Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks Mark.  The forecast is for the dreaded North East wind now but not getting really strong until about midday so I should escape it.  And it does mean it won't be below freezing and there won't be ice on the paths, although most of the course has tree cover anyway.

I definitely need to think about my easy pace/effort when I start full marathon training later in the year.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mark that's hilarious.

My Strava aggressive CR guy lives near me and daily seems to target crowns and make new segments.

Anyway I run past him alot and we scowl at each other but the other day I stopped and introduced myself to him ( I'm very forward  Wink Anyway he seemed nice enough.

Hes pulled his calf but still goes hard everyday sub 4.30 km pace for a 20 min 5k guy.

I added him to my Strava and commented that he should let his calf heal which was responded with silence.

Piwi / Calbears - heart rate is king when it comes to easy runs being easy.

Steve - good luck!!  I'm doing 35km tomorrow and will be thinking of you.  The weather forecast looks miserable here, windy and rainy - surprisingly similar to last year's Christchurch Marathon but not as bad.

Funny strava experience - some of you might recall the local guy I mentioned who went and sniped a bunch of short strava segments during lockdown a couple of months ago.  I had a short run planned this morning with a short hard effort section so I figured I would go get one of them back (not wanting to half-ass it, I even wore an old pair of VF's) particularly as this section is closing next week for a couple of months of maintenance and remedial work.  Anyway, I knocked 5 seconds off, hooray, but this isn't even the funny bit.  He responded on Strava within around 10 minutes of me logging the run (this was around 7am in the morning) and then took it back about 3 hours later.

Conclusion: Strava CR's are fun but some people take them way too seriously

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

Piwi / Calbears - heart rate is king when it comes to easy runs being easy.

Why do I hear irony in this? Though that's ok - I know I am not too good in distinguishing nuances of this still non-native language.

Re Strava story - I wish my daughter had just 1% of competitiveness that man has. But definitely not all 100%.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

I always ran by feel and the garmin 235 heart rate monitor confirms my recovery at about 5.30/km and easy from 4.30 to 5 min/km

My issue is when and how much speed work as this latest injury occurred during a 5 x 800 interval session.

I know this is different for everyone and we only find our limits by experience. The trouble is as we age those limits change.

Marky_Mark_17

Why do I hear irony in this? Though that's ok - I know I am not too good in distinguishing nuances of this still non-native language.

No irony (not this time anyway)!

Anyway I just had some time to kill while waiting for a haircut and something definitely doesn't add up with that CR.  He's put up this hilarious brag post on Strava and it seems a little weird that his HR was 130bpm while running the segment versus avg. 131bpm for the entire run (most of which was easy pace).  Considering also he was running 1km repeats in the 3:30's the other day (at a much higher HR) and is around a 1:20 half guy, it all seems a bit weird (he has a bunch of other CR's locally with an unusually low average HR too).

Almost every single CR he's got is a short segment (800m or less), at an unusually low HR, and at a speed he could plausibly be running at, i.e. if you were trying to pinch running CR's on a bike and not make it obvious, that's exactly what you'd do.  I don't know why he doesn't attempt longer segments - either he is legitimately an excellent short distance runner (which somehow has not translated to longer distance), or because the longer segments tend not to show up on the Strava segment explore function.

Anyway Strava CR's and all are fun but I care a lot more about fairness so I congratulated him and then challenged him to a duel at Parkrun once the Bomb Point loop reopens.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Hard to say but yeah surely his heart rate should have spiked on that effort. He could be a middle distance guy.

Love the competitiveness, reminds me of....me 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - LOL at you suggesting a duel and the guy having to backpedal, you are evil haha 

For maximum evilness you could flag his activity on Strava. He could ask Strava support to look into it but from personal experience it will be months before they do it and he will have lost the crown all that time hehe.

I'm very guilty of chasing Strava segments. Us mortal folks can't ever win races and PRs are far apart from each other, so we got to find something to keep entertained in the mean time. And taking away a segment crown from someone way faster than myself makes my day.

By the way, we're posting about our training weeks on an internet forum, we all take our running way too serious 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I was looking at the same guy after I saw your post on strava yesterday (my time).  I will bet money he is on rollerblades, scooter, or something like that.  I was looking at his times and the break down of his run and HR.  0% chance those are ligit.  All of my times are better than his in the "best efforts" and there is no way i'm throwing down a 2:07 on a .53 mile course.  And those are not even close to my fastest times since I only strarted strava last year.

Anyway I just had some time to kill while waiting for a haircut and something definitely doesn't add up with that CR.  He's put up this hilarious brag post on Strava and it seems a little weird that his HR was 130bpm while running the segment versus avg. 131bpm for the entire run (most of which was easy pace).  Considering also he was running 1km repeats in the 3:30's the other day (at a much higher HR) and is around a 1:20 half guy, it all seems a bit weird (he has a bunch of other CR's locally with an unusually low average HR too).

Almost every single CR he's got is a short segment (800m or less), at an unusually low HR, and at a speed he could plausibly be running at, i.e. if you were trying to pinch running CR's on a bike and not make it obvious, that's exactly what you'd do.  I don't know why he doesn't attempt longer segments - either he is legitimately an excellent short distance runner (which somehow has not translated to longer distance), or because the longer segments tend not to show up on the Strava segment explore function.

Anyway Strava CR's and all are fun but I care a lot more about fairness so I congratulated him and then challenged him to a duel at Parkrun once the Bomb Point loop reopens.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I looked again at the cadence.  You're right.  He is riding a bike in a very low gear.  You can see that points where he glides while still moving and the cadence drops off a cliff in other parts of the run. Also his HR data is completely out of line with his workouts as you point out.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

Flag his activity (or activities). Explain in the note that he cannot run it at that low HR. Better if he has some HR runs on a certified courses - HM or q0 K or 5K and see his HR. See what avg HR he had there. Those cheaters... You work like a mule for that and they just cheat - they should be sent to prison bastards...

Flag his activity (or activities). Explain in the note that he cannot run it at that low HR. Better if he has some HR runs on a certified courses - HM or q0 K or 5K and see his HR. See what avg HR he had there. Those cheaters... You work like a mule for that and they just cheat - they should be sent to prison bastards...

Prison may be a bit harsh Oleg 

CalBears

Prison may be a bit harsh Oleg 

You know, soft prison with no pay and 100% community work - and a lot of TV with commercials - that's how those prisons will make money...

JamesD

JamesD

The trouble is that we age.

Piwi - Fixed your post.

Steve - Good luck!  Looking forward to the race report on Zoom.  Might be even more entertaining if you're hung over.

This week felt like a couple of my base-building weeks in my last cycle.  Except after off days, I was slow & sluggish, it took me a mile or so to settle into an easy pace, and my legs got tired at the end of runs.  On the other hand, I'm relatively niggle-free, and I’m recovering pretty well after each off day.  If last time was any guide, I should feel better and be less slow in a week or so.  It’s been warmer this week too (TDP 151 today), and I should get acclimated pretty soon.  I’m not entirely certain, since I’m not running a measured route and am varying it a little each day, but I'm pretty sure I reached 50 miles this week, matching my best, and 200 miles for the month for the first time. Ran 11+ minutes more than I did the week I ran a measured 50 miles, and I doubt I was more than 13 sec/mile slower.

Sun - off

Mon - about 12 miles easy

Tues - 7.7 easy and very slow

Weds - 10.5 easy and very slow

Thurs - off

Fri - 12 easy

Sat - 7.8 easy including strides

Total - about 50 miles

12/26/52-week averages - 41/40/35 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

James haha so true! Nice week.

I just did a group longrun to finish at 75kms. I was hesitant incase my calf played up but it was fine all this week.

There were about 12 people including Sam Tanner sub 4 min miler and scholarship to Washington State. Also Hayden Wilde NZ triathlete and sub 14 5k runner. I stuck with 3 others back from that lot and we did our own thing.

Steve great effort in your time trial. I'm booked for my first South island visit in July. We should hook up for a run.

Congrats to USA and your success to space today. Awesome rocket and great  to see you get astronauts back to space from US soil.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks all.

piwi - sounds great!

Time trial was a struggle pretty much the whole way.  Time started to slip from 10km and I was very tempted to give it away, but some friends came to support me and I thought of you guys too.  I'm proud that I hung in there but I'm sick of that being all I can take from races.  One really good race in 4 years and that was because I had no expectations after interrupted training.  Something isn't quite right, I think it's not major but I can't quite find it.  When I keep having training runs which go better than races, something is wrong.

Final time 1:31.51.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024