Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

watsonc123

I think the 10km is closer to a half in terms of feel. I would consider starting at HMP for the first few kms and then speeding up.  Every 10k I have started too quick and had circa a 30s positive split.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

James not exactly sure where you are located but there is a Half Marathon in Grenville, SC on May 16th I've never ran it but was wanting to at some point Mountains to Main

https://runsignup.com/Race/SC/Greenville/MountainstoMainStreetHalfMarathon

My week

Mon   off

Tue    3.9

Wed   6.2

Thur   8.2

Fri      off

Sat     18

Sun    13.6

Total for the week 50.1

I'll have to see what this coming week brings, my quads are a bit sore from the hills on Saturdays long run. I could feel it on todays 13.

I'm off work tomorrow and was planning on putting in a couple of runs I'll just have to see where my legs are and adjust the distance depending on how I feel.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think the 10km is closer to a half in terms of feel. I would consider starting at HMP for the first few kms and then speeding up.  Every 10k I have started too quick and had circa a 30s positive split.

Interesting.  I think that will be a wise move for me given I haven't specifically trained for it.  I expect pain but I'd rather not have misery and a death march.

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Kimba - awesome, using the break to get some extra strength training in. Kudos!

Mark - Nice one. I've won one race. A few years ago. Against some folks from a retirement home.
          I still remember that day fondly.

Steve - that's a great week, repeat after me: Consistency is Queen!
          10k is roughly 10-12 seconds per K slower than the 5K. YMMV.

Watson - I'm looking forward to see you back into training. Please keep posting, we need to keep watch of Steve lest he will
          post one of those 2 decimals again.

James - you need 6 to 8 weeks of faster work. We're in the mid of January. I think you could still base build and run those races you wanted to.

Darkwave - I've peaked at the marathon thread and it looks like you had a great result. Cheers!

My week below. I've managed to survive the painful lower back scare and the 13 hour bus ride to visit my parents and still got my 5 days of running. It was supposed to be a down week in preparation for today's tempo.

Today's tempo was okayish. 23C 73F not really ideal but managed a 4:05 per km. It's 7 seconds slower than what I need for a PR. I hope to bridge that gap over the next 4 weeks and with the colder weather expected on race day (10c 50f)

M: threw lower back off so no running

T: Had a 13 hour bus ride in the evening so no running again

W: 10 ez

T: 10x200I w 400 jog

F: 12 ez

S: 10 ez

S: 8k tempo at 4:05/im

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

kcam

An OK week for me. 72k of running with two 'workouts'.  One was 7.2k tempo run on Tuesday and the other a 8k hilly club race.  72k islight for what I wanted but I came down with some funky cold- like thing that was bad enough to miss two days of work (but only one day if running😈).  In feeling much better but still coughing up bad stuff.

Keep the ball rolling, everyone.

JamesD

JamesD

James not exactly sure where you are located but there is a Half Marathon in Grenville, SC on May 16th I've never ran it but was wanting to at some point Mountains to Main

https://runsignup.com/Race/SC/Greenville/MountainstoMainStreetHalfMarathon

Corey - I'm in Columbus, GA, on the Alabama border and a good ways south, so Greenville is 4+ hours away.  We were there in November when my son was looking at Furman, and the trail is certainly pretty and shaded.  I enjoyed running on it when we overnighted in Greenville several years ago.  Net downhill looks nice too, and Greenville may still be cool on mornings in mid-May  If our son winds up going to Furman, I'll probably find a way to run it in a couple of years. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Tired legs this week after the volume for the past three weeks.

M: 8 on the treadmill. Pushed the pace to around 8:08 because I felt good and wanted to just work on faster easy miles.

T: 9.25 miles. 7x800m repeats on the road. Had inclines. Had tired legs from 60 miles last week. Didn't hold pace.

W: 7 miles on treadmill easy

Th: 7 miles on treadmill easy - long day at work mentally and just wasn't feeling good

F: 5 miles on treadmill because of ice storm - recovery miles

S: 16 mile long run. Tried to throw in some HM mile repeats, but was facing 20mph winds with gusts 35+. Still got 4 total miles at increased pace.

Su: 4.5 mile recovery

Total: 56.75 miles

Not much on the workout front this week. I've just been tired.

Spoke with my buddy tonight and have been trying to get him to commit to run the Indy Mini with me in May. He's highly considering it, but wants to drop weight. If he hits his weight by Feb 22, he's in.

Short term goal is to finally break 19 in the 5k. I ran 19:00.5 in December. There's a race on February 8 I may give a shot. February 29 is another super fast and flat 5k, but I've won it with 19+ for the past two years and no one within 2 minutes of me. I need people to push me. An 18:50 gets Wave 1 seeding for the Indy Mini and if I could get that, it'd make me super happy and give me a lot of confidence.

Long term goal is to figure out what workouts to do. It's been 5 years since a HM, and even then, I just ran a lot and threw in random tempo miles. I feel like to actually fine tune speed work and tempo work that has purpose and goal, I could have a good race if all the stars align. My problem is not knowing what workouts to begin incorporating into my base. So that is a goal of mine.

I suppose it would be the question on if I focus on an intense HM plan with longer repeats at 10k-HM pace, will that create the 5k result I want to see, or do I continue pushing the 5k intervals, and then the second workout to be HM tempos for now...taking 5 years from racing hurt me.

spam
                  dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Bots

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marco - Looking forward to that match-up as well, assuming it actually happens. Kipchoge FTW!

James - Nice that you're building up the mileage still! I wouldn't worry about the pace at all. Once you really get used to the higher mileage (this week was 1.5x your recent average!) the pace will probably drop somewhat.

Mark - Saw the race win on Strava, way to go!! Also, it's crazy to me that you can get from NZ to BC in a 13 hour flight. It takes 11 or so for me to fly to Anchorage, Alaska...

Steve - It's great that your legs feel that good after your PR mileage week.

Flavio - Have you done better than just survived the back issue? It it all better, or lingering? Bravo for getting in that mileage and not missing any more days than that.

Pretty good week with two solid workouts. Two days on the treadmill (Thursday workout & Friday easy). Hopefully I can avoid that contraption this week.

5k: 17:58 11/22 β”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 β”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 β”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Well done Mark on the win! Thanks for the RR..Again great work all around this week!

I ran 50 miles last week, but no long on Sunday (it was really cold and we had people visiting so I first decided to shorten and then I didn't go at all... so I used Sunday as a rest day. Only easy miles last week as well, but a few more than the last couple of months. .

I will try to build on that this week (tomorrow I plan a 10-11 miles with 5 HR pace.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

zebano

Marky_Mark_17 Congrats on the win!

Flavio - solid week in spite of the back, I hope it's ok going forward.

mrakers good week, it's really hard this time of year to get the workouts in when there's ice. Oddly enough your description of HM training as run a lot and throw in random tempo miles sounds spot on.

CommanderKeen - How long did it take you to build up to being able to throw down double digit miles (almost) every day? That's impressive.

My week was pretty straightforward. Vacation, travel and crosstraining.

Mon-Tue: walk around Universal Studios

Wed - fly home

Thur - 1KM swim, weights (squat day), 10 min run to test the foot (still painful)

Fri - 40 min bike (10 min ez, 20 min moderate, 10 min ez) + 20 minute elliptical to try and simulate a brick without actually running. It didn't work I think because the elliptical places way more pressure on the quads than the hammies.

Sat - off, slept 9 hours and took a nap midday rather than go to the gym.

Sun - 1KM swim, Weights (deadlift day), 40 min EZ bike.

I'm seeing the doctor in an hour, I really hope he has good news for me but I'm preparing to hear that it's a stress fracture and I'm going to miss my scheduled February races.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - I'm not sure exactly how long it took the first time (probably a solid 6+ months from usually doing ~7/day), but last year when I was building back up from being out 6 weeks for various illnesses I think it took me 6-8 weeks. I built up to 6-7 miles every weekday morning (12-15 long run, usually) then started adding in an easy 2-3 mile double on lunch. Splitting up the mileage like that made it much easier on me to get 10+ mi/day than if I had tried doing it all as a single run. Once I was at that mileage overall every day I started extending the morning run until I was doing 10 or more as my usual morning loop and dropped the double unless I'm trying to put up more than 80 mi/wk.

5k: 17:58 11/22 β”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 β”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 β”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Marky_Mark - I'm late, but great report and congrats.  A U-turn at the bottom of a hill sounds awful, VFs or not.

I'm dropping off my week and race report, and then will hope to catch-up later.  Race+travel plus unpacking/catching up on life took up a lot of time today.

44 miles, 12 "miles" of pool-running, and 500 yards of swimming
                              M: upper body weights, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.
                              T: 11 miles, including track workout of 1600, 3x800 in 6:12, and then 3:01, 2:59, 2:58. Recovery of 4:50 after the 1600, 2:41 and 2:31 between the 800s. Followed with leg injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming..
                              W: DIY yoga and 7 miles very easy (9:22) plus drills/strides.
                              Th: Light upper body weights/core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.
                              F: 7 miles, including 1600 up-tempo (6:22).
                              Sa: 2 miles very easy (9:30) and DIY yoga.
                              Su: 3.5 mile warm-up, Houston Half-Marathon in 1:25:33, and ~.5 mile jog back to hotel.

Race report for Houston is here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

kimba

I’ll be ducking out of here for a bit - sprained left ankle, crutches, can’t put weight on it.  I think the world is telling me to stop running.

800m:  2:20.3 (2015) | 1 Mile:  5:13 (2016) | 5K: 18:32 (2010) | 10km: 39:55 (2012) HM: 1:28 (2013)