Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Quote from JamesD on 7/6/2020 at 9:34 AM:

Here's an article by Alex Hutchinson talking about this -- how radiant energy plays a big role in comfort, and humidity probably more than temperature. They suggest that the present standard, wet bulb globe temperature, doesn't fully capture the effect of the sun's energy. Unfortunately, the alternative, physiologically equivalent temperature, is complex to calculate, so not much use to runners for now. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/2414728/physiological-temperature-research?

Interesting article. I'm not sure solar radiation makes me feel 25 degrees hotter like this article says, but I'd definitely put it in the 10-15 degree range. I actually tend to notice it more in the winter. On a winter evening run in the upper 40's, I generally need half-zip mid-weight and gloves. On a sunny noon run with no wind, I can do that run in a tee shirt and no gloves.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hot days....I miss them...

Here in belfast (as flavio would know)  it's summer, but we have 12-16degrees and clouds and rain and wind

I know sound nice if you are in the heat, and I would probably contradict myself if I was in Italy now, but it's hard to get out in the grey and cold weather every day Wink

I'll take my 90 degree humid days over that any day of the week. No idea how people live in that gloom.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Quote from JamesD on 7/6/2020 at 9:34 AM:

Here's an article by Alex Hutchinson talking about this -- how radiant energy plays a big role in comfort, and humidity probably more than temperature. They suggest that the present standard, wet bulb globe temperature, doesn't fully capture the effect of the sun's energy. Unfortunately, the alternative, physiologically equivalent temperature, is complex to calculate, so not much use to runners for now. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/2414728/physiological-temperature-research?

That 109F in the sun versus 84F in the shade example correlates nicely to my experiences. I'm not sure where you could get PET from so that makes this fairly useless at this point.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I'll take my 90 degree humid days over that any day of the week. No idea how people live in that gloom.

Yeah but Northern Ireland has got some amazing golf courses, so it’s not all gloom. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Belfast sounds like Dunedin - I could accept the freezing, gloomy winter if there was a summer of note.  Christchurch is only 350km north but has far nicer summers (nice enough for me to get in some decent hot weather complaining).

piwi - The weekend is looking a bit chilly for someone from Papamoa - you'll need your thermals and gloves for the easy paced Sunday run.

I had a session with my running coach last night (who seemed very happy to have a remote Zoom client, given Melbourne has gone back into a 6 week lock down) and based on my general soreness and hamstring strain (and knowing my history), his initial recommendation was not to do the race in 4 weeks.  He saw me baulking at that, especially given the lack of recent races so we worked through the best plan to give me a chance of performing in that race.  So I'll slowly add some moderate speed this week and if I get through that, some race pace next week.  It means I'll come into the race fresh but I'm not sure I'll necessarily be under trained given the body of work behind me.  For now I'll take each week as it comes and do my best to get to the start line.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah but Northern Ireland has got some amazing golf courses, so it’s not all gloom. 

I've bee golfing a lot this summer. Nothing else to do. Always wanted to a UK trip, maybe after this is all over. Although driving around Ireland and seeing guys playing in 40 mph winds with rain didn't seem so fun...

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I've bee golfing a lot this summer. Nothing else to do. Always wanted to a UK trip, maybe after this is all over. Although driving around Ireland and seeing guys playing in 40 mph winds with rain didn't seem so fun...

It’s character building......that’s why the Americans rarely win the Ryder Cup. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Steve I checked Christchurchs weather and looks like fine and frosty which I prefer over windy. I will probably race with gloves and take off and carry if I start to overheat.

Sounds like a good plan for you with your current niggle.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - sounds like a plan.  I doubt you'll be under-trained given the work you've put in, will be more just a case of getting a bit of fast stuff in there so you are race-sharp.

Unpopular opinion: Golf is a hobby not a sport.

Piwi/Steve - make sure you get a photo for the forum meet-up collection!  We will hopefully be able to add a couple more by the end of the year, which is not a bad effort considering the way this year has been.

We have had all kinds of fun weather the last few days here.  Last winter was pretty wet but somehow I can only remember a couple of runs where it was actually genuinely quite miserable.  Yesterday the rain was blowing so hard in my face it stung, first time I can remember that happening in a long time.  In those situations I always remind myself of two things.  Firstly, be thankful you can be out there running.  Secondly, you never know what the weather on race day might bring!  It turns it into a bit of a fun battle against the conditions rather than a miserable slog.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

OK Mark. But face the facts....golf is just field hockey as a marathon instead of an 800.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

OK Mark. But face the facts....golf is just field hockey as a marathon instead of an 800.

The only time you ride around in a cart for field hockey is if you're being stretchered off the field!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

In the States, we non rich folk walk the course. But you're still just a bunch of guys hitting a small ball with sticks into something. 😉

The only time you ride around in a cart for field hockey is if you're being stretchered off the field!

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - you also has not had thankfully any sickness that forced you to stop running.

That’s a common trait on people who live very long lives, they’re almost never sick.

I’m happy to hear you’re getting along well with the new osteo.

Darkwave - niggles are definitely a whack-a-mole game. As you’re getting stronger the weak link moves around.

JMac - I was in Venice a few weeks ago (a day before they opened Italy to the rest of the EU) and it was packed full of people!

Italians already forgot all about covid.

Marco - I certainly do not miss that Gloomy weather in Belfast haha.

Golf - In my mind I have this stereotype of Golf being a sport played by the rich hedge fund managers. I reckon it's not far from reality.

me - I got impatient today and stole the Strava crown I was supposed to take at the start of august.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3734997161

Also, we're in the process of switching coaches again. Unfortunately the VDOT coach was not very responsive and forgot to add my workouts twice in a period of 45 days.

It was such a shame cause he seems to be a very good coach. His strength for runners and prehab routine was top notch, very efficient, easy to follow, no equipment needed. I've learned that he was moving and they had a new baby so I guess he's bitten more than he could chew.

The VDOT platform however is amazing, it will sync your garmin runs to the platform and it will also sync the workouts prescribed by the coach to your garmin watch automatically.

Brian, the owner of the vdot platform also offered us first month free if we decide to go back to the platform.

I was overall very happy with the platform.

Anyway, we're now getting set up to work with another coach who uses the TrainingPeaks platform. He seems very responsive and he is available on Whatsapp for any urgent needs (injury,etc). Let's see how this goes.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CalBears

Marky_Mark - I watched short documentary on Peter Snell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUvMrHZwOZQ

Ha... He was a 800m / 1 mile runner but ran 100+ miles per week. You see where I am going? 

Btw, watching that documentary is like listening to the things you need to do for your training  - general but very useful details...

A funny piece - already an outstanding athlete but at one point he worked as a promoter for a cigarette company 

After watching this documentary I now understand why Piwi runs shirtless - you are not from NZ if you run in a shirt...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

In the States, we non rich folk walk the course. But you're still just a bunch of guys hitting a small ball with sticks into something. 😉

Never understood the hobby vs. sport arguments. What exactly defines a sport? Clearly there is competition in golf. Is it hand/eye coordination? Obviously a ton of that. Is it physical exertion? That exists too (walk 36 holes in 80+ heat, it's way harder than almost every run I do except a 22 miler). I mean by these definitions, a 30 minute run is not a sport, it's a hobby. There is no competition, it doesn't require hand/eye coordination, and it's not real physical exertion.

I might argue that golf is more of a sport than running. How about that for an unpopular opinion?