Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Zebano the Ingebritsens also have a series of youtube programs following their family and training. The parents are pretty amazing. They work hard in real life jobs and the father is the coach. I think there are 7 kids now ? Theres 2 brothers who dont run and the daughter who's showing promise and they had another young son. They are pretty tight and get on well.

I mentioned to Watson that I dont have hammy issues. Well I just tried a few of Zane Robertsons hammy exercises so now I feel mine 

I wonder what will happen with the NBA this year ?

Flavio I hear you on fitness. Mine is slowly going while I wait out this calf thing. I ran a couple of 6km runs the last 2 days which felt fine but Cal scolded me for going too fast at 4.30/km . The foam roller is feeling good on my guilty calf.

We haven't had any covid cases for a few days. Out of 1500 cases in New Zealand 95% are recovered.  We may get a small reboot from the reopening of life but hopefully not.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

Flavio - I feel you on that muscular issue (literally), I was lazy the last two weeks and the day after an easy run I was as sore as if I had run a half marathon. It's amazing how quickly muscular endurance goes.

Zebano - yes, I watched the Last Dance. It was very good, albeit a bit biased (which isn't surprising given it was produced by Jordan). Anyway, totally worth a watch.

Me - decided to get the antibody test for COVID. They only asked me one question: "are you a runner?" I asked why, and they said they were concerned about the low pulse rate (48 as of that reading). Other than that, no other questions and I was in/out in under 10 minutes. Here's to hoping I'm positive!

Awesome, I'll start watching tonight. The pulse thing is funny. I had an issue a few years back with my asthma and ended up in an ER. They clip that oximeter/pulse meter onto your finger and once I was better, I kept setting off the alarm every few minutes because it was 2AM and I kept drifting off to sleep (my pulse will go to mid 30s overnight) and three I had nurses rushing in there before they got someone to adjust the setting. That's awesome that you had someone competent enough to think about asking if you're a runner. That said, next time you need to roll up your pants and flex your calves for them =)

Piwi I hope we have an NBA, I want to see if my Timberwolves can ever be anything except the Cleveland Browns of the NBA. Post trade deadline, we kept losing but Malik Beasley might be one of my favorite players, it's a shame he can't defend at all . The guy brings huge energy and a sweet shooting stroke every night. Also your runs have been super fast lately!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - I figured that was a copy/paste from somewhere else, but it gave the opportunity for a bit of conversation. I do totally get people being more naturally suited for different distances, leading to steeper or flatter performance curves. It could be that race conditions and my own fitness have just coincidentally lined up to create this, but my own perception is that my own strongest-performing distances lie in the 10k-25k range. That doesn't quite jive with what I think I'd like to do running-wise, though. I have an interest in marathons (really feel like I need to get at least one sub-3 out of the way), and I'd like to do some ultras as well. I don't think I could tell you why, other than perhaps that those seem interesting to me. Perhaps I should re-evaluate my running goals/wants.

I think that the thing about marathons is that you get so few shots at the distance that it's normal to not have your performances there match those in shorter distances.

I also think the different distances require different skills/attributes.  For myself, I've got a lot of endurance and strength, can execute fairly well, and have decent pain tolerance.  But...my engine (aerobic system) really isn't as great as others.  I've never done VO2Max testing, but my hunch is it's not where one would expect it to be, given my longer distance performances.  Distances 10 miles or longer ask a bit less of the aerobic system, and more of pure endurance, and the marathon itself depends heavily on execution.  So I perform decently there.  On the other hand, I can fake a decent mile simply because I tolerate anaerobic discomfort quite well.  But... those distances of 5k-10k are all about the engine, so I underperform there.

Jmac - sounds odd to say this, but I hope you get the positive result you want.

Pulse Oximeters - they don't read me sometimes.  It's most likely poor circulation.    In years past, I've gone to the doctor and gotten a reading of 80%.  They look at me, I'm fine, we just ignore it and move on.  (of course, this was pre-Covid 19).

In other news, I successfully (and almost painlessly) ran 4 miles easy on the treadmill, took a 20 minute break, and then ran another 3.  Foot issue has cleared nicely, and running seems to help it now - the gentle activity gets all the nerves moving and firing.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Me - Here's to hoping I'm positive!

PM me (if you want), and I will opine.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - great news that you're running pain free.  Interesting discussion on distances - I think my best distances, based on my solid build and speed (that was more obvious when playing sports in high school and my 20s), are likely shorter distances.  It's probably too late for me to see what I can do in a 5km but I feel like I could do it significantly quicker if I trained for it specifically.

zebano, JMac -  I enjoyed the Last Dance immensely, especially the Pearl Jam at the end.  There's a good discussion on the Bill Simmons podcast about the biases etc, over several podcast episodes.

piwi -  it sounds like you're on the mend but I would agree with Cal that painfully slow is the way to go for a while.

rune - great to see you back!  You've worked so hard to get back running, I hope you continue to progress.

flavio - I'm starting to wrap myself in cotton wool but will keep doing some short stuff.  Definitely feeling quite positive but my knee and ankle have been very sore since Tuesday but felt okay when I ran.  Walking has been very painful but feeling quite a bit better today.

mrakers - that's a great week.  I'd definitely say you could set some higher goals given that interval workout.

brew - I agree with a fair amount of your thoughts.

me - Despite my weekend runs remaining tough, my mid-week workouts remain great.  On Wednesday I included 2x5km tempo pace, with the pace slightly hotter than my goal pace (20:39, 20:29) but more importantly, I felt very comfortable and could easily have run more kms at that speed.  I wonder how my current fitness translates into a 5km time given I did 20:29 in the back half of the workout.  I've not done a 5km ever and sub 20 always sounded tough but surely I could do it right now.

The long range forecast for May 31 is about 5 degrees C with light winds at race start.  Perfect.  Let's hope it stays that way.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - we need a live stream of your TT. It'll keep you honest. Your family should set something up.

DW - that's funny on the pulse oximeters, I get some of the same stuff. I always think if I had such low oxygen, I'm not sure running would really be possible. Also, great news on the running! There's never a great time to get injured, but hell this has to be it. No "what ifs" to think about.

Zebano - I always like the Twolves players but man they are just a bunch of headcases, but like not necessarily in the Dennis Rodman way just in other ways. Still not sure KAT could ever lead a championship team.

Best Distances - I'm in the DW camp, I just have a relatively good pain tolerance (even though I love complaining about how much pain I'm in every single one of my race reports) so I do well in marathons, but I find I really struggle with leg turnover when pain gets high, so it makes sense that 5K/10K are struggles for me too.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

The long range forecast for May 31 is about 5 degrees C with light winds at race start.  Perfect.  Let's hope it stays that way.

I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Re distances - kinda feel like 10km to HM is my sweet spot but hoping I'll be proved wrong when I finally run another marathon.  I've always had a bit of speed (in my field hockey days, I used to be the lead defensive runner on penalty corners) but had to build up the endurance to go with it.  My 5,000m and 10,000m times are almost identical on an age-graded basis albeit that 10,000m race was with no specific prep and barely any taper either.  Some local guys are organising a 10,000m event in a month's time so I might give that a serious crack.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

RE distances: My sweet spot is the 40.... 40 meters 

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

Darkwave - Glad you're running pain free, that's great news. Your theory about having different slopes is interesting to me because I was just reading up on Hadd and Maffetone, both of whom I think would argue that if you're better at the mile/5k you're just undertrained aerobically. In my experience you're absolutely right but the question that my reading led me to was "Is there a physiological change induced bu going anaerobic that actively undoes our aerobic adaptions?"  I'm led to this question by Hadd doing things like saying never exceed 160 HR with his example runner early in training and by Maffetone suggesting that you never exceed MAF HR even in non-running activities (he suggests giving up weightlifting during your initial 3 month adaption period for instance).

Steve - You've got to be in sub 20 shape, that's a great tempo workout!

JMac - I'm getting that way on Kat too. I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt because of coaches (that's a different rant) but his defense is soo bad. I thought coming out of Kentucky he was going to be a stellar defender and it turns out most of that was Cauley-Stein. Oh well, I'm expecting something like that Eliis/Curry Warriors where we simply score tons of points most nights.  Mostly I am just so incredibly happy to not have to watch Wiggins loaf around and occasionally pretend he's Kobe (he does not have an NBA caliber handle). Oddly enough the player type we really need right now is the one we traded away to get here (Covington) two 3 and D forwards that can defend on the perimeter would make this a hell of a team. I'm actually kind of hoping we throw Kat in at the 4 position just to try something different and either find us a defensive minded 5 or just double down on shooting with Naz Reid (and the defense will be so laughable at this point we should just play 4v5 and have someone cherry picking all the time).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - You're going to be over the moon about this haha: https://runoyo.com/info

me - I like the 1500m. When my muscular endurance is about to go it's only 400m to go. I dig vo2max pain, maybe I have a higher tolerance to that.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Flavio -- that is pretty awesome... except for having to bring your phone with on the race. I'm curious how people will do on this. Will they be able to psych themselves up like it's a race or will it be more like a really well measured time trial? I know that late in a race I love having other people around as motivation and that will be lacking. Regardless, I'm a fan of this as a really awesome perk. I might have missed it but did anyone catch how long the course is?

edit -- glancing at the results it appears to be marathon distance!!! err they also have HM, 10k and 5k routes. Very impressive

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Jmac - You're going to be over the moon about this haha: https://runoyo.com/info

That looks really clever. It's actually tempting. Interesting to see how it works out in the long run (pun proudly provided).

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - amazing idea! Imagine every area had that, it would have made Mark's 5K Kiwi challenge much better. Of course, the problem is if a bunch of people run it all together, because hell then it's a race! I could imagine some people in the neighborhood would disapprove of this whole thing and such.

Negative on the antibody test, very disappointing. Never been so upset with a negative result on blood work.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - had you been positive, would you have to quarantine yourself?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly