Trying to cut down my routine before a morning run (Read 448 times)

some call me Tim

It's not something I do all of the time, but if you really need to eat- sometimes I get up a couple hours early and eat some random stuff from the fridge and then go back to sleep for a couple more hours. If it affects the run, I can't tell, but morning alertness is not my strong suit.

I get up at 5.30am grab a coffee and piece of toast and honey, do the toilet thing and head out the door at 6am.

After 2 miles I need the toilet again so my running route is planned around a public toilet.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I get up at 5.30am grab a coffee and piece of toast and honey, do the toilet thing and head out the door at 6am.

After 2 miles I need the toilet again so my running route is planned around a public toilet.

I've since found two public park toilets along the start of many of my routes (1 mile mark, 3 mile mark), and so far they have been open when needed.

That being said, after a whole training cycle of eating before my workouts, running without eating is taking a little getting used to. It certainly cuts down on the time I spend in my pre-workout routine, but I am feeling a shift in my energy during my workouts. I'm going to give it some time, though, since change in diet, just getting back into running post-marathon, and the increasing morning heat/humidity are all factors that are affecting how I feel on my workouts.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

I don't eat prior to a run of 1.5 hours or less - and sometimes not for longer runs.  Therefore I am up, dressed and out the door in approx 10 - 15 minutes.

Ready, go.

Wow, all the morning routine stuff from 75 min to 15 min. I'm around  45 min. out the door. I wake up, get some booty, coffee up, drop a duece and hit the road. SOMETIMES, i forego the coffee.

oddly enuf, if it's any distance half marathon or less, I do nothing.  sometimes I even sleep in my running clothes so I don't have to deal with that.  I might drink a glass of water and my system….  "functions" almost immediately.  longer distances, well, I might have coffee and half a bagel and take some TP with me…...

Tammarin.....

SillyC

Are we talking about pooping?

Yeah, I hate running in the mornings.  I mean, I like it because it sets my day up really well. But then I hate it because if I get out early enough, I'll have to poop 5 miles in.  And there I am out in the dark and the cold and I can smell all the people waking and baking, with their hot coffee and warm toilets and I'm all, "I must really hate myself.".

RunNow

Chicks talking about crapping and sleeping in running clothes. Sexy.

All the people waking and baking.......Where do you live... Colorado.

SillyC

All the people waking and baking.......Where do you live... Colorado.

Worcester, MA, manfromnantucket.  But you'd be surprised at how many people wake and bake and then go to real jobs.  I used to live in New Jersey, in an area where there were a lot of bankers that took the train into NYC.  I'd run at 5:30 AM and see people walking down to the train to manhattan, in expensive suits, just smokin a damn joint walking down the street.

That's what's up, wakin' and bakin'.-I smoke two joints in the morning
                        I smoke two joints at night,
                        I smoke two joints in the afternoon
                        and it makes me feel alright
                        I smoke two joints in time of peace
                        and two in time of war
                        smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
                        and then I smoke two more

yeah thats what i do, hey

A little old school Bob Marley for ya. Smoke 2 joints, youtube it, it's a good jam. Imma smoke a doobie a little later, gotta little minx coming over.

bap

I do my early morning runs the night before 

Certified Running Coach
                          Crocked since 2013

RunNow

I think she's talking about baking a loaf, dudes.

Zam

I thought loaves were pinched and not baked. Running baked can be interesting. Running in the morning is bewildering. Go Wormtown!

npaden

I saw this come back up to the top and remembered the Sienfield episode where Kramer was trying to cut down his shower time from over an hour by watching other people and how they took a shower.  Was actually a pretty funny episode.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)