Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

But my extended family on both sides are completely unathletic.  Nobody runs, nobody cycles, nobody plays sports of any kind (sort of exception: my sister followed in my footsteps and rides horses and also swims a bit and hikes, but does not run).  There is absolutely no history of physical fitness on either side in the previous generations.  And yet, from when I was very young, I loved being active.  It's just weird.  It seems that usually athletic families beget athletes.  Not in my case.

That's really interesting.

My family are active without being particularly athletic.  Mum was and still is a horse rider, Dad did martial arts and a bit of running but his times weren't anything special.  My brother rode horses, he played field hockey too for a while with me but, remarkably, he was even less skilled than me.  Basically we all gave various activities a go but no-one was particularly special at anything!  It was actually a total fluke that I discovered I had some distance running ability too at age 34.

Total contrast to my wife's family where her dad played soccer fairly well, her mum was a top field hockey player (and represented NZ at Masters level), and both her and her sister were also representative hockey players.

Here's hoping my daughter has inherited my wife's sporting skill and co-ordination and my aerobic ability!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You forget we live in America, where there's a competition between what people are more allergic to: gluten or exercise

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

DPS D is for diploma. C is for career. A is for all start. B is for...good rhyming skills.

Steve Why set the bar so low so I can look awesome? Where is the fun in that? I'd have a bunch of fast people come up and start DOXXing me just to prove a point....that my 5k time is soft relative to my current abilities. Which I know.

JMac So have you picked any races yet? We're waiting. Don't tell me you're just sitting back living off the accomplishment of a marathon PR on a downhill coarse known for fair weather. You need to get out there and redeem yourself from such an embarrassment. Even I got over my major downhill race PR.

Thankfully I'm not allergic to much. A friend's and her son are allergic to a lot and I wouldn't wish that on many people I associate with. She's allergic to soy and waiters have told her "no it's gluten free" when she asks if it has soy. I AM slightly intolerant of this thing called "bullshit" and it seems to be unavoidable at times. It can be found at work, on the roads, high in the hills, and even at restaurants. I think it is a West Coast thing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve Why set the bar so low so I can look awesome? Where is the fun in that? I'd have a bunch of fast people come up and start DOXXing me just to prove a point....that my 5k time is soft relative to my current abilities. Which I know.

I'm not setting the bar low intentionally.  I'm pointing out that comparing yourself against runners isn't accurate when judging yourself against the population.  It's like a maths student comparing their IQ against their classmates only.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac So have you picked any races yet? We're waiting. Don't tell me you're just sitting back living off the accomplishment of a marathon PR on a downhill coarse known for fair weather. You need to get out there and redeem yourself from such an embarrassment. Even I got over my major downhill race PR.

I'm going to run a 5K on February 8, Cupid's Chase. Not thrilled with the race, as I'm not sure how well organized this thing should be given it's the charity 5K to end all charity 5Ks, but it's the only race that works for me in my cycle.

I am not in shape, have run zero workouts in 6 weeks, and am not training for a 5K specifically. At the moment, I have absolutely NO idea what my goal should be. I'll just set it at PR so Flavio can stop saying I'm sandbagging, but according to JD's VDOT, I should be in low 17 shape. But Steve - throw me down for a 16:50 goal.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I missed quite a lot of discussion about beer and wine and weight and sport... this forum moves too fast (and I am definitely slow online)... I like wine and I drink a bit too much when travelling but I have had a hangover for ages (might be 10 years...) so I'd say overall I enjoy but not overdo on alcohol. I love eating and combining good food with good wine, and that's where my BMI gets tricky (I am stable overweight, but I am OK now with it because of running, a few years ago I was fat, now I am just a bit heavy Wink

I am ramping up miles really quick this year, from a bad December and November due to work, I have decided that I need some motivation and that I either take the training seriously going back to were I was last year or I will have to give up PR and racing (I won't give up running as it helps with my mental health). So here I am with a 60 to 70- miles per week plan, trying to get to the Belfast city Marathon healthy and ready. I can hear your feedback and I know you are right, but please bear with me and tell me "told you so" if I get injured (I will agree).

For now let's see whether my old body can take it or not. After all I am decreasing speed and interval training and increasing miles, I am listening to my legs and body and I think I need this now, so I will go for it.

In order to fit this in the schedule, i am following Mark and wake up at 4:30 to run before the kids wake up (although since I am much slower, I ether run less miles or start even earlier...)

A part from the Belfast city marathon on the 3rd of May, I might go for a half or a 10K, but I have not any race decided yet. As many know already, my family is not exactly happy when I tell them I am going off to a race in the weekend given how much I am away for work and they are right, so I cannot really say anything... let's see.

have a great reminder of the week and weekend

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

kimba

So I ran yesterday (5 miles) and the day before (3.5 miles) with minimal discomfort in lower leg afterwards (it doesn't hurt at all while running; tightens up a bit after).  I've been massaging, IASTM, ice, heat, strengthening - hopefully I'll be able to kick this thing fully this time around.  I won't be stupid and do a 12 mile long run tomorrow.  No running today, and I'll try 6 miles  tomorrow.  I've been riding the stationary bike and elliptical for cross training.  And lifting weights.  Using the lack of running as an opportunity to push the squats and dead lifts.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Great to hear Kim! I do actually have a question for you as a PT: what are your thoughts on the whole ice vs. heat debate?

We will finally see the head to head battle we all announced last year ... Bekele vs. Kipchoge  .. this year, in London!

It'll be fun Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Corey - good to have someone else! Although you are WAY ahead of me in training right now. Travel plans are the worst for Boston, the hotels are just so outrageous it makes me sick.

Jmac  you could not train for the next few weeks and still run faster than I could.  Fortunately I don't have to worry about booking a hotel, I have a friend I went to school with she lives about 2 miles from the start and has offered to let my wife and I stay at her house for the weekend.  I just need to worry about getting up there.  We are planning on spending a few nights in NYC on the way up too.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

just about to head out to get my Saturday morning run in...

On the BMI topic 22.2 currently I'm a few pounds above what I would consider my "race weight"

Mark definitely Southern Lakes

Zebano sorry about your foot injury

Kimba glad to hear you have been able to put a few miles in

have a great day everyone

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

kimba

Great to hear Kim! I do actually have a question for you as a PT: what are your thoughts on the whole ice vs. heat debate?

I think the answer is, it depends.  I don't think the effects of either are particularly important in the long-term outcome of an injury, and usually ice or heat is just one aspect of a treatment regime, so it's almost just a personal preference.

If my treatment of a patient was going to be a combination of manual care and exercise for low back pain I might suggest heat as part of the warm-up period, but mainly just to relax the patient;  the best warm-up will be gentle, pain free movements to get the blood flowing.  But, if the patient is highly guarded due to pain, the heat can be effective in relaxing the patient.

I personally think ice is great for pain relief after an activity, but I always counter it with or combine it with movement and/or some sort of massage after the icing to re-establish blood flow to the area.  This is especially important if the injury is relatively new and needs healing - in some cases the inflammation in an area is bringing needed blood flow and other substances to the area that promote healing.  So the ice can be good for acute pain management, but then I would want to get the blood flow back into the area once the pain is curbed.

So, it's not really a succinct answer as far as I'm concerned (and I don't think the research is unequivocal either).  Using ice or not using ice is not going to make or break one's recovery and healing.  Other things are more important, like strengthening muscles, correcting imbalances/asymmetries or avoiding aggravating activities for a while.  I like ice, so I use it, but I usually follow the use of the ice with a hot shower and massage to re-establish blood flow to the area.

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013) 

JamesD

JamesD

Relatives & Sports - I’m an outlier too.  Of my 15 closest blood relatives, only one played sports seriously, an older cousin who was a good high school basketball player.  For those born before around 1960, it wasn’t something many people did after high school. My parents and some of my aunts were active in their daily lives, and some of us have more athletic spouses (DW played volleyball for her university and on club teams).

Me - Still creeping up in mileage, 46 this week after 45 last week.  At this rate I’ll be doing Keen/dps miles by...December?  My pace is still slow - I normally average around 8:20/mile, but easy pace has been 10-20 sec/mile slower than that recently.  I’m a little surprised that the added mileage makes that much difference, as I ran between 40 and 43 ten times last year, so it’s not that big a jump. Still, others of you who are faster than me run your easy days slower, so I guess it’s ok.  Also, I seem to be closer to normal pace the days after off days, which makes me think I’m recovering ok, and my heart rate is fine. Tweaked my knee on Thursday and have some stiffness & quad soreness, but I expect the rest day tomorrow will help.

Sun - off

Mon - 12.4 miles easy, 8:38/mile

Tues - 9.3 easy in steady rain, 8:45/mile b/c I was tiptoeing around ever-growing puddles

Weds - 7.3 easy, 8:32/mile

Thurs - off, stepped in a hole & tweaked my left knee

Fri - 10.4 easy, 8:27/mile

Sat - 6.8 easy incl. strides, 8:33/mile for the 5.7 pre-strides 

Total - 46.2 miles

12-week average - 31 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

So as far as comparing you to your class vs the world...if there was any question as to why I was more modest in my racing goals and meh about talent....here are the guys I run with Wednesday and Saturdays....and there are another 6 guys on the list before you get to my season best....

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Kimba - great news

Marco - great to hear from you, yes things do move a bit fast on here (especially when I get bored at work haha).

James -  nice week.  I think Keen/DPS mileage is solely for the superhuman mileage beasts amongst us!

Me - got the win in the Devonport 10k this morning!! They start the 5k, 10k and 15k at the same time (it's a 5k course) and two guys boosted off early but I knew one of them was doing 5k and was just hoping the other guy was too.  Not especially fast (34:41) but it was quite a slow course with a couple of hills and around 2k on trail.  I'll do a short RR later, but the legs were a bit sluggish (with 75km already this week!) to start and then kinda warmed up at about the 4km mark so I actually ran a negative split, which was nice.

M: weights

T: 14.1km easy

W: 16.2km easy

T: 32km incl. 2x5km @HMP

F: 6.2km recovery

S: 7.4km with strides

S: 12.5km incl. Run Devonport 10km race (34:41)

Total: 88.4km

I'm on holiday snowboarding in BC from Tuesday until Fri 7th Feb so the mileage is going to drop back a little.  I'm hoping I can keep it up around the 70km mark though, which should be enough to maintain fitness but also freshen the legs up before hitting things hard once we get home.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"