Counterfeit Bibs (Read 459 times)

BeeRunB

Speaking of race bibs, How bout those old Boston bibs?

To the point. Just a number!

Those were really easy to counterfeit.

DaBurger

Well yeah, that's how civil disobedience usually works.

That is why it I generally considered an act of courage, because you know you will get yourself in trouble, and you have to truly believe you are on the right side of history & will be vindicated in the end.

This was in response to bap's comment vindicating the bandits now, but attempting to justify Switzer's actions.

Condemning these bandits, and glorifying Switzer at this point is a terrible argument since Switzer's actions are only a victory in retrospect, and there is no following.history to judge this year's bandits by

Know thyself.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

The difference in Switzer's act and the bandits is that she didn't steal anything from anybody. She paid her money. The bandits paid nothing. While I still think that bandits are thieves, I do agree that losing their jobs and other punishments are far too harsh. But they suck nonetheless.

Switzer didn't steal anything from anyone. She committed what us old hippies would call a "victimless" crime.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

BeeRunB

Is it against the law?

We are ruled by law, not opinion. Supposedly...

TJoseph

Is it against the law?

We are ruled by law, not opinion. Supposedly...

I don't see it on this list, but they have a lot of laws about taking baths in Boston:

http://funlaws.50webs.com/Massachusetts.html

bap

This was in response to bap's comment vindicating the bandits now, but attempting to justify Switzer's actions.

Condemning these bandits, and glorifying Switzer at this point is a terrible argument since Switzer's actions are only a victory in retrospect, and there is no following.history to judge this year's bandits by

I invoke the Rosa Parks defense.

Certified Running Coach
              Crocked since 2013

bhearn

Seriously? You don't see an inherent difference in what Switzer did and what these bandits did? History is not needed here IMO.

Feeling the growl again

Switzer paid her money.  These people did not.  This has been pointed out more than once.  Why do you keep comparing her to these people who re-created bibs in order to participate without paying?

Plus, what she did served a larger purpose.  These people were serving no one but themselves and their self-centered sense of entitlement.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Switzer paid her money.  These people did not.  This has been pointed out more than once.  Why do you keep comparing her to these people who re-created bibs in order to participate without paying?

Plus, what she did served a larger purpose.  These people were serving no one but themselves and their self-centered sense of entitlement.

+1 She was registered.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Seriously? You don't see an inherent difference in what Switzer did and what these bandits did? History is not needed here IMO.

I hate to Zen-present moment you, all the events we're talking about are history and of the past, in the realm of story...

surely, there is a comparison on some level, as she was a bandit who got in by not entering her full name correctly. She wouldn't have been allowed in otherwise. In terms of social activism, there is no comparison.

bhearn

I don't care whether she was registered and paid or not. Look at Bobbi Gibb in 1966 -- still no comparison. What she did served a larger purpose. What these bandits did is pure selfishness.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Civil Disobedience is only civil in retrospect.  At the time of the incident, what she did was illegal and decried by the men who followed the rules at the time (which is the same as those of us who qualified according to the rules now), it is only now that we call it a victory for Women's rights.

It maybe only now you call it a victory for Woman's Rights.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Why is it sideways?

Are we really mentioning these people in the same breath as Switzer?

Christ in a racecar.

BeeRunB

I don't care whether she was registered and paid or not. Look at Bobbi Gibb in 1966 -- still no comparison. What she did served a larger purpose. What these bandits did is pure selfishness.

What exactly is wrong with selfishness? Everyone is selfish to some degree. And is there impure selfishness?

I think if we are  a nation that is ruled by laws, then either it's against the law to bandit a race on a publicly funded road or it's not. If it's not, then they did nothing wrong, and we're just throwing scarlet letters.

Are we really mentioning these people in the same breath as Switzer?

Christ in a racecar.

Seriously.  This thread was vaguely annoying, and now it's just stupid.