Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

runethechamp

Wait, what was the conversion between temperature + dew point and kiwi point again? Or was that the same number?

All I can say regarding tendon inflammation/injuries is to just be careful, and let things rest if needed.

Watson - My hamstrings are weak from too little strength training (first), then very little load at all, then very light load for a long time, and then figuring out that any straight leg exercises cause some inflammation and irritation. I probably should have started earlier with harder hamstring exercises but here I am, and I will keep you posted on the progress.

Didn't run at all last week, to let everything rest a bit, but felt ok yesterday. 1:30 is not in my target for a really long time.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Wait, what was the conversion between temperature + dew point and kiwi point again? Or was that the same number?

They are one and the same! Around here we're getting into the time of year when a Kiwi point of 120 first thing in the morning is "cool" weather.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ah Kiwi Point. It's that time of the year where we all get to complain about it 

I'm very jealous of you NZ folks. Sometimes your remoteness must suck for inability to travel around the world easily, but right now, it's the number 1 thing you have going for you. I hope things keep progressing and you guys get to live your normal lives, except for the 14 day quarantine if you leave.

Also, I was watching a Tiger Woods documentary last night and somehow totally forgot about Steve Williams. Although not an athlete himself, he must be one of the more famous sports people from NZ.

Piwi - do you think you'll keep up with the NBA once Steven Adams retires?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac Steve Williams was certainly one of our highest paid sports people at one stage . I'm sure he knew of Tigers naughty behavior.

Steven Adam's is 26 so not quite ready for retirement. Theres a new batch of Kiwi kids attracted to basketball now so hopefully we will get a few more in the NBA.

I'm having a good running week. Biggest problem is keeping myself slower than 8 min mile pace so Cal doesnt burn me . Took a rest day today. Only got a couple hours sleep last night due to some after midnight work calls.

Hopefully will finish the weekend strong.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Steve I really liked reading your race Preview it's good to reflect back.  Best of luck in your Time Trial.

I got news last night that the Boston Marathon will be held as a virtual event....not sure exactly what that means at this point waiting for followup information.

Needless to say I am disappointed.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Longboat - I wanted to thank you for your contributions re: injury recovery on this thread.

Kiwi points - yay, we’re talking about the weather.

Corey - Could you run it virtually in the Boston course though?

me - tick tocking away here with my regime of easy running and strength training. 3kg gained during lockdown. It's gonna be a long way until I can shed them and be back in competitive shape.

My body is complaining loudly about the increase in exercise. Very loudly so many niggles. I guess I have a very lazy body.

I know that if I remain conservative in my approach eventually things will settle and I'll be able to train more volume. Patience!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JamesD

JamesD

They are one and the same! Around here we're getting into the time of year when a Kiwi point of 120 first thing in the morning is "cool" weather.

Around here, it hasn't been below 140 at any time for a couple of days,  and the last time it was below 133 was early morning Saturday almost a week ago.  During today's long run it was 149, which won't feel bad later in the summer, but I'm not fully acclimated yet, so it felt warm.  Of course it's also easier since I'm barely running half as many miles as some of you.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've sent out another Zoom meeting invitation - check your messages, and if I've managed to forget to send it to you let me know.

The meeting is set for 9am NZ time (Monday June 1) , 2pm Pacific US time (Sunday May 31), 5pm Eastern US time (Sunday May 31), 10pm Italy time (Sunday May 31) which hopefully suits as many as possible.  I've disabled the Waiting Room and allowed "Join without host" so hopefully there will be no issues getting straight into the meeting this time.

With this being the morning after my race, and given that after the race I'll be catching up with some mates I haven't seen for a while, I apologise in advance for my hungover state.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Awesome Steve I look forward to it. Flavio, Jmac, will you be making an appearance ?

I ran round Mount Maunganui a couple times this morning and they have finally fixed the track. No more staircase yehaa.

CalBears

I'm having a good running week. Biggest problem is keeping myself slower than 8 min mile pace so Cal doesnt burn me .

Somebody told me people from NZ are the smartest as they eliminated covid in a mater of a few days... Apparently, it's not your case, PK - so, repeat after me:

it's not about a pace, it's not about a pace, it's not about a pace - it's about an effort, mostly means you have to run at a recovery HR.

Some people will certainly start arguing that they are running by feel and they feel they are running slow, that is - at a recovery HR. Ok... Here we go again - repeat after me, repeat after me- it's not about a pace, it's not about slow of fast, it's about effort and in most cases it means recovery HR.

You won't believe me - but I have to Un-follow (by mutual agreement ) quite a few people who were very unhappy when I was pointing out that what they call in Strava title "running at a recovery pace" or "running very easy" is not a recovery or is not easy - when I see 155 bpm in their log from a person whose MP HR is 160, it's almost a marathon HR and we all know - marathon HR is not a  recovery effort.

So, Piwi - I hope you will remember now?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You won't believe me - but I have to Un-follow (by mutual agreement ) quite a few people who were very unhappy when I was pointing out that what they call in Strava title "running at a recovery pace" or "running very easy" is not a recovery or is not easy - when I see 155 bpm in their log from a person whose MP HR is 160, it's almost a marathon HR and we all know - marathon HR is not a  recovery effort.

Heh - I know someone who labeled a recent long run as "mostly easy pace; some moderate at the end."

The "easy pace" was 7:40; the "moderate" was 7:20....

I made no comments - my policy is not to give advice unless solicited (with the rare exception if I see a true disaster about to happen).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Darkwave well if it was Mark then that pace was ok  but yeah obviously it depends on that person's fitness and ability.

Cal all my runs this week have been in the 120s or 130s for heart rate. Today snuck over 140 but there was a false reading of 165 when I was running easy.

Some would say running multiple 100 mpw is not smart 

CalBears

Heh - I know someone who labeled a recent long run as "mostly easy pace; some moderate at the end."

The "easy pace" was 7:40; the "moderate" was 7:20....

I made no comments - my policy is not to give advice unless solicited (with the rare exception if I see a true disaster about to happen).

Well, DW... Per spirit of my message to PK I will disagree with you. Because? You are right - it's not about a pace!

If my pace is 7:40 at 130 bpm (my recoveryHR), I will be totally fine with it and honestly title my run as "easy pace" or even worse - "recovery pace". Unfortunately, that pace at that HR is a pipe dream for me, but it doesn't matter - it still about an effort (HR). But I can easily Brew is running 7:30 as a recovery run...

CalBears

Some would say running multiple 100 mpw is not smart 

And I would agree - if it doesn't produce results at some point according to the effort (let's say 2:50 as a marker - considering my AG), then it would be not just not smart but stupid...

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi / Calbears - heart rate is king when it comes to easy runs being easy.

Steve - good luck!!  I'm doing 35km tomorrow and will be thinking of you.  The weather forecast looks miserable here, windy and rainy - surprisingly similar to last year's Christchurch Marathon but not as bad.

Funny strava experience - some of you might recall the local guy I mentioned who went and sniped a bunch of short strava segments during lockdown a couple of months ago.  I had a short run planned this morning with a short hard effort section so I figured I would go get one of them back (not wanting to half-ass it, I even wore an old pair of VF's) particularly as this section is closing next week for a couple of months of maintenance and remedial work.  Anyway, I knocked 5 seconds off, hooray, but this isn't even the funny bit.  He responded on Strava within around 10 minutes of me logging the run (this was around 7am in the morning) and then took it back about 3 hours later.

Conclusion: Strava CR's are fun but some people take them way too seriously

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"