not really awake.  Doesn't get me out the door faster (unless the walking around helps...) but gives me less to do in the evening so I can get to bed earlier.

And I thought I was the only one that did this.  That morning window before running is a very productive time.  Plus it gives the system time to wake up.

My solution has been to make that 30-45 minutes my primary chore time.  I empty the dishwasher, put away a load of laundry, clean the cat box, etc.  I've found chores are much less annoying when I'm not really awake.  Doesn't get me out the door faster (unless the walking around helps...) but gives me less to do in the evening so I can get to bed earlier.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

You need to hurry up, get out the door, and run where you can drop trou and blow mud if the Mighty Deuce does come-a-callin.  That could mean running in the woods, or having your loop double back past your house around mile 2 or so.

Eat less and skip the wait after eating, or skip the eating altogether,esp if you plan on running hard.  I once ran 4 miles to pizza joint, got the lunch special, and ran back.  I'm not saying it was smart, I'm just saying you really don't need to wait.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

30 minutes max.  Bathroom, clothes, swallow of water, socks & shoes, out the door.  Sometimes I hit the snooze button, and that leaves me only 20 minutes.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Awesome, everyone. Thank you. I'm gonna try some new routines.

I got into the pre-run eating habit probably from some article I read somewhere, and only after I ramped up my training for the marathon. Prior to my marathon training, I didn't eat much - or anything - before my runs. I thought I needed the nutrition for the longer, harder runs of marathon training. Going to try some other routines. Thanks.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

bhearn

I don't drink coffee -- it takes me a few hours to "clear out the system". Thus, I run in the afternoon. Races, I get up 3 hours before.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I run fasted. (still working on fast)

If suspicious, I start with a 2-mile loop that goes past my house before setting out.

Liz

pace sera, sera

RunNow

Just what everyone wants on Friday afternoon'. A thread about how bunch of middle age men birth their turds before running.

Just what everyone wants on Friday afternoon'. A thread about how bunch of middle age men birth their turds before running.

what's so special about Friday afternoon?

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Awesome.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

bap

Use Metamucil regularly.

It helps package the deal.

Certified Running Coach
                          Crocked since 2013

ebiss

Awesome, everyone. Thank you. I'm gonna try some new routines.

I got into the pre-run eating habit probably from some article I read somewhere, and only after I ramped up my training for the marathon. Prior to my marathon training, I didn't eat much - or anything - before my runs. I thought I needed the nutrition for the longer, harder runs of marathon training. Going to try some other routines. Thanks.

I never eat before my morning runs, especially my long runs. I'm typically out the door 10 minutes after my feet hit the floor. Running on empty teaches your body how to run with depleted glycogen stores which will come in handy during the last few miles of a marathon. Train empty, race full.

Feeling the growl again

what's so special about Friday afternoon?

I could show you, but then eric Smile would get a nasty-gram from Google Ads.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Poop before you go to bed. Drink a bit less coffee in the morning. You can always have more when you get back.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.