Counterfeit Bibs (Read 459 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I don't think anyone has mentioned what the ARGO on all the arms of many of the bandits likely means. It's a big middle finger to the Boston Athletic Association and all the legit runners on the course. In the ARGO movie, one of the frequent lines is that ARGO stands for "Ahhr, go f--k yourself."

So to me, that makes them even bigger a-holes.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Not exactly.

"We checked the rule book and entry form; there was nothing about gender in the marathon. I filled in my AAU number, plunked down $3 cash as entry fee, signed as I always sign my name, “K.V. Switzer,” and went to the university infirmary to get a fitness certificate."

As Bugs would say, there's nothing in the rule book that says an elephant can't play.

AAU rules at the time prohibited women from running the distance in a sanctioned race. Even if it wasn't explicit on the entry form, her coach, an experienced runner and Boston finisher as well, would have known. About the same time period another women who entered and ran the Manchester Thanksgiving Day Race also caused a stir with threats of banning any runner who ran the race with her in it. Of course there was nothing about gender on the entry form, since only men were allowed to enter.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sweet. Lets go back in time, invent the internets and right that wrong with some Instagram justice. #useyourwholefirstname

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Why is it sideways?

Some of the people can be part-right all of the time.

Most of the people can be all-right part of the time.

But all the people can't be all-right all of the time.

I think Abraham Lincoln said that.

I'll let you be in my dream, if I can be in yours.

I said that.

Village people

True, but that was for beer, so I guess that is a form of payment. The cowbell was just an added bonus.

Interesting.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Now this here is the 2014 Boston Marathon Conspiracy.  That other thread and other so-called conspiracy has nothing like this.

This

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

BeeRunB

Some of the people can be part-right all of the time.

Most of the people can be all-right part of the time.

But all the people can't be all-right all of the time.

I think Abraham Lincoln said that.

I'll let you be in my dream, if I can be in yours.

I said that.

Weird, so did Bob Dylan. What's the odds of you and him saying the exact same thing in relation to what Abe Lincoln said? And like 50 years apart?

WHOA

bap

AAU rules at the time prohibited women from running the distance in a sanctioned race. Even if it wasn't explicit on the entry form, her coach, an experienced runner and Boston finisher as well, would have known. About the same time period another women who entered and ran the Manchester Thanksgiving Day Race also caused a stir with threats of banning any runner who ran the race with her in it. Of course there was nothing about gender on the entry form, since only men were allowed to enter.

Switzer's participation was an act of civil disobedience, which contributed in it's way to equal rights for women. Pirating a marathon is theft, using facilities that have been provided for a significant cost is theft.

Certified Running Coach
                  Crocked since 2013

BeeRunB

Switzer's participation was an act of civil disobedience, 

And on my top ten list of the greatest in the genre of women's rights.

BeeRunB

I wouldn't call banditing theft. At most, it is party and/or parade crashing. Or maybe a mild case of trespassing (but it's a public road--so there's a weird area there). Was it stealing when 100,000's without tickets showed up for Woodstock?

Shouldn't we just peace out and hold love in our hearts and make love in the pond with a hot bandit?

(oh,  no, I'm really hung up on some festival from the 60's, man)

--Seinfeld (loosely)

bhearn

And on my top ten list of the greatest in the genre of women's rights.

+1

bhearn

I don't think anyone has mentioned what the ARGO on all the arms of many of the bandits likely means. It's a big middle finger to the Boston Athletic Association and all the legit runners on the course. In the ARGO movie, one of the frequent lines is that ARGO stands for "Ahhr, go f--k yourself."

So to me, that makes them even bigger a-holes.

That had not occurred to me. If true, yeah, super a-holes.

DaBurger

Switzer's participation was an act of civil disobedience, which contributed in it's way to equal rights for women. Pirating a marathon is theft, using facilities that have been provided for a significant cost is theft.

Civil Disobedience is only civil in retrospect.  At the time of the incident, what she did was illegal and decried by the men who followed the rules at the time (which is the same as those of us who qualified according to the rules now), it is only now that we call it a victory for Women's rights.

Know thyself.

BeeRunB

Civil Disobedience is only civil in retrospect.  At the time of the incident, what she did was illegal and decried by the men who followed the rules at the time (which is the same as those of us who qualified according to the rules now), it is only now that we call it a victory for Women's rights.

It should be on an episode of Mad Men!

Well yeah, that's how civil disobedience usually works.

That is why it I generally considered an act of courage, because you know you will get yourself in trouble, and you have to truly believe you are on the right side of history & will be vindicated in the end.

Dave