Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Resident Historian

I took today off. My achilles was screaming. Slightly concerned to be honest. Running on it yesterday when it was tender wasn't the wisest...but running is stupid anyways. So, my wife and I went for a walk and it loosened up. I'll go out tomorrow and run and see how that goes. Hopefully just a day off thing and then back to some good easy runs. Gonna at least let my body recover by doing all easy miles this week.

mrakers, I mostly hang out on the marathon thread, but I'll jump in here. After several bouts of nasty Achilles problems over the years, I'd be more than a little concerned with your symptoms. It doesn't take a lot to turn a one-day problem into chronic tendonitis or worse.

Some things you might try:

• Warm your ankle up with both motion and heat before you run. Gentle "runner's stretch" first with knee straight (for the calf, the slightly bent (for the Achilles). Stand crossways on a half foam roller (or similar), and rock back and forth toe to ground then heel to ground. Then the same standing lengthways, rocking side to side. Put your ankle in a hot tub if available, or a large bucket of hot water.
    • Sleep with a night-splint to hold the foot at a right angle to the shin. That keeps the Achilles stretched out while it heals overnight. Sleeping with the foot pointed down leaves the Achilles contracted; then when one takes the first steps in the morning, the healing tears apart.
    • Gentle massage up and down on the sides of the Achilles before the run.
    • Heel drops (lowering the heel while toes are on a stair or box). Two feet at first, use the other leg to lift up, then "down on one, up on two (feet)", This stretches the Achilles and works the eccentric motion. 
    • And above all, STOP if it hurts during a run.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Corey great finish to your week.

Mark theres a bit of a thread on letsrun on the result of your virtual 5k race. I spoke to a guy yesterday who is part of that coaching group and he reckons it was run on their legit 1.2km loop in Tauranga.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

flavio - All good ideas but since my focus will be on the race, I may not spend the time to set it up, especially given the feedback.

Maybe I could live stream some of the after match, that could be way more interesting.

As for Jacinda, it's usually safer for me to bite my tongue than talk about about her...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Since there is a dearth of race reports of late, I'm going to take the liberty of writing a self-indulgent race preview...because I can.  I might also find it interesting to look back after the race.

Christchurch Virtual Half-Marathon, May 31 - Race Preview

The Christchurch Marathon was cancelled on March 19, just before the start of the lock down.  I felt they may have jumped the gun, especially in not even looking at a postponement.  In 2011, on February 22, a large earthquake wiped out most of the CBD where the race is run.  Continual large aftershocks meant people were not sleeping and always on edge, not very focused on running.  By mid-March, they had announced a revised course on the outskirts of the city and the race went ahead.  That situation was far more serious.  Anyway, rant over.

This has always been my favourite race, with a fast flat course and it is the first race I ever ran.  In 2016, I went under 1:30 for the second time and broke my PR which was set in the same race in 2004.  I had to miss 2018 (wedding in Australia) and 2019 (spent a month in the USA in May - too hard to train for a goal race).  I replaced it in these years with the Auckland Waterfront Half-Marathon which ended in complete disaster in 2018 on the back of truncated training due to an injury, and a bad day in 2019 had me finishing in 1:30.49 on the back of a good training block.

In June 2019 I damaged my glute which didn't feel serious but eventually took around 3 months to recover from.  I remember talking to a guy at work in August and he asked how my running was going, I said I'd given up on a race in 2019 and was targeting Christchurch 2020, with enough time to build a large base and consistency I didn't have in 2018 or 2019.

From June - September 2019, my training log tells the story.

June 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 44.84 6.81 8.8 7.93

July 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 0 2.16 4.29 9.42

August 1 2 3 4 5
          Km/week 5.29 4.39 0 0 0

September 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 4 8.67 27.18 52.32

A very frustrating time, but once it started to come right, I was able to increase mileage quite quickly.  During this time I was trying to run for 10 minutes before increasing to 15, 20 etc.  Once I realised this wasn't working I just took 4 full weeks off, apart from the stationary bike.  There were still hiccups for a few weeks after this but then I started to feel better quite quickly.

October 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 39.44 57.90 60.04 62.69

November 1 2 3 4 5
          Km/week 66.72 62.78 64.83 67.57 66.90

December 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 68.70 74.23 73.52 72.02

From these numbers, you can see that the build up was fast and I started to get some good consistent weeks.  I was targeting a 10km in February so I started adding some speed work from late November.  Tempo pace was feeling quite comfortable, Vo2 Max as always felt really hard when first introduced.

January 1 2 3 4 5
          Km/week 67.49 73.27 75.80 75.44 65.18

Week 5 included the 10km on February 2 - this was held in Hagley Park on what turned out to be a very hot and windy day.  It was 28 degrees at 8am (eventually reached 37 degrees) and with a lot of the race on grass, I struggled a little to finish in 42:23.  That performance probably reflects a much better time in easier conditions but it was good to get some racing in.

February 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 68.65 73.31 74.03 73.58

March 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 74.68 75.02 74.96 68.80

Again, some good consistent weeks.  By the end of March, all races were cancelled and I spent a week or 2 with little motivation for the speed sessions but eventually decided I would go ahead with the plan to race on May 31, the day of the Christchurch Marathon.  I also ran a pair on shoes into the ground which almost ran me into the ground (sorry JMac).

April 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 76.70 75.92 77 69.82

May 1 2 3 4
          Km/week 72.99 72.23 71.69 65.42

I increased the amount of quality during April and May, and these sessions went really well.  Highlights included tempo sessions of 2x4km and 2x5km - my pace held at around 4:08/km and felt good.  Vo2 Max sessions included the likes of 6x1km with speeds around 3:40/km - 3:50/km.  Obviously not comfortable, but I didn't feel near death.  The weekend sessions with a tempo component were more of a struggle, I found it tough to hold race pace on tired legs.

So how do I rank this training block?  It is comfortably better than 2018 and 2019.  In 2017 I did Christchurch half in 1:30.29 and my training wasn't as deep or consistent.  The only comparable training block is 2016 leading into what is my current PR.  My memory may be rose coloured, but it was basically perfect.  I don't recall any especially bad sessions but I would say that it wasn't as deep as this year - I have far more 2+ hour long runs behind me this year than I did in 2016.  I should also note that I have made a concerted effort to run my easy pace slower - given I have stayed injury free, I think this has helped.  I could still go slower though.

Predictions

Given all that info, what should I be targeting?  I don't know how good I am at time trials so I will disregard that aspect for now.  The course I have settled on requires 8 laps in Hagley Park which is at least as fast as the usual course.  The speed training has proven I can hold race pace for long periods and I should have the stamina as a result of all the long runs and consistent weeks.  So I should be confident of going close to my best.  On that note, let's shoot for the stars:

A Goal:              Sub 1:29

B Goal:              PR (sub 1:29.25)

C Goal:              Sub 1:30 (for the first time since joining the yearly sub 1:30 thread).

I guess this leaves open the option of a slightly off day meaning I miss all goals and call it a failure, but I think all goals are realistic.

I plan on starting at 8am on May 31, NZ time.  The forecast is good.  I hope not too many people decide to use Hagley Park at that time as the paths are narrow in some places.  Interested in the thoughts of others!  Congratulations if you read this far.

2024 Races:

JamesD

JamesD

Enjoyed reading it, Steve.  Your mileage and workouts are similar to mine, though a little better, and I think I should be able to break 1:30.  Seems like you have a good shot at your goals.  The only thing that stands out to me is that a minute seems like a very small difference between your A and C goals, given all the unforeseen things that could affect your time.  For me, a C goal is "I did pretty well given what was possible for me on that day under those conditions, even though my time wasn't what I had hoped for."  Seems to me like that would be something slower than 1:30, maybe beating your 1:30:49 from last year.  (Along those lines, it may just be that I'm not good at predicting my times, but I rarely feel sure before a half that I'll be within a given one-minute range (or 3 sec./km for shorter races) - it's more like a two-minute (or 6 sec/km) range.  That leads me to pick wider ranges between my A and C goals.)  Good luck!

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

watsonc123

Steve - your training has been good.  I agree that 60s difference between 'A' and 'C' is very small.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I will comment on rest soon, but Piwi can you link to that thread?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - back yourself.  You have a lot of good training behind you - as you've noted - and it's been really consistent too.  The weather forecast looks excellent (OF COURSE IT DOES).  That 2x5km workout you dropped a week or two ago was ahead of pace, most of your HMP work has actually been a few seconds ahead of where you needed it to be.

(side note: I must not be on Strava often at the time you log your runs because I seem to miss them a lot!  Must change settings)

I agree with what others have said that there is not much difference between your A and C goals.  In a TT, mentally I wouldn't give yourself the option - it's PR or bust!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I will comment on rest soon, but Piwi can you link to that thread?

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=10028778

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I agree with what others have said that there is not much difference between your A and C goals.  In a TT, mentally I wouldn't give yourself the option - it's PR or bust!

This is a great point (thanks James and watson too).  I guess the gap is small because I want to keep them realistic but don't want the C goal to be something I wouldn't feel at least some happiness about.  And missing out on 1:30 again would not make me happy.  Breaking 1:30 but not getting a PR would also not make me happy but give me some small consolation.  So scrap the goals - PR or bust!

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Another thing worth considering is potentially setting your sights on a spring half.

There is a good chance that by late June, we will be at Level 1 if everything keeps going the way it's been going.  Assuming there are no limits on mass gatherings under Level 1, that would mean races (of all sizes) are go.  That would open up options like South Island Half Marathon in August, or something else later in the year.

Of course, the government might impose limits, but I suspect the events industry would cry foul massively given the way they got kneecapped when we moved up to Level 2.

I'm not saying this to distract from or devalue your TT in any way, but personally I find it always helps to plan things out over 12-18 months rather than just focusing solely on one event or race.  If your TT goes really well, there's a chance a race would go even better.

I will say that you've got to really be on your game mentally for a TT, particularly over a longer distance like HM.  I've run well in TT's in the past, but I haven't done them in a long time.  That recent 5km TT I ran, when things got a bit rough around the 3-4km mark, I found myself saying 'ah screw it, it's just a TT anyway'.  There were a few reasons why it didn't go great, but me talking myself out of it certainly didn't help.  You will have to channel that mental toughness from Waterfront 2018 where you sucked it up and finished the race despite having a stop and feeling like garbage.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yep, I’ve got my South Island Half entry rolled over from last year and that will be next. I’ve tentatively reserved a room in Queenstown for the half too.

2024 Races:

zebano

Been working around the house like crazy, ya'll have been posting a ton ! I'll get caught up latter.

My week started amazing and finished on a slightly down note.

Miles - 51.4

Mon 8.7 mi Muddy trail around a lake!  8:33/mi
                            Tue AM 4 Easy? 8:37/mi
                            Tue PM 4.2 easy? 8:24/mi, 4 strides
                            Wed AM 4 8:25/mi
                            Wed PM 8  (Trails) ~20 min Tempo - 4x200m hill - ~20 min Temp
                            Thur 12.4  8:50 /mi (single trac at the end is rough)
                            Fri OFF Day of Rest
                            Sat 4 8:53/mi, legs felt off
                            Sat PM 4.4 8:11 /mi felt better
                            Sun OFF spent the whole day working on the bathroom =(

Wednesday's workout went stellar and I even took a C.R. on strava that I didn't know was there! It was also the first workout that I consider appropriate volume for the overall miles I'm running. Best of all, I went as fast as I ever have on that trail (~7:30 / mi) and it felt far more under control tn it has in the past when it's felt more like I was redlining.  I would have liked to get in another workout on Sunday, but I'm not too angry about missing it, it's still a solid week. I do think I should probably run my easy runs slower but if I'll do a more traditional threshold workout on flat sidewalks this week. If I can hit that then I'm doing ok, if not, I'll adjust.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

Steven Adams is great. Guy is super effective as a tough defender. Did you know his sister is a Olympic shot-putter ?

James - Running on soft surfaces is great for not only building those leg muscles but staying injury free. Good luck with the 5k!

DWave -- that's unfortunate your trails are so crowded. I was worried here for awhile but I've figured out non-peak hours like 2PM are fine. I certainly wouldn't run outside in a mask, so good luck with your mental health if you take to the treadmill.

DPS - superb mileage week in and week out.

Steve -- Good luck with the TT. I say stream it, but I won't commit to watching all of it. Wink You really need to get a goPro so we can ride along. Given your longer tempo workouts @ 4:08/km I think you should be targeting that as race pace i.e. 1:27 as a  A++ stretch goal. < 1:28 as an A-goal. Stellar training btw.

MRakers - take care of that achilles before it gets worse.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

pepperjack

pie man

It was more like 'did you know Valerie Adams has a brother that plays basketball' for me?

11:11 3,000 (recent)