Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

It was more like 'did you know Valerie Adams has a brother that plays basketball' for me?

Exactly!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

True that - she is a superstar over here. I think he has a good arm too. Check out his full court pass to Dennis Schroder in dying seconds to save a game.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Great info and I'll definitely try some of it...although I'm now convinced after the past two days that it isn't an achilles issue, but instead is the peroneal tendon. Running right along the outside of the ankle bone it is just tight and tender. I tried running yesterday because it was feeling good, but it was just locked up and not wanting to move. I rode a bike for about 15 minutes, and then ran with a little discomfort, but very manageable for 8 miles and today I feel a lot better. Still tender but I think it's starting to improve.

Took Sunday off and that didn't seem to help. The more I'm on my feet, the better it's been feeling. I've just slowed things down and am staying inside on the treadmill for a lower impact run this week and will be seeing day to day how it's going. Gonna have to try some of these stretched below though.

mrakers, I mostly hang out on the marathon thread, but I'll jump in here. After several bouts of nasty Achilles problems over the years, I'd be more than a little concerned with your symptoms. It doesn't take a lot to turn a one-day problem into chronic tendonitis or worse.

Some things you might try:

• Warm your ankle up with both motion and heat before you run. Gentle "runner's stretch" first with knee straight (for the calf, the slightly bent (for the Achilles). Stand crossways on a half foam roller (or similar), and rock back and forth toe to ground then heel to ground. Then the same standing lengthways, rocking side to side. Put your ankle in a hot tub if available, or a large bucket of hot water.
        • Sleep with a night-splint to hold the foot at a right angle to the shin. That keeps the Achilles stretched out while it heals overnight. Sleeping with the foot pointed down leaves the Achilles contracted; then when one takes the first steps in the morning, the healing tears apart.
        • Gentle massage up and down on the sides of the Achilles before the run.
        • Heel drops (lowering the heel while toes are on a stair or box). Two feet at first, use the other leg to lift up, then "down on one, up on two (feet)", This stretches the Achilles and works the eccentric motion. 
        • And above all, STOP if it hurts during a run.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Good weeks abound.

DWave - Glad to hear you're coming back well.

My LR was a bit unexpected. I woke up late, felt tired, and decided on 10 instead of 16 before even getting my shoes on. When I hit the turnaround point for 10 I realized I was feeling good and decided to keep going. Fortunately I was testing a small hydration pack-thingy or lack of water could have hurt some.
          I also did *something* to a muscle adjacent to my hamstrings (gracilis? adductor?) while playing with the kids over the weekend. It doesn't affect running at all (can't feel it at all), but tightens up when I sit for long periods (blasted desk job) and seems like it doesn't want to stretch like it should for a bit. I was planning on a workout or two this week, but out of an abundance of caution I'll hold off on that until this is gone.

Weekly for period: From: 05/18/2020 To 05/24/2020

Date Name Distance
          in mi
          Duration Avg Pace
          per mi
          Elevation Gain
          in ft
          05/18/2020 Getting there 2.15 00:17:12 08:00 26
          05/18/2020 Ronnestads 3x (13x :30 hard, :15 easy) 6 minutes easy between 6.22 00:41:09 06:37 236
          05/18/2020 2 rabbits and stopping for a handful of mulberries 4.50 00:37:16 08:17 413
          05/19/2020 5 deer (5 strides), 2 rabbits and 2 hawks 10.51 01:28:03 08:23 328
          05/20/2020 1 rabbit and 1 Mississippi kite 11.51 01:35:29 08:18 348
          05/21/2020 1 hawk and 1 scissor-tailed flycatcher 11.26 01:37:30 08:40 518
          05/22/2020 1 hawk, 1 Mississippi kite, & 1 student pilot 5.10 00:43:11 08:28 256
          05/23/2020 Tour du wind farm 17.10 02:24:44 08:28 843
          05/24/2020 1 rabbit 4.15 00:34:45 08:22 230

Total distance: 72.50mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Resident Historian

Great info and I'll definitely try some of it...although I'm now convinced after the past two days that it isn't an achilles issue, but instead is the peroneal tendon. Running right along the outside of the ankle bone it is just tight and tender. I tried running yesterday because it was feeling good, but it was just locked up and not wanting to move.

Some good peroneal tendon stuff here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzw7zufAiw0
            Also balancing on a soft pad (wobbly side-to-side) would likely strengthen (that's also part of my latest Achilles recovery routine).

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve -- Good luck with the TT. I say stream it, but I won't commit to watching all of it. Wink You really need to get a goPro so we can ride along. Given your longer tempo workouts @ 4:08/km I think you should be targeting that as race pace i.e. 1:27 as a  A++ stretch goal. < 1:28 as an A-goal. Stellar training btw.

Wow, that's some serious stretching!  Given how the last few km of basically every race for the last 4 years have gone, I will be a bit cautious which could cost me some precious seconds, but I do have a "real" race in 2 months that will be BOTT if this one goes well.  I plan to work hard to go no faster than 4:15/km for the first 5km - hopefully from there I can start to build.

This time last week my knee was really sore, worse when walking than running, but thankfully it seems to have cleared up to about 90% and should be 100% by race day.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Yep, I’ve got my South Island Half entry rolled over from last year and that will be next. I’ve tentatively reserved a room in Queenstown for the half too.

Nice!

I'm still gunning for the NZ Road Race 10k Champs (13 Sep) / Rotorua Marathon (26 Sep) combo.  I really want to do the Clyde to Alexandra road race (10k) but I'm not sure that the budget will stretch to a Queenstown trip at the moment.  Will need to get some sort of prep race in there for road champs though.

I can't believe I almost got more mileage than Keen last week.  If I'd known it'd be that close I might've pushed for a bit more!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I can't believe I almost got more mileage than Keen last week.  If I'd known it'd be that close I might've pushed for a bit more!

I'd like to point out that you posted in miles over in the marathon thread, yet KM over here. Very sneaky.

Steve - I actually disagree a bit with others, especially because's it's a TT. If you're off PR pace, it's easy just to give up when that's your only goal in a TT. I think just an A and B goal is good here. I'd say sub 1:29 A goal and sub 1:30 B goal. That's good enough. I will say though this is the one thing I say about your training style: it's very difficult to assess what the right pace is when you don't have any rust busters in thee. I need those not only to remember how to race, but it gives me a good idea of what appropriate pace is. You could be in 1:27 shape, or 1:31 shape.

I am very jealous of you NZ folks, it seems like you will be getting back to life as usual pretty soon, except maybe no international travel until a vaccine comes?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I'd like to point out that you posted in miles over in the marathon thread, yet KM over here. Very sneaky.

Just thinking about the audience!  Also kudos to Flavio for making it very easy to toggle between the two on his weekly summary tool.

And yes... we are lucky to be not far off life as normal here (I hope).  The government has publicly said the borders won't be fully opened until there is a vaccine, so anyone coming to NZ will be subject to a mandatory 14-day quarantine until then.  People can leave fine though - a friend of mine headed back to the UK last week.  The economic pain is very real though - our tourism sector was the biggest in our economy and that's basically on life support for at least another 12 months until travel starts to open up again.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - I actually disagree a bit with others, especially because's it's a TT. If you're off PR pace, it's easy just to give up when that's your only goal in a TT. I think just an A and B goal is good here. I'd say sub 1:29 A goal and sub 1:30 B goal. That's good enough. I will say though this is the one thing I say about your training style: it's very difficult to assess what the right pace is when you don't have any rust busters in thee. I need those not only to remember how to race, but it gives me a good idea of what appropriate pace is. You could be in 1:27 shape, or 1:31 shape.

I am very jealous of you NZ folks, it seems like you will be getting back to life as usual pretty soon, except maybe no international travel until a vaccine comes?

Thanks JMac.  I did have a 14km race in late March which was cancelled which may have helped.  I think the 2x5km tempo may be an indication but I did similar before my last half, and then had a race pace 5-7 seconds slower per km.

You're right about the goal setting - I'm actually leaning towards just one goal: PR.  If I have an A goal of 1:29 and get a PR but miss out on 1:29, I feel like I could set myself up to be disappointed when I really shouldn't be.  So my original goals weren't right - this is why I love this place, it helps focus and often leads to clarifying my thinking.  So it's PR or bust...every second faster than PR, if I get it, will be a bonus.

I think re-opening the borders may need to be reconsidered over time - there's no guarantee of a vaccine being ready and distributed worldwide soon, if ever.

2024 Races:

zebano

so I got an email talking about adjusting expectations based on weather. ...

it said dewpoint is the thing to look at and these are suggested adjustments:

52 and lower - no change in pace

52-56 - 5 seconds per mile slower

57-60- 5 to 7 seconds per mile slower

60-65 - 7 to 10 seconds per mile slower

65-70 - 10 to 14 seconds per mile slower

70 + -- GOOD LUCK WITH THAT

Why is this pertinent? because the weather currently falls into that GOOD LUCK WITH THAT category. It's supposed to rain in an hour and I'm hoping that makes things less miserable but I'm curious how accurate these suggestions are. Do you guys use any type of guide to make adjustments for heat/humidity/hills or do you just adjust on the fly by effort?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Zebano - guys that have been on this forum for a while know I really like this chart, it's been spot on me. Generally use half the adjustment if you're doing intervals, e.g. you're getting rest to cool down. I will say I can generally do workouts in the 150-160 range, but you have to adjust seriously. Once I get to 160+, it's not happening. Also, this is all based upon your heat training in the past. My first run in 140 TDP is just horrible. A 140 TDP day in August? I'm flying.

Add together air temperature and dew point and see where the combined number places you on the following adjustment chart:

100 or less:   no pace adjustment

101 to 110:   0% to 0.5% pace adjustment

111 to 120:   0.5% to 1.0% pace adjustment

121 to 130:   1.0% to 2.0% pace adjustment

131 to 140:   2.0% to 3.0% pace adjustment

141 to 150:   3.0% to 4.5% pace adjustment

151 to 160:   4.5% to 6.0% pace adjustment

161 to 170:   6.0% to 8.0% pace adjustment

171 to 180:   8.0% to 10.0% pace adjustment

Above 180:   hard running not recommended

Makers - battled that tendonitis last year. Literally couldn't walk for 5 minutes without having to stop, but mine cleared very quickly with some heavy taping. Take a look at this, it was a miracle for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwY0h50juQ&t

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

Zebano - In response to your last question, I just adjust based on feel and effort level rather than tables.  On the general principle, I agree with JMac that temperature and dew point and whether you're acclimated all affect how much you need to adjust.  I think sunlight vs. shade also matters, though I'm not sure whether that's because it's actually cooler in the shade than the thermometer/phone/weather service says.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers, though - different people are affected differently.  I think JMac's chart personalized for me would start adjusting around 120 or 130 rather than 100.  Elizabeth, who posted on this board at the start of the year, thought her ideal race temperature was around 20F, while mine for distances of 10K or less is close to 20C.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Everything James said is spot on, these are just guides. I would say that I find this guide only works when the sun is low or it's cloudy, i.e. a TDP of 150 during a run at 7 PM is vastly different than a TDP during at a run at 1 PM. Just think about it as any other run: I can go in a t-shirt when it's upper 40's, 1 PM direct sun, 0 wind. If it's upper 40's, 8 PM after sunset, and a 20 mph wind, I need a medium thickness shirt with some good gloves.

James - I'd also agree in general about not being affected by anything below 120, but a 1% pace adjustment isn't much. It also obviously depends on distance: a 5K at 120 TDP should have 0% adjustment, and actually is probably ideal conditions. A marathon at 120 TDP is too humid and you can easily see 1%, if not more, adjustment.

Also even your weather situation proves it: 140 TDP (70 degrees, 100% humidity) with rain is VASTLY different than 140 TDP with bright sunshine. The rain and clouds will keep you much cooler. I honestly would say that's maybe a 5 second per mile adjustment for me type conditions.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

This is fantastic, a detailed discussion about weather!  A year ago I was just finishing up my tour of Texas, Louisiana and Florida.  I know it gets just as tough for running further north too, so I have much respect for anyone who can train through summer for an autumn race in the USA.

Speaking of weather, the forecast for race day Sunday (I'm not putting race in quotes anymore, I'm treating it like the real thing) is now not as perfect as it was but still very good.  Cloud developing with rain and Northerlies later....I'm pretty sure that means it will still be perfect or close to it at 8am.

2024 Races: