Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

marky mark 1 beer per mile. It’s easier than per kilometer. Previously my rule of thumb for long runs. Hard part was deciding when to drink 10 beers, or when to run 16 miles. 

dps dude, your DAD is a giant compared to me. He is over half a foot taller than me (he is 6’3 right?) AND he could whip my fat ads in a race probably without trying. if he tells you getting old sucks say ‘yeah? Want to be short, fat, and slow cuz I know a guy who might trade you.’ 

JMac I was imagining what you looked like under that sweatshirt you were wearing. It looked 3 sizes too big. Child mall just isn’t long enough to cover the stomach is it? 

11 weeks until goal race. JD book looks like he wants a 24 week cycle. I’ll have to look through it but it might be phase 3 and phase 4 for my half marathon cycle. Unfortunately the training book is really good for fills with plans, and half marathon looks like a rough outline of one plan and the rest I’m supposed to make using my knowledge of his concepts. Have I hit the point where I should know how to train for a race without following the book plan? Seems kind of elite.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

No my dad is 5'9". It is my two brothers who are really tall. I'm 6'0"

dps dude, your DAD is a giant compared to me. He is over half a foot taller than me (he is 6’3 right?) AND he could whip my fat ads in a race probably without trying. if he tells you getting old sucks say ‘yeah? Want to be short, fat, and slow cuz I know a guy who might trade you.’ 

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

zebano

Hey all,

I know middle of the week is a strange time to update but life got busy.

First off sorry to those of you suffering injuries, it sounds like you caught them early which is good.

My week continues to include no running due to a foot injury. The good news is that I took my family to Universal Studios early this week and walked around for 3 days and had no issues so I think I'm going to try running a mile today. If it still hurts I guess it's time to see a doc.

Last week:

Mon: 800m swim, weights (mostly DL), and 40 min elliptical.

Tue: 1100m swim, 50 min cycling

Wed: 1650m swim, weights (squat), 1 hour cycling which aggravated my groin.

Thur: rest

Fri: weights (deadlift), 20 min elliptical hustle out of town to beat the freezing rain

Sat: 1 hour elliptical

Sun- 5 hours at  Universal

I'm kind of sad I didn't run while in Florida but my life goal remains run a race in each of the 50 states and that wasn't happening under any circumstance.

BMI. 24.2. I enjoy my beer though I'm trying to change that. My rule is 1 beer / 3 miles is acceptable.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

Oh yeah, since I've been cycling and swimming these past two weeks a friend talked me into signing up for a sprint triathalon... how in the world do the serious triathletes balance training multiple sports?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

dps Okay so I'm your dad's height at 165 and a BMI of "over weight" because fat kit likes his snacks.

zebano They don't sleep as much. Seriously, my mother in law picks up my son at 7am twice a week and she does her hour swim before she gets here. I assume that's a 5am wake up call, in the pool at 5:30, leaving the gym by 6:40 and to my house at 7:00. I can only compare it to marathon training running 70 miles a week and people asking how I do it. 90-105 minute runs twice a week and up to 2.5 on Saturday means I have to either give up everything I want to do on weekends so I can start training at 10am, or I get out of bed and deal with the weather. If I was dependently wealthy I'd have one of those in home infinity pools/spa things, a nice treadmill, and a kid who goes to bed and sleeps for 12 hours like clockwork. For my last marathon my wife was crucial to my success because she handled our son while I was out running, and I worked out in the garage (TRX) at 7:00pm after he fell asleep so I could get it done. I had to sacrifice the time on the couch with her, along with shifting my work schedule to get those 100 minute training runs done before dinner time, to make it work.

I think I figured out why a half marathon training cycle is going to feel weird. I've done all my recent races on marathon training and just jumped into them as a hard workout or a PR attempt. Half marathon training is going to hit more gears to me especially this Jack Daniels thing. 2-3 days of quality workouts with Rep and Interval paces being extremely fast sounding relative to what I'm accustomed to. When I step back and look at everything it's just speed workouts, and half marathon paced/Threshold runs. I just need to kick it into gear (next week) and get a training day for speed again.

R pace is for speed and recovery is 2-3 times as long as the run. This is for anaerobic power. The point is to get faster and keep a good form, not just go all out.

I pace is for aerobic power. This is for aerobic power and the point is to get the heart rate up, hold it there, and not fully recover before going again. This is probably where I've lived for marathon training speed work for a while and something I probably gravitate to just because of familiarity.

Threshold is for "getting comfortable being uncomfortable" as I like to say it. It's to get the lactate threshold pushed farther and farther away from it's current limit so you can run faster and the body doesn't produce as much lactic acid at the point it did before. It's uncomfortable and you'll get comfortable being there. Been here for a while except I think the pace will be speeding up.

All of this should help with trying to break 20 in the 5K locally, and getting that HM PR in April. Jack seems to favor the 200, 200, 400 workout. 12 Sundays until race day with a 5k race on March 15 which is 9 Sundays away from today. So it's time to get serious...which I don't want to do. It's easier to just run for fun instead of PRs.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Kimba - You do have something of a point there, as does JMac with his "moving pounds over distance" statement. Different body types/muscle makeup certainly lends a person to being better at shorter or faster races. You and Flavio, in particular in this thread, seem weighted (forgive the term!) towards the short stuff. I can't imagine me matching your mile PR, even when I was in peak condition just before Dallas.
              Semi-related anecdote: My brother (4 years younger) is simply built more muscularly than I am, and doesn't run at all. Plus, he really likes his chocolate. He can absolutely SMOKE me in a 200m race. In jeans! His body type is just more suited to shorter/more explosive movement than mine is. But as soon as things shift more to an aerobic nature he can't compete with me.
              Hopefully you're back to running all you want soon!

DPS - At "only" 6' you're still well above average height. I'm a bit of a genetic outlier in my family as not only the tallest ever, but also the first one of us to ever be over 6'.

Brew - Pretty good handle on things, but the recovery for R work isn't just 2-3 times as long as the run, it's however long you need in order to complete the next Rep with good form. Breaking 20 in the 5k should be child's play for you (this is probably about your T pace). Sub 19 is where you should be aiming.

Had a good workout today, but did it on the treadmill instead of outside. I certainly could have done it outside, but with really gusty and variable direction winds I figured I could execute it better indoors. Did a couple "extra" intervals than I probably would have outdoors.

We look to be getting a slight "break" in the upcoming weather forecast. Instead of freezing rain overnight and in the morning, the temp should hang out in the 33-35* (.5-1.6C) range while it rains. Nice!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Brew- Yeah. My dad now bmi "over weight"....but knocks out 3-10 miles at 9 min mile everyday and has lower blood pressure than me at 66. He eats enough beef for a small city soooo.....as stated above bmi not great.

Keen- I'm from the upper midwest. 6 foot is average here. 

All my extended family is under 5'10" except 6 of us (me+2 brothers, 2 cousins who are 1/2 native American with a 6'5" dad, and one cousin whose randomly 6'6").  I have 16 aunts and uncles by blood (14 more by marriage) and 28 1st cousins....and 6 of us are tall. Genetics are weird. But since we are all catholic with big families the tall genes pop up out of nowhere on occasion.

2023 Goals

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

zebano

BR -- that's a good point and ultimately it just comes down to how much time I want to prioritize toward athletics. I think some R paced work will really help you out. Your HM and M times blow mine out of the water so I think it will really help you nail that sub 20 5k. Do you do strides or short hill sprints? I know JD emphasizes the strides.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Kimba - You do have something of a point there, as does JMac with his "moving pounds over distance" statement. Different body types/muscle makeup certainly lends a person to being better at shorter or faster races.

Agreed.

If you want one more data point, my BMI is 18.2 (actually ranges between about 17.8 and 18.5, depending on where I am in the cycle, how well hydrated I am, and how recently I've pooped - when you're small, even a pound up or down significantly changes your BMI).

I'm short, and then I have a very small frame on top of that (I wear my Garmin buckled on the slot closest to the body of the watch).  As noted by others, if you have very small bones, you'll be carrying less weight, even if you have a lot of muscle.  I'm muscular - more of a mesomorph than an ectomorph.  But even so, unlike Kimba - everyone thinks I weigh MORE than I do Smile

As far as body type versus distance specialty - I agree with all the points made above - I think it's both carrying pounds over distance, but also that different compositions are better for different distances.  I am quite strong, but am not explosive at all.  When doing 200s, it is amazing how many of my teammates can absolutely smoke me - even those who don't run a mile as fast as I do.    On the other hand, I don't find long runs terribly intimidating or hard, even if they include a lot of marathon effort work; that's in contrast to many of my teammates.

We're all different.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kimba

"at least when I'm dressed"?  Do you have people guessing your weight when undressed?

Hahaha!  I refer to work-out clothes as not dressed, and work clothes as dressed, lol.  A line I hear from a lot of runners who don't usually see each other outside of running but then see the other runners in a social setting is, "Oh!  I didn't recognize you with your clothes on!"

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Dps - I see your huge and I raise you my huger haha 
                        I'm 183lbs right now, there's no way around it, all my PRs were set
                        at 178. Life was easier when I was running 60 miles a week, as it is right now I need to watch myself.

I'll get there.

Mark - Jeanne Calment, the person who lived the longest in history (122) also drank a glass of wine per day.
                        She also ate a pound of chocolate per week. You must be doing something right.

Genetics are weird. Mom is 4'11, dad is 5'4, I'm 6'1. My siblings are shorter and way shorter than me.

Maybe there was a tall neighbor ....

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Genetics are weird. Mom is 4'11, dad is 5'4, I'm 6'1. My siblings are shorter and way shorter than me.

Wow!   Genetics are crazy.

I have something slightly different.  There's no question I'm related to the rest of my family on both sides - similar facial structure, mannerisms, height, health issues.

But my extended family on both sides are completely unathletic.  Nobody runs, nobody cycles, nobody plays sports of any kind (sort of exception: my sister followed in my footsteps and rides horses and also swims a bit and hikes, but does not run).  There is absolutely no history of physical fitness on either side in the previous generations.  And yet, from when I was very young, I loved being active.  It's just weird.  It seems that usually athletic families beget athletes.  Not in my case.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sounds like my step-father's grandparents. Grandpa was something like 6'3 and grandma was like 4'nothing. They drove a Cadillac and grandma put the seat all the way forward, and grandpa put it all the way back. Thankfully I'm right in the middle of "average while male" for almost everything. Height, weight, grades, 5k times, etc. Give it the 'ol 73% effort.

Correction....Runners World gives me a 68.97% for my marathon time. D+. Ds are for Diploma and don't you forget.

VDOT 53.37 

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hahahaha (D for diploma)

2023 Goals

2024 Goals

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think with running you shouldn't count yourself against all other runners.  Count yourself against the whole population.  Your 5km time is now in the top 0.01%.  You're welcome.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024