Counterfeit Bibs (Read 459 times)

mikeymike

I've got to imagine the press shitstorm will be a learning experience for these kids.

This is pretty much my take.

You wouldn't believe how NOT worked up I am about this.

However, it's worth pointing out that there is no logical connection between running a marathon and raising money for charity. Anyone who truly just wants to raise money for charity is obviously free to do so--start hitting up all your friends, co-workers, neighbors, strangers, whatever and pitch your cause. It's hard work.

The charities affiliated with the Boston Marathon offer you the experience of running the Boston Marathon, in return for you agreeing to raise a quota for charity. It's a win/win kind of thing. You get something you want and the charities get something they want.

But if you're not officially in the Boston Marathon then there is nothing of value in trade and you're just stealing the experience and saying, essentially, "But it's okay that I stole the Boston Marathon because in other areas of my life I'm actually a good person and I do good things."

Sorry, no.

Runners run

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'm curious - for those of you that ran - were there any "traditional" bibless bandits out there running the race ?

Just wondering if these idiots resorted to creating fake bibs to circumvent the increased security that was talked about, so they wouldn't get kicked off the course for not having a bib.

Not that there's anything right with that.

mikeymike

I have no idea. I've never seen a bandit in 6 times running Boston.

Runners run

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

So what is they really did? Did they torture kittens or puppies?  Did they sell angel dust to grade-schoolers?  Did they steal someone's favorite pair of running shoes?  Did they do anything "illegal"?  Did they prevent any "legitimate runner" from running, getting a medal (everyone gets a fawking medal), drinking Gatorade or kissing a girl or 20 at Wellesley?  Unethical, okay maybe.

Personally I'd like to find the persons involved in posting these pictures online with the direct intent of "calling them out" and snap a picture every time they did something illegal or immoral.  But, I'm afraid my hard drive would fill up within a few weeks.

I'll chalk this up to faux rage.

You people have issues 

xhristopher

The FBI just called and told me I'm creeping them out and to stop it. I'm a little embarrassed to have wasted time figuring this out and finding more. It was just a puzzle and challenge of sorts to entertain me at the end of the week. I'm suprised we haven't seen more in the press. It wasn't hard to piece together and verify what was going on with the 4 that got the most press.

I'd like to think this will serve as a deterrent for next year but know that it probably won't.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting particularly worked up over this. Some 20-somethings did something stupid, and now they're busted. My kneejerk reaction is that it was kind of douchey of them to take medals, but otherwise it just doesn't concern me much.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

henryc

If you're going through all that work, wouldn't you fake a bib in wave 1/corral 1? Sprint out and be on TV.

Hip Redux

The FBI just called and told me I'm creeping them out and to stop it. I'm a little embarrassed to have wasted time figuring this out and finding more. It was just a puzzle and challenge of sorts to entertain me at the end of the week. I'm suprised we haven't seen more in the press. It wasn't hard to piece together and verify what was going on with the 4 that got the most press.

I'd like to think this will serve as a deterrent for next year but know that it probably won't.

I figured reddit would be making the first call for your services.

JimR

So what is they really did?

- Faked some bib numbers and ran the Boston marathon course while the race was occurring.

Did they torture kittens or puppies?

- I don't think any of the event pics showed this happening.

Did they sell angel dust to grade-schoolers?

- Again, it didn't show up in any event pics.

Did they steal someone's favorite pair of running shoes?

- They were wearing shoes, probably just their own shoes.

Did they do anything "illegal"?

- Possibly.  It could be considered an act of fraud since they actually used fake bibs.

Did they prevent any "legitimate runner" from running,

- Possibly, in that they may have interfered with registered runners.

getting a medal

- They apparently did take medals, unlikely though to have prevented others from getting one.(everyone gets a fawking medal),

drinking Gatorade

- Possibly interfered with others, similar to running

or kissing a girl or 20 at Wellesley?

- I don't really think that matters any.

Unethical, okay maybe.

Personally I'd like to find the persons involved in posting these pictures online with the direct intent of "calling them out" and snap a picture every time they did something illegal or immoral.  

- It was the person that had the legitimate bib for that number.  You can go for it if you want.

But, I'm afraid my hard drive would fill up within a few weeks.

- it sounds  like you have a rather tiny hard drive

BeeRunB

Harmless petty theft of a rental of public roads. Party crashers, just like at Woodstock. Historically, there have been 100+ Boston marathons, and at some point the bandits started running it. What would Boston be without the bandits? What would Woodstock have been without the gate crashers? What would this paragraph have been without the overreaching and unnecessary comparison between Boston and Woodstock?

Prince of Fatness

I'll chalk this up to faux rage.

Well if it was my bib number that they stole I would classify it as a significant annoyance maybe.  Otherwise while they are a-holes I would probably get over it quickly.

Not at it at all. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Can I get a do over with a counterfeit bib? I was injured and the temp was in the 90's in 2012. Nope, 1 and done.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

lagwagon

"get the hell out of my race and give me those numbers!"

switzer

Feeling the growl again

Well if it was my bib number that they stole I would classify it as a significant annoyance maybe.  Otherwise while they are a-holes I would probably get over it quickly.

Pretty much this.  I'm not going to waste an iota of blood pressure getting worked up about this, but it tells me something about their personality and if I met them in another setting and knew they had done something like this I'd dismiss them as someone I wanted to associate with pretty quickly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Meh. She was an accepted registered runner.

Money quote from DW on this mess - "These people lack social graces and are just rude." Yup. That sums it up for me.

"get the hell out of my race and give me those numbers!"

switzer

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/