Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Mikkey I'm contemplating it but dont think there is room past the finish line to run like a mad man 

The other option is to go past one of the turnarounds by 200m. It could mean missing out on an age group medal etc. I hate putting in all this work for it not to be a legit 10k.

I did a quick search on Strava and the 2017/18 half marathon course measured 20.8km.  That was the original course though, which was point-to-point rather than the new out and back course.  TBH I'm not that fussed as I'm running it as a tune-up race and it won't be a PB.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I found a Strava entry from last years 10k at 9.83 kms for the 10k so they haven't adjusted the course since I last ran it in 2017.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey I'm contemplating it but dont think there is room past the finish line to run like a mad man 

The other option is to go past one of the turnarounds by 200m. It could mean missing out on an age group medal etc. I hate putting in all this work for it not to be a legit 10k.

Then do a U turn back onto the course...you could always raise your arm to the spectators and make it look like you’re celebrating the over 50 AG win. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I will try and find somewhere to jog out that last 150m or so  even if it's at 5 min/km pace

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

The Endorphin Speeds showed up a bit ago (3 days late). Box was smashed, but the shoes are fine. Like a true running/shoe nerd I couldn't resist trying them on for size and running up and down the block.

The closest pair of shoes I have for comparison are the 4% flyknit, but the Sauconys have a better/roomier toebox, are a bit more flexible (nylon plate instead of carbon - I'd imagine the Pros would be more comparable in that department), the heel is more comfortable (the Nikes rub my Achilles unless I'm wearing taller socks), and there's certainly a "rolling" forward feel to them. No awkward "wobbly/bouncy" feeling when standing or walking (certainly not relevant to a running conversation). I'd say they're true to size, compared to Nikes which seem to run a bit small to me. I'll need more time in them to compare how the foam feels. 
            I'll probably wear these for my workout Thursday, and will report back if I do.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

watsonc123

Then do a U turn back onto the course...you could always raise your arm to the spectators and make it look like you’re celebrating the over 50 AG win. 👍

There's the risk that the guy ahead who Piwi thought was in his forties, is actually in his fifties.

Some more GPS and course accuracy - because we cannot get enough:

I raced a 10km once which was almost perfectly "there and back".  I had 4.96km "there" and 5.04km "back", giving me exactly 10.00km.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I ran with a friend once - I wanted to get 10 in; he wanted 10.5.

We ran together step by step.  At the end of the run, I had 10 on my watch, he had 10.5 on his...  It was magical.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I dont want to be too cocky. Theres at least a couple of local 50+ guys who are a level above me. Im more concerned with getting a legit 10k time up.

There's the risk that the guy ahead who Piwi thought was in his forties, is actually in his fifties.

Some more GPS and course accuracy - because we cannot get enough:

I raced a 10km once which was almost perfectly "there and back".  I had 4.96km "there" and 5.04km "back", giving me exactly 10.00km.

Darkwave that's funny  My old Garmin FR 15 would always read 100m short over 10kms compared to my running mates who beeped at 10kms. I would then keep running around the carpark till I got my 10 

CK those shoes are getting good reviews. They should be a great shoe for you.

I had terrible low energy runs Monday and Tuesday and was thinking uh oh have I lost my enthusiasm but a solid 5 x 1000s today got me back on track.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi I wouldn't worry about it if it's 9.98K or something like that. Just add a little bit of time and call it. 9.8 would be bad though.

I've decided I'm going to go for a 5k/10k block this fall. I doubt any races will be run (for unknown reasons, don't ask why, can't get in trouble over here too), but I've learned this cycle of just slow running makes me slower. Guess base building isn't for me. Hopefully we do have races again next spring, I've dealt with this all year but if there are no races next spring, that may be retirement for me as I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac hang in there we will come out of the other side of this thing eventually.

My course is likely 9.8kms so pretty bad.

Marky_Mark_17

Hopefully we do have races again next spring, I've dealt with this all year but if there are no races next spring, that may be retirement for me as I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Full disclosure, I've been asking myself a bit over the last couple of weeks "what's the long-term plan here Mark?".  I think the grind of 100km weeks probably has a bit to do with that (I haven't had a week less than 50 miles / 80km since February).  I also think it's partly because I don't know how I'm going to feel about marathons after Rotorua (if I decide I love them, problem solved).

I'm definitely doing NZ Road Race Champs in November (assuming I recover OK from the marathon) and Southern Lakes Half Marathon on May 1 next year (assuming we don't regress to some form of lockdown), which is an absolute bucket list race for me.  Between, and beyond that I'm a little bit unsure.  At one point I would've definitely said I want to run one of the major marathons but it's hard to see that happening any time soon.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Mark - you can always take an approach of lowering volume (keep the quicker sessions) and take a casual approach to races.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mark I think everyone gets a bit overwhelmed during marathon training.

Personally I have no desire for a marathon at this stage.

They are a different beast. Take them out of the equation and it removes alot of stress.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Well you know I struggle through this all the time Mark. Piwi is a great model for us, but you see his struggles too. The high mileage of marathon training can definitely lead to burnout. I find I'm enjoying things more in the 50-60 mile range (with down weeks in the 30s) than the 70+ range. I also think there's something to only having X good years of racing in your body, no matter what age you start.

It woul be great if you did the NYCM given you have relatives here. Cant imagine how different it is than what you guys normally race, so it woul be quite the experience. Maybe in 2022 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Piwi I wouldn't worry about it if it's 9.98K or something like that. Just add a little bit of time and call it. 9.8 would be bad though.

I've decided I'm going to go for a 5k/10k block this fall. I doubt any races will be run (for unknown reasons, don't ask why, can't get in trouble over here too), but I've learned this cycle of just slow running makes me slower. Guess base building isn't for me. Hopefully we do have races again next spring, I've dealt with this all year but if there are no races next spring, that may be retirement for me as I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Has your "base building" been strictly easy miles? In my opinion that's not really base building that's just what you do when you don't want to train or when you're trying to reach new mileage goals. True base building IMO includes some light workouts and strides. Google "summer of malmo" for an example, or I think this page from strengthrunning sums up my views on base phases pretty well.

Piwi, assuming the race has measured things in advance, I don't usually worry about what my watch says unless it's way off.

Keen - I"m eagerly awaiting the shoe review!

I'm also in the camp that true marathon training is grueling and boring, hence why I really don't do it.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)