Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

A RE that high is very impressive. I think I topped out at .98-.99 with the old one (track TT), but since then haven't had a truly all-out race to see where I'd come in at now.

Since your power metrics were the same between Stryd and Runalyze it must be the extra wattage for overcoming the wind that is pushing RE/EI down. You do have your height/weight set properly in Stryd, right? That has a much bigger impact now. I know some people would have their height/weight set wrong intentionally to "trick" their original Stryd into showing watts/kg, but that doesn't work any longer since the calculations for how much wattage to attribute rely on height.

Runs will only show in PowerCenter if you have the Stryd CIQ datafield or one other particular one that I can't remember the name of. The guy who wrote that one is active in the Stryd community, so I'm guessing he worked with them to make sure runs with it could be imported. I think their stated reason for that is consistency, but I'm not sure it really holds up.

Garmin has never said anything about any of their writing run power to .fit files natively using Stryd or their chest straps - I never would have even noticed that they do if you hadn't brought this up. Who knows if it's something they've done from the beginning or if it's a precursor to actually fully supporting power in run modes?

Temps have dropped here over the last couple days (and will likely stay that way) due to some rain storms. At first I thought the cooler temps would be nice (low 70s instead of mid-high 70s) but the increase in relative humidity and dew points has absolutely CRUSHED me the last two days. To the point that I'm thinking of at least extending the rest portions of my workout tomorrow if I don't just switch it to an easy run.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I wish you could have seen my smile I had when I saw the dancing banana, greatest gift you could give me.

Baby girl, name is April. Mom and daughter doing well. For now we have some help in the house, so things aren't chaotic. That will surely change once she leaves. Gotta get my running in now.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - great to hear.  With your new addition and me being in taper week, you have crossed my mind a few times in the last few days.

And on that note, I've been fighting off a cold for the last 3 days - it hasn't really got me yet besides some tiredness so I'm hoping it will just disappear.  Not helped by half of the people in the office being sick and for some unknown reason, still coming to work.  You've got to wonder what it would take for people to stop doing this.  Not helped by our flexible working policy, which was mapped out before we came back into the office, still not being signed off for individual employees one month later.  Typical local council.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've gone into full mid-winter panic prevention mode, even though if I'm getting sick I know it's too late.  Even a placebo effect would be good.

If I do get sick, there will be some ranting about being sick for the first time in 2 years during my first half-marathon race week in 15 months.  But I'll save that for now, because this is more likely to be my usual taper craziness.

Supplies for the paranoid

Damn image won't embed...piwi can you tidy this up?

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I wish you could have seen my smile I had when I saw the dancing banana, greatest gift you could give me.

Baby girl, name is April. Mom and daughter doing well. For now we have some help in the house, so things aren't chaotic. That will surely change once she leaves. Gotta get my running in now.

You'll manage. I trained for Chicago with my son using that JD plan you turned me on to. At least your wife knows you're not out there just casually jogging or just walking because it's too hard. She'll know you're training for some kind of race which MY WIFE seemed to be okay with. She didn't even mind me running at about 4 or 5 am to get a 6 miler in as part of a double run day. Man those 70 mile weeks seemed MASSIVE at that point. I didn't run CIM that year due to it being my son's birthday weekend. Bad planning on MY part.

Congratulations again.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Here's Steve's image

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Jmac April is a beautiful name.

Is the home help the mother in law 

They can be hard to get rid of.....

Marky_Mark_17

Here's Steve's image

Was I the only one that immediately saw something phallic here?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Was I the only one that immediately saw something phallic here?

"Sometimes an immune shot and fruit is just an immune shot and fruit."

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - how did you do it???  I was kind of joking because I spent ages trying to get it to paste directly or imbed.  Maybe it's my browser.

I sent that photo to my partner and got the following response "Oh God.  I feel like I've seen this before.  Like every race".

Fair point.  Maybe I am imagining it after all.

I just got my race pack, such that it is, and my race number is #1.  Awesome.  This obviously means there are no elites and probably happened because I rolled over my entry from last year after getting injured so was the first to enter.

Mark - I'm going to have to go with CK on this one...although there's no doubt that the 3 pieces of fruit raises some questions about your interpretation but they are questions I think I'll choose not to ask.

2024 Races:

Mark even my dirty mind missed that 

Steve well you just need to have an understanding of computers.....

It's the 2nd box down after you upload to postimages. That's the box you copy then paste in the uploader on here ( mountain icon above )

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - you are probably right, and I was probably bored.  Although I suspect we need Darkwave to adjudicate on this.

Steve - when I got race number 0002 for Kerikeri Half Marathon, I placed second.  Just saying.  Honestly you should keep that bib for ever (I keep all my race bibs anyway).  It's often impossible to get bib #1 - either the low numbers are reserved for the elite field, or the race director keeps it for themselves.

JMac - I really like the choice of name!  It's kind of a big decision as they will (probably) be stuck with it for the rest of their life.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - when I got race number 0002 for Kerikeri Half Marathon, I placed second.  Just saying.  Honestly you should keep that bib for ever (I keep all my race bibs anyway).  It's often impossible to get bib #1 - either the low numbers are reserved for the elite field, or the race director keeps it for themselves.

Yep, I'll be keeping this one (unless it's a disaster).  To get first place I'll need a 24 minute PB based on the last time I was in this race.  I know David Sewell (former NZ cricketer) is running too and he's a low 1:20s guy.  So I'll need to be content with racing myself.

Edit:  I can't believe I forgot to mention this...I bumped into Nathan Jones in Cathedral Square yesterday and he's likely to run too.  He's a low 1:10s guy.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Edit:  I can't believe I forgot to mention this...I bumped into Nathan Jones in Cathedral Square yesterday and he's likely to run too.  He's a low 1:10s guy.

I assume this was the Christchurch Nathan Jones that works at PwC, not the Auckland-based triathlete (obligatory "which Nathan Jones are we talking about again?" response).

He was mid-1:14 at CHC half last year.  Plus, Sam Wreford might well show up, I think he lives in Timaru.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I assume this was the Christchurch Nathan Jones that works at PwC, not the Auckland-based triathlete (obligatory "which Nathan Jones are we talking about again?" response).

He was mid-1:14 at CHC half last year.  Plus, Sam Wreford might well show up, I think he lives in Timaru.

I'd say a fair few quick runners will turn up since it's the first half-marathon in the South Island since the Motorway half on March 1 I think.

2024 Races: