Running in the cold (Read 988 times)

Krisruns

I am new to this site (a CR refugee) and needed to share that I ran in the coldest weather ever this morning. Temp was 7 degrees and windchill at 5 below. I managed to dress well and had a blast! Much better than running on the treadmill. Great way to start the day! Anyone else take a cold run today? How many layers do you wear and what do you wear on your head? Thanks!
      Welcome Kris! My run this AM was cold.... 3°F thankfully there was no wind chill today. I wore a long sleeve base layer, then another layer for warmth (Brooks Vapor™-Dry 2 1/2 Zip), finally a jacket to break the wind. I wore winter tights (that were not quite warm enough for today) Almost forgot the most important piece..... Wind Brief to protect the boys. On my hands I had a thin pair of gloves. A warm hat for my head (that wicked water away). There you go..... nothing special. Jason
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kris, I had a run just like that last Winter...the windchill was -5, but the sun was shining and it wasn't actually too windy. It felt better than runs I had done with warmer actual air temps, but higher winds...me no likey winds. So far I think the coldest run I have had this year is with windchill ~10, but it's just early Jan., so within the next few weeks I think some <0 runs will be in the cards. during really cold runs i generally will wear silkweight long undies under my med. weight pants. on my feet med. weight smartwool socks, heavier weight wicking gloves. in the past i have worn a hat and still had a cold neck and face, so this year i have a couple of balaclavas that i plan to use. on top i will wear a silkweight top, a fleece top over that, and then a windbreaker. works pretty well. k runs="" will="" be="" in="" the="" cards.="" during="" really="" cold="" runs="" i="" generally="" will="" wear="" silkweight="" long="" undies="" under="" my="" med.="" weight="" pants.="" on="" my="" feet="" med.="" weight="" smartwool="" socks,="" heavier="" weight="" wicking="" gloves.="" in="" the="" past="" i="" have="" worn="" a="" hat="" and="" still="" had="" a="" cold="" neck="" and="" face,="" so="" this="" year="" i="" have="" a="" couple="" of="" balaclavas="" that="" i="" plan="" to="" use.="" on="" top="" i="" will="" wear="" a="" silkweight="" top,="" a="" fleece="" top="" over="" that,="" and="" then="" a="" windbreaker.="" works="" pretty="" well.=""></0 runs will be in the cards. during really cold runs i generally will wear silkweight long undies under my med. weight pants. on my feet med. weight smartwool socks, heavier weight wicking gloves. in the past i have worn a hat and still had a cold neck and face, so this year i have a couple of balaclavas that i plan to use. on top i will wear a silkweight top, a fleece top over that, and then a windbreaker. works pretty well. k>

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My husband ran outside yesterday, this was his first experience with running in below freezing temps. He wore just a baseball cap on his head, sweat pants, a sweat shirt and no gloves. When I got home from work 40 minutes after he had finished his 3 mile run, his ears were still BRIGHT red. He learned a lesson. He said that his ears and face literally hurt when the wind was full force on him.

Michelle

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

At that temp: a hat thin hi tech gloves under cotton gloves short sleeve hi tech T + long sleeve hi tech fleece running shirt. + jacket. mug + tights + running pants std socks / shoes

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

btb1490

Welcome to winter running! It's getting out the door that is usually the hardest part! Not really related to what you were asking, but one of the best pieces of equipment I got for myself for winter running wasn't clothing. It was a home weather station. At a quick glance, I can see the temp, the wind direction and speed, the windchill. From that I can figure out how to dress and what direction to run in, without even having to poke my head out the door. Here's to many more frosty runs!
                My run last night was pretty cold. I wore thermals with wind pants, longsleeve tech shirt with a fleece vest, knit hat, light gloves and smartwool socks and my standard running shoes. I think the temp was @ 15 F, probably below 10 with the windchill.
                Mishka-old log

I have nothing to add to the topic of discussion, but pjm9277's username freaks me out. I thought it might be your initials and birthdate, but checked your profile and saw you must have been born in 1975 or 1976. Anyway, my initials and birthdate are pjm10277!
                    Wow. We had a cold snap in Florida and I was whining because the windchill took the temps into the 20s. That was hard enough for me. I can't imagine below zero. Bring back the 60 degree lows we were having last week!
                    mikeymike

What I wore today in 2F temps with -17F windchills: Head: xc ski hat (with tassle!) Upper: short sleeve tech t, under long sleve tech shirt, under wind jacket Lower: champion boxer briefs, under tights, under "loose tights" Feet: standard running socks and shoes Hands: glove liners under cotton gardening gloves

Runners run

VictorN

Great job getting out there Kris. Getting out the door is the hard part. Today's pre-dawn run was -3F, 5-10MPH winds, and light snow. Here's what I wore: Fleece balaclava Poly LS t-shirt Thin fleece upper Wind jacket Thick wool mittens Mid-weight long underwear Light running pants Slightly thicker than normal socks Screw Shoes for the hard-packed snow and ice. Victor

Dave

And up until this point, I thought I was running in the cold (30F w/ 20F windchill) Shocked For what its worth: Light gloves Knit Cap Tights with compression shorts Long Sleeve Tech t-shirt Light Shell You guys are hard core. I hate the treadmill but not quite that much.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Krisruns

Thanks for the clothing thoughts. Think I am on the right track. I wear a balaclava and swear by it, but also know I look a little weird with it on. Glad to know others do the same.
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sigh, I'm a wimp. -6 degrees F, -18 degree windchill. I just couldn't do it. Went to the Y instead. Cry

If its really cold, I'll wear briefs and tights. On my torso I tend to wear a singlet or technical shirt, then a short or long sleeve technical shirt, and then a bright yellow or red pullover so that I'm visible. Works out well. On my head I usually go with a headband, although since Christmas I've been using my new running cap. Whatever's on the head usually comes off eventually.
                                Sigh, I'm a wimp. -6 degrees F, -18 degree windchill. I just couldn't do it. Went to the Y instead. Cry
                                I went running at lunch time, 5 degrees, -11 windchill. I was perfectly comfortable (especially when the wind wasn't hitting me) but I tweaked my calf so I turned back. It then proceeded to stretch out so I did a little exploring in some neighborhoods that I wasn't familiar with. Got about 3 miles instead of the usual 5. Tomorrow will be warmer.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)